Sup Veeky Forums

Sup Veeky Forums

I'd like to play d&d but I have zero experience. So from what I've heard the game is extremely hard to get into. A friend ofl mine quit after he still didn't understand the gamesystem after playing for half a year. Another dude told me it takes 2 months to understand the basics. So I'm willing to take some time to learn it, but really, months? How can a game be this hard to understand and why is that?

Theres this local gameshop where theres a weekly event. So I think I join that group. Or maybe hang up some flyers to get a group with noobs and one experienced game master? What do you think

Pic unrelated

I'm sorry to say but your friends are idiots. If we are talking about 5th edition it's quite easy to understand. Just learn the basics and other stuff when they come into play.

Unfortunately I don't have any tips on finding a group. I have always gamed with friends.

Your friends are stupid. Just read the PHB before playing, and if there's stuff you have trouble with the other players should be happy to help you. If not, they're assholes and you shouldn't be playing with them anyway.

>being friends with cannon fodder

Ignore D&D and jump straight into the love that is GURPS.

depends on the edition.
3.5 is awesome! and the basic rules are easy... but there are just hundreds of spells and extra rules.... and getting a overview is hard....
so dont play a caster in the beginning, than you should be fine.

>Theres this local gameshop where theres a weekly event.

I'd start there; even if you find that the game they're running isn't up your alley for whatever reason, you might find some people who are looking for a player to fill their own group outside the store. Or recruit the good players to your own game.

The reason the game might take months to learn is because, if you're just coming along to play every week, that's only eight sessions. If you do some reading between sessions, you should be able to get the basics down between your first and second weekly session - if you're a player, especially, focus on just the stuff that your character / class does, and explore from there. As the game goes on, more stuff is going to get added, but hopefully by then you'll have a good grip on the rules you need to play.

Good luck, user.

Don't play DnD, play some rules lite game and move from there to more crunchy games.

You must be trolling

Theres a group that plays weekly in the game shop and on their site they beginners are welcome. It doesn't say anything except that so I have no idea what version they play.

But I don't know how much experience they have. Is it an easy game they can explain to me while they play (without interrupting the game too much for them)

Is that some kind of rulebook?

Any other tips to get info? Good youtube channel perhaps?

Get the 5th edition player's handbook and read the sections explaining the basic mechanics. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes or so. Not sure what was up with your friend.

D&D is pretty easy to get into. Jump in on the weekly event to get a feel for it.

Ask which edition they play. They probably play 5th edition, it's the most recent (people argue for hours over which edition is the best, we won't get into that, but 5th is easy to learn.)

Then get (or download a pdf of) the Players Handbook (PHB) for that edition. You don't need to read the whole thing! Just read the section on combat mechanics, and read through character creation if you want to roll your own. Which you should, it's fun!

You must be trolling or stupid or both.

How long did you take to get the hang of it? And whats the deal with these hundreds of spells and extra rules? I know people like to expand the game and stuff but hows that with just the standard

>5e
2e is GOAT edition

Dude. D&D and a majority of other pen and paper RPGs aren't all that hard to grasp. The basic mechanics of D&D include rolling a 20-sided die vs a number - the higher the better.

Even character creation is easy. I was doing that shit when I was 12 with an edition of D&D that's a bit less simple.

d&d is extremely easy to learn the basics of and there are hundreds of places you can look including some official texts from the dorks who write it for beginners material.

You have nothing to be worried about.

Yeah because recommending the worst edition of DnD with the most trap options is something someone who is trying to help op would do

Oh, please. Not him, but there is a reason Pathfinder, 3.5's copy with the serial numbers filed off, is still a strong #2 in the industry. Whether you like it or not, the game DOES appeal to a lot of people, and continues to get new people who never played back when it was D&D. Part of that is successful marketing, but it's hard to market a turd into an almost decade-long success.

That doesn't make a good game. And in any case, even if it was a good game it doesn't make a good starting point.

Just check the group out, ask if you can sit in for a bit.

If they're playing Pathfinder, that's a really bad system to start with, for reasons beyond just its number of rules.

Get the básic rules PDF that is free on the dnd website. Skim trought character creation and on adventuring and combat. Use a premade character on your first Game, that will maje you start easier (don't use a magic caster yet)

Alright.