Space Opera Thread

To talk about any sci-fi game or other media than doesn't merit its own thread, post about your prefered space ships, mechs or alien race and have, for example, interesting discussion about what's the easies way to put something in orbit without your painful build colony ending broke.

How big it's a starships before it's too big?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iauuuhpSfRQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Also anyone fearing the new legend of galactic heroes reboot?

What's Veeky Forums prefered way for FTL? Or do you think FTL it's haram.

Within Space Opera, I prefer FTL points around star systems that create choke points for attacking forces and also limit communications speed.

Oh god, why would they do that???

In the setting I'm working, I like mixing wormholes portals/stargates for the cheap interestellar voyage and Jump points (than are really more inestable worm-holes than need to be activated and can disappear) for attacking forces and to visit more unimportant star systems. Not all star system are rich or important enough to contain a star portal, and the defenses in them make frontal attack using the portals a suicide for most navies, using capital ships with jump drives let you bepass the most heavily defended point and do some damage. It's also more expensive, using a kind of unobtanium/antimatter as a fuel, still defining it.

For money of course.

Is LotGH worth watching in its entirety? Or is there some sort of abridged list that I could watch?

What are good sub-light drives?
Something than could give you some g's without being too expensive or nukes.

High efficiency fusion drives a la The Expanse. They're capable of sustaining high g acceleration with the only limiting factor being the endurance of the crew. Alternately, there's the Trek-style impulse, where the ship's FTL system can be reconfigured to produce sub-light speeds.

The fusion drive sound cooler, what use as fuel?
I'm sure you could use it as a last resource weapon like the human/kzinti war too.

The Space Age expansion for Warbirds is so fucking baller.

I prefer gates systems connecting super-clusters, personally. With a much slower but reliable point-to-point FTL for in-system transit. EVE Online is a good example.

>The Space Age expansion for Warbirds
Tell us more user, seems like a standard space opera setting at first glance, what make it better than others?

It's super pulpy and grows on an already top-tier setting.

One of the neat things that it does to build on the setting is how "the Fighter's Guild," of the core dieselpunk-based setting is so powerful after their Great War (not based on THE Great War, but the closest they have to one) that they, as a massive mercenary company, are humanity's most powerful military (and being made up of people from all nations), is humanity's public face in the Stellar Neighborhood.

Another neat thing is that he magnify is the toughest "warrior race." Because our gravity is so heavy, we are frighteningly strong and well-coordinated as a baseline compared to all the other species. So despite being very social and whatnot, Guild representatives have to work hard not to fall into the "brutal humanity," stereotype.

humanity is the "warrior race,"* rather.

Dang, I was gonna do something related with humans, but I see original ideas are a quimera, everything has been done (and probably better) already. Sounds like good fun, there is there the book in the pdf share?

No harm in looking, but I doubt it. Warbirds is unfortunately poorly-known.

It's an amazing rules-lite system that is too-tier for dogfighting. The same devs (Outrider Studios) also made a neat game (Remnants) about piloting ancient mechs from ages past in a post-apocalyptic world.

The IRL (theoretical) Fusion Drive uses deuterium (heavy water). The deuterium is passed through an intense magnetic coil that heats it until a fusion reaction occurs and expels the resulting superheated plasma as propellant. In The Expanse, some Martian dude bought a private yacht and developed the most efficient ratio for fuel reaction, inadvertently killing himself in the process when his Yacht accelerated to about 5g instantaneously.

Does BSG count as a space opera? Because I got that new game, Deadlock, and it plays like a turn-based tabletop fleet battler like Star Wars Armada or Star Trek's Attack Wing. It has me pining for a Galactica themed tabletop game, especially with all those new models.

Yeah of course, it's one of those iconic Space operas, and heck, I never seen a general about it.
Also first time hearing about Deadlock, tell us more.

its needs to be watched in its entirety. Also there are no poor or slow arcs, so its worth it anyway.

Deadlock is set at the start of the 1st Cylon war. You're the Commander of a mobile shipyard in charge of effectively building the Colonial Fleet. The 12 colonies are fractious and you have balance taking the fight to the Cylons between fortifying the Colonies in order to secure their support. Combat happens around planets and is a turn based fight where you set your fleets course and targets and then play a turn that lasts roughly 15 seconds.
I've thrown about 10 hours into the game and I'd say the core gameplay and aesthetic are pretty fun, while the story is pretty meh. Probably my favourite thing about the game is the addition of new ship designs for both the Cylons and Colonials.

>How big it's a starships before it's too big?

Is that Rama?

>Space Opera
youtube.com/watch?v=iauuuhpSfRQ

Sound interesting, how far can you customize your fleet?
Full thrust seems a game ideal for that stuff too.

Why does everyone forget the Macragge's Honour,it was 26km of large,largar than the Iron Blood

>How big it's a starships before it's too big?
When it can't approach an Earthlike world without causing massive devastation due to its impact on the tides, it's too big. Unless that's something you want, of course.

Well you've got about 7 ship hulls for each side and then armament options. You can fill your Missile carrying ship armament slots with nukes for a higher price or armour piercing missiles, and you can outfit your carriers and Battlestars/Basestars with more advanced fighter/bomber craft. And, in the campaign, you'll be outfitting your fleet with a commanding officer than can give boosts to certain subsystems for the fleet, as well as a separate boost to their flagship. So yeah, all in all I'd say you can do a pretty decent amount of customisation.
I hadn't heard of full thrust before but it seems to have a similar core concept yeah.

Wormholes enable instantaneous "jumps" between two locations but require there to be a Beacon at the target location to stabilize the wormhole, so they are mostly limited to key systems and designated shipping lanes

Therefore most ships that are expected to travel outside of the usual lanes of traffic are fitted with Warp Drives that function like you would expect, Star Trek style

I've been wanting to run a Space Opera campaign for a while. I'm looking at Stars Without Number but I'm not a big fan of OSR, I prefer games with more complexity and options. I'm also not that interested in WH40k or Star Wars. Is there anything else good out there?

You could try Traveller, there are version for everything from relatively simple to autistic screeching complex. Cepheus Engine it's a generic based on traveller, and the mongoose one seems to be aceptable (if, like lots of mongoose books, isn't very well edited).

Cepheus it's also setting agnostic, like early traveller, the others are very invested in the third imperium, than it's quite interesting, but it only get worse and worse with the different editions.
There are also lots of spaceships, early traveller it's more about a small ship universe, like cepheus, while the other you have ships of millions of tons (but normally for npc, players barely never get hold of anything bigger than a corvette).

For example, those are the tipical ships than players get, the most common it's the free trader for creative trading or smuggling.

Only to mention it, "small" as in "compared to large ship universes."
The smallest 10dT fighter is still around five times bigger than your standart transport truck.

piracy/privateering in space, how would you do it?
When ships travel faster than light it would be hard to board them and how do you manage trade routes in space?

Yeah, Traveller space ships are big as fuck, even your tipical 200 Dt ships it's aroung 1000 displacement water tons.

It depends of the economy and the FTL. If the economy it's based on planets, Helldivers pirates with strong mechanized armies of space ravagers raining in colonies would be a feature. If aliens are common, hunting or slaving them it's a possibility, or nations hiring pirates as corsairs to attack them or protect little colonies from depredation. Normally for pirates to exist first they have to get a chance to operate and a way to get away without being wrecked. Places to sell the loot like amoral planets/stations should exist, and a way for cheap or at least affordable FTL would be very desirable.

Actually I like a mix of FTL in my games, helps flavour a civilisation.

Rith now I'm Trying to make a space setting for a world of darkness game. To emphasise the deep seperation the void of space brings I've got the mortals only knowing Slower than to near light speed methods of travelling space (Because relativity is the best defence the masqurade ever had). So naturally they've only gone to systems 100 light years or less away from Sol and goverment is planetary or system wide at best. The supernaturals though are using FTL befting the splats in question, but it usually boils down to going through places like the underworld/hedge/shadow etc. So they get to have interstellar empires in the dark of space.

Hunters are stuck somewhere in between with experimental drives for the conspiracies.

Cool, I been reading a bit more and seems a mix of deuterium, H3 and hidrogen seems the gold standard for a plausible fusion drive.
Also 5g doesn't seem that drastic, it's that the maximum human constant aceleration?

>Also 5g doesn't seem that drastic, it's that the maximum human constant aceleration?
It wouldn't be the maximum for a Human born on Earth no. Although, over a protracted period of time it would certainly kill you.
But, in setting, the Martians can't withstand Earth gravity without significant therapy. So the guy pretty much got crushed by his own relatively frail body.

>no slow arcs
Maybe the first 10-15 episodes. They're still necessary for the coup arc to have its full impact, and that's a good arc.
Go watch Waterloo (1970). If you consider first 20 minutes + Napoleon's inner monologue and the conversations with generals the best part, and the actual combat and battle scenes as necessary filler (and you can stand to watch them), then watch LoGH.
It's basically a fiction for examining society and government in a nonpolitical vacuum.
It's a bit entry level for discussing those topics, but it is more accessible than strict nonfiction.

It's a bit like the James Mitcher novels, if you're read any of those. Good but not exactly great. LoGH does get a boost because what is does is unusual for TV shows where Mitcher is fairly typical for literature.

How do you lads feel about small ships?
Personally, I'm of the opinion that they would exist in very limited capacities.
The military has the tech to have drone fleets. Let's not bullshit around, drones can react faster and be built on a chassis with less requirements than a human pilot requires. They're strictly better once the tech gets good enough, and in a space setting, there's no reason for the tech to arbitrarily limited by a director's desire to make Top Gun in space.

That being said, non-military groups would certainly still have human pilots. They're no match for drones, but they do have their use, especially for policing roles where being able to talk with someone is important. Then you'd have bounty hunters and the like, who again need that human-human interaction.
There's also people without any organizational support or high-income work who would still have space ships. Just by the existence of space stations, someone is going to be making transport shuttles or the like for a civilian market, same way a lot of civilian aircraft are used for crop dusting or other agricultural/industrial work.

Back to small ships, I don't like single-pilot ships. Things like X-wings I do not like. Single-pilot ships would be carrier-based, 100%. There's no way they would be able to carry food supplies, and sleeping in a pilot's chair has to get uncomfortable after a while.
We don't even need to mean carriers like the Kittyhawk or some such, we can mean smaller ships like in Cowboy Bebop with three single-seaters in the hanger.
Small ships like pic related make a great deal of sense to me. Room to stretch, room to live, it works. Something like this could operate without a mothership for extended periods, not unlike a submarine.

How do you lads feel about single-pilot and small ships?
also the line between using an X-Wing and a Gundam for space combat

That's quite hilarious, tough makes sense.
So humans living in space stations will have a worse resistence to high g? So they would make shitty spacers?

that's why you build a rotating habitat, and don't live in zeto G like some frail savage.

Sounds rather interesting,tought not my thing (I had some cringey experiences with WoD players. Furries specially) it seems to be a cool setting. How it's like the culture of your setting (at least where the players will do they things)?