dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/screaming-flames/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

OoA paladin 6/Lore Bard 14
How good/bad is it and what are some pretty decent bard spells to grab other than Vicious Mockery?

Uh... why, though? Just for the aura?

Yes

>tfw no time to play or DM anymore

How would I go about building a magekiller like the old Paladin Inquisitor kit? I guess Ancients might work, but you don't get Counterspell that way.
Maybe EK/Abjurer or Palabard to pump up my Counterspell and Dispels? Any feats or anything besides Mage Slayer and maybe Sentinel?

Shadow Monk for that teleport, stun combo

In a setting with no multiclassing allowed (Dumb I know)

Which caster is the best blaster?
Which is the best controller?
Which is the best buffer?

Wizard

/5eg/ I require assistance. I'm running a campaign set in a post-sundering high magic society, where almost everyone is squabbling over pieces of ancient technology and magic. According to my players, it sounds very similar in set up to Fallout: New Vegas. I'm totally on board with this idea and I want to expand on it, since my players seem to also like the concept.

However, I've never played the game myself. Anyone have ideas on what to borrow from the setting to give nods and preserve the feeling of the game?

You are autistic if you can't differentiate between the intent and how it actually works.

How are you this fucking illiterate?
Page 84 of the DMG.
"You can use the xp values of monsters and other opponents in an adventure as a guideline for how the party is likely to progress.

Use the adventuring day xp table to estimate how much xp that character is expected to earn in a day. This provides a rough estimate of the adjusted xp value for encounters the party can handle before the characters will need to take a long rest. "

Read pg 84, modifying encounter difficulties.

Are you literally a blithering retard?

If you're going Paladin 6 you might as well go Paladin 7 for Ancients' spell resistance.

>Toa Leaks
>no pdf
WHy even live

>Which caster is the best blaster?
Sorc before 10th level, then wizard. Light cleric is also good

>Which is the best controller?
Wizard

>Which is the best buffer?
Bard or Wizard

>best blaster
Sorcerer
>best controller
Wizard
>best buffer
Sorcerer

But you have to weigh spell resistance versus magical secrets at Bard 14

>implying you'll ever get to that level

Shadowmonks can only teleport in darkness though, can't they? And they can only cast darkness like once a long rest.

>he thinks he's going to reach 20th level
Hehehehehe

Are warlocks viable or do I have to play a wizard if I want to shoot stuff from my hands?

I'm sorry user, but no one reads the DMG, not even chapter 8

>You gain the ability to step from one shadow into another. When you are in dim light or darkness, as a bonus action you can teleport up to 60 feet to an unoccupied space you can see that is also in dim light or darkness. You then have advantage on the first melee attack you make before the end of the turn.

limited to jumping to the shadows, but you can do it at will as a bonus action

I've played in two campaigns that went to level 20 and a few others that have gone to higher levels. I had just assumed if the poster in question specified his levels in the way they had 6+14 that the campaign would go to higher levels.

Is it really that uncommon to get to level 20 Veeky Forums?

It's good, you might not shine personally as much as a Pal2 but auras are awesome for your party.
Obviously Magical Secrets gives you a ton of good choices but Faerie Fire, Hold Person, Hypnotic Pattern, and Animate Objects are standouts IMO.

Alright let's weigh them

>spell resistance in 1 level
vs.
>Magical Secrets in 14 levels if the campaign doesn't end at level 10-13

That spell resistance is going to be working for you for most of your character's life. The magical secrets do nothing for you until the last 5% of your character's life if you even get there.

Who do you play with?

For me it's all AL games at my LGS.
There's a con coming up (local) and I don't even have a tier 2 character on hand, so I have to make one.

I assume if you're playing regularly with friends it's probably easier to get higher levels

>Is it really that uncommon to get to level 20 Veeky Forums?
Most people don't even go beyond 8th level

That's a good point but I'm looking for the flavor of the old kit too, heavy armor and shutting down casting, not just casters.

You should play the game, because it's amazing and still holds up today.
A good thing to include from FNV is factions that have completely different goals from everyone else. Say everyone wants resources and ancient tech? These guys want build a rocket and go to the moon. Or maybe stockpile weapons in preparation for a war.
Even those factions that squabble over the technology should feel distinct. One might want it to take over the world with technological supremacy, while another wants to gain knowledge so as to restore what was lost, and a third faction trusts no one and wants to hide all the ancient tech so that it can never be used one way or another.

Wotc released a poll in where it was stated that the average game doesn't pass 11th level. So yes, reaching 20th level is pretty rare. I've been playing D&D for 16 years and never reached 20th level not even in 4e that has 30th level.

If UA is allowed Ranger (Revised) Monster Slayer

>I assume if you're playing regularly with friends it's probably easier to get higher levels

This is the case. Usually our group goes by milestones and we get a level up at the end of every major arc/dangerous dungeon. It makes leveling up occur every two or 3 sessions at most, sometimes two back-to-back sessions.

Adventurer's League a shit in my experience. It's all hyperventilating unwashed meeks and occasionally a horrendously fat or low self esteem woman there every time I bothered showing up. DM's were swell though.

Focus on a central tension and how that central tension affects politics of the region. That is easily the biggest appeal of Fallout: New Vegas' writing.

"guideline for how the party is likely to progress" is incredibly different from "guideline on adjudicating combat difficulty." It says the "guidelines" apply to entire adventuring days, not individual encounters. You're citing something that has nothing to do with the argument at hand.
And I still don't understand why you can't have this conversation without resorting to name calling. I'm not sure what you hope to gain from it.

The major factions in NV are:
NCR: Democratic society that is based out of California (New California Republic) they are moving in on the Mojave, place all this happens, to expand their reach and gain access to more recourses and the Hoover Dam.
They're draw backs are corruption since they are effectively ruled by Brahmin Barrons and are bleeding themselves dry trying to claim the Mojave. They took pre-war ideals and didn't learn from the mistakes.

House: A pre-war genius who owned Robco, iirc, and set up on the strip to protect it since he got inside info that the bombs were going to drop. He is the reason the region was mostly untouched and has a vision of bringing it back to it's former glory, restarting industry and eventually leaving Earth for a new home that isn't fucked. He forced three tribes to shape up and play dress up as the Omertas, White Glove Society and The Tops.
His drawbacks are he is solely focused on The Strip and his dream, if you aren't useful to him he doesn't care. He is the one bleeding the NCR dry for his dream and rules with authority and might through his robots.
The Legion: led by a man calling himself Caesar, he styles the Legion off ancient Rome ruling with absolute authority. The Legion is conquered tribes held together with fanatic devotion to Caesar. His goal is to collapse the NCR due to it's corruption, with the way the Legion is setup it will also collapse having no more enemies to conquer which is how it survives. From this he hopes humanity will be united and work together by coming from common ground.
His drawbacks are(to some) condoning slavery on the war front, brutal tactics including crucifixions, dirty bombs and women being nothing more than breeding stock.
Cont.

Yeah AL is the dredges. But it's nice meeting new people. Also if you don't have people to play with it's the only option.

Warlocks are viable, but all you will be able to do effectively is shoot stuff from your hands.

Anons, I want to convert the spell Screaming Flames from Pathfinder to 5e: can I get any advice?

d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/screaming-flames/

Looking at the above link, I was thinking make it a 3rd level Wizard/Warlock spell that creates a Line of Fire and Psychic damage. Sound like a good basis to you guys?

Warlocks shoot stuff from their hands better than anybody. That's pretty much all they do in combat.
They're full of non-combat utility, though.

The last faction is Yes Man, a modified robot of Mr.House's that unquestioningly obeys and gives any advice. He plots out the best course of action and how to execute it to anyone who asks. This is the anarchy/you rule option. You cut out the major players and seize control yourself.
The drawbacks are it doesn't end well in the long run since you are mortal, cause instability as it becomes a free for all.

The focus is over the Hoover Dam, the Legion wants to seize it as a means to break the NCR's growing hold over the region, the NCR wants it's for the energy and to leverage against House, until you show up, House wants it because it is what fuels his city and the underground bunker you can decide to help him reclaim that upgrades his army and produces more. The Legion has made one attempt at taking the Dam and nearly succeeded but the NCR booby trapped the ruins of a city and blew the whole thing up to scatter the Legion's forces. You come in as the tension is coming to a head and the second fight for the Hoover Dam is fast approaching.

This is a quick summary so any questions for more detail to help let me know.

But I'm still a liar right, severe autist?
All of that information is to help inform combat encounters and what the PCs will be facing and it's still being used to adjuicate combat encounters, glad to see it's being conveniently ignored.
Read modifying encounter difficulties and then fun combat encounters, I'll wait.

If you weren't a blithering illiterate retard, even read the challenge rating box.

Hey tg, Monks get a proficiency with an instrument, but don't get performance as a skill.
So when I tell the DM that I play my flute, what should I roll?
Charisma+Proficiency Bonus because I'm using the instrument?
Do I forgo rolling because it's nothing spectacular?
(Pic somewhat related)

Best all around Rogue subclass?

Whatever you find fun.

good: thief, swashbuckler
avoid: mastermind, assassin

You ever used metallic dragons in your campaigns?

"To start with, remember that these are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Challenge ratings and XP budgets are tools to help DMs judge the difficulty of a combat encounter or an overall adventure. But there are so many variables involved in D&D that it's impossible to perfectly balance everything. Experienced DMs often run their campaigns simply by eyeballing difficulty, or by placing creatures and threats based solely on the needs of the setting or adventure.

In other words, treat this like any other piece of DMing advice we offer. Use it if it improves your game. Ignore it if it gets in the way.

Challenge Rating:A monster's challenge rating is a guide to its overall power. As a general rule, monsters with a CR higher than a party's level pose a significant threat. They might have abilities that easily outclass the characters, or so many hit points that they can wear the characters down even in a straightforward battle.

Unless you're looking to create an intentionally difficult—or even deadly—encounter, it's best to focus on creatures with a challenge rating less than or equal to the average level of the characters in the party."

You are severely autistic if you only stick to one source.

Silver dragons disguised as people, living curiously among them, is favorite cliche.

wrong

They're all pretty good at what they do. Swashbuckler is widely considered the most consistently good but they all have their moments where they shine.

Some months back I had to miss a session, but basically our DM allowed Tunnel Fighter at our game (we had talked about it before, we all agreed it's fucking retarded) and let our PAM Sentinel Battlemaster replace their previous style for... well, I've got no actual clue. Just because, I guess.

I've been rocking a Dueling SnB Paladin, and while I do think that fighting style's very good, our campaign has long since drifted into the territory of ''shamelessly high-power'' so the +2 to damage rolls doesn't feel as relevant these days..
I don't like asking for handouts and generally like to stick to my choices as a player, but finding an use for BAs whenever they're not used sounds pretty fun: the idea behind Tunnel Fighter (a la 3.e's Defensive Stance) is fucking cool.

Should I just ask my DM to let me change the damn thing? Coming off as a powergaming faggot is something I wish to avoid, but it shouldn't be particularly abusable on this character anyway.

>I've played in two campaigns that went to level 20 and a few others that have gone to higher levels
No you haven't, you liar.

>flute
why didn't you pick up the shakashuri

Can someone please explain to me like you would a complete retard how Crossbow Expert is supposed to function?

What source is that?

If I'm a monk and I take Net as a Kensai weapon, does it inherit my martial arts damage? Does it still retain the "one attack, period" rule?

Building Adventures off the D&D site, by Mike Mearls.

I think it's supposed to be like that though. Duel drops off but is really strong early.
Doesn't seem like a big deal as you get a 2nd style later

You can't take Net as a Kensai weapon.

Why not?

nvm read it more thoroughly.

>wield a Hand Crossbow
>use your Attack Action with it
>then use a Bonus Action to make a single attack with that same Hand Crossbow
>all modifiers apply as normal, unlike two-weapon fighting

You can use ranged attacks up close
You can attack multiple times with a crossbow on a single action if you have extra attacks from something (otherwise crossbows don't allow you to use them)

if you attack with a one handed weapon, you can shoot a hand crossbow you're holding (this uses dex modifiers like normal). Not sure if it counts if you shoot the hand crossbow, then try to shoot the same crossbow again.

not him but what do you seek to gain from it? Making it a ki-enforced net eventually?

Why couldn't dual wielder have been something like this?

I was just thinking it would be funny to kill someone with a net.

>gm is letting my pet take a feat instead of ASI
Thinking about going brawny so my pet can be a grapple bot

>You get a second style later
Only as a Champion, other user said he is a Paladin.

I can appreciate that.

To complement your explanation, it does count

Because fuck gay ass dual wielding elves

>Not sure if it counts if you shoot the hand crossbow, then try to shoot the same crossbow again.

Depends on how the DM handles loading. Some have players reload the crossbow after every shot (would count) but others have players reload prior to every shot (wouldn't count).

GWM monkey when

>Depends on how the DM handles loading
RAW it doesn't. You can use the bonus action to attack with it again, period.

Sounds like you should play a gnome

I recently dug into Volo's guide for some fun stuff to use. I decided to go with a Bodak for my level 6 party and it nearly wiped the floor with them, that thing is busted. I used a Catoblepas the previous level as a decent 'set piece' monster and it wasn't nearly as nasty.

pdf of ToA when?

Magic initiate ape when?

Yeah, what the other duder said in about styles.
I mean, it's obvious flat damage increases taper off over time, but basically what I meant for ''high-power'' was giving everyone a free feat and letting the Evoker dualcast a maximized fireball on top of another fireball because Evocation sucks dick.
It's pants-on-head retarded, but but we're having fun. Just that Dueling doesn't feel like a good choice when compared against the other shit we have, like a Flametongue.

It's always comfy to come into these threads and see that min-max fags still abound.
Modern d20 is shit, and deep down you all know this

Can we talk about how often this occurs? Is it campaign fatigue? Is it "spells getting out of control so the setting is becoming contrived and wacky" or is it nothing really cool happens after the power spike of level 6 and leveling becomes slow and boring so we should just play epic 6?

Well that doesn't fucking matter because Crossbow Expert lets you ignore Loading anyway

How about you start being less of a severe autist, you literal retard.

Sharpshooter feat.

I think in most cases real life happens and drags enough people out of a game that the players and/or DM feel it's better to just start a new campaign rather than trying to make due with characters of the players that can stick around

stay mad

Speaking of pretending to be retarded, how does everyone handle mental illness, cripples, etc in their worlds? Do you have haunted mental wards? Who pays for this shit? How do you tell the difference between a brain damaged individual and that shitty warlock speaking on tongues?

The bodak is an extremely terrifying monster, I really like it. How close did it come to annihilating them?
The catoblepas isn't nearly up to par.

I think most people don't deal with issues like that.

Stay having no friends.

You still have to physically load the crossbow somehow. You aren't going to get away with using a shield and crossbow because of that feat.

>Not having haunted mental wards
>No cripples after war

y tho?

That'll be cool, that severe retard notwithstanding. We've been using the madness rules. Because we can't access medical treatment or spell cures, the effects have been lingering and will only get more severe.

I plan on messing with a hospital run by mindflayers or necromancers. Or both. Why the fuck not. On the whole the world is all good and proper and humane about this sort of shit, but there's always going to be a bad egg taking advantage of it. We're all adults and can talk about what we're ok with doing, and what to avoid.

The party knows I have zero qualms crippling their characters if it's a proper consequence to their actions, and asked them to very clearly state how ok they are with those sort of things. It's a world of magic and other fuckery, they can always go get some living metal replacement, grow a new arm, have a mass of plant matter instead of a full leg. Maybe they'll try to find someone to polymorph them.

In my experience, it can be due to a few issues

>Low level PC being able to one or two shot enemies of equal power and when getting to higher levels, combat takes longer.
>PCs slowly become gods with the ability to destroy a town, yet DMs put obstacles in their way when PCs try and talk to the local theives king
>Martial players getting annoyed that spellcasters grow exponentially over time.
>DMs not providing enough enemy variance between adventure arcs
>One or two players skills obviously overshadow other players during the campaign
>DMs only allowing PCs to level up narratively instead of experience gained forces players to rush through roleplaying sections to get to the endzone of an arc
>Players having unreasonable expectations on how a campaign should go and what their character can actually do.

No you can't.

>Drawing the ammunition from a quiver, case, or other container is part of the attack
>When you use the Attack action and attack with a onehanded weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a loaded hand crossbow you are holding.

The latter case is RAW, but most DMs are pretty lenient and don't care.

I mean, in renaissance settings I imagine most people like that would be shunned, homeless or dead. It's really a potential downer on a high fantasy game.

Did it really?

It's also important to note that literally any significant shadow cast in broad daylight will count as "Dim Light"
Basically, if you can pull of the equivalent of three-quarters cover vs the sun at any point, you can warp to/from that spot.

>Play druid
>Literally rip off all limbs
>replace arms with rust monster arms
>replace legs with 8 octopus tentacles so that I can't be tripped and have 7 vaginas[/spoilers]

It'll be like a Dark Souls/Bloodborne game.