Vertical cycles edition.

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/bluffers-best-friends-2007-02-16
youtube.com/watch?v=Sbxg4moaEYM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I feel like vertical cycles are tricky, since you do have to plan for them pretty early on in a set's planning. That said, there are cases where they sort of form naturally.

I wasnt sold on transformers in Ixalan but seeing the explanation in the article today got me on board. I was worried because Primal Amulet//Primal Wellspring was kind of loose (you can tell theyre related but the flavor that the amulet "takes you" to the land isnt very clear imo" and I was worried a lot of cards would be like that because really, how many items and ways can you show taking you somewhere?). I hope we get some tribal creatures into tribal lands.

I think they said or revealed that all of them were going to be artifacts into lands. Personally, I'm fine with that, since Transform as a whole feels a little weird in the set still, even with the explanation.

I do think that some of the artifacts thus far will tie into tribal, even if more indirectly, like how the Primal Amulet is clearly themed after Merfolk and is nice for them, while the first Treasure Map we saw combos well with Pirates, presumably.

Ken Nagle said nonland into land today in the transform article but I seem to remember it being said they would all be artifacts too (which was another reason I was not sold on this since that narrows the ways you can show something taking you somewhere even more-- imagine a group of merfolk guiding you to a secret river, or vampires taking fallen comrades to a base camp).

Dont know if i love this but here's a bump, its be quite sad for this thread to die that easy. I just dont have much to contribute as Im still doing some exploratory with a showdown mechanic. I cant get the versions with the colors in the pinline to load so thats why the land doesnt have the colors.

It seems rather interesting. I do rather like this new mechanic of having non-lands transform into lands. It means that you can have the land side be relatively powerful, as the mana to cast the front half along with the conditions can make up for the power. The card you made seems like a nice take on merfolk tribal. The two tap abilities on the land don't synergize too much with eachother, although I'd imagine they'd be great if you had two of them.

Hope you figure out something that works with your showdown mechanic. Personally I'm trying to polish up the rest of the commons in my set and come up with ideas for some good Uncommons that would fit in.

r8 my cac wont start a new thread because it wont get replies

it's intensely weird seeing that art surrounded by blue for once
would the original art work better with the spell card border?

Let's find out

That does look a lot better with the blue

I said in the thread you posted the other day that i think its just pointless making exact copies of magic cards like this in yugioh and vice versa just because how damage works is too different. Its like, imagine you did this for every direct damage spell. Itd be just wierd having all these spells in yugioh with that wording compared to the normal spells.
Its surprisingky hard to me to make a mechanic that feels like a battle of wits and wagers for a game that is pretty much alresaady a battle of wits and wagers. I actually thought itd be easy BECAUSE the game already aligns itself in that way.

I havent looked at the rules, does Emerge actually work on spells? I guess theres no reason it couldnt. I feel like the flavor is getting lost. The cards might mechanically work but it doesnt feel like anything is "emerging" from anything. Im not sure the exact flavor specifics of your world, but maybe flavor it as a magical aftermath of killing special animals or something.

On that not, if it does work, i would actually save effects that care about what you emerged from for creatures for now. Spells emerging is twist enough for them I think. Just a design space thing. You dont gotta do that but thats how I see it, and you can still use the idea on creatures.

Yeah, I think the issue with trying to do any sort of Clash style mechanic is just that they get really wordy trying to describe who wins and loses and how.

As for Emerge, I think you're right that it isn't very flavorful here. I mostly wanted to play around with the space. As far it goes for other cards, I was mainly flavoring it as 'emerging' stealthily and eating something, rather than the sort of chest-burster flavor I think the Eldrazi had. That's why currently it's mainly in Blue and Black, although I could probably get across that better on the cards.

I may use an uncommon spell with Emerge to help emphasize that fact more and make it very clearly an 'ambush' style thing.

Decent card, might have some use for disruption plays in a meta where people use small monsters to set up plays *cough* Zoodiac *Cough*

Buuut 1200 damage... Eeeeh, yeah. I'm kinda 50/50 on burn effects on spells/traps because Chain Burn does not need more toys.

updated slightly, added legendary tag and changed loyalty abilities a bit

I think the 0 ability here is off, since your opponent could simply sacrifice 0 creatures, since it says up to. Other than that, it seems okay, though that ultimate is way heavy overkill to try and make it all three colors.

Weird, but interesting. I'm not sure how much the downside would help, although it's kind of necessary as the thing comes in for free. It might be better with slightly lower starting loyalty. Also, I would cut out the lifegain option from the ult There aren't many situations where I can see wanting to exile some big fatty rather than adding it to your hand.

>I think the 0 ability here is off, since your opponent could simply sacrifice 0 creatures,
yeah I fucked that up
I think I might make the ultimate
"Target player discards their hand. Tap all permanents that player controls. Creatures you control gain flying, vigilance, and can't be blocked until end of turn."
I kind of want it to open an opponent up completely and leaving them sorta fucked for resources, but not outright killing them itself.

>I would cut out the lifegain option from the ult There aren't many situations where I can see wanting to exile some big fatty rather than adding it to your hand.
Made it lower loyalty starting and scrapped the lifegain

Well, tapping all of their creatures makes the can't be blocked part pointless, and the can't be blocked part really makes flying pointless.

Tapping all their creatures, discarding their hand, and mass vigilance would be plenty.

>Hunter's Thunder
Will killing that creature with Hunter's Thunder give you a +1/+1 counter, or is it the case that if that creature dies this turn at all will you get that counter? If the prior, "~ deals 3 damage to target creature. If that creature dealt damage this way dies, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control."

correction: "If a creature dealt damage this way dies..."

I did some digging and found a couple articles. What im interested in knowing is, do cards like this (discard a specific card type to buff) "feel" like bluffing to you? I get that it does involce bluffig, but does it "feel" like it? I cant say it does to me but maybe I'm wrong. Funnily enough I was planning on kind of being heavy in prowess for a similar reason and I realized its kind of the same space. Maybe Im coming from the wrong angle if the simplest bluffing mechanic was already a thing the whole time.

>do cards like this (discard a specific card type to buff) "feel" like bluffing to you?
Not at all

I wonder what it takes to "feel" like youre bluffing the opponent. The more i think about it the more i get it (basic!lly, your present your opponent with a thing, in this case an attacm, then they can make an educated decision to call or just take it, and if you fail you lose a thing/opponent gets an advantage, prowess is the same dealy) but I agree that just reading the card doesnt feel like thats what youre doing. I never even put it together until then. Maybe I dont need a specific mechanic and I can just do combat trick centric stuff?

How is this a bluff?
>"Ha! You thought I included this in my deck to pump it up with a bunch of artifact discard, but you'd be wrong! I don't have any artifacts at all in this deck!"
>"Uh... so why'd you include it?"
>"To... um... bluff you?"

Does reflavoring it maybe help make it feel right...?
Explained in general terms as I percieve a "gamble" here Basically, whenever you attack with it you present your opponent an option involving hidden information. Any combat trick does it, but this built in can turn some number of cards in hand into combat tricks (but probably not all of them). You could have a hand full of cards, but none of them could pump it. But you need to play some number because if your opponent learns you have no artifacts ever, they know to never fear it. Contrast with Noose constrictor where the amount you can pump is a known quantity. Article explains it well.
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/bluffers-best-friends-2007-02-16

This is also kind of I think the flavir of prowess for Jeskai that i didnt actually register until recently (before now but not back when they were first out). They could be silently strong. They could hold their cards, then respond suddenly and grow powerful. Thats kind of exactly the kind of feel i want actually.

Also, you xan kind of think of it like morph, which is probably the premier bluffing mechanic, just very simplified. Morph can blow you out in combat because, among other things, the creature can be bigger than it originally appeared. This is kinda like morph except the cost is cards in hand instead of mana to "reveal" your power level.

Neat idea, I like a token lord planeswalker

Trying out Sorceries with a drawback of ending your turn for balance. Theme is a play.

Cantrips are artifacts in this theme.

Download magic set editor. Also capitalization errors. Don't randomly capitalize words.

The protection makes the second one too versatile
Remember, giving something protection from a color makes all auras of that color pop off of it

>I swing
>oh you didn't block? He's now a 12/11, gg

I like the combat trick a lot just conceptually. Im not sure if protection is still at common. Maybe replace that with indestructible if not. Maybe replace it with indestructible anyway since I think it fits in better imo.

Genuinely shocked I couldnt easily find non magic art for this.

The difference is that a blue deck stacked with instants and sorceries is more playable than a black deck stacked with creatures.

it's also 1 mana less

not a big fan 'non-hydra' hydras.
>not for sale
is this reddit?

The average limited deck has more creatures than instants and sorceries, even in blue. And in constructed a dream scenario where you can attack unimpeded and then pitch 5 cards is even less likely to happen.

The idea of this one is that you target it, it loses its defenses and grows it back (draw a card, camouflage returns).

is this some forced meme or troll?

No? As I said in the initial post, I'm playing around with a theater based set (it is a theater doing the history of the planes). I added Extra as a subtype where they copy themselves and others.

So plus two mana a turn? Seems good, but I think it should be a 0/4. Bolt test, plus then it can block.

I think this card is a lot cleaner with the Legendary planeswalker changes. Makes it read better, although I'm not sure it really needs to grant haste.

My friends and I tried to do a shards of Alara type set, where we each made a shard. Me and one guy finished ours and the rest of our friends bailed.

This was my shard "Perpetuum". It's a world focused on evolving life, so I moved evolve into bant colors. I had a lot of fun making it and it still needs work, any feedback is welcome.

Pretty neat idea to do Shards like that. Sad that they bailed. I would say that the white does feel a bit extraneous here and could have been focused on more, but that might just be due to using Evolve as the main mechanic. White does love its tiny creatures and +1/+1 counters though, so the mechanic could work, I'm just not certain it's adding the most to the general Simic feel here.

For a faction based on evolve, you really have a lot of small creatures. More high power/low toughness creatures are warranted.
This is more of an overall set problem, but you have no artifact/enchantment removal.
Evolve goes on its own line, separate from other keywords. Try to keep as much reminder text as possible.

I'm working on a cube that is very "basic Magic", Llanowar Elf, Giant Growth, Unsummon, you know, all colors do what you'd expect them to do. I'm still torn about this card...Aetherize is nice, Evacuation is nice, but does is this one really okay colorpie-wise? Feels more like a Dimir card than a blue card. Blue removal isn't supposed to generate card advantage, right?

P.S: Sorry about posting it here, it's not exactly custom-related, but I couldn't find anything resembling an MtG general thread.

It is a rather strong piece of removal for Blue in that regard. Usually the key with Blue removal is mainly that aside from Counterspells, it's ultimately temporary and can be undone. That's the premise behind bounce effects, debilitating Auras, etc.

Aetherspouts ends up with the potential to do a lot because it's returning a bunch of creatures to the library at once. Putting something on top of the library is the strongest Blue usually gets, but doing it in mass means that a lot of those cards are going to effectively be dead for all the good they're doing.

It is still within Blue's pie to be sure, but if you're hestitant about it I would suggest finding a similar card that was only a bounce to hand effect. Blue removal can generate card advantage, but when you're making a cube you have a lot more control over what each color can and cannot do.

Yeah, the two of other guys were supposed to have more big creatures than small ones so I tried to keep them on the tiny side. One of them was planning a "Man vs machine" theme and that was going to have a nice amount of artifact removal

Maybe a creature that blows up a artifact/enchantment when he evolves? Or something that blows up an artifact/enchantment and places a counter?

Fresh Meat B
Creature- Human Minion
When ~ dies, gain 2 life.
1/1

Dead Meat 2B
Creature- Zombie Minion
At the beginning of your upkeep, if there are four or more other creature cards in your graveyard, you may put ~ and target creature card in your graveyard on top of your library in any order.
2/2

Hungering Carnifex 2BB
Creature- Demon
Lifelink
Whenever ~ attacks, sacrifice a creature. If you do, draw a card.
4/3

Okay I just strolled into this thread for the first time and I don't really know my shit but I feel like the proper wording for this card would be
"When Goldhide Boar dies, put a colorless Bone artifact token into play with "1, Sacrifice this artifact: Scry 1."

Or am I crazy

You're not crazy, but they also changed the wording on how token creation works. Now, rather than putting them onto the battlefield, you simply 'create' them. It actually saves a fair bit of room on the card.

Is this broken?:
Phyrexian Turbine
Artifact
Whenever a creature dies untap Phyrexian Turbine.
T: Sacrifice a creature you control.
"Listen to it sing!"
-Urabrask

Most likely not broken, but still a good effect. It's the equivalent of

>{0,} Sacrifice a creature: .

which is known to be a desirable effect in some formats and decks. See:

youtube.com/watch?v=Sbxg4moaEYM

Also, the "you control" part is redundant.

>It's the equivalent of

>{0,} Sacrifice a creature: .

It's actually a lot safer, since you have to wait for it to untap each time before sacrificing the next thing. It can give your opponent the opportunity to deal with something that's making the effect desirable, like a Blood Artist, before you sac your whole board to it and kill everyone.

>Eqedna, The Fair - 2WB
>>Rare
>>Legendary Creature - Human Knight
First Strike
When Eqedna, The Fair enters the battlefield, create 3 0/2 White Human Servant tokens with “When this creature dies, target creature gains Double Strike and Lifelink until the end of turn.” Exile all Human Servant tokens when Eqedna leaves the battlefield.
>4/2

Too strong?

You can have less blatant attempts for a free sacrifice engine, specifically ones that cost mana to cast.

Perhaps a bit, since those tokens make fairly good blockers even without any power, as well as the granted keywords on death helping further. That could probably be solved by dialing back to just two 0/1 tokens instead and lowering the power to 3 though.

What strikes me more about it is it doesn't seem overly Black in any way. At most there's the Lifelink.

>Activate Fire Formation - Tenki
>Search Hazoret
>Scoop because it's turn 1

I don't get what you're saying. If it untaps every time a creature dies, that means it untaps each time you sacrifice a creature (because sacrifice = a creature goes to graveyard = dies). You don't "wait for it to untap" at any point.

I'm not sure how I feel about creatures from non-commander sets having evolve.

The trigger to untap it goes on the stack, user. They could shoot Blood Artist after you sacrificed 1 creature instead of 43 of them.

Okay, yeah, I see it now.

I think it's a fairly clever safety valve on a card that is specifically a 0-cost combo/synergy piece.

I must agree. And, in its current state, it is still a pretty playable card on its own without any combos or sac-synergies. Not great, of course, but maybe some deck might consider sideboarding it.

>I cast Path to Exile on your ___
>Nope, I sac it instead. Goes on my graveyard.

>I cast (insert gain-control-of-target-creature card here), gaining control of your ___
>In response, I sac my ___.

Do you mean partner? I made the cards to go together mechanically, and I thought adding partner would be a nice touch without actually adding any power to it.

Unless you did mean evolve, in which case: What?

Is this a black effect? How can I make this interesting?

It fits better in black than in any other color. You need some strong flavor to really tie the card together, though. How about a blood-crazed vampire who can't resist stopping to feed on a surge of fresh blood?

I don't know how to do this effect without using obscene amounts of text.

I know, I know, it's been done before and should never have been done in the first place, but I'm pretty proud of this design. Feels suitably weird and cool and mythic-y.

The only good thing about this card is the flavor text. It's just a stupid combo piece. When would playing this make a game fun?

I think I'd like this more without Lifelink. I feel like it makes the downside pretty negligible.

Eh, Red, really? On the whole, the card just seems kinda dull. Last ability could be interesting, seems to fit in with Urza's character when he recruited planeswalkers to hit Phyrexia, but even then the "outside the game" bit confuses me.

>Eh, Red, really?
Urza has been said to be five-color by WotC, though he's least Green, and Urza's Rage famously shows his Red tendencies.

Will eventually make all the gods. I also want to make Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh but I'm finding it difficult. Don't know how to balance its abilities in Yugioh.

>Custom Yugioh cards

I can't think of a more worthless endeavor.

Balancing in yugioh is just printing whatever and then banning the key cards of the deck three months later.

>I can't think of a more worthless endeavor.
I can, custom MTG cards.

Magic has actual balancing factors that aren't "will this sell the new set?"

>black effect
>guardian angel

Also, Yugioh design is so heavily dependent on Archetypes that making any single card in a vacuum is kind of completely pointless.

>not Opera Glasses of URZA

I'd side with here. If it's supposed to be a guardian angel, a white Flicker effect might be better.

giving it a flicker effect would be more flavorful, but it is still a common and doing so would probably red flag it for 2 if not more reasons.

Could be a 'return to hand' thing then. White gets self-bounce, and it's less drastic to have on a common. It requires more mana open to react to things though

Seems dull and just unworthy of mythic status. Not entirely sure what to do with it though. Death triggers a "damage to all" effect?

In context of the other cards and """"Lore""""" in the set, she's a buyer of slaves for her own needs, sacrificing them for power.

That might get across better if she had the ability to sacrifice another creature/token to get Double-strike until end of turn instead, rather than it being tied to the tokens specifically. Of course, that would require a more significant overhaul of the card.

I'm all for lore, but what throws it off here is that White only does self-sacrifice effects, while Black prefers sacrificing others. Having the tokens be the ones with the effect on death makes them fit fine under white, which is what leaves the Black feeling more out of place.