astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
It's this time of the month again, lads

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/sh/dm7cymghws1qune/AABu_kzBJmxC7xjiar2nWJYma/Class - Martial Adept v0.7, by Kittenhugs.pdf?dl=0
docs.google.com/document/d/1zHLtUBIOpuzbhov9Jk6GsCgftm1TIb2_Q8oHBWo26Jk/edit
youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

For example

>Glovia is dropped in the Blood o' the Wine Tavern
>Glovia has been serving as the town healer ever since the Priest has taken a leave from his senses and so she tends to the party's wounds and corpses from Death House
>Vasille becomes the Burgomaster's emissary and they go to rescue him in order to establish trust with Ismark in order for him to introduce them to Kolyan Indirovich
>Kolyan is still alive
>Ireena works as an aprentice to Glovia, and because of her vital role as the only other town healer, has refused to abandon her town for the sake of her patients
>The Wight who ambushed Vasille fights the party, but escapes before they can kill him, without them knowing he'll alert Strahd for the presence of the adventurers who have clearly made contact with the Kolyan
>Strahd hasn't attacked the Indirovich mansion ever since the adventurers arrived. He fears Ireena will die before he can take her, so he counts of outsiders source of entropy to disrupt the cycle enough for him to take his bride

Is there a good Swordsage archetype for 5e? I've looked at the Martial Adept class in the OP dropbox but the class features seemed a bit boring. I also took a peak at the Blademaster class someone made but with my untrained eyes I couldn't really judge it.

dropbox.com/sh/dm7cymghws1qune/AABu_kzBJmxC7xjiar2nWJYma/Class - Martial Adept v0.7, by Kittenhugs.pdf?dl=0
docs.google.com/document/d/1zHLtUBIOpuzbhov9Jk6GsCgftm1TIb2_Q8oHBWo26Jk/edit

Which version would you guys use, or do you have a better one perhaps?

>The party arrives in barovia with Vasille and surrender him to Glovia and Ireena for care at the local hospice
>Ismark is grateful for the rescue of his vassal but concerned. When he went to his father, he revealed that he was already expecting them, and that has to do with Vistani trickery, whom Ismark *heavily* despises.
>So he advises caution and downtime for the party to walk around and do their downtime shit in Barovia before coming to the mansion whenever.
>When they do, Stanamir, playing the role of Sybil comes as an envoy of the Vistani caravan to the west, whom Madam Eva as tasked with the sharing of a vision, as a sign of good faith between them, a proof of her credentials, and an invitation for their visit.
>The dream sequence happens as normal except the role of the "Pretty Lady" is replaced by that of the "Handsome Man" who is
>The Abbot! He trades Glovia Falinescu's research into Flesh Golem surgery procedures for assistance in the ritual she needs to raise her daughter.
>Strahd interrupts the vision with an attack on the town of Barovia!
>The combat encounter runs the same except instead of a storage area with provisions for winter, you have the hospice with all the patients
>And lo who is leading the fight if not the wight they failed to kill before!

Just take the Blood Hunter from Mercer.

Just play a Kensai Monk.

I was hoping to use Maneuvers and such as I never got a chance to play Swordsage in 3.5 before our group moved on to 5e.

I am considering a Ranger/Rogue character for my next one. Intended to be an Archer, I planned on going for level 2 dip in Ranger for Favoured enemy Humanoids (it is an Elf who used to hunt human bandits for sport) and archery fighting style, and then full Rogue.

No UA allowed, and I am not sure if level 3 makes sense to go for in Ranger. I really don't want to delay my Sneak attack die or Rogue abilities more than I have to.

Which way should I go about doing this? Ranger2/RogueX, or a few levels of rogue before my dip into Ranger?

Keep your 3.5 cancer in 3.5 please.

>The party tries to save Barovia from the assault, while in the background, Strahd triumphant swoops down from the heavens in his flaming steed to claim his bride
>Alas, rage overwhelms him when a few turns later it is revealed that she is out of his reach. Glovia has absconded with her aprentice!
>Kolyan dies before revealing the whereabouts of his daughter, but with the help of the survivors the party knows the location of the secluded Falinescu manor, and they rush to the rescue.
>The Manor dungeon happens almost entirely as normal. Some heavy research reveals the Short Rest cider gains their properties from a mysterious apple whose seeds are somewhere in the Wintergarden in a mason jar
>This apple of course, will be revealed to be the fruit of the Gulthias tree. It adds tragedy that Glovia found the cure to isabella's illness a long while after she was dead, but the seeds make for an intersting NPC for the druid
>The role of Sorina's father is played by Ismark, who has rushed to save her and got captured, leaving a trail of corpses and wreckage in his wake before his capture.
>Glovia's research into the ritual reveals they all failled do to a "containment breach" of sorts. She is slowly stumbling onto the fact that not all Barovians have souls, and because of that, not all of them were suitable hosts for her daughter before.
>Before the final confrontation with Glovia, she is casual about what she is doing, believing she is doing ireena a favor, as in a way, she is saving her from Strahd's atention
>They duke it out in battle and save ireena at the cost of a tortured and sympathetic villain
>The end

Spoilers are gay

>no UA allowed

Does that mean that you're not allowed to use Revised Ranger? If so, then don't fucking bother dipping into Ranger at all. Unrevised Ranger is hot dog shit and won't be worth meeting the Wisdom requirement to multiclass into it, much less missing out on two levels.

If you can use Revised Ranger, then going to 3 in Ranger might be worth it so that you can pick an Enclave. Every Enclave has pretty powerful level 3 abilities, but Hunter is probably the one that's most fitting for your concept.

Too bad about banned arcanas, because Scout archetype for rogues sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

Level 3 Hunter abilities are IMHO worth of sacrificing +1d6 of sneak attack (pick Collossus slayer or Horde breaker).

Unless you're using revised ranger, Favoured Enemy kinda sucks. Archery fighting style is good, but you might want to consider Fighter 1 to get it instead - it will eat less levels of your main class.

Seconding this. If you're not playing a caster, no need to go ranger

Just be full rogue with Urban bounty hunter background.

Backstory != mechanic.

Cheers, I will go for fighter 1 then. Would it be best to pick Fighter or Rogue first?

I really want archery fighting style, and I need to MC to get that.

You want +1 HP and heavy armor proficiency OR one more skill proficiency? That's the only difference in the long run.

I personally would choose rogue1/fighter1/rogue X because having a lot of skill proficiencies is my fetish.

Food and provisions you say?

>playing a Bard
>Going through a dungeon where we uncover a goblin underground empire
>GM goes full Darkest Dungeon with Goblins of various kinds.
>At the end of the first 5 encounter dungeon, we find a Goblin Slayer longsword, which adds Charisma mod to the damage of the sword, and counts as a +3 longsword when fighting Goblins.
>Nobody wants it. I take it
>level 3 now, and I can't decide on my path anymore.
I was going lore bard. I was going for a supporty caster with a lot of healing and buffs, and even went inspiring presence feat for my VHuman start.

Now it feels like I am an idiot if I dont focus on this. We have already been introduced to a Hobgoblin who soloed an Ancient Dragon, so I am pretty sure we aren't going to be facing much other than goblins. My Strength is 10.

What the fuck do I do. Do I just use this sword as a nice free way of doing damage, or do I go full Valour Bard? I am completely lost. It doesn't fit the concept I had in mind at all, and he didn't even have anything other than a knife as a weapon at first, because he wasn't meant to fight.

I have never been this torn about a character choice before. God damn man.

Definitely going Rogue first then. Might just go Rogue 2/Fighter 1/Rogue x, just for that early cunning action though.

What a the verdict on most effective Rogue? I don't care for assassin, but I am a bit torn between Thief and Arcane Trickster.

anybody got in pictures of thri kreen that look like flower mantises, its how they look in my setting? pic related.

Just cause you have it doesn't mean you need to use it. If your bard isn't the kind of person to get up close and personal, then don't.

What do you want to do?

Your character concept should change and what not, but i would stick with lore, especially if you are going to be comic relief.

Arcane Trickster is far and away the strongest of the three, mechanically, even if I personally prefer Thief, flavor-wise. Assassin and Thief don't really give you a lot of benefit compared to Arcane Trickster, and what benefits they do give you won't show up nearly as often as the use of your spells.

Honestly? Sell the sword and do what I do.

I just feel like I am a gigantic idiot if I do.

It's like.... imagine playing a melee fighter, but the GM drops a +3 crossbow in your hands. I have a hard time justifying not using the clearly superior weapon.

I really want lore, so I will probably try to stick with it, if only to keep myself from making a choice that will prevent me from getting the magical secrets I want. I almost hate my GM for putting this on me/us, because dropping a completely overpowered weapon in our hands this early, when none of us want it (Paladin with GWM and GWF, Moon Druid and Sorcerer). Why do some GMs do that? For what purpose?

Why not just make it a dagger or short sword or whatever, or even a greatsword, make sure someone actually cares about it.

Cool, I was hoping for that.

If I am going for the concept I have in mind, would Magic Initiate Wizard, or Ritual Caster Wizard be a semi-viable choice, and which would be better?

I know my group will not have much in terms of magic, especially not rituals, so I would like some options in that regard.

Or do what I do with my bard. Hoard it for a massive leverage against the King of the Goblin enemies, who will happily trade you for an instrument of the bards of your choosing

How you deal with players who try to push you into adding magic items? I'm talking about guys who suddenly mention "having heard of itemX" during an important piece of dialogue. What do you do with them?

Red herring them. Start dropping hints about its location and how to get it and when they find it it turns out to be completely mundane and the powers attributed to it came from its original wielder.

Remind them that they are free to create magic items during downtime, provided they can afford the exorbitant costs associated with doing so.

Then start enforcing lifestyle expenses, provided you don't actually want to let them produce a shitton of them and leave them laying around like the proverbial wizard with no sense of right and wrong.

Add magic items you dick, but make them interesting and not just +x weapons.

Don't do this Guaranteed to lose you players.

Magic items are what make shit fun, especially if they're non-combat like an alchemy jug or decanter of endless water.

Add in magic items. Maybe not necessarily the items your party is trying to sniff out, but magic items nonetheless. Give em some utility accessories or rings, or devise a "knockoff" weapon that's sort of like the one they want, but less powerful or has some odd effect to it.

As the guy who posted I do agree with you, magic items are what make shit fun and you should give them to your players, but not if the player is a faggot who starts making shit up IC to try and get the DM to make the item for them. That's extremely shitty and deserves an equally shitty response. Now if they'd asked between sessions if such and such an item could turn up or asked if they could craft it in downtime or the like then sure, but making shit up IC so the DM feels pressured to put that shit in for them is out of line, it's essentially metagay of the highest order and you don't want to encourage that shit at all.

That said at the end of the red herring example I gave I wouldn't just straight shaft them, they'd get a magic item from it for sure, or maybe some training from said wielder that gives them SOME of the power, just not exactly the one they wanted because they didn't have the common decency to just have a polite chat with the DM about it out of session. D&D is supposed to be a cooperative experience between the DM and players, you don't just bypass that shit and try and put the DM on the spot like that.

why the fuck is there a giant chunk of amethyst sitting off the edge of the table?

rock candy

These all look super fucking disgusting.

You leave it out in the open and wait for a svirfneblin to jump out and try snatching it. That's when you light him up with scorching ray or some crossbow bolts. You must both nourish your body and your soul, user.

First one to look half dect and it's half-orcs.

>1st world problem: too many fine dining options, had never been hungry
Seriously? it looks delicious, I'd eat any of them.

TIL Lizardmen are french.

They look like fucking shit, also I fucking hate cheese

It's also super inspiring.

To me, at least. My check clears in an hour or so, and I haven't been able to get a meal in a couple of days. Shit sucks, but it'll be over soon enough.

I'm thinking of getting something like .

begone troglodyte

You're practically eating curdled milk.

we need not your dark kind here

Curdled milk is uncultured cheese.

Likewise, you are a curdled man.

Not like us warforged need to eat anyway

Be very cautious of giving players the exact magic items they want. Or letting them do so. It's how you break games. The earlier editions that had "magic item economies" were busted partially because of it.

I have a personal anecdote in which our DM let the party all spend a certain amount of gold on buying magical items while we were in a city. I was playing a Fighter and still had my shitty chainmail, so I opted to spend the entire allowance of my gold on mithril full plate, because I needed full plate, I wanted to stop being such a horrible burden on attempts to avoid detection, and I thought it was neat flavor.

The Bard bought +1 studded leather, a +1 longbow, and bracers of archery, spending less gold than I did for just my plate. She did better damage than anybody else in the party for quite a while, despite being a Lore Bard and our healer.

Magic items can be INCREDIBLY powerful, and you shouldn't hand them out too promiscuously. However, the game is balanced around the party, especially martial characters, having them, just not too many, and not the best ones.

>UA: Food and Provision edition
You got me, you glorious son of a bitch.

Just got invited to DM a game in less than a week. Can you guys give me some plot/villain motivation ideas?

Making a new character at level 1 and coming up with nothing. Anyone have any character inspiration?

Thanks for taking one for the team and having all of the shit taste in the thread.

"Why not?"
The villain saw an opportunity, had the skill/clout/means to do something nasty, and did it because why not?

Both the party and a powerful mindflayer (and his minions) were looking for a treasure in a big dungeon. They fought and beat the mindflayer but he managed to planeshift out.

Now I want him to come back after he finishes a long rest, who should we come back with? An inquisition? More minions? Or maybe use him as a "hurry and finish the dungeon before he can come back"?

The players were eager to kill him though.

What is it with americans and their cheese? Everywhere I go that serves american food or is run by an american company loads everything with cheese.

Cause it's fucking delicious, m8

Wishes to merge the abyss with the material plane?

Don't know anything about the swordsage, but Battlemaster has some nice maneuvers.

It's ok in moderation but americans seem to load everything with it.

Roll a Mystic. Take the Nomad discipline and the Mind Meld talent.

Your motivation is sheer fucking boredom. You're willing to follow the group around and help them out in exchange for someone occasionally sharing a fun memory with you through the use of that Mind Meld talent.

Nah, wishes to merge the local heaven equivalent with the material plane so everyone can be with their loved ones.

My main gripe is that these are all perishable, some could last a few days, but several would only last for a few hours unrefrigerated (seafood ffs). They could certainly work as dishes at an inn, and they do look tasty and give at least some vibes of the races they're meant to represent, but they're not rations.

Dried, salted, smoked, pickled and cured food is what rations would often be made of. And they'd frequently require some preparation, e.g. dried grains need boiling or baking, salted fish needs watering, etc. By keeping how perishable food is in mind you can create a clear distinction between "tavern food" and rations.

I'm jelly. I love whole honeycomb, but it's almost impossible to get them where I live - the beekeepers immediatelly throw them into extractors and have no delicious combs for sale.

A long rest is 8 hours, they should be able to finish the dungeon.

You have the FREEDOM to order your food without so much cheese while you're in AMERICA.

>No UA due to holiday, but it's a fun one
What did Mearls mean by this?

>no rations_dragonborn.jpg

Chaos is the prized tool of the lawful.

When everything's in anarchy thosee who can impose their will and structure on others come out on top.

F O O D & P R O V I S I O N S

It will be a boring one or he meant that the holiday is a fun one, only possible explanations.

While true, I'm a bit too hungry to nitpick over that. That said, I'm going to save these images as "tavern_food" and list the races as appropriate.

When you're right, you're right. And you? You're right.

I don't know if I can find honeycomb in my area anymore. I used to know a place that carried it, but they may have shut down with Walmart moving in.

Pray for my successful searching, man. I think I'm going to need it.

Not him, but I thought about making a Nomad who focuses on being a mobile battlefield controlling tank.
I will teleport into position, swap places with allies who are in bad positions, and use many of the Wu Jen and Immortal discliplines to have crowd controll and tankiness.

Problem is I don't know what race to take. We rolled for stats, and my 3 best ones are 15,15 and 14, which will of course be put into Dex, Con and Int.

Variant human seems like the best choice, but High Elf could also work. With High Eld I could use Booming blade to have good damaging options without spending Psi, and with variant human I could either take Crossbow expert and Nomadic Arrow for the same reason, or tough for extra tankiness.

>No UA due to holiday

Maybe not, they have a lot of rooms left.

I'd normally recommend a Forest Gnome, if only because having Minor Illusion means that you could drop a quick illusion of a stone wall to save your ass in a pinch. It also provides you with +2 Intelligence and +1 Dexterity, which is always good. Further, advantage on Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saving throws against spells? Yes, please.

It's ultimately your call, though.

One discipline you might want to look at for flexibility purposes is the Mantle Of Command, along with Nomadic Mind. The Psychic Focus benefit is beautiful for out of combat utility, as well as in-combat utility if a motherfucker tries to grapple you when you're busy doing something else without having Athletics proficiency.

Each of the provisions sets also has some currency to go with it. For Drow they decided on gemstones.

UAs are released on Tuesdays. What does a Monday holiday have to do with a Tuesday release?

Forest gnome seems also like a good choice, but the 25 feat of movement could hurt.

As forest Gnome I could use the 14 for int and a 15 for dex, giving me +3 in both. Then at level 4 I could get resilient Con to get to +3 as well and better saving throws to hold concentration. After that I would put my ASI into Int probably.

This guy does 18th century cooking, but a lot of the methods were established earlier and could work for d&d tech levels. If you search for soldier food, rations or frontier you'll find some good food that also lasts.

youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson

Enjoy your meal user.

They take the whole week off I think, because their job is that low effort.

Also something about morale idfk.

There's a feat specifically for 25 speed little races to bump them to 30.

Considering running the lost mines of Philadelphia as my first foray into 5e DMing. I know there's roughly a 75% chance at least one of my players will read (or already has read) the module though.

What changes to the plot could I make to keep them on their toes? Maybe make Mr. Green Dragon into a Copper one or something?

What feat do you mean? Mobile gives 10 feat.

Squat Nimbleness
UA Feats for Races

use bruce springsteen as background music.

make a tom hanks npc and have the party fight against the discrimination he's facing because of his aids.

Guys I am having some trouble balancing encounters, I think I have given an item too powerful for a lvl 3 party.

So my party was bartering in a magical shop for a lower price on health potion but the Yuanti Swashbuckler who has expertise in persuasion rolled a nat 20 so the vendor offered to give them free of charge a holy avenger greatsword which the Paladin of the group is using right now.

He is totally obliterating zombies and skeletons right now, what the fuck should I do?

>fun
>FUN

Mearls pls.

Dont tell them what you are running.

Change venomfang to another dragon type just in case a smart fag picks a race with poison resistance.

Change magic items place or the dungeons