media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
What are some classes from earlier editions you'd like to see again in 5e?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!rAoGFBBJ!7oaBSiTtMQl5uDnevTEzHw
astranauta.github.io/rewards.html#Blessing of Health
dnd.wizards.com/extralife2017
extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donordrive.participant&participantID=247913
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

EN5IDERanon here again. I've fully updated my mega.

mega.nz/#F!rAoGFBBJ!7oaBSiTtMQl5uDnevTEzHw

Cools, what's in the updates?

>what classes from older editions would you like to see again in 5e
I'm going to have to go with Dwarf

Okay, so last thread a lot of people discussed the Sorcerer (as usual), so I thought I would pose a question to all those people playing with their own sorcerer homebrews:

What makes the PHB sorcerer bad on its own, but good when used in MC builds?

There is a very simple answer to this, and if you don't know what it is, then you shouldn't be making homebrews for the sorcerer.

154 to 165. I haven't looked through them all yet myself actually.

>A few Sorcadin talks going on in the previous thread.
>Most say go 2/X Pal/Sorc.
>I'm going 6/X

Have I fucked up too hard?

No,you did fine.

What are the five most essential house rules for running 5E?

>What are some classes from earlier editions you'd like to see again in 5e?
Don't know, I think we have the most important ones already, in fact we could do with axing a few *cough*mystic*cough*.

But to take a negative spin in the question: I DON'T want any of snowflake tier horseshit from the 3.5/pf splatbooks. Fuck all those retarded classes they introduced.

It would be like making every single dandwiki class official, with no revision. Or like introducing the Mystic in its current state.

I do the third one, is that bad?

Level 6 is pretty great to get to as a Paladin. It is almost a mistake NOT going to 6.

Aura of protection is amazing, especially with a high charisma.

>All +1 racial stats are considered floaters to be assigned to any stat other than the +2

Might be a dumb question, but whats an MC build?

>astranauta.github.io/rewards.html#Blessing of Health
In which book are the rewards? DMG? What is the difference between a Blessing, a Boon and a Charm?

Sorcerers use spell points (DMG) instead of slots, and combine them with Sorcery Points
Monks get a d10 hit die
Use the Revised Ranger UA instead of the PHB Ranger
Longbow has the finesse property, which by RAW allows you to use Strength instead of Dexterity for its attack and damage rolls
GWM/Sharpshooter are changed from -5/+10 to -prof/+2*prof

Multiclass.

I've been playing for around a year and a half and I've never heard of en5ider before

What should I look into especially if I'm all about running Curse of Strahd?

Great, I thought as much. That aura will help out immensely.

>GWM/Sharpshooter lose the power attack ability, which instead becomes a baseline ability anyone proficient with a weapon can use.

>write bare minimum world information to establish lore, potential plot directions, typical backgrounds for each class, and get the player's creative juices flowing
>players all fill in the blanks with their own backstories, creating factions and towns and cultures themselves, which gives them real stake in the world since they have a hand in creating it
>when players arrive at a new area, i'll usually give one player the chance to invent something about it, prompting it as "you've been here before" or "you remember stories about this place"
>players think of quizzical geographic features, local businesses, old friends, and even old enemies

I respect GMs that can run a tight ship with a thorough world but there's so much value in truly collaborative worldbuilding.

Duskblade
Dragonfire adept

Also Clawlock, not a class perse but you could teleport and full attack with your eldritch claws at will for incredible good mobility character

>Tfw ever talks about sorcadin
>Mfw going Paladin 6/Lore bard 14
>Mostly because as an OoA can actually make it fit in game character development
DM has heard about sorcadin, also he only allows MCing if you can justify it in a substantial way.

I remember doing this for std wars.

I always had a general idea of what the place was about, and generally drop a few key things. If 1 or more players rolls high, I throw the ball to them, and let them flesh out the world with some of their own ideas.

I know it can come off as lazy though. You need to know your players to do this properly.

check out their halloween stuff and their monster groups

>std wars
Oh my god, I meant Star Wars.

Ahh of course. Well I'm not going to go making any sorc homebrews, but now I'm curious as to what the correct answer would be.

Depends, 6 levels in Pal is if you're interested in the auras, which are a good bonus for the entire party. If you're more "selfish" 2 is enough.

There's also the point in how long do you expect the game is going to last, or how fast you guys level.

>psionic hater shows up
you autists are the worst posters in /5eg/, bar none

This man knows what's up

>bar none
If you mean "tied with mystic fags", then yes.

You are both equally cancer.

mysticfags are people who enjoy a specific class
mystichaters are badwrongfun: the people

Anyone here ever run Treasure of the Broken Hoard? And if so what advice do you have for running it
>inb4 don't

>What makes the PHB sorcerer bad on its own, but good when used in MC builds?
Limited spells known, but full caster amount of spell slots. That's literally it.

And Metamagic cheese in a few cases, but that's not a problem.

I want to make a Mount and Blade type character, aka dude who leads men into battle. How do hirelings/followers work in 5e? Are they just under-levelled or weakened PCs? Are they just statblocks of townguards? Do they scale with the party?

Consider what you get from multiclasses, and what role the sorcerer has in it.

>Sorcadin
Divine smite. Sorcerer levels are purely because they are a full caster, and get far more spell slots than a paladin. You dont actually want the sorcerer aspects, just the spell slots. Having a few CHA based ranged options is icing.

>Sorlock
Eldritch blast gives them a worthwhile cantrip, but sorcerers are still fullcasters. Also, quickened EB is insane amounts of damage and utility with the evocations.

And then you see Sorc multiclassed with druids and wizards, just to get meta magic. It is not that difficult to see why.

Their core mechanics are fine. Full caster is good. Meta magic is great, if a tad poorly balanced.

But their spell selection is so shit, that they barely have anything useful to spend their spell slots on. This is why Paladin is good and popular. It gives you something good to use the spell slots for.

Sorcerers with a better spell selection would be easily comparable to a Bard. But with the current list of spells they have, they are only good for extremely limited utility, blasting, which is more or less similar to a wizard, and party face material. That is it.

It is just multiclass material right now. Hell, even certain UAs made them better by giving them a better spell list (favoured soul/stone sorc)

>mysticfags are people who enjoy a specific class
No, mystic fags are autists who will complain and screech about their favourite snowflake class being bad mouthed, and derail entire threads to do so.

You are no better than the anti-mystic faggots who also shitpost all thread long.

>Limited spells known
This isnt the core of the problem. They dont need to have 40 spells know. A limited amount of spells would be fine, IF they actually had some useful spells to pick from.

Whenever my monk gets targeted by a ranged projectile attack, it misses, this is hell

My house rules that I usually use in every game are:

-Everyone gets a Feat at level 1

-Getting knocked unconscious grants one level of exhaustion to prevent yo-yoing

- Short rests take 10 minutes instead of an hour

-Milestone leveling

-Leveling up your health, you can roll once, if it's lower than the average you can choose to roll again or take the average.

>IF they actually had some useful spells to pick from.
or, more importantly, had some non-wizard spells to choose from. There are only 8 spells on the sorcerer spell list that aren't on the wizard's

Hey more ki for stunning and punching the shit out of people

I just wanna catch them man, I don't even want to throw them back

>-Getting knocked unconscious grants one level of exhaustion to prevent yo-yoing

I've never been a fan of this. Why not make it so failed death saving throws don't go away until a Long Rest?

I actually want mind seeing the seeker again just cause the idea behind it seemed cool. That or Shaman from oriental adventures.

If I have a player who's taken the effort to make a piece of equipment important to his backstory (e.g., an ancestral weapon) what are some options I have as GM for giving that player ways to keep that item viable throughout the campaign instead of quickly becoming outclassed by magical +1 gear and the like during later levels?

You don't. Magical items that don't tell the player a story get shunted into the Golf Bag of Staves holding in under 3 sessions.

Enchant it for the purpose of overcoming magical resistances, but that's it

One thing that I made for one of my players that he really liked was that he could talk to the spirit of his family, the manifestation of the embodiment of the ghost line of the house VonZeit, communing with them for guidance in dark lands

Shadowcaster, but specifically built around shadowpouncing. Maybe as a rogue subclass or something.

Personally I worked with a guy to have bits missing, like a gem from the eye of the lion on the pommel, eventually they did a quest for an ancient elf who had knowledge of how to inscribe runes into weapons of a certain material that just so happened to be what his blade was made of. The gem gave him the first boost to keep it competitive then the inscribing laid ground work for buffs later, once inscribed correctly a strong enough wizard could enhance it once more due to reasons. Since the party didn't have one it made it a quest when he needed to bring it back into line with the rest of the party, then again we normally run campaigns to 20 unless a tpk happens or the adventurers decide they've done enough or want to retire for some reason.

Can always go the simple route
'Literally so good with this family weapon that overtime he gets better and better +1/+2/+3 equivilent'

It was basically a less useful version of the totem Barbarian level 10 feature.

My DM has this thing where he made up a magic "ritual spell" that lets you take the bonuses of other magic weapons and tack them onto that

Whatever you do don't do something cancerous like that

Make it both plot relevant and unmatched during certain conditions.
For example, a legendary maul forged by dwarves of the north. It's a relic of a god. Deals extra 1d6 cold damage. +1 to hit, +proficiency against undead

>It's a relic of a god. Deals extra 1d6 cold damage. +1 to hit
>+1 to hit, a shortsword's worth of damage
Some relic

>Variant human banned
>all players get a feat lvl 1
>getting knocked to 0 gives you one level of exhaustion
>normal human gets an extra skill and a tool proficiency

That's fucking garbage, user

>Deals extra 1d6 cold damage. +1 to hit, +proficiency against undead
>Cold damage
>Bonus on top is against undead

The only way you could get a worse item than that is if you actively tried

warden, I actually been on and off trying to convert it from 4e to 5e, with it's key feature being the transformations

What if I just want to play a mystic because I want a character that needlessly and obnoxiously teleports everywhere while fighting, and Misty step just doesn't cut it?

Even the fucking bagpipes of invisibility are more useful

The gods don't need fancy toys to be powerful
The weapon just got more powerful due to god magic rubbing off on it

I still wouldn't be calling a rare or very rare at most weapon a "relic of the god"

Magus from PF was pretty cool, I have always liked the classes that could channel spells through their weaponry and also buff themselves up a little. Felt flexible.

>dnd.wizards.com/extralife2017
>extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donordrive.participant&participantID=247913

Anyone donating? If they reach 40K we will get the table of contents and Subclass Previews for Xanathar’s Guide.

>Deals extra 1d6 cold damage. +1 to hit, +proficiency against undead
Garbage m80
>Deals an extra 1d8 radiant damage
>+1 weapon
>Becomes +2 against undead
>Has x uses of turn undead, recharge same as ability
>All undead take 1d8 radiant damage when used, half if they pass the save

How do we make vanilla humans competitive with other +2/+1 races? A freely assignable +2/+1 and proficiency in any 2 skills and any 2 languages?

just keep their base ASi and tack on some extra skills and proficiencies. makes them basically half elves but for someone who isn't focusing on CHA

i'm interested in the Tortles! Shit better be AL legal

I would give my life for AL legal tortles

>Magus from PF
Taking into account OP said D&D, try Duskblade

>tfw the campaign I'm DMing has to be cancelled
>The campaign I'm playing in I have to leave
Fucking full time college bullshit

I actually gave that item to one of my players a couple sessions ago
He actually used them the same session as part of a performance in a tavern, was pretty dope

Give the sword an ability that isn't stat related or doesn't relate specifically to combat. Maybe the sword's bearer can always detect an NPC's true intentions, because the sword once belonged to a wise king, or something like that.

Pretty easy, don't give magic weapons to the rest of players

So how much time does it have to pass for players get exhaustion for not sleeping?

With the strenuous exertion of a day of travel/adventuring? A full day at most.

Up to the DM, there's no hard rule for it

Does not the DMG cover this under travel and "pushing yourself"? Dungeon exploration would be every bit as exhausting as travel. (moreso mentally)

Hello friends
I am at a loss, and my villain friend is also.
What does a competent dread pirate/demigod villain do with a fleet of airships in a setting based around floating islands?

again they are making them to be put into DM's guild, but for me, unless it's AL legal it can't be used cause AL is the only game in town where I am.

See: Forced March

Exhaustion is a good mechanic that plays perfectly into the resource management that comprises 5E's combat.

A player who gets knocked unconscious twice in a combat now needs deal with two levels of exhaustion for the rest of a dungeon crawl that can't be whisked away with a short rest.

Try not to fall over the railing?

I don't give a fuck.

Just don't shit up the thread with your autistic and screeching defence of the class.

Great, barracade in a room and long rest

That's for forced marches, not lack of sleep

I play alot of AL and I want to make a tortle character so I'm with you

It depends on his motives. People who aren't catatonic have motives, right?

hurr durr 10-foot pole am I good at D&D yet

Most of the class is a cluster fuck, it's not like I'll deny it.

Triple the base time and the time between saves and you're good to go.

>Umber Hulk burrows into the room

>Mystic is a class for severe autists
>Shrill autistic REEEEEing ensues for rest of thread
Well, that certainly shows them!

???

if the players are fighting and doing physical activities?

Befriend the umberhulk and use it as a guard

Well that wasn't part of the original question