Competitive Games

Why do some people play certain tabletop games competitively? Aren't tabletop games mostly about laying back and relaxing rather than winning at all costs? It just seems like a strange choice for a competitive outlet.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LQsJSqn71Fw&feature=youtu.be&t=3m56s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>anime poster asks inexplicable nonsequiter question again

Would you be happier with a different OP image then?

>Aren't tabletop games mostly about laying back and relaxing rather than winning at all costs?

Chess is a tabletop game.

So is poker.

What about mass marketed ones then?

yes

Tabletop RPGs are an offshoot of competitive gaming, originally developed as an elaborate hero-unit and intersession scorekeeping system for Warhammer-style minis wargaming.
There's nothing wrong with the cooperative style, but the competitive one is the original; when rulebooks or groups type a lot about specifically being cooperative it's at attempt to set out a unique identity by stepping away from that default.

I ask myself this all the time. It is one thing to want to win (we all hope to win don't we) but I have seen people who literally cannot enjoy a game unless they are crushing their opponent into the dirt. I think for some people winning a tabletop game is the only "win" they can consistently get in their lives.

Good standards are meant to exist in competition. Everyone there is competent and no one wastes your time

No, they just have legitimate mental issues that society doesn't deem an actual disease due to how competition is put on a pedestal in the adult working world.

t. person who winning a video or tabletop game is the only "win" they can get, yet finds curbstomps boring and pointless. Auto-wins are no different than not playing at all unless you are some kind of mentally ill sociopath.

>poker and chess aren't mass marketed
>what are war games?
>what is warhammer?
user, do you merely just?

Mass marketed in that they aren't open domain.

I don't think that Warhammer was mentioned, but that would be an example as it is a commercially made game.

The Queen of the Great Greed Highway rules intercontinental trade from high within a tower carved from a meteorite. She lusts for something different each and every night. What she desires tonight is:

Roll 1d20:
01-Three young elves, preferably male.
02-The finest pig's ear and blood soup.
03-Two dozen mosquito burgers.
04-Fresh-picked lava flowers.
05-Her mother's milk.
06-A dozen gamboling sphinx apes.
07-A basket full of the finest chanterelles.
08-Smelling salts pilfered from Flamingo Lake City.
09-Diced stegosaurus liver.
10-The stewed hearts of a rude pauper and a diabolical nobleman.
11-The deep fried brain of a rebellious devil.
12-A dancer from the Lightless Forest.
13-You.
14-A book of poems written by a Being of Ib.
15-A bathrobe sewn from the skins of vampires.
16-The opalized skull of a gug.
17-The dying breath of an ancient king.
18-Twenty-one dog-riding thugs for a gladiatorial event.
19-Sap wine from a new moon willow.
20-Two orphans to breastfeed.

These honestly.
Really not entirely dissimilar to people who play to fulfill power fantasies/be the thing they aren't.

The Warmahordes crowd in a nutshell.

Because they like it I think

I don't want to really believe there are people that play TTRPGs to win them, but it must be so. A game means winning, typically.
All the Colville-posting dragged me up to this video, which I found interesting. I often conflated the "Powergamer", "Murderhobo", and "Tactician", though I suppose incorrectly. They are all, however, oriented around "winning" in some way.
youtube.com/watch?v=LQsJSqn71Fw&feature=youtu.be&t=3m56s

Some people are emotionally maladjusted and can't stand to loose. Ever. A good friend i've known for twenty years is like that. I love the guy, he's a really solid guy, but he can't stand loosing. He flips his lid and lashes out at everyone. It's really hard to tolerate when it happens. Dude has issues, but he won't awknowledge there is anything wrong with his temper tantrums and that a grown man probably shouldn't behave like that.

Well, that certainly explains the people who are so afraid of "losing" that they need every session to be guided no-consequences storytime. But OP's question was about the people who treat TRPGs like a friendly game of chess.

Not him but at no point did OP mention anything like that. OP said something to the effect of "why they gotta be that way?", and our user basically said 'brain problems'.
You clearly understood what they meant, dont be a dick.

Surprisingly informative video. Thanks user.

This reminded me the RPGs are basically to wargaming what MOBAs are to RTS.

I think for some people, playing tabletop games in a laidback and relaxing fashion is just a shield people use to deflect from their incompetence.

jesus christ user, what are Spikes? Some people just find competition fun, it's not some existential insecurity.

My own habits tend toward tactician, but if anything it's because I want to LOSE. Not always, and certainly not "you didn't roll above 18 on Spot, rocks fall and you die", but what motivates me is the suspense of my character's story being written as I go.

A game interests me the most if I'm constantly making hard decisions with the DM as an adversary player and the dice as a referee.

Because there's rules for tournament play and it's endorsed by the company that produces it? See Warmachine, Warhams, MtG, among other things.
Of course it's important to probably clear first what kind of game you're playing beforehand, if your playing against strangers (for example in MtG if I only have a Highlander deck with me and my opponent only a modern deck, it would be quite an awkward game)

That's a really weird storyteller/tactician hybridization, but I think I understand. The two have one thing in common: "don't you fuck with the game, GM" mentality.

I'd really like to try a GM as scenario author/DM as literal dungeon master split, where the first is out of the room and not adjusting things on the fly to let my character ~heroically~ ~overachieve~, while the second is working with a limited preselected toolbox rather than willing and able to pull hard counters out of his ass to save his intra-session pacing.