Starfinder General /sfg/

Starfinder General /sfg/

Drift edition: What kind of monstrosities do you expect to come across in the Drift? Will you try to tame them?

/sfg/ unified link repository: pastebin.com/BBVzM7tm
Cheatsheet: paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lk2n?Starfinder-Cheat-Sheet
FAQ: paizo.com/starfinder/faq

Old Thread:

Friendly reminder that the average Human woman is having at least four children. Is your PC going to do her part to increase the population?

Every adventure through the drift better be pic related or I'm walking.

>Is your PC going to do her part to increase the population?
No, because zhe is doing something far more important.

Zhe is doing zher part to Queer Up Starfinder.

Men must do their part inside the woman too.

Purple eyes are a canonical hallmark feature of Azlanti blood, which means an adorable redhead with rich purple eyes and a superiority complex two sizes too large for her short figure is totally allowed within the rules.

>Not being born in the vats

>Wanting to be a filthy goo-back

You have to go back.

I hope you enjoy dying young due to your flawed genome.

How's that crusade going, Jade Falcon? Man, did Ghost Bear and Wolf make you look bad at Tukayyid.

Yeah because natural evolution instead of too much genetic engineering is totally the way to extinction. Just look at the Asgard!

... Oh wait.

The Asgard are just proof of why redundant backups are important. Basic data security would have saved their entire species.

>Pure Azlanti stock
>Flawed

>implying eugenics is not the way of the future

Ladies, ladies! Why tamper with genetic code when you've got magical serums that can do it for you?

>Pure Azlanti stock
>Blue eyes
I don't think you'd even fool a retarded dock worker with that line.

Because your secondary sexual characteristics should involve your fighter mode.

I dunno, the lack of cow tits makes it hard for me to get it up to Starfinder. Would donating genetic material to lesbians be enough?

>the lack of cow tits makes it hard for me to get it up to Starfinder

What makes you think there's a lack of fat-chested women?

>Zhe is doing zher part to Queer Up Starfinder.
I see you have seen that thread, too.

That thread really set the tone for Starfinder, considering it came out right when Starfinder did.

user, I want you to understand something.

When people look for Sci-fi action-girl art, they'll probably be looking at a lot of Samus Aran, who is a blonde with fat, perky tits. They will be using that art extensively, meaning most women will have fat, perky tits.

Mine would donate some eggs before settling down and starting a family after her adventuring career, the donated ones are basically in case she dies first.

Half the system flatly doesn't even work, and all they cared about was "how much more LGBT could it be"

They pander to their vocal base. What do you expect?

Frasier in that thread even outright states that it likes when things are 'analogous' and wants to represent the "real-world experience of trans people"

I gotta be honest, is there much of a challenge when you can just go to space 7-Eleven and buy a drink that does the change?

Feels like I'm playing with a power famer that spent all their money on guns and armor and just throws out 'woe is me' so someone else can spend the money

Yes obviously people with dysphoria must suffer in games as some of them do in real life or other people that aren't them won't learn some sort of lesson.

I.... what?

That's kinda what makes their whole thread so... cyclical. Some people think "but it's the future, you can go to kwik-e-space and down the solution with a bag of chips". These are probably either reasonable folks or actual 'trans' people, who I would imagine would love to be able to just be done with it and never have to deal with any of the shit they're said to deal with ever again.

I mean, I may not know how they feel precisely but I do know "isn't a terrible chore to clean" is a far happier choice than "everything sticks, prepare your angle-grinder for this bitch" when buying a new frying pan.

I bought a new frying pan today okay?

And then there's the other bunch like 'Crystal'. They're arguing that if it's not exactly as terrible and difficult to fix in-game as what they claim it to be in real life, it's somehow wrong or offensive. Because then, something? Apparently crystal didn't think the serum should be cheap.

Personally I think if it were easy and and the solution *not* as likely to cause suicide as keeping your original boyparts, people like Crystal would be out of a job, is what.

>is there much of a challenge when you can just go to space 7-Eleven and buy a drink that does the change?

Many of the people in that thread were dismissive of the Elixir, saying it "cheapened" the experience and "nobody should be forced to become what they do not feel like becoming."

In other words, a Transgender woman could and should just stay in the body of a man, because "that's her choice."

>Owen decided we should have the Serum in Starfinder at a cheap price, and came to me about rewording it to be less problematic.

well i feel that you are a transphobic hater, and that's a FACT

Do you mean user hates transphobes, or is transphobic and a hater, or are you referencing that "when I say an opinion, it becomes a fact" meme?

Problimatic? It's an escapist game, easy solutions are part of that!

It should just require reversing the polarity of his deflector dick and that's the end of it. No struggle, no putting victimhood on a pedestal, problem solved, that's it that's all.

Let's also point out another thing.

Starfinder is a game about space murderhobos. Mind control, murder, political upheaval, and jaywalking are just a few of the crimes PCs will be involved in.

If a player/character is worried about gender dysphoria at that point, they are a psychopath.

That does aptly describe much of the target audience.

Alright Veeky Forums. How would you stat the races from pic related for Starfinder?

Honest question.
What the heck are the kasatha rocking under those scarves and gas-masks?

I am a little sad that the Starfinder base book doesn't have sapient plant humanoids.

The skeleton doesn't look that unusual, so probably just a mouth.

I know, that's incredibly disappointing. But that's probably all it is.

>I am a little sad that the Starfinder base book doesn't have sapient plant humanoids.
Why? Were you eager to see what kind of perverse sexual practices or bizarre gender dynamics Paizo would include in plants?

>I am a little sad that the Starfinder base book doesn't have sapient plant humanoids.

I'm betting they'll be in come the Alien Archive.

>you pulled out and sprayed it all over her belly so she got pregnant, because it just permeates through her pores and inseminates her while down there she could just have eaten it

It's primarily the reason I'm asking for stats. Some of the base races are pretty easy.
Humans: As Humans.
Apex: +2 Str & Int, -2 Cha
Avians: +2 Dex & Wis, -2 Con (basically same as Tengu in most respects)
Novakids: +2 Dex & Cha, -2 Wis

The rest I have difficulty with.

Wouldn't plants be Str/Dex, -Int?

Maybe. The hit to int is a no brainer, but afaik there's not a lot to suggest (at least from looks alone) any significant bonus to strength or dexterity aside from their fervent dedication to hunting meat.

Are there no rules for dual wielding?

I've read through a couple times but couldnt find anything.

You don't get extra attacks for holding an extra weapon.

this is literally everything for dual wielding.

> Sex.
> Sex never changes.

Where are her legs though?

>this guy, not into stump fetish, lulz

Waggling down. you can see the dress outlining them just before the guy's left (on right side of pic) arm, so arguably the lower legs and the feet are dangling in the poofy skirt.

I would like to have an abberrant race and outsiders to fill the lovecraftian niche

Clearly you haven't read the AP.
It's filled with rejects that didn't make the cut for Mythos monsters and were instead recycled into aliens.

I actually havn't so my interest is peaked slightly. I'm thinking an idea for an aberrant race to be symbiotes who join with other aliens sort of like Jadzaya Dax from Star Trek.

What's the basics of what these mythos style aliens are like?

Oh my god, I want to princess carry our party members now!

>Not wanting to be giant sized so all of the team members can ride in your arms and on your shoulders

It's like you don't even want to be a !Zentradi

>6

Flying one of these?

Personally perfer something like this.

>reduce the penalty by 1 without increasing the number of attacks
>reduce the penalty by a whole fucking /1/ point if you spend a feat and the cash to buy two weapons

jeebus crust you're better off taking weapon focus, I thought that feat was at least reducing it by 2, what the fuck? Who thought this was okay?
What would you even give dual wielding, if not more attacks, anyway?

Is there any particular reason why going Themeless is considered a poor choice? I thought the ability to choose your +1 stat and choose your class skill would be at least decent if you don't like the given options.

You dirty minmaxer, play a character already!

Maybe a little, now that you mention it.
But mostly for that sweet sweet diversity.

Themeless lets you pick your skill and stat, yes, but let's consider what it gives you overall. In exchange for freedom of choice, you get a resolve point, a 1/day reroll, and a 1/day +2. Every predefined theme gives you a class skill, or a bonus if you already had it as one. They don't usually give you rerolls, but they give you thematic abilities - usually ones that give you ways to circumvent problems. The Icon can find helpful fans very easily, the Mercenary doesn't even have to roll to Aid Another if they can attempt it at all, the Outlaw can get around logistical problems if those start coming up, and so on.

I'm not sure Themeless is outright weaker. But it doesn't really expand your options once you've made your choices. It just gives you numbers.

Themeless does manage to dodge the assumption that all adventurer PCs are massively obsessed with something.

Can my Kitsune be Themeless to get all the bonuses, but still have all the fans, attention, and adoration of the Icon theme?

That's an interesting approach. Trying to get everything at once with none of the downsides. I think I know something that would work out better, though. Have you considered making them a rug instead?

>get everything at once with none of the downsides.
I like to think that it gives my character depth.

Icon theme means you put into the time and effort to become one. Got fit, learned videography and editing, publicized yourself and networked, you worked for it and now you can start reaping the rewards.

Anything else just feels like the people who have talent but didn't try/do the work necessary.

What would it be like to live/travel inside a giant spaceship plant person?

They would be very protective and parental. The minds and souls of the ship are gestalts formed from the willing union of dying plant people who's soul are joined to a Root Treet that becomes the basis for the ship. while they join their organic components to regular ship components they have the added ability to subsist on sunlight and water so even if their mechanical systems fail their life support can endure for quite a while.

Over time, the gestalt mind begins to take on a specific personality all of it's own, sometimes paternal, sometimes maternal give or take the composition of souls that form it and adding a new soul into it will cause a further change still.

Hey I'm gonna DM a starfinder campaign and I want to play a character without being useful, like a weak sidekick or a comic relief.
Would that be annoying, if not any ideas for the character ?

Is it wrong that I actually want to do this? The entire party will be my smol friends

I forget to say that this character would come originaly from a gang, but once the PCs destroyed the gang he ask for mercy and to join the crew

>NPC that occasionally shows up and does exposition?
No problem
>NPC that tags along, makes skill checks, joins combat
This is bad

Ok so my npc can't fight but what is supposed to be his personnality ?
I'd like him to be wacky

Honestly even with this underpowered comic relief shit you're potentially stealing a role from one of the PCs.

I need someone to explain the vilain's goal.
And I like to my NPCs to be weirdos, I'm going for a LISA the painful vibe so bizarre NPCs are a must

>Will this be good u guise?
>No it wont user, don't do it
>I'll do it anyway
Why bother bringing it up here user? If you just wanted to discuss how interesting your DMPC is going to be then cut to the chase and discuss him.

Or better yet, DON'T.
Because honestly we do not give a fuck about you or your shitty DMPC if you are going to ignore our good advice.
If you need an NPC to explain the plot then you did a shitty job as a DM, because the story/adventure should have enough clues or scenes for players to figure shit out on their own.

No need to be rude, I'll ditch the sidekick I'm very new at DMing so that's why I ask for tips

>keeping it covered at all times in public except around the closest of people.

lets be real it's probably a dick, and since dicks dont have bones it fits with

It's actually just classic traditionalism, the Kasatha came from a desert world where covering your face might be a good idea, and over time they made the realization that hey, if you're covering your poop hole, why aren't you covering the hole that makes the poopoo?

WHERE THE FUCK ARE SOME PRE-MADE MONSTERS AND NPCS YOU LAZY FUCKS?

What music is your group listening to while you play? Not gonna lie, we usually listen to fantasy music for pathfinder/d&d, and im super excited about branching out and giving the players more freedom in what to put on the ships stereo..

What is your parties go to music/time peroid/genre?

Gradius in Classic

There was no time for that, since they absolutely had to have this ready for sale at GenCon. Fortunately, all your bestiary needs will be met in October for reasonable PDF and hardcover prices. Until then, rules have been provided for conversion from Pathfinder. Yes, the Pathfinder bestiary was designed with a completely different approach to balance, but there are rules for this, so it should be fine. Really.

What type of Giant would you be?

Would you scour Macross Frontier and play as a Giant Shirren who is really into pop-music?

What about a Large Plantfolk? Helps cut down on the food needs if you mostly need sunlight and can have a tree house installed for the Ysoki in your party.

So how is this game? I'm thinking about running it for my buddies.

I am worried slightly though, what's with the shitposting about gender politics? Does the game have some weird tranny system or someshit?

I could look past it if it isn't too overt, but my buddies and I are all pretty much /pol/acks so they'll give me endless shit if it's too nutty.

Large Plantfolk is an interesting idea. I was thinking for re-envisioning the sarcean (whatever the hell they are called) that live in the Diaspora and just say they are giants who have to use power armor if they want to move around in normal gravity so in most places they wear their power armor suits for basic survival needs

If you don't treat this game's music like Guardians of the Galaxy, you're doing it wrong

>tfw my players blew up a defensive Orbital station singing along to 'Dancing in the Moonlight'

It's mostly to do with fluff for two of the races: Lashunta can "choose" which of two subraces they can become, when the subraces were gender-specific in Pathfinder. Androids are also noted to sometimes choose a gender identity in contrast to their chassis.

The Lashunta are a core race written as an allegory for transgender people, the Serum of Sex Change exists and is a thing, Androids can explicitly be genderfluid, and one of the first major threads on the Paizo forums was someone rating the book on its queer inclusivity factor titled "Let's Queer Up Starfinder!"

A lot of this isn't actually critical to the experience, but shitposting has never cared about that. Even so, given that little spoiler there, there's a decent chance you'll get endless shit for it anyway.

well if it's just a feature on a robot and one special snowflake race I think they can handle it like adults, they'll still probably give me shit over it though, but I've been looking for a scifi rpg that isn't Shadowrun or the 40k RPGs for a while now, as we've beaten half a dozen campaigns with both of those systems.

The race isnt even that bad unless you knew them in pathfinder. It used to be "males are stocky and gruff, females are lean and charasmatic"

Now its: "both males and females choose whether to be stocky and gruff, or lean and charasmatic"

It is only a problem in comparison

The book feels a bit heavy-handed, since stuff like this never comes up in star wars and the closest it sorta-may-have in star trek was a small handful of scenes over multiple movies and series with shapeshifters.

Most people never even think about stuff like this since it's so rare - as loud as it is on the internet - but just kinda understand that it's the future so shit like that can probably be done, but they'll be thinking in terms of spies and the such.

So it is a bit blatant to have bits in a book about how choosing one's 'gender' is not only a thing but somehow also means something other than 'changing what your organs are' or about how people should learn what it's like to be something else and how important potions of sex-change are.

But, though it feels heavy-handed, it IS only a few small sentences here and there that you can for the most part ignore.

And ignore it you will because you're going to come across mechanical sections that make the entire game grind to a screeching halt as everyone looks at the numbers and does pic related.

I have some questions for my players that I can't answer because english isn't our first language and I have a hard time explaining characters (and the rules for them)
>What's the character that's the closest to an inquisitor ? How to play him ?
>Easiest way to play a comtemplative for a first player ?
>Why is the skelington so broken ? If not please explain why

Not that bad from that perspective. I'd argue the Lashunta are still a pretty terrible race, but that's mostly because the CRB is too focused on how everyone loves them and they're great. Shirren are a more interesting psychic race, and elves could already cover both the nature bond and the air of superiority and actually be interesting while doing it.

They forgot the part where they make the race interesting outside the allegory.

>elves could already cover both the nature bond and the air of superiority and actually be interesting while doing it.
Too bad they're worse at everything than Androids are, mechanically.