EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Better in the 99" edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Search for primers at your own risk.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: What legends do you think are better in the 99 of somebody else?

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/timmy-johnny-and-spike-2002-03-08
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-09-17-mairsil-edh/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/stasis-frog/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/big-bad-monstrosities/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Abilities from imprinted artifacts is not activated. He's a good secondary combo enabler along Ooze.

>What legends do you think are better in the 99 of somebody else?
Pic related in pretty much every black deck ever. Sure as fuck doesn't stop me from using him as a commander though.

Most of them.

>Thread Question
Kaho, Minamo Historian

There are so many good non-blue spells to get with her.

I fucking love Azusa as a general, having a on-demand exploration effect is some wonderful bullshit, no one bothers killing her either because no one gives a fuck about dealing with mono-green when there's bigger dicks on the table.

>Thread Question: What legends do you think are better in the 99 of somebody else?
All the mono-colored ones and almost all of the recent sets ones

valuedrop coming through

>Didn't get the point of Knight of the Reliquary at first
>try her out
>She can turn my basics into dual lands, pull out Kessig, Wolf Run when I need it, and fetch me my Strip Mine and Wasteland if someone is up to some bullshit

Well worth the $10

Let me re-ask a question from the last thread - never enough replies

Is there any decent way to upgrade pic related on budget with recently released cards?
My friend wants to start playing EDH with me and my gf and we all want to pick C17 decks - upgrading cats and vampires decks seem to be preaty easy but I have no idea what he should do with this one. I mean I see that the mana-base needs some reorganization but how?

Also are there any good edh tutorials for newbies? Not strategies or competitive deckbuilding - just how to play and do's and don'ts

>valuedrop
>just a tiny beater

Go heavy green and use a lot of spells that search basic lands into play.

>i maek dragun

>immortal ghost/spectre
Weird. This is obviously not a human.

Time Spiral was a weird time to be alive.

Lean heavily into Green. Mana fixing that can grab lands by type, such as Nature's Lore, Farseek, and Skyshroud Claim coupled with even cheap dual lands like the BfZ lands or even Amonkhet's cycle lands can go a long way. You're really only splashing W/U, so a strong R/G center can get you most of the way there.

Play the Signets and Talismans that support your main colors too.

Heavy(est) green to add in ramp and fixing, heavy red since thats most your dragons/lord effects, sprinkle in favorites afterwords. Non-dragons I'd include are xena-god to make those hits hard and heavy. Bowers passage for basically unblockable on your dragons. And decent of the dragons as removal or to "upgrade" mana dorks for late game.

Mana base is the killer there though as it needs a lot of love just to play smoothly before you even start swaping cards in the meat and potatoes of the deck.

I'd recommend throwing in some good 5-color goodstuff. Things like Cascading Cataracts, Crystal Quarry, Maelstrom Nexus, Conflux, etc. Also Haste cards, like Fervor, so you can swing for that 10/10 flying when Ur Dragon drops.

The Bringers from 5th Dawn work really well, too. Main ones being the Black and Blue bringers.

I'd make sure to cut any dragons that cost more than 2 of any single color to play (like Scourge of Valkas) along with dragons that just cost a lot of color symbols in general, unless they do a lot (like Niv Mizzet, or O-Kagachi,they don't do much).

And as and said, lean green and make sure to add some good mana ramp. Skyshroud Claim works great if you get all the half-green Shocks, since they'll count as forests.

I wouldn't be so sure. The priests also wore that shit.

>nuKozzy caged
>Counterbalance on the field with Top caged
You will play
What I want you to play.

Have any CMC 21 cards?

Draco is the most expensive card in the game at 16

Is there any way to search on Gatherer/Magiccards.info for cards that were originally printed in Commander products, ignoring any reprints in them?

Zenith for 18?

Advanced search, search by set.
Gatherer will also show other printings in the right side of the screen, but that shouldnt matyer either way.

Expansion: OR [every commander set] AND NOT [every non-commander set]

>Thread Question: What legends do you think are better in the 99 of somebody else?
Hokori, dust drinker
Nylea, God of the Hunt
Purph

Mono red can't search purph nor can mono white search hokori, having general access to either lets you build your whole deck around them in peace.

>Be Johnny
>Green doesn't ever get artifact love shit so this pops out at me
I'm thinking like the original Glissa, artifact control (liquametal coating + splinter is bae) with some green stampede effects. any cool shit you all are thinking of?

>Johnny
?

>Not Johnny/Jenny
Try not to be so problematic next time ;^)

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/timmy-johnny-and-spike-2002-03-08

Not that user, but nowhere in the question did it say they had to be of the same deck color(s). Overall I'd say they were right though. All those seem better as tech/alt wincons rather than at the head of the deck.

>Playing those in mono colours
Not part of the question. Throw Purphorous in a boros, jund or other token heavy deck for more value than just him. He also works better as part of the 99 in Krenko if you're monored.

Hokori is similar. Use green to untap your lands or unwinding clock+Mycosynth if that's your thing.

>thread question

>monored can't search
Guess again, fucko

>bought purphoros and cloudstone curio for granddaddy markov
>tfw still need an phyrexian altar

On the one hand, that combo is easier in other decks.
On the other hand, all those pieces work well independently in Edgar.

Missed out on there being a new thread.

Suggestions for mairsil deck? obviously I havnt upgraded the instants/sorcery much from the precon.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-09-17-mairsil-edh/

yeah, I'll see how it goes and if it doesn't work out I can always replace curio/altar with some of the new ixalan vampires.

When I search for all cards in Commander 2011, I still get stuff like Acidic Slime that was first printed in M10

That exceeds the character limit

(e:c17/en or e:c16/en or e:c15/en or e:c14/en or e:c13/en or e:cmd/en) -is:reprint

Try that. I didn't actually look through it to be certain, but it should do.

You can see on the right the rest of the sets its been in. Just look for the ones with just the commander symbols.

Also, pay close attention to the cards shown. The site runner seems to have fucked up somehow and random cards in C17 are showing up as other cards.

real talk
why arent you playing yidris yet?

I'm building it now. What's some spicy tech? Especially on the cheap. Also, what direction? I was looking at just getting a lot of value from bigger spells. Ramp up to Yidris then cast something big and get a few free things off it.

I've put in some stuff to give Yidris double strike for double cascade.

Because someone actually has to let me connect which never happens, I'd rather play Wanderer, at least there I get value just by casting the sucker.

if you build oviya let us know. she did work at the kaladesh prerelease for me. it was my first ever prerelease event so she holds a special place in my heart

-is:reprint did it, thanks. Didn't know that one existed and it's not in their list of syntax either

>sifting through 300 cards per commander set when only 50 of them are actually new
No thank you

if you are doing more a battlecruiser style (aka correct fun) instead of a low to the ground storm deck (aka incorrect fun) id include this guy

>battlecruiser style (aka correct fun)
You're what's wrong with this game.

who's your favorite UB/x commander and why?

already found some amazing studf, see pic

/edh/, I've been wondering what combo could absolutely wipe an entire opponent deck off the table - i.e. exile his whole hand, board, graveyard and library. No grudge, just a thought experiment. What's the minimum amount of cards and colors that can achieve this?

Dino jelly because I fucking love reanimator strategies.

>UB: Dralnu
>UBR: Inalla
>UBW: Sydri
>UBG: Damia
>UBRG: Reyhan + Kraum
>UBWG: Reyhan + Ishai
>UBRW: Tymne + Ludevic
>UBRGW: Ramos

Forgot about that guy. I've gotit in another deck, may swap them around. It's been tested in just about every black deck I try.

Sen Triplets/Sharuum because I love artifact bullshit/taking my opponents atuff.

Sygg, he's a low priority target, a solid value engine, cheap to play, isn't overtly broken/oppressive and he's a rogue.

Tormods crypt + junktroller + tunnel vision + a creature with Worldender. Gets rid of everything except their hand. Cast windfall to kill them as they discard their hand and draw nothing. That's all in monoblue but not that much of a "combo"

**stuff

Gisa and Geralf because zombie tribal.

Junktroller+tunnel vision leaves them with a card to draw though

Replace Worldender with Apocalypse but will cause you to discard your hand or use Decree of Annihilation (as it hits hands) but then your opponent may still have enchantments.

Maybe gift leveler somehow?
Also, Sire of Insanity could help

>Maybe gift leveler somehow?
Fractured Identity

They'd draw 1 card, try to draw more and lose. It's close but not enough.

I assume you want them to have nothing but maybe still have a life total just for the fuck of it?

>Get Leveler and Worldgorger Dragon into play with Torpor Orb up
>Sac Torpor Orb to some shit I dunno
>Cast Fractured Identity, and twin it to both of them with some shit
>Drop a boardwipe
>Respond to the stack of Worldgorger leaves play triggers with Sundial of the Infinite

Knight is crazy, I usually fetch cradle and nykthos with it for an insane mana spike

>actually having wrong opinions

I got it last week and swapped out a bunch of the crappy 5+ mana cards and useless dragons for a full set of signets. I get Scion of the Ur-Dragon out pretty consistently on turn 4, sometimes T3 and things get pretty fun from there (big daddy ur-dragon himself is my usual first pick to crap out whatever's cool in my hand)

If Scion is your commander, all you have to do is focus on getting him out fast with some sort of protection. Everything else just happens on its own.

Quicksilver Dragon and silumgar can be tutored in response to removal. I also run Steely Resolve, Swiftfoot Boots, Lightning Greaves, whispersilk cloak.

Primarily green, get all the 1 drop mana dorks and some ramp spells. Aggravated assault if you can still get them cheap because tutoring your scion into savage ventmaw when no one has a flier is the funniest thing since the spanish flu.

It's not a competitive deck, but god is it fun.

>Implying that encouraging people to durdle around and not actually play the game, then whine when someone has some form of interaction in their deck is the only right way to play

>Pirate tribal will barely be fun

I was thinking, instead of using a lot of pirates, I use some token generators and steal creature effects in Admiral Beckett and use things like Xenograft to make them pirates. Something like you conscript your opponents creatures into being in your crew.

I wish Beckett said that creatures you control are pirates though, that would have been extremely flavourfull.

>not actually play the game
>battlecruser as opposed to turn 3 storm
what the fuck planet are you smoking?

This actually seems like a pretty cool creature but I guess people will always spend the (1).

is:reprint

>Implying that the only alternative to battlecruiser is storm

>my rat is no match for dragun

>green ever getting artifact shit
they shouldnt, artifacts arent natural you mong

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/stasis-frog/
Just put this together with what I have on hand, need some recommendations/cards to remove.
Goal is to get Tomorrow and Possessed Portal down along with card draw like Arcanis, then win with Lab Maniac, or wait for my opponents to concede.

Ive been thinking about changing my jarad deck into a sidisi deck. What are some good blue cards to add? I was planning on putting in lab man, cyclonic rift, diregraf captain, wonder, gisa+geralf, and sultai ascendency

Narcomoeba could be cute. Same with Fatestitcher and Kederekt Leviathan.

itll be the same for dinosaurs.
they will be fun on paper but the tribal elements are not strong enough to make them better than any other commander deck. just make them to have fun

Need advice.

I've got some coworkers who I started playing commander with. Consistently its 3 other guys that play. Bottom line, two of the guys are really good friends and they always team up, unofficially. Its gotten to the point that our 4th guy doesn't want to play with them anymore because they ALWAYS team up. I played with them last week and for two games they refused to attack eachother other than love taps, and combo'd off eachother to target me. One guy is mostly neutral and plays very grouphugy but the other guy always goes full agro and targets anyone but his friend.

Heres my question, do I 1.) bring up how much bullshit that is and refuse to play with them if they keep doing that or 2.) spend $$$ on the most unfun misery enducing deck to fuck them both over? I felt so tired after the last session I just dont know what to do.

stop playing with them. state the problem and say youll be skipping on your games. thats it. find other people to play with

>implying everything isnt battlecrusier compared to cEDH

>Implying I was using cEDH as my frame of reference

>It's not a competitive deck, but god is it fun
That's okay, we are all newbies and C17s are our first decks. We just want to keep them balanced against each other and cat/vampire seem to be easier to upgrade with cheap and recently released cards than the dragon ones so I decided to do research here

>implying I wasnt
you really gotta learn to read

Why is Wizards insistent on making this set bad?

More fooder for dino-memes.dec

Fucking love Draco, he's one of the best cards in my gimmick deck.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/big-bad-monstrosities/

recent power creep too high, we need another theros.

still a bit disappointed that this thing isn't legendary by the way.

I mad a gisa and geralf deck (with like $60) and i honestly hate it and feel like it would be better to switch them out for grimgrim. How do I play to the twins strengths?

Scarab God just makes all other UB gods look trash in comparison.

Holy shit, mono-black fucking rules

>Pitching huge shit to feed Volrath
>One-shotting people with a 22/20 commander with Fear and Shadow
>paying huge amounts of mana to a Death Cloud to make everyone lose their shit
>FUCKING NECROPOTENCE
>regularly winning with single-digit life totals
This is the most fun I've had in EDH since I started playing

what are some good combos and nonbos in mina and denn?

>Volrath
You got a decklist for based Saturday Morning Villain

1 mana per card is an excellent return and makes this a strong copy target. This could easily see play in more bombastic spellslinger strategies like Melek and Taigam.