He kinda has a point

He kinda has a point.

>a male black SJW
what

No. No he doesn't.

>he kinda has a point

1/10, fuck off and die, you killed a thread with this shit.

What's his point? If his point is that he's incredibly petty and obnoxious, then he nailed it.

>You can't have wheat in a story unless someone exposits about who invented wheat
>You can't have horses in a story unless someone exposits about who invented horses
What

He has autism.

Do we really need fifty people calling OP an idiot?

Let's just /thread here.

He has kind of a point in the context of dudes wanting female characters to have -4 Force and to be raped at the firsr opportunity.

>You cant have kingdoms in a story unless someone exposits about their tax policies

>why isn't your fantasy setting realistic like non-fantasy settings
>why isn't your adventure story talking about non-adventure topics

Does this faggot understand that these are supposed to be BOOKS! They're fucking STORIES! The best fantasy authors would love to go deep into where the horses are bred and where the wheat came from, but they also realize that this makes for dreadfully boring literature. The only people who care about Aragon's tax policy and other minutia like this are the authors themselves, or people who are trying to make a point.

Also...
>Gavelkind
>Cognatic succession
>Ever
Fucking no.

Well obviously, didn't you go to school? In the history of humankind, those things didn't exist until they were imported them from Europe. Therefore you can't have those things in your setting because they'd have to be imported from Europe and fantasy settings don't have a Europe.

It ain't an adventure story, unless (x) pages are dedicated to describing who invented wheat, who breeds horses, who brews ale...

Wtf?
Nothing screams "epic fantasy adventure", like a 10 page report about the history of wheat.

I think his point is that he avoided every history class since kindergaten. And science classes too.
>How do tree work?

Plot twist, the book is about a super passionate wheat farmer who just wants all these paladin faggots to get off his back so he and his skeletons can get back to cultivating the finest wheat the world has ever known.

He'll call it...Boner Bread!

Jesus sudoku fucking christ, not even Tolkien or Fat went into this much autismal detail over their settings and Tolkien literally invented a language. And if you TRIED to explain all of that, you would LOSE the audience immediatly

This is worse than Veeky Forums's potato autism

I...I...I don't dislike that concept. I feel like I should, but I don't.

"An eagle-eyed viewer might be able to see the wires. A pedant might be able to see the wires. But I think if you're looking at the wires you're ignoring the story. If you go to a puppet show you can see the wires. But it's about the puppets, it's not about the string. If you go to a Punch and Judy show and you're only watching the wires, you're a freak."

-Dean Learner, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

The thing is stories like LotR aren't about how Aragorn ruled Gondor, so the specifics of that aren't elaborated on.

The issue is that because something isn't spelled out, people start assuming no one thought of it or start filling in the holes with their own retarded ideas.

>why isn't your fantasy setting realistic like non-fantasy settings
Not even that.
Whoever this retard is supposed to be he doesnt understand
>How trees survive winter
>Why isn't a capitalist middle class in feudal settings
>That a kings job includes making sure laws are applied uniformly, deciding who rules the fiefs, and what the measures for distance and weight are
>When and why times zones where invented
>THAT EVERY SINGLE CIVILIZATION IN THE PLANET INVENTED SOME FORM OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE IN ANCIENT TIMES. Seriously even places that didn't have the wheel or writing had alcohol

Well, rumor is that the church is heavily invested in importing wheat from goblinoid lands.

>why don't these background and worldbuilding elements feature heavily in the main story
Are there stories where heavy political intrigue and the affairs of royalty can feature heavily and be an important aspect? Sure, but that's not interesting to everyone and will pretty much always limit things to castle intrigue.

Hamlet was badass.

No he doesn't, also nice CK2 autism

kys

He seems like the kind of asshole who sees a kid watching a cartoon and just completely spergs out the moment anything unrealistic happens

I knew it. Those fuckers probably get off to sub-par wheat, take it with them to their rooms and do all sorts of indecent things to it while projecting their 'holier than thou' image to the people...

I won't allow this to happen, I'll go on a grand quest to unite the wheat farmers of this kingdom in one glorious wheat farmer's guild! This kingdom deserves, and will have, ONLY THE BEST WHEAT!

...Should probably destroy the church first though.

It gets worse....

They also import cheap kobold labor to run their brewery operations...

What's a simple farmer to do?

He is the worst kind of autist. Because not only is he stupid and sperging about things he doesn't understand he does it un a public place thinks all the world should share his stupid point of view.

>What's a simple farmer to do?
The wheat Farmers oath forbids taking up arms or questioning the church.

Looks like we'll have to protest this the only way we can...

Form a union!

Well this is one wheat farmer that won't stand for such injustice!

Me and my skeletons will throw down the tyranny of the church, we will lead the way to a new future, a brighter future, A FUTURE WITH THE BEST DAMNED WHEAT EVER!

And all those poor, oppressed, over-taxed wheat farmers will no longer have to compete with filthy kobolds and their low-quality wheat. We will raise this kingdom up to be a shinning jewel, a wheat paradise, where no citizen will ever again suffer from the injustices of imported garbage!

>They're fucking STORIES! The best fantasy authors would love to go deep into where the horses are bred and where the wheat came from, but they also realize that this makes for dreadfully boring literature.
This. Like if we were making a setting from scratch for the use of putting on a wiki about the setting we just created, sure, do all that stuff, but i've found the biggest problem in modern fantasy is authors overthinking their settings and underthinking their stories. The setting should serve as a device to drive the story forward, but most of them follow in Tolkien's footsteps and use the story as an excuse to show little details of the cool setting he made up in his head to everyone.

Do you think Howard was wracking his brain about the tax policies of Hyborea? Do you really think Burroughs had all of the city-states of Barsoom fleshed out before releasing his first novel? The answer to both is of-course no, and the books were better for it. Those details existed in a quantum wave state of "it doesn't matter right now" and as soon as it did matter, they would collapse into something that would keep the tension and action rising appropriately.

What an incredibly banal series of critiques.

What IS his point? That fantasy is unrealistic?

You're not allowed to acknowledge it, though. It violates free speech.

That some people who write fictional fantasy stories selectively use "realism" to justify certain things that fit their agenda while leaving other, more obvious illogical elements unaddressed when they would be easy to fix.

Apparently people are having trouble noticing it because they'd rather believe in the stupidest strawman they can think of. Massive amounts of stupidity are generally the go-to answer when they don't understand something.

>these things that are important to the story are mentioned and fleshed out
>these things that arent important to the story arent fleshed out or mentioned
>this is a massive issue

also
>wheres the capitalism
in several hundred years, now fuck off

>Having booze all the year is illogical
>Not going into detail on the history of horse and wheat breading is illogical
It's okay to be retarded user, but don't pretend it's normal

I have a friend who hates Harry Potter because there is only 1 bank. These people exsist and they are no fun.

But they do have Dwarves, and Dwarves solve problems.
Who domesticated Wheat? The Dwarves, because they wanted to make booze out of it.
Who domesticated horses? Dwarves, because they needed something to affix labels to their ale bottles.
Where is your merchant class? They are dwarves. And they live underground in the dark, because they don't need Vitamin D from the sun and can see in the dark.
Dwarves invented Feudalism, and made a slightly different form of feudalism.
Dwarves not only have records of their tax policies, but who drafted them, what taxes were paid, to which intermediaries, and so on.
Dwarves have 1 gender, and it's Dwarf.
One time a Dwarven woman dressed as a man, joined the dwarven army, and lived her life in relative peace until she gave birth one day and realized she was a woman.
Dwarven teeth are made of granite, and new layers of granite grow in so long as the dwarf ingests silica and alcohol. Thus, their teeth do not "rot", only erode.
All Dwarves know religion is ultimately a sham, but recognize the power unified belief can have, and thus all maintain healthy skepticism as they unite their communities to enact various ritualistic behaviors.
Dwarves invented Ale, and they invented quantum stockpiles to store it.
All measurements are dwarven, and are all taken from the dwarven engineer's guild.
Technically you can come up with your own measurements ,but this would be stupid, since everyone else's uses the dwarven system. Orcs use the Orcish system, and we all know how much people want orcish tool boxes. Elves use the Elvish system, but it was invented 2000 years after the dwarven system, and has identical measurements, except the Beard'sknot is replaced by the slightly larger Elve'sknot, and this compounded difference is removed from the next highest measurement.

Why don't you check your fucking human privilage, cisrace scum. Other races exist on this world, and they aren't just recolored varients. Except Elf varients.