Best OS for crypto security

TL:DR
what OS is most secure for crypto trading / storage

current tech is old / slowing down / outdated
(4yr Win 8 laptop / 3yr Galaxy S5 / 6yr iPad 2)
so will replace them in coming months

90% of my investment is in cold storage
but are Win 10 / stock Android secure enough for:

>trading on exchange
>spending crypto on desktop / mobile wallet

or should I switch to MacOs / iOs ?
(plz no Linux)

also, anyone here had their crypto accounts / private keys broken into?

Other urls found in this thread:

linfo.org/root.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

cont:

I figure Apple's locked down software, plus smaller market share
must have some benefits against malware

but i've heard recently there have been several exploits in MacOS / iOS,
so not sure how good Apple is VS Windows / Android in security

Obviously some sort of bsd or Linux that can be secure out of the box

Apple has had many major exploits lately

I would recommend Ubuntu if you are new to Linux

(plz no Linux)

sorry but I require applications that Linux doesn't run
and don't have enough spare time to work, research all the new ICOs
and also adopt a new OS

all I want to know is
which is best out of:
>windows
>android
>apple

It's called "pen & paper 1.0"

do you even read before responding?

>90% of my investment is in cold storage

there are these things called exchanges that require software to run

Linux runs everything, either Wine or Virtualbox that allows you to run pretty much everything.
Been using Arch GNU/Linux for over a year now as my daily and only driver - the more I use it, the more I love it.

Isn't macOS essentially a "just works" *nix?

I have a mac for work, I also use one at home. Tried android but went back to iPhone for the comfy ecosystem.

I like Linux but since I have the MacBooks laying around I just use them. So basically Mac or Linux, don’t waste your time with windows.

How about Mac with Linux. Best of both worlds, pretty hardware + awesome OS.

> (You)
>Isn't macOS essentially a "just works" *nix?
Yes but it has cloud integration baked in, which is bad

Honestly if I had a mac I wouldn't even bother with Linux since it just works but still allows you to use the developer CLI tools you use in Linux. And I'm saying this a gentooman, bought a gentoo coffee mug and baseball cap.

The OS is as secure as the user makes it. Therefor it doesn't matter which one you use as long as you're not retarded.

>(plz no Linux)
Hey guys, what's 4+4? Plz no 8

why are you guys choosing to store on a cold computer rather than a hardware wallet?

yeah had a feeling apple might be more secure

but one thing I like about windows is that you can remove admin powers from your primary account
and have a second admin account any time you need to install new software,
therefore limiting a virus's ability to install itself

you can do this on Macs too right?

it's more like

Hey guys, how do I minimize my chances of getting sick
without wearing a fucking hazmat suit 24/7

if you're referring to the 90% in cold storage,
it is in a hardware wallet

having it on a computer would be considered hot storage
(unless nobody else ever gains physical access to it, and has never been connected to internet

I do keep some of my holdings in my mobile / laptop wallet and on exchange so i can make trades

I don't think you understand how root privileges work but basically "yes."

>if you're referring to the 90% in cold storage,
>it is in a hardware wallet
>having it on a computer would be considered hot storage
>(unless nobody else ever gains physical access to it, and has never been connected to internet

oh yeah i read that wrong

i was assuming you were keeping 90% on a "cold" computer (never connected to internet) rather than HW wallet

which HW wallet do you guys trust?

i use Trezor but am considering transferring to a paper wallet

I've had too many USBs and SD cards fail on me to trust my crypto in one of these for much longer

>without wearing a fucking hazmat suit 24/7
I agree that Linux isn't for everyone but it's really not that bad!

what don't i understand about it?
hoping to get a better grasp on security before i upgrade everything

I'm just not the kind of person who enjoys tinkering around with every aspect of an operating system
had android for years, and apart from:
>multitasking
>using phone as TV remote
i never did anything on it I couldn't do on an iPhone

knowing myself, I'd give up on Linux halfway,
and not end up getting any of the benefits

But can't you restore all the private keys on a hardware wallet using the 24 key words?
If I understood it right there's no need to worry about hardware failure.

don't use windows, there have been reports of coins being stolen without even having stealing malware. If you have few coins don't worry about it but if you're loaded, don't use windows.

As for phone both operative systems should be fine, however, you should know that a lot of android brands modify the default and therefore are late on updates or just don't update often. You're fine with google phones but they're shit imo. Just research it if you want to be safe

>don't use windows, there have been reports of coins being stolen without even having stealing malware
wat

I know, as I said it's not for everyone, so I wouldn't recommend it to you. But it really isn't as bad as you seem to think it is.

Alright so root in mac and other *nix system works like this. "root" is the user name or account that has access to all commands and files. It's referred to as the "superuser" account. Kinda like Administrator in Windows. But how it works is that you don't make an "administrator" account, you can just give someone the ability to act as root on their account, as long as they have the root password or root privileges.

For example:
Say you want to type something in a command line to do some thing. Doesn't matter what it is, let's just say the command is "thing". So you would type "thing"
>thing
Then the system might inform you that you need root access to do "thing." So you could type:
>sudo thing
"sudo" is a command that allows you to run things as the root user but from your restricted account. It stands for "superuser do". But your account needs sudo privileges to do that. If your account has sudo privileges, then all you need is your account's password.

Now say you don't want to give your account sudo privileges because you don't want your password to be able to change the whole system. Well there's a command called "su." You would just type "su" to login as root in a command line, but you need to have the actual root password for this; your account's password won't suffice.

Read here if you want a full explanation: linfo.org/root.html

1) avoid android at all costs, this is non-negotiable
2) ios is fine if you're very careful about what apps you decide to install, you should only deal with small amounts of money stored on iphones
3) windows is a minefield unless you can buy a new machine and physically disable internet connectivity/bluetooth/etc

the best way to store money is a new shitty laptop running linux with a hardware wallet, and if you're a normie your iphone is fine

if thats true then I may stick with Trezor

>coins being stolen without even having stealing malware
um, go on please?

ok great, thank you

>if you're very careful about what apps you decide to install
yeah I never download obviously shady stuff

but doesnt iOS lock down the interaction between apps on the phone?
what damage could a malicious app actually do?

>God-tier
pixel 2 / pixelbook
>abnormie tier
flip-phone / kali linux
>normie tier
iphone / macbook

Are pi wallets any good?