We all just intrinsically know the high fantasy, cyberpunk, and space opera tropes for a completely generic setting...

We all just intrinsically know the high fantasy, cyberpunk, and space opera tropes for a completely generic setting. But what are the equivalent tropes for superheroes?

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Superhero
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>It's the "Joker murders five thousand people, gets imprisoned in Arkham and escapes in two minutes" issue

>main superhero team that is beloved
>revolving door prisons
>villains that waste their incredible tech and smarts on robbing banks
>meta characters and abstract forces as people
>characters that get their powers through weird science accidents
>men wear full bodysuits and face-covering masks, women have at least half their face and hair showing, and usually a bare midriff
>smaller, less-liked superhero team/teams that are social pariahs for some reason
>the 'normal badass' street level hero that is always prepared, and variants of him
>the symbol of hope, godlike Superman analogue
>the obligatory female character from far away, WW analogue
>the super speed guy
>infinitely smart super-geniuses that are extreme polymaths and can make time machines in their spare hours

>revolving door afterlife
>small domino mask is enough to completely conceal identity
>black character has electricity powers
>kid sidekicks
>villain's commitment to a gimmick sabotages any chance of success
>Golden Age always exists during WW2 or equivalent

Seven layers of galaxy destroying beings/races/gods, each more destroyer than the last. That can be defeated by your hero team.

That's more anime than superheroes, honestly.

>Even if literally everyone else in the world would be more fitting and reliable - Dr. Hakenkreuz is gonna capture your old buddy to brainwash him into THE BADMAN, because that gives us a relation/redemption angle

>Token diversity Characters
>The angry black guy
>Dead family members.
>Such ridiculous back stories and plot lines that they make Mexican soap operas look reasonable.

>completely generic setting

Moana and Masterminds Freedom City and Emerald City cover the east and west coasts of the US. And that's all you need.

In Superhero settings, people care a lot less about collateral damage and tragedies, since such things are just a way of life.
Like, if 9/11 happened in a superhero setting, people would barely bat an eye. Collapsing buildings and deaths in the thousands are just things that happen. They're certainly not things to start wars over or remember every year.

>Moana

I meant Mutants. This is why you shouldn't phone post.

>massively inconsistent power levels
>NPC cast never interact with oneanother unless it's a crossover
>Crossover further fucks of power levels
>Crossover events are never referenced and no character relationships will remain either

who's the best super hero and why is it spider man

The phone must be going: "YOU ARE WELCOME!"

>A superhero who's superpower is money
>Supergeniuses are probably more common than retards and yet society is a wreck
>Sidekicks and Xmobiles
>Kids/Teens who are bestowed with superpowers
>Femme Fatale villains

Spider man is a beloved hero because he represents the little guy. That's why so many of us relate to Spider man, and to a lesser extend the Flash's. We can't relate to billionaires with twisted dark secrets or God like aliens all that well. That guy who was just a working class stiff that got problems dumped on him circumstance whose just trying to do the right thing and be a good guy, has to balance his "job" and his relationships, and struggles to make ends meet, is someone we can relate to.

Some people may masturbate furiously to power levels and feats, but honestly the ones they really care about are the heroes that speak to their circumstances. That's why so many of the white male working class guys who grew up with comics like Parker I think. It's also why they hate the way the company is changing him, because he isn't that same friendly neighborhood spider man you could relate to anymore. Now he's a billionaire to, lost the family angle, and is pretty much Stark light. And it sucks.

>Worldwide league of superheroes
>Said league never argues politics or gets involved in national affairs except for one big Civil War with few lasting effects
>Worldwide league of villains to oppose them, even if one or more villains are "kill everyone" Chaotic Evil
>Players are the GM's Hometown branch of the hero league
>Speedster is a "quirky" dick

>Supergeniuses are probably more common than retards and yet society is a wreck

In fairness, it's also a trope that most supergeniuses are emotionally maladjusted fuckups.

I feel like the last is actually not a common trope in superhero works. The Flash's are good people, and I wouldn't really call comic book Quicksilver "quirky", and those are the most iconic.

As to the second, they argue small things occasionally, but since most writers are liberals most heroes are written as being very liberal, and generally speaking the morality of the character is tied into that liberality. There are relatively few examples of heroes that are used to express more conservative views. Also, if you think comics never argue politics, you have clearly never read the Green Lantern Green Arrow collaborations. Though those were admittedly shit most of the time in my opinion.

Happens a lot in both DC and Marvel.

For some comics sure. You'll see that in Avengers or Justice league, but most of the time it's villian of the week with the big two. Or at least it used to be. I admit it's been a few years since I've read anything they put out, got to a point where they had fucked all of the characters I liked completely beyond reason and I couldn't stand to see them abused any more and I got out.

...Superheroes nearly always inhabit cities, don't they? Kinda like cyberpunk.

I guess there aren't too many credible rural supervillains. And if you're living in a place with a low population density, what are the odds that you're going to stumble across a crime in progress, even if you're on patrol?

Maybe a supervillain would be smart to build their secret lair under, say, a dairy farm.

>Superpowers arise suddenly in recent history, or in the 1910s at earliest.

Why do you never see historical supers? I'd kill for rules to play medieval X-men, roman green lantern, or fantasy captain america.

I mean in RPGs... Obviously comics authors write what they know, and are willing to do weird alternate-timeline shit sometimes.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Superhero

You should read pic related of you haven't already. Every superhero comics fan should.

A guy who can punch down mountains, a guy who can call forth storms capable of laying waste to whole cities, a guy who can burn hotter than the sun and a guy who has a bow and arrows.
All standing in line to clash with another similarly composed group.

>I know how "power"/"technology"/"magic" works, so I'm immune to it and can disable it with a movement of my hands

Considering how many people don't know what high fantasy is, say Deus Ex is cyberpunk, and couldn't name a space opera outside Star Wars; I disagree with your premise.

Mutants & Masterminds' Freedom City setting has the earliest "supers" (who aren't magic users, or demigods) showing up around during the American Revolutionary War IIRC. I know that's when the original Lady Liberty did, and there's at least one other dude who was essentially Captain America but the power-origin of Black Panther (inasmuch as an herb being what gave him his powers).

Heroes with weird super-science or magical origins keep showing up through out the years up until the early 90s, when Not!Darkseid showed up and killed Not!Superman (coincidentally, in 1992, the same year that the Death of Superman happened). The villain's invasion kicked up the some radiation stuff and that's why more and more superpowered people are happening since then.

All tropes are equivalent.

The two big cape universes (Marvel and DC) are as kitchen sink as it is possible for a setting to be. Every fantasy trope applies, every sci-fi trope applies, every romance, every crime, every punk, and every horror trope is simultaneously in effect.

>if 9/11 happened in a superhero setting
>if

Superman.

Cringe city. Nice to see Marvel has always been shit at shoving random current events into comic books.

That's pretty fucking bad.

Marvel did a 1610 one off irrc. It was pretty rad.

Marvel 1602 was a miniseries, and there were three minis that followed it up as well as follow-ups to those in Secret Wars tie-ins.

>Marvel 1602
That's the one.

It was fucking fantastic, since it managed to basically make Captain America a villain, without changing a single thing about him, keeping him entirely in character the whole time