/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

"Only WanG" Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Who's making the new 40k RPGs?
ulisses-us.com/in-development-wrath-glory-for-warhammer-40000-roleplay/
Ulisses-Spiel, very well known in Germany. It's set post Gathering Storm, uses a Shadowrun-esque D6 dice pool, and is a unified line with Marines, Humans, and Xenos all playable in the core book.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

The Good, the Bad, and the Alpha Legion (v1.0.0) (Total Conversion Deathwatch into the Horus Heresy)
mediafire.com/file/sbaiodixbeoxxd1

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

Prev: What's your Regiment like? Where are they from? What are they good at, and what makes them unique?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/eaga3g853m8fa4d/Sector map making.rar
youtube.com/watch?v=gsNaR6FRuO0
youtube.com/watch?v=wy-sVTaZRPk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just recently ran a pdf campaign where the group were on planet when nids showed up. They made it to lictors before getting murdered in two rounds even with the tech adept.

Pumping this thread with some questions and begging. I ran a pretty long(5 years) long rogue trader game where the party made some serious enemies, went far and beyond normal men and women and ended the campaign finding a vessel to able to get back in time which they are going to use to do a "what if" with death watch rules.

What I need for a current game are any ways to build a stellar map for rogue trader and if there has been any homebrew rules for a battleship. I do not care that players should never have one, I am in need of one for what we want to do for the next campaign if anyone can help.

The fringe is yours has bfg to rpg conversion rules, you can pick your favorite battleship and convert it.

>if there has been any homebrew rules for a battleship.

>any ways to build a stellar map for rogue trader
mediafire.com/file/eaga3g853m8fa4d/Sector map making.rar

Good luck with your campaign, user.

Must have missed it, will check when I get home.

Do I need bfg for it? If so, where is a good place to get it?

try the 40k general, one of their megas will have all the BFG books ever released

Can I get an explanation on the main differences between 1e and 2e Dark Heresy and why 2e is allegedly better?

DH2:
>condensed skills and talents
>no strict career ranks
>no money
>full auto is not king
>psychic powers work like tests
>sadly, not set in the Calixis sector

The original Dark Heresy came out nearly 10 years ago and was made by GW (under the name Black Industries).

Every 40k RPG since has been developed iteratively, working to refine and improve on the original DH design. Dark Heresy 2e came out three years ago and while it lacks the dozen splat books packed with interesting lore that DH 1e has, it has a significantly more refined ruleset, as it has tried to make use of all of the positive developments the 40k RPG line had in the years in between. It's not a total success and I far enjoy reading 1e books for fun, but if I were to run a new DH campaign, it would absolutely be 2e.

thanks bros

A squad of angry space marines is rampaging inside your vessel.
What do?

Send the entire crew and get them locked down in honorable close combat while you overload the main drive and escape the self-destructing ship.

Release the murder servitors.

All of them.

Thank them kindly for purging the Heretics from my proudly loyal ship.

Have the Magos and his Praetorian servitors provide fire support while the resident Deathwatch killteam deal with them.

Vent the ship, let loose drug fueled ogryns and murder servitors.

My third character in a game that currently holds the record for the longest running game I was part of and longest time I spent as part of.

He started out as a fever dream born of a snap decision in the middle of a session when the ship came upon the fresh wreck of a corsair ship, that then evolved into an actual character. One with a rather ambitious agenda which the ship and crew ended up being part of.

Also first and so far only Xeno I ever played in a 40k game.

>Dark Heresy 2e
>no cybernetics or talents that give a Mechanicus the machine trait
???

>no way to get one of the most frequently power gamed/broken traits in the entire line

Writing a one-shot for introducing new players to Only War.

Starts with a ship crash, a fight against some renegade PDF, and then letting them choose how to move into a town where the hydra batteries are.

From there, I got no idea where to take it. Lost & Damned attack? Dark Eldar? The Sevs have a baneblade? I want to do something that can be played out with a last stand, so if anyone survives I can have them recruited into the Inquisition.

I dunno, suggestions?

Orks.

>a tech priest with thousands of experience points and enough influence to become an inquisitor shouldn't be able to make most of his body mechanical
This is the mentality that makes me always laugh at people that prefer low power DH cuckoldry.

it's more a problem of non techpriests being unrealistically low powered for inquisitorial accolytes.

>Industrial CALLE
CAPTCHA has something to say bur I don't understand it.

Yeah, im sure it is real broken compared to one-shot-kill assassins or murder psykers.

All three at once. They will earn their place in the inquisition.

I like the way you think.

Fuck it. Ménage à trois of awful it is

What was the worst mistake you've ever made in regards to gear i.e. something that isn't a weapon or armor.

Can a human tame a squig?

No.

Better question- Can a human try, and fail, to tame a squig, with potentially disastrous/hilarious results?

It would be extremely painful…

My first adventure in Dark Heresy ever:
We are freshly recruited acolytes, who are going to be introduced to the inquisitor after a short warp travel to his location.
During the flight we were to sleep in cryo-chambers, so we would wake up only when we arrive. We awake in the middle of the flight and find out that our ship merged with a spacehulk. Being that my first game, I was unaccustomed to suff like that. Thinking that everything should be fine, I (one among the entire team) left all my equipment (besides clothes and cybernetics; I played as a tech-adept) in the crew quarters and later never came across my room
Later, on our first mission my character gets kidnapped by the bad guys we were ordered to locate and capture. While the rest of the team lead assault on the enemy compound, dragging all the security to the entrance, I free myself and begin to explore the hideout. I was stripped of all my equipment (only cybernetics left this time) and was trying to locate it, but so far came across only military storage with no trace of my stuff (found a rocket-launcher though, teammates used it to bring down enemy gunship). Then I walk into the room, from where one of our targets was orchestrating all his evil deeds, so, knowing the fight soon will be over, I decide to begin to search for some clues. Then I forgot to check the place for booby-traps, got explosive charge in my stomach, fell incapaciteted and got rapidly evacuated offsite to the medic bay on our ship. And all my equipment left behind the second time

>(only cybernetics left this time)
You were entirely naked for the rest of that mission?

Actually yes, but only if youre a psyker. In the Rogue Trader Navis Primer book under psychic familiars it lists an example Squig.

It does mention that no sane human psyker would ever do this... but it does then follow it up with "but in the Koronus Expanse there are many less-than-sane individuals".

I found some clothes (but not before I made the contact with the rescue team) and moments later I ended un in explosives crit chart, so you can count it as "yes"

You're a squig guy.

Weird question, but say Thunder Warriors came back to slap some shit.

What stats would you give them?

Probs same as Primaris. Maybe less stable.

Primaris. Their genetic instability probably wouldn't show up on a battle-by-battle basis, but if you really wanted to play it up, play them as Blood Angels and field Death Company... Although they wouldn't be Primaris.

>field Death Company
>40k Roleplay General

You got me.

Question 2: How do you stat primaris in 40kRPG's?

You dont

Alright then. Back to square one for you.

If not stating Primaris, how would you propose Thunder Warrior stats would look, hypothetically?

I made some knock off ones in the Karybdis Abyss homebrew a while back, here's the relevant stats.

I'm playing my first Dark Heresy game and I drew the tech-priest role.

is there a listing anywhere of all the "rites and rituals" of the AdMech?

if there isn't I need ideas for prayers, ritual phrases, mantras, blessings, etc.

if I set my mind to it I might see about writing up some from the ideas you give me.

>pic is the art I managed to get out of some fantastic drawfag for my character

Many of your mantras and rituals are in binary, and sound as so:
youtube.com/watch?v=gsNaR6FRuO0
For the rest of it, mixing computer lingo with latin words and archaic expressions (data-djinns, query seance, invoking the crash log's spirits, all sorts of goofy shit) makes for some pretty good technobabble. Also, the Lexicanum should have a list of mechanicus quotes, including rituals and prayers.

cool I got that pulled up next stop I have some kipling to keep handy too

The Hymn of Breaking Strain
Sapper
and
The Secret of the Machines

anyone else have any good poems, quotes, etc. that would fit for an AdMech priest?

So, what tools do you use to plot out your dark heresy campaigns? I'm currently just using google docs, but was wondering if anybody else had some good ideas.

These posts got me thinking of weird things techpriests could say, so I'll list them.

Data daemons, computational maledictions, Omnissiac Inspiration, binary benediction, heretekal gremlins, daily programmatical prayers and recitation, crash report chorus, Prayer Against Syntax Errors, Litany Against Circuitry Corruption, Catechism of Part Retrieval (for when screws and springs fly off), Penance of Part Perdition, autonomous servitor network, mechanical distress, Rite of Industrial Resuscitation.

>for when screws and springs fly off
trust me

as a professional fabricator...it doesn't need to fly anywhere.

It just needs to fall into a blind little corner or crevice...though if you get into the habit of saying a calm prayer whenever this happens I can see the AdMech being some pretty calm dudes

regardless, I will have to find these uses...or improvise them to be more tech-priesty

not Dark Heresy, but I use a sequence of Txt documents in a collection of nested folders containing images and quoted rule-book excerpts.

it's worked very well.
but I should start using word documents so I can format them better and make printouts more easily.

+10AG, S, and Wounds, going by the stats and fluff. I don't know about Mk. X armor though because so far as I know GW still hasn't told us jack diddly squat about what actually makes it better.

oh and +10T, or maybe an extra Unnat S and T instead of a +10. Oh and if they're put into critical, they get battle rage and frenzy and automatically enter franzy.

You're right, crevasses are irritating. Most recent thing to happen to me was a magazine spring getting away from me under pressure and flying across the room. Kinda comical, looking back.

I would not doubt that these cases are the reason that the AdMech developed mechendrites

to reach THOSE GODDAMNED BITS THAT ROLLED UNDER THE GODDAMNED ENGINE HOUSING OH MY GOD YOU PIECE OF SHIT MACHINE

so /40krpg/
whats your favorite/liked/youdidntthinkitsuckedcompletely homebrew sector/supplement some fa/tg/uy came up with?

I'm playing a guardsman in a Dark Heresy 1e game (with Only War updates) and I can't for the life of me figure out how I'm supposed to do damage. I figured out that autoguns are better than lasguns because of their full auto capabilities, but how am I supposed to actually land enough shots for it to matter? I thought point blank range might be my salvation, but then it's impossible to get into that range in practice, since it always takes at least a half action to move, but full auto is a full action, so the enemy can just move right back out/in and then I'm fucked. Semi-auto meanwhile is way too difficult to land extra shots with.

Is it really all just down to luck until I get higher tier guns, or is there something I'm missing?

You're not supposed to do damage. DH1e is a game where you don't get a damn thing done until you're very high level, and even then you only get anything done half of the time.

>DH1
>with Only War updates
>FA is a full action

What updates are you talking about?

not yours

unless you have a good storytime to go with it

>it's not actually a full action
oh shit, I'll need to tell the GM about this.

Though having to get into point blank range just to do damage still sounds like a pretty unreliable approach because I'll probably get shot to death.

Yes, working with your team.
You use full auto to suppress units, move in close, apply flamers and grenades/melee to mop up.
You listened to the memes too much, Accurate quality > full auto spray early game, without doubt.
For your situation, you should not be the only one without a gun, you should be getting a further +10 from half range, and if you are using full auto, you ought to be getting +20 to your roll. That's +30, user, what is the issue, unless your BS is >30?

What houserules are you working with, you goddamn mongrel, we can't give you advice if we don't know your situation.
It sounds like you've read the threads, but didn't understand what went where why.

It's Only War but with different careers.

So... it's ALL the rules of only war, but you are using DH1e career system, correct?

>and if you are using full auto, you ought to be getting +20 to your roll.
Full auto is -10 in OW.

Why not pick DH2 then?..

yes

He said DH1e, so I assumed he was using DH1e rules because he didn't say how much OW was folded in until .
You goddamn dickmongler, aight.
1. STOP THINKING FULL AUTO > EVERYTHING. Your best bet is to take half aimed single shots for the +20 if the target is out of cover, or full auto suppressive fire if they are in cover to move closer. Most combat actions are a half action, so you can move and shoot.
2. Fuck shooting, throw grenades. Due to the scatter system, a frag grenade only scatters 1d5m from where you were trying to plop it. With Blast 4, you are still gonna hit a fucker the majority of the time.
3. Get your people to flank while you use suppressive fire. I once turned back a mutant horde some 40 twist strong with suppressive fire from the back of a burning technical, giving the beleaguered defenders time to counter charge.
You want more advice?
What are your stats, your team composition, and your gear. Also, what are you doing in the investigation.

i assure you user

i absolutely do not

I like the knight thing that elisomethingknight dude came up with. Big bad mechs stomping fuckers out and trying to take things on out of their pay grade is always fun.

What is a voidmaster supposed to do when they aren't driving or whatever? They just seem like an odd role

Fighting and fixing shit.
They are a gearhead class, similar to a rigger from SR. I had mine moving around with cybercreatures and servitors and some Tau drones he had juryrigged.

>someone asks how to do damage early game
>lmao just do single shots
That 1d10+3 won't get you far. It's just too unreliable. You have to get a good roll for your to hit and to wound. If you absolutely have to use an autogun, point blank range really is the way to go, as is using full aims with a red-dotted gun. Also look into special ammo. Stack up your BS as high as it can go.

Grenade spam is legit as fuck though, even despite the seemingly swingy damage dice, mainly because missing with them is extremely rare and bypassing cover is usually trivial. Buy as many as you can until you can get better guns and don't shy away from using them on single targets.

The good the bad and the alpha legion. I always wanted to play a great crusade game.

I really like the name of a sector to be "Crusader's Folly" but I've not elaborated beyond that.

I wish the Ogryn models looked less derpy and more realistic like that.

WS5 / BS3 / S5 / T5 / W2 / A3 / Ld7 / Sv4+

That Adrian Smith painted Thunder Warriors makes a lot more sense rather than Custodes or Imperial Fists, even if its inaccurate to the event.

Find the Infantryman's Uplifting Primer.

What are the possible scenarios where a part of thunder warriors' equipment survived until the 41st millenium?

does it have some AdMech stuff?

How spiky can you be until you get to 'mistaken for heretic' levels?

It has litanies, incantations, and prayers, so you don't have to beep boop your way through while pretending you're worshipping the machine.

Any other means of modifying vehicle Operate test other than MIU in DH2? I need to do some insane maneuvers with an Arvus Lighter and anything to help with that -15 maneuverability would be welcome

Send more angry space marines to deal with them

Besides talents?

For got to add that. Yes, besides talents and skills. I already got Push The Limit, so I can muster 75% (- 15%) at the moment. I sadly lack Fieldcraft and would like to avoid taking more Operate skills because of the costs in XP

Spending a fate point before rolling and maybe assistance from others who also have Operate.

How the fuck do you make an adventure for your party when everything is so god damn deadly. A simple cultist with a lasgun can kill your character with one lucky shot. Am I missing how wounding and leveling works. It just seems like if there are 4 pc's and 12 even low powered goons shooting at them, they are fucked.

> Am I missing how wounding and leveling works.
Possibly. Give a rundown of your thought process on how combat works.

>4 PCs vs 12 enemies
That is way overboard unless if it is an ambush or the like.

Which is why PCs should take advantage of cover, use the element of suprise, have better armour, and never fight fair.

Rarely will PCs be in a situation where they're being fired at by a total of 13 goons all at once. There just aren't enough angles of approach.

Plus, if the PCs are doing something so monumentally stupid as running straight into a firing line? Make sure you tell them that it's not going to end well for them.

Been brainstorming my next DH character and I want to see if anybody can come up with something cool to add. He's gonna be a Highborn Desperado with the Exorcised background.

He's from that one planet where most disputes are settled with pistol duels who got so into honing his skills that he grabbed the attention of a Slaaneshi daemon who ended up possessing him, maybe tempting him into dueling a bunch of his family members or some high ranking members of an allied family or something. Due to his family's influence he was able to get exorcised instead of killed on the spot, but it cost him pretty much everything. He got disowned by his family and fell into obscura addiction in the underhive until he was tracked down and recruited by the Inquisition. So basically he's gonna be in a really shitty position where his addiction and the necessity to use the same skills that got him possessed in the first place to survive on the job will be almost constantly putting him at risk of falling into the influence of the same dark powers that got him into the whole mess.

Thoughts?

>i'm not actually chaos, don't tell anyone

youtube.com/watch?v=wy-sVTaZRPk

>How the fuck do you make an adventure for your party when everything is so god damn deadly.
It's really not.

>A simple cultist with a lasgun can kill your character with one lucky shot.
He has to first of all hit and then get extremely lucky with his dice to make that happen. It's so unlikely that it's not worth accounting for.

>12 goons
That's 3 times the party size, how the fuck does your brain function to make you think it's supposed to be easy?