Why the fuck is this 500 dollars

Why the fuck is this 500 dollars.

kickstarter.com/projects/1834692986/gaddis-gaming-tabletoppertm

It's foam. Am I retarded?

Other urls found in this thread:

firmerterra.com/purchase-now/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Welcome to kickstarter

Well they made the 15k they wanted. But it is shit.

I really like the design but it's fucking foam and shouldn't cost more than like 100 dollars i feel - if nothing else I'll just build my own I guess.

All portable Veeky Forums tables are hugely expensive and overpriced compared to DIY options or regular non gaming equivalent tables.

This product is unnecessary, and it's price kills its value.

The whole point is I'd want several of them, that are both modular and stackable, and can easily go on a smaller table than the surface.

The answer for me is clearly a diy option made of plywood or something, but I'm not dragging it around town.

I was in the process of planning a plywood thing that was almost the exact same and was really excited when I stumbled upon the kickstarter, but seriously raged when I saw the price.

Plywood and felt.
Designed to be stackable for storage
Easily switch between them on demand so you can pre-lay out your terrain for multiple scenarios/places and switch as necessary.

Oh yeah baby I already bought the felt.

...but

Five hundred dollars! For what, cup holders and some trays? Oh wait, its slightly wider than standard long folding tables. That's all this thing offers and they want $500.00.

Bullshit.

Modular for storage could also be good. I dunno how I'd do that though, as ideally it still holds together without a table beneath it, so you can fit a 4x6 (or maybe even 6x8) tabletop on a 3x3 table.

Nobody wants to play tabletop or wargames in a pool.

>yea let me just pull out my books
>wait, how about my .pdf on my phone
>uhh, character sheet!
>DAMNIT

Oh that's totally asking for trouble broski. Trying to get all that on a 3x3 would be a total pain. I actually bought a cheapo 6 foot folding plastic table from amazon. I plan on doing 3 planks at 2 ft by 4 ft. So I can have a 4 by 4 or a 4 by 6. I plan on trying to come up with some locking magic but I think they'd be heavy enough on their own to start.

Yeah, but I want to play a pick up game in a jacuzzi.

>Deploy my all metal Imperial guard infantry horde
>Table literally fucking collapses

Pleb/10

>His phone isn't waterproof up to Xft for XX minutes or whatever mind is rated at.
Haha consumerism.

Can anyone tell what type of foam it is? All they say on the kickstarter is 'high impact automotive foam' which I don't think is an actual technical type of phone ala polyethylene/EVA/latex etc.

Oh you misunderstand.

I want a large tabletop, with I can stably stick on top of a smaller table.

So when I'm not gaming it's a regular shitty table in the garage, and when I am gaming I can comfortably seat 8-10 people with laptops around the edge and and terrain in the middle.

> Phone
Nailed it.

I guess I just see sadness and sorrow when trying to get a 4 x 8 onto a 3x3. Seems like it would sag - I'm curious if you have any idea of how to counteract that.

Shy of a single solid piece of something sturdy, only think I can think to do is do like an expanding dining room table and have complex supports underneath.

I guess I could always plop it on a white plastic folding table or something, and just put the table in a closet between games.

Plastic folding table is exactly what I'm doing. I like being able to have a completely hide away gaming setup.

Well, it's a neat idea, but I can literally just go to fucking Home Depot and buy some lumber and pasteboard, and DIY this shit in an afternoon with my brother if I want. So good job fucking up your own project, I guess? If you're going to charge exorbitant prices for something, you should at least make sure it's made in such a way or out of such a material that it can't be easily, and I mean VERY EASILY replicated in someone's garage if they have a dremel, an electric sander, and a bucket of black paint.

>polo shirts and swim trunks

Probably, but I don't think your feelings are wrong about this in particular.

>materials
Theirs is foam, and modular, presumably so you can load 3 of them in the car and bring them wherever, for people who game nowhere near home.

>black paint
Why? Black felt would work better.

I picked up your mom in the Jacuzzi

Tabletop gamers need some way to dick wave to one another. Wargamers tend to get it from the sheer cost of the models amd by extension tcg players from a the cost of the cards. Though of course there's still a market for superfluous expensive things as a fool and his money are parted easily.

TRPG's however are relatively incredibly cheap so this phenomena creeps up the most here. TRPG players get chrome dice, custom dice boxes, assorted merchandise ,and gaming tables such as this with a ridiculously premium price. All to show how big their RPG peen is.

This company is smart in realising people will pay that sort of.money for this thing and pricing it appropriately. Face it if they charged $50 for it people would think it was cheap. So good for them.

you know what? You're right, and I can still buy all of that shit on my own. Hell, foam would be easier to cut to shape and wouldn't require a lot of sanding to look smooth and finished.

Thousands of dollars.
THOUSANDS

Thanks for the foam idea bitch, rest is garbage.

MARCO!

Economy of scale. I'd also assume they don't own the production plants for this shit

You can buy 3 2x4 panels of half inch MDF, then glue a felt over top with spray adesive and e-6000. You get a board that tri-folds into on 2x4 panel and costs like 20-30 bucks.

Plywood is heavy and will sag like a motherfucker. MDF is really, really heavy, and might sag a little. Consider trying to get hold of a large door - they're lightweight enough to be easily moved by a couple of people, and rigid enough that they shouldn't sag at all.

You'd need at least two doors to get a full sized table going, and you'd have to worry about holes being poked in it since the door is hollow.

You can get 8x4 doors, and it ought to at least be fced with 3mm ply or something similar, meaning that it'll take a bit of doing for someone to put a hole in it. It'll still be lighter and stiffer than ply or MDF. The other alternative they could go for is an 8x4 sheet of styrofoam, but that'll get dinged up in no time, and might snap in half if mistreated.

>3mm
that's thicker than I thought.

>8x4
Right, you'd need two of them for 8x6. Pretty big table needed for 8-10 players, and everyone has all the books on laptops in front of them. It's probably 1.5 ft eaten up on all sides, so 6x8 becomes a 3x5, unless you do like an upper deck lower deck type thing.

4x8 would be like 1x5, and that's just no good.

>styrofoam
Maybe with a hefty coating of paint mixed modpodge to give it a rigid shell, or if you glued acrylic to all sides.

No, you must first roll Charisma.

Have one of those
>300ft up to 45min
Ok, faggots, in which situation do you think my phone is going to be 300ft deep in water for 45min? do you thing I'm going to casually dive 100 meters and be crushed by the pressure just to see if my phone works fine?

>upper deck, lower deck
>players have their laptops below, then about a four higher are interchangeable boards to put minis and such on.
That's probably the way to go , but that means fully custom table.

Are you the same guy from yesterday that can't figure out how to use Carlos?

Is it a patented design? I bet it's patented. The whole point isn't to present a neat thing for table top gamers, it's to sue the pants off anyone making something similar. That's where the money is. This is a late-to-the-table setup for patent trolling.

I could see that. Almost nobody will pay 500 for a foam table topper, when they could easily Diy something better for cheap.

They're copying the GW business model.

Free market.
If people want it, they will pay for it.

The problem with kikestarter is that usually the ONLY people who want the thing are the backers, so once you sell your initial run, the hype is gone and you don't see many new sales, and all the 3rd party knockoffs come along.

That's why companies like mantic have to keep doing kickstarters. They do well on one, release the game and EVERYONE who wanted it backed the kickstarter so they don't get many post-sales.
Then they do ANOTHER kickstarter for the next game. You shouldn't have to do that, it should be strong enough for a retail release but the model works for them.

A proper company like Wizards just releases rune wars and lets the market decide.

This guy is actually a game store owner in michigan,ritzy area north of detroit, I think. I'm ina facebook group with him and he is.. interesting.

Standard GW battlefield is 6x4, not 8x6. Even so, that kind of size is pretty enormous. I have a dining table that's 7x3.5 and it'll seat a dozen people or more for a meal. Gameswise it's enough to play a fairly large board game (something like GoT, for example) with six players and only use half the table, and can hold a game of 40k if you squeeze your deployment zones by 3". 8x6 would be like four full-size dining tables pushed together, you really don't need something on that scale.

>standard GW battlefield
I'm running large group tabletop rpgs, not playing warhammer. Hence the "10 laptops around the edge of the table".

Once the laptops are considered, that's a 3x5 space for minis and such.

A Double decker design would allow me to make a much smaller table footprint, and 4x6 would be plenty.

>he doesn't laminate his books
>his character sheets
>his models

git gud, scrub.

Also: Floridian/louisiana gamers would do this, yes because of the heat but also because they're retarded.

Pretty much this, I saw this, was interested up to maybe $80, and then just went 'yeah nah'. I could probably easily DIY it myself using those pictures more or less.

>Laminating an entire book
God, I'll bet someone seriously does this for their whole RPG library. The costs must be astronomical.

>I could probably easily DIY it myself using those pictures more or less.

This

Hey faggots firmerterra.com/purchase-now/

Here have a table.

>$189
I can get a lightweight, sturdy folding table from wallfart for $35

Yes, but does it have GLORIOUS 3 pairs of legs, and can switch between 6x4 and 4x4

>saw these guys at Gencon
>thought it was pretty decent
>500 bucks
Lmao fuck that
In all fairness though, it was pretty sturdy for a 4x6 on a 3x3 table, even when pushing down with 20 or so pounds of force.
Definitely not worth 500, though.

Not made of soft foam, do not want.

Anyone know offhand if they ship to Canada? Site only says US

Anyone know the approximate dimentions of this?