Competitive Modern General

Bring my boy back edition

What are some cards you think have fallen from grace besides pic related lately?

Playing, Haitng etc

>RESOURCES:
>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bDtGfvc3WzY
youtu.be/2NOc1Gnu18I
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-8-rack-39206#paper
youtube.com/watch?v=ww5GXbk58R0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I honestly think bob is fine, even though traditional jund is out now, he's still seeing a lot of play in mono black and b/w builds.

>Playing/Brewing
Pic related
>Hating
It's always Tron, baby
Still waiting for that Eldrazi Temple ban

Man, now that I think about it, Bob really has fallen from grace, hasn't he?

Post song(s) related to your deck(s).

youtube.com/watch?v=bDtGfvc3WzY

Pic related is similar to mine minus the Myth Realized and a few other things. I also use Blood Scrivener over Dark Confidant because I'm afraid of bleeding too much.
I should probably try Myth Realized. My FLGS would probably give me a set for $5 at most, so not much of a cost if things end up being lame.

nothing gets my dick harder like watching Jund goodstuff fall from grace as the lead deck. Just braindead jamming Bob, Lightning Bolt, and Tarmy into a deck and calling it a day is long gone. Get fucking wrecked.

Just 4-0'd modern night with this bad boy.
>delver is strictly worse than shadow, they said
Taste it, mom and dad. Beat W/U Death and Taxes, BW Tokens, Goblins, and Jund. Vapor Snag was ass but Yung Pyro and Sleight of Hand over performed.

>Want to play Modern
>Don't enjoy playing aggro
>Don't feel like it's worth spending hundreds of dollars for a deck
>Realize that there's no good Modern community nearby
>Cry a little inside

theme song: youtu.be/2NOc1Gnu18I

God, I love delver. Such a fun card.

Halfway through my Lantern build. Playtesting with proxies but generally the results are good. Still, can't decide on a few things.

>Mishra's bauble
>Crucible
>Maindeck Leylines

Leylines is great against burn, which is your primary weakness, but if you draw it late it can fuck up the bridge. Dunno whether to keep it mainboard. Bauble and Crucible are also hard to decide on.

Need to build a delver deck sometime, it's still one of my favorite cards. Still, I'd like to work in vendillion somehow.

Spellskite is pretty much gone from sideboards these days

What cheap jank deck would Runechanter Pike be best in? Mono Black Infect, BW Tokens, or some sort of budget Faeries build?

But it shouldn't be, the card is amazing.
If you're running a combo deck it's a great way to keep your pieces alive without using a lot of resources.

I can't see that card fitting into any of the decks you listed.

It's a good card but most of the reasons people sided it in the past aren't valid anymore. Twin and Infect are dead, and Bogles has fallen off the radar as GDS and Eldrazi Tron became the gatekeepers of the format. Spellskite isn't even that great as a removal magnet anymore, because there's a lot less Bolts and lot more Pushes and Paths flying around, and many of the fair decks run Kommand and can kill the Skite with a two for one.

I don't run a creature deck so my concern is more along the lines of Abrupt Decay or something to that extent which makes Spellskite still a very good card.

That's a shame; love the card. Which of those three decks would be the most viable?

The Mono-Black infect list is already using it so probably that But infect fucking sucks now, so there's that

>Have a friend who plays Lantern exclusively against my GDS
>Kcommand his lantern
>"sure whatever"
>Surgical his lantern
>Mfw forcing a lantern to play blind

God tonight was fucking AIDS. I went to a store an hour away because I kinda wanted to play some Modern. I brung Burn. Only 6 people showed up but i was content with just getting to play. Then the autism begins. First round I get paired against a Titanshift player who mulls to 4 both games and I proceed to obviously crush him. He rages every single mulligan, just constantly bitching about his hand then spends less then 5 seconds shuffling and hands the deck over just to mull again. After I beat him I get paired against this huge autist on Mono Red Tron. He smells so fucking bad and I usually dont complain about people smelling a bit but fuck this guy reeked he smelled almost exactly like a skunk it was awful. I beat him Game 1, Game 2 I misplay cause hes tilting as fuck to play against as he has no concept of game rules at all and is super quick and fidgety, example is that he thought Destructive Revelry doesnt deal damage if the artifact it targets is indestructible. Game 3 I beat him but I technically didnt hes just a fucking moron and didnt read his card so when I targetted a lethal banefire for 12 with deflecting palm he scooped even though id still be dead, hes just a fucking retard and didnt read his own card lol.
Game 3 was against the only normal person, we talked about how bad the Mono Red Tron autist smelled and he beat me, overall a 2 hour roundtrip drive netted me a pack of Dragon shields. Im still tilted.

I would sideboard the Leyline and crucible and keep bauble maindeck personally

>I brung Burn.
stopped reading there

>waiting till turn 4 to drop lantern
That match was over before it began

What's wrong with Infect? Is it the mechanic as a whole, or just the UG build?

UG was the only good build and without Git Probe it sucks.

Fair enough

The archetype as a whole died along with Gitaxian Probe.
Imagine this. You go all in pumping your creature only to have it fatal pushed, what then?
There's no efficient way to check your opponents hand anymore (besides discard, which still costs mana) so you can never be sure if it's safe to go all in.
Case in point, infect is dead.

Its either that or Titanshift. Both are just as uninteractive infact Titanshift is arguably more uninteractive then Burn. Deck elitism is cancer though since the best decks in this format are all linear like Titanshift, Burn, Affinity, and Eldrazi Tron. If you are trying to be as competitive as possible then its highly encouraged to champion an uninteractive deck, as the interactive ones have much more hard fought matches and have more chance to draw badly since the reactive spells are only good when reacting to the right threat.

>Its either that or Titanshift.
No, no you don't understand.
>Brung

Ive had a few drinks to forget the pain of tonight. Sorry if I didnt use proper grammar. Basically this just proves to me that im no longer going to go to any event thats not a PPTQ or at my personal local Game store because I always regret it due to some cancer that occurs when I go to other stores in the area that arent the amazing LGS I frequent.

Be glad that you actually have a good LGS.
My ""FLGS"" is basically how you described your experience at the other store. Shit.

Im so glad my LGS is good. So many LGSes around here fucking suck. Theyre filled with shitbrews, cancerous rules ignorant scrubs, and autists who smell.

What about mono black infect? No pump spells, your two main Infect threats are too big to be Pushed unless they Revolt that turn, and recursion/revival could possibly be sided against heavy control decks.

I've never played modern (EDH, proxy'd legacy and draft mostly), was wondering how strong blood moon is in the format?

I really wanted to play that BR pack rat deck, since it has a lot of my favorite cards in it. Does Blood Moon just hose some decks like Tron or Titan Shift? or is it more of an minor annoyance to them

its prominent

There are many good blood moon decks and its a fairly good strategy.

Why not just play GDS?
The whole point of Infect was to go fast and play against half life total. Problem is, Phyrexian Crusader is still only a 2/2, so that half life benefit is outweighed by running 1-mana 5/5s like GDS.

Hell, monoblack DS is probably better than monoblack Infect.

What are the worst basic land arts I can run? I'm looking for forests and swamps specifically, but lets extend the question to any type of basic for others who want their mana base as ugly as possible.

What about Vatmother and Reaper?

White border is probably a must

>a four and five drop
Are you for real. Stop worrying about dodging Push.

Yeah, I was thinking either something white-border or something with the M15 border - maybe something completely unremarkable and bland is the way to go.

Sorry, meant Hand of the Praetor instead of Reaper of Sheoldred.
>4 drop
Vatmother closes the game in 3 swings, 2 if boosted by Reaper or Bad Moon, likely 1 with Lashwrithe. Play the deck out as a mono black control, and use the infect creatures as a way of putting pressure on quickly.

>not running mismatched lands where half are white border and half aren't

>winning T7 with no interruptions
You do you, user.

What control options do you plan to use?

Discard
>Despise, Wrench Mind, Blackmail, maybe IoK, side Duress

Kill spells
>Victim of Night, Dismember, Fatal Push if I can find some for cheap/for trade, Geth's Verdict maybe, Murderous Cut possibly

Other things
>Dash Hopes, Darkness

Gratz on beating not really decks.

>a big pile of two-mana removal and targetless discard
>and four-drop creatures
>"Fatal Push if I can find some cheap"

Just say you're looking for a budget deck instead of making it appear as if you think your shitbrew is comparable to GDS.
A word of warning -- you're going to have less possible actions per turn due to mana. It will cost you games. You also don't have anything to protect your finishers at instant speed, like control usually has.
Seriously consider some Inkmoth Nexuses. $20 may be more than you'd like per, but having that extra source of damage that must be killed at instant speed will win games, and is the most reliable way to boost the deck you're considering.

I'd like to start as cheap as possible, and if I enjoy the format, slowly improve my deck.

Thats the thing you won't enjoy the format unless you actually buy or build a functioning deck. If you want cheap and functioning you go for janky strategies like Restore Balance, Matyr Proc and Kiln Fiend.

You can just throw a pile of cheap "near playable" cards together in a color but you will likely get crushed by the strictly better cards of your opponents. Modern is a format with decks that can win instantly turns 2 to 4 and if you can't do that or lock your opponent you can't really play.

Then I don't see much of a point in trying it out. I'm not going to waste $400 on a deck, when if I don't like the format, I'll get maybe $250 back if I'm lucky.

You can make something playable for around 100 to 150 but you will still feel the pressure when you don't have your optimal sideboard cards or are facing someone with an actual top tier 75. If you want to play paper magic its gonna cost money, and eternal paper formats are real pricey these days.

If you're willing to play MTGO then everything is a bit cheaper and you can play standard without worrying about rotation costs.

I don't have an LGS nearby so I only play with a group of 15 people at most and almost everyone uses sub 60 dollar decks. It's actually more fun like this, I find.

MTGO doesn't look that good of an option to me. I guess modern's just not for me, then.

Welcome to white people hobbies, user

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm willing to spend large sums of money on hobbies if I feel confident that it'll be worth sticking with (like Warhammer 40K). Magic just isn't great enough to justify the high price tag.

Sure thing, user

That's what we always say when getting out and regretting it later. It sounds stupid when the prices are what they are.
When summing up the hours of entertainment and weighing it vs a possible loss it becomes a laughably cheap hobby. Heck, for most of the games history you should have even been able to quit and sell at a profit.

I don't see any problem with any of these. Try to overcome your OCD.

The only thing that counts is the art, who cares about the borders.

I haven't touched Modern since BBE was banned (had nothing to do with the banning). I want to jam a bunch of Gifts packages into Eternal Command. How retarded is this? I don't know what the threats are to think about.

How are you getting back even close to full value on your cards? And every time I've played at my LGS, it was a tense, awkward time, and made me question why I play the game in the first place.

Even if you don't, a draft is cheap entertainment even if you didn't get to take the cards with you after it's over.

Draft? None of the LGSes in the area do that.

>paying 400$ and only getting 250$
I have no idea how it works in Merica but MTG has been the only hobby in which I'm fine with spending since when I sell my Decks I usually get the amount I payed or even more (for example I got my Eldrazi Tron for 300-350€ and sold it for 580€)
As long as I don't build FotM or Ban-worth Decks, I don't see risks.

try this. you don't need to run liliana of the veil or thoughtseize at first, you can replace them with blackmail and more removal or something.

mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-8-rack-39206#paper

Dash hopes works better when you're not playing infect. If they know their life total is pseudo worthless they will pay five every time.

I'm copying that build honestly. I'll post something when I come up with it in a few days.

What's the best way to manage your collection? Is there any app I can use on my phone?

MTG Familiar

There's no option for an inventory/collection and you can't even add cards as foil.

What's the point?

The Tappedout app works fine.

Blood moon might just be my favourite card. Can completely hose decks or make them way less efficient. Against decks it doesnt hit that hard you can always side it out

I don't really like any of those mainboard. But then again the Lantern variant I played ran 4 maindeck Pithing Needle so my opinion probably doesn't matter

BW tokens is going to be big when the the new planeswalker rule is in effect

>be me
>playing stupid Junk Reanimator Deck based on the same deck from INN-RAV standard
>end up playing against some retard playing UW "Rev for 15" Control complete with Elixers and everything
It was like going back in time, to when I was still in highschool. It was awful.

Why would you think that? Gideon, Ally of Zendikar and Sorin, Solemn Visitor are the only walkers worth playing in BW tokens. You don't actually want to play Lord of Innistrad in tokens do you?

>Gideon
Opinion disregarded

>people who just concede to a thoughtsieze
pretty sad desu

Who the fuck does this?

>Dash Hopes works better when you're not playing infect
So maybe a deck with Gifted Aetherborn, Vampire Nighthawk, Gray Merchant, and Lashwrithe?

>play
BGx and Skred.
>hate
I guess eldrazi temple
>brew
Jeskai Ascendancy as a value engine.

Wish I could still play Probe. Peek isn't worth 1 mana. Also kind of wanting to try to make room for Stoke the Flames.

By the time you get them to 5 or 6 life you basically have a bb counterspell. But in that deck I can see it being a lot stronger than in infect where you don't care about their original life total

And BB burn 5 is still good.

Salty scrubs on Xmage

Shahaar Shenhar conceded game 1 to a Gitaxian Probe once. He tried to hide his deck from his opponent, but his opponent already knew what he was on. He then sideboarded for the wrong matchup and got destroyed game 2.

Lesson is: don't concede to having your fucking hand revealed like holy shit.

It is good. It is very mana efficient for one card. However the only downside of it being based on their life total is that there will times when you want to/need to counter a spell early on and you can't because they can just pay five and win. If your deck had a lower curve out it would totally be viable however.

does anyone have an esper draw-go list?

i wanna build one but dunno where to start

>tfw you play magic with just your friends and after reading threads with everyone describing their worst experiences you've lost all desire to ever try playing at even a pre-release

People tend to vent more about their bad experiences than talk about their good ones. I've gone to every pre-release since SOI and I've had a good time at every one of them. Don't let peoples negativity discourage you from joining in at store events and such, they can be a lot of fun.

Move over Tidehollow Sculler, reddit assures me this is your new and improved cousin!

>visiting Reddit

Stay there next time.

>not going to reddit during spoilers to pick up gems like "kitesail freebooter replaces tidehollow sculler in modern D&T and all variants"

Does anyone else want to post songs?

>Bant Eldazi CoCo
youtube.com/watch?v=ww5GXbk58R0

You could try UW Control and try to fit in discard and Fatal Push.
Esper Charm is awesome since not only do you get draw 2 or discard 2, but also maindeck enchantment answers.

>no benefit from flickering
Nah its trash

>going to reddit for any reason

Stay there

Here's my current one:

Creatures: 2
2 Snapcaster Mage

Instants: 26
4 Path to Exile
2 Fatal Push
4 Think Twice
3 Logic Knot
2 Negate
4 Esper Charm
4 Cryptic Command
2 Sphinx's Revelation
1 White Sun's Zenith

Sorceries: 7
4 Serum Visions
3 Supreme Verdict

Lands: 25
3 Celestial Colonnade
4 Flooded Strand
4 Polluted Delta
2 Hallowed Fountain
1 Watery Grave
1 Godless Shrine
2 Island
1 Plains
1 Swamp
3 Glacial Fortress
3 Drowned Catacomb

Sideboard: 15
2 Dispel
2 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
2 Runed Halo
2 Vendilion Clique
1 Cast Out
1 Supreme Verdict
2 Baneslayer Angel
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

I'm still not entirely sold on the 25 land Serum Visions build, but it's been alright so far.

Website wars woooo!!!!! FUCK leddit!!

protip: this site is reddit and reddit is here to stay
t. ancient oldfag

How are the following:
>Asylum Visitor
>Gatekeeper of Malakir
>Oona's Prowler
>Vampire Hexmage (side against PW-heavy decks)
>Wicked Akuba
>Pack Rat

waiter, this meme is stale

>Bant Eldrazi
>CoCo
For what purpose?