"Homage" Thread

What's the last thing you blatantly stole and used in your game?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/vJ-ch42vK1I
youtube.com/watch?v=Tc8iu0XFUQc
youtube.com/watch?v=2wb5fvWptS0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Primaris Captain Conan Obryon

Ran my group through an abridged version of the opening dungeon in Baldur's Gate II since I knew none of them had played it and I was too lazy to be original.

I'm statting various Battlemechs from Mechwarrior for use as adversaries in an upcoming game I'm planning to run.

Final boss is going to be an Atlas. The AC/20 is going to sheer off limbs if my players are dumb enough to get hit by it.

Touhou characters
I'm up to 17 npcs "Borrowed" at this point.

Copied the entire background story and most of the plot to Megaman Legends 2 for my last campaign

Literally the Scarlet Devil Mansion.
As in, I just plonked them into a bubble in their reality that was Gensokyo itself. They're now considered "friends of the breakable kind" by the younger of the two lolipires, and "oddly amusing creatures" by the elder.
This is the second time it's happened.
The first time plonked them down outside the Hakurei Shrine.

I ripped off Undertale, the PCs ended up in the underdark where the lost souls of monster races dwelled in purgatory, and had set up a little town while waiting for the King of All Monsters to get revenge on the human world and set them free

Mah touhounigger

How did it turn out?

I've also introduced an inter-dimensional bar in the setting, that's just a fun little side place where they can either test their skills or interact with former characters. It's basically Valhalla, with more booze, and accessed by keys, though first contact involves discovering an open door.
One of the players gave a certain Lolita Oni a key. There may be a drinking contest in the future.

Players really enjoyed it.
They met the Death Knight guardian skelliton and his brother the High Priest of the Bone God.
There was an illithid trinket vendor and his servant Nothik.
There was a Kobold slum.
There was a Flameskull Mayor in a birdcage who offered wisdome and advice.
There was a singing dancing band of Deep Gnome miners.
They had to rescue the Dwarf blacksmith who had been forced to forge Adamantium weapons for the bad guys.
Eventually they fought Undyne the Merrow Clericwho summoned a bunch of spears
Eventually they reached The Lab where a dragonborn scientist woman was observing them and informed them of the secret temple where they could escape to the surface

I pretty much stole and reskinned the plot from one of the Caiaphas Cain novels (and added some cultists) for an upcoming Only War campaign.

Which novel?

Death or Glory, I think? Whichever one has Cain and Jurgen crash land and trek across the desert.

The Empire State building.

Reworked the interior a bit, but it worked well as the location of hositle take over by a gang of misfits/gangsters looking to make a name for themselves in order to demand part of the providence be given to them to rule/live as they see fit.

Not going to lie, user. You're doing something very similar to what I've wanted to do. Which is have an Only War campaign with the players as FNGs in the 597th, getting sucked into shenanigans involving the beloved Commissar.
Emperor be with you.

adeptus mechanicus for a near human race

For a Dungeonworld game, I played Ranger Gord from the Red Green show (well, the even-more exaggerated animated version)
youtu.be/vJ-ch42vK1I

At the height of pannenkoek2012 becoming a meme, I wanted to have a session with a friendly giant spider in it
But I didn't have time to draw a portrait for it or even name it, so I lazily used the Mario 64 Scuttlebug instead thinking the players would laugh it off
It started following them around, and every time they started memespurting in-character I'd mention it scuttling across the room, or that they noticed it floating in midair staring at them or somesuch

Hundreds of "an x is an x, you can't say it's only half" references from said players later, I started dropping hints that it was actually connected to parallel universes somehow
Of course they didn't bother pursuing this because I was just using it to bully them
But very late in that campaign one PC died due to the player and myself both overlooking a rule where the attack that killed him should've been illegal, so instead of punishing him for it I had the Scuttlebug scuttle out in the next session and "but first, we need to talk about parallel universes" at them in a long-winded description about how it was actually a PU version of the PC that died due to an interdimensional freak accident, bring him back unharmed, and scuttle away

Somehow that wasn't the MOST blatant reference in that campaign that one goes to when Lord Kek himself showed up, but it was probably the one I had the most fun with

I've used the Dak and Daxter Eco (the energy of the world) in my D&D game.
Green Eco was life and healing energy, Blue Eco was speed and electricity, Red Eco was fire, etc.
There were even elven sages who mastered each one.
I don't know for sure if anyone got the reference. If they did they never said anything.

>Red Eco was fire
Red eco was physical strength, you fucking metalhead. Yello eco was fire.
Still that's pretty dope.

Japanese goblin!
youtube.com/watch?v=Tc8iu0XFUQc

I stole the whole plot of The Name of the Rose and some of the character names and used it in a game of Dark Heresy.

Croup and Vandemar from Neverwhere.

Umberto Eco is too good for 40K. Shame.

It was an excellent couple of sessions tho. I'll use Fred Vargas next time.

This is "WE ARE JAPANESE GOBLIN" isn't it...
>clicks
Knew it...
youtube.com/watch?v=2wb5fvWptS0

I stole Rurouni Kenshin's opponents, in order, for a Not-Japan fantasy game. I got up to Raijuta before my group caught on.