Selling Truffles

I doubt this will get any responses, this board is full of Crypto only, but here goes.

I have a buddy in Kosovo that has a dog that finds black/white truffles, and is able to offer it at $500 a pound for black. What are the chances that I am able to become the source for truffles in my metropolitan area? I live in a top 5 city in the USA, and would like any help with getting this going.

If there is any good advice I will gladly send you some crypto of your choice, just leave your Email so I can keep hold of it until this all goes down.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-sJ6IJZJhUU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Also like to note that if I buy in bulk it'll be cheaper, and black truffles go for about $90 an ounce.

Sounds nice.

Cool i liked kosovo. Been really drunk there.
Go introduce yourself to local top tier chefs. They will buy under the table if you dont come across as a complete autist. Dress nice. Dont spagettie. Good luck. Bring product.

I believe chefs and purchasers in general don't necassarily need one consistent 'source'. I imagine there's a pool of people that sell these. They're rare and store well, so you can't really have "too much".

Anyhow, these things are worth a lot, so I'd go for it. There's a lot of videos on YouTube about starting your own mushroom business.

>t. mycologist

Truffles are difficult to mine.

You usually need a dog or a pig to find a block

i'm not leaving my e-mail but here's some free advice that helped my own business venture:

- marketing is massive. you need to reach out to small local shops, farmer's markets, any sort of independent business you can establish a personal relationship with.

- monopolize your market. sell the best quality, and have a consistent supply. demand will increase, make sure you can keep up.

- do research on the truffle market. every niche has a market and has big players. find your competition and get some solid branding going. look into an LLC to make it legit.

- CONSISTENCY! this is the big one. if you keep marketing, branding, expanding, and just doing, you will have a successful business.

it will be hard, but don't give up user. hard work pays off, and if you got something good going here, capitalize on it.

good luck!

You'll probably have to prove you can maintain a supply/provide samples

>I live in a top 5 city
>What are the chances that I am able to become the source for truffles in my metropolitan area?
Well it obviously depends on how you stack up to the competition price/quality wise dummy. We need more information here.

In a top 5 city, any restaurant that wants truffles already has them

Another trufflecoin shill. Fucking pajeet

If you can garner a consistent supply of high-quality truffles, I'd go for it. You'll have to market yourself a bunch though and go to local restaurants. Sell a little bit below market value to gain customers and then slowly raise prices.

>top 8 tips to run a successful business, you won't believe what number 3 is

Don't buy unless you have someone to sell it to immediately and you should be good

kek

Just gonna chime in here once more because I wish you luck.
100% yes most good resturants and even supply stores will buy your shrooms. Always in high demand. Prove your product. Stand by your product. Never lie or try to nickle and dime. Its all on how you come off.
If you act like a criminal then they will not need or want to deal with you. If the deals good, your good, products good, then you can make a lot if money. I used to pick with proffesional chantrellers who sold all theirs to local farmers markets and high end grocery stores. Would sell for $5 - $10 a lb, store sells for $30. Be smart. Everyone involved likes to make money and the best way to do that is good product and a drama free exchange.
You could make millions doing this. If you find you are making thousands a month, form an LLC. Get your food vendors liscence. Invest earnings in KO or PG and live off them sweet divys.

t. Drug addict world traveling mushroom hunting investor punk

is it on bittrex?

sell them on the deep web

i'm a licensed truffle hunter an "black" doesn't mean anything.
there at least 7 species of black truffle of varying degrees of quality and with different prices.
If it's tuber aestivum 500$ per pound is a ripoff if it's tuber melanosporum it's good.
(the photo you posted is tuber aestivum or uncinatum btw)

why the fuck are truffles so expensive

Gourmet chefs will easily buy this up from you. The biggest hang up will be getting it through customs/importation if you're bringing them in from Kosovo. I would contact your local port authority and start asking questions. That is if you plan on doing a legitimate business around it.

One dog can't keep up with the future demand.

because looking for them is a royal pain in the ass.
Btw this is without doubt the worst year for truffles in the last decade,prices are sky high and the wuality is subpar.massive drought this summer means the truffles are stunted or not there at all.
To search for truffles you have to wake up at 4 am because the dogs are more cooperative/not yet tired in the morning and depending on where you are searching scoure acres of forest in rough terrain for hours hoping the dog will find a truffle and then carefully extracting it without ruining it and hoping it wasn't already attacked by a particular type of fly that loves to deposit eggs in them(they become full of maggots).
Also to get licensed you have to take a pretty thorough exam and have to pay an annual tax(about 200$ where i live)

why cant they be farmed

>Kosovo
so it's radioactive from the fuckton of du shells right?

they only grow in old oak forests which takes forever to cultivate.

black truffles can be farmed albeit with a lot of work(their mycelium is able to establish a symbiotic relationship only with certain plants and only in a certain type of soil).
Afaik no one has been able to successfully and reliably farm white truffles anywhere in the world.
There is still a lot we don't know about truffles.

fascinating

Kosovo is Serbia. Those truffels belong to the Serbs.

thanks just bought 100k

I know it's hard to believe an Albanian would ever lie, but be careful anyway, OP.

and btw it takes abut 10 years from the start of the
truffle nursery to when the plants(walnut,oak) etc start actually producing truffles.

What's the hashrate for a 180kg swine?

I learned a lot from you today, thanks. May your year be profitable.

You actually know what you're talking about. Care to email me or anything where i can ask you more questions?

Thank you guys, Y'all tried to help and if you leave an address maybe ill throw a small bit of change in it

>Almost 2018
>Not holding an ICO for an ERC-20 token for a d-app that sells truffles on the blockchain

sure you can reach me at
nosnitching at protonmail dot ch

I'll toss 100 bucks worth of your crypto of choice for 100 bucks worth

damn, i had no idea there was such thing as licensed truffle hunters

themoreyouknow.jpg

Just identify high end restaurants and go door to door. Restaurants will always buy good produce for a good price (good price for them).

topkek

Can truffles not be farmed?

Truffles fkin stink
Only consumed by snobs

Wait staff you can get biz advice here?

lets not get crazy. millions? whats the throughput of that slav dog of his? plus shipping. when he ships in bulk it likely will get flagged by customs.

t. hashlets

I'm in the process of setting up a gourmet mushroom farm. Truffles are near impossible to cultivate from what I understand. Best to find a wild spot for it. Goldmine.

black truffles can be farmed if you are willing to wait ~10 years from the start of the farm(and you still need to do everything by the book and be somewhat lucky).
White truffles can't be reliably farmed.
The overall production in the last decade has actually increased because more and more people are searching for them but the production in regions famed for their truffles is rapidly declining because of the massive exploitation.
Where i live you can only search on some days, with a max of 2 dogs per person and there is a fixed quantity of truffles you can take.
it's difficult to enforce the law but if you get caught they absolutely assrape you with yuge fines.

no prob dude, just keep it up and it'll be fine. it's not as hard as you think to run a successful business nowadays, esp with the internet. social media is super powerful, and hipsters love gourmet overpriced bullshit.

ETH: 0x62bc0b2611b6ecf636631e9f89281c762e8e4a59

Hunting truffles is serious business. There's a whole truffle mafia. Be safe user, don't tell too many people about it and keep your dog safe. (yes they will steal it).

>there are dozens of truffle experts on Veeky Forums
>theyre all informative and constructive
You gotta be shitting me.

made me lol

this
>mfw Veeky Forums is full of unironic experts on different topics and ways to make money
>mfw all we do is cry about our last shitcoin dip

Unfortunately this is true to an extent.
In certain places you have to be careful because fellow truffle hunters will leave poisoned baits to try and kill you dogs,slash your tires if you leave a dog cage in your car near the trail leading into the woods etc or straight up shoot you(it doesn't happen often obviously but still...it's an extremely competitive line of work and you have to be careful)

Truffles store well? Lol, what world do you live in?

Former executive chef here. You show up with good truffles in hand on a Thursday or Friday it will not take too many quality restaurants to be empty handed. A lot of times we are just coming up with our specials we don't even know we want it til it walks in the door and we will build around it

>A lot of times we are just coming up with our specials we don't even know we want it til it walks in the door and we will build around it
Sounds fun
Did you like being a chef?

I liked the creative process.I didn't have the best team so I was a complete asshole during service. But if I didn't have my sons would probably still be in it

Google and Wikipedia are strong tools

>CONSISTENCY! this is the big one. if you keep marketing, branding, expanding, and just doing, you will have a successful business.

This is the most important tip here. This has never failed me in my career as a businessman. Boys give up, Men carry on.

proof

Not all of us are neets and pajeets. A lot of us run our own businesses.

Thursday or Friday is best you say? What time is a good time to stop by? And do I literally walk in, dressed business casual, with a handful of truffles and tell them about how I can give them a lower price?

Pretty cool OP, good luck.

I own a business myself.

If you can get the truffles here, and they are of good quality, I see no reason why you could not sell them for good money.

You need someone you can trust here in the USA. If they do the work of getting the truffles sold and distributed to the buyers I would cut them in on half the income.

This!!!!

>not buying trufflecoin
Lmao

i'm the real deal.check proof

3 in the afternoon. Just ask the woman upfront for chef. Say hey man I know youre busy but I just got some of these. Don't need to bring a handful. Maybe one. The biggest nicest one. Tell him you got more out in the car. Only mention price if he says he already has a guy. If its a no, no big deal there are plenty of nice restaurants around go to the next.

Also, what city do you live in?

>truffle hunting in old north Italian forests with your dog for a living

Sounds pretty comfy desu

If you days are serious about this read up on this kid. Motherfucker is making millions a year.
youtu.be/-sJ6IJZJhUU

I work as an infosec consultant.
I just like being alone in the wilderness with my dog and the thrill of searching for truffles.

DFW, I have large pool to choose from. Dallas and Fort Worth have high end restaurants.

Plus I know of burger chains like Twisted Root that may buy them to make Truffle Butter, I've seen one that had truffle butter fries.

Few years ago I wanted to start truffle farming with hazlenut in sinbios, my father has about 1000 trees. But I found out it has to be planted together, cant be done with old trees. I just might try this when we plant new trees

Sounds comfy AF assuming it pays something livable.

The chains are most likely using cheap truffle oil from sysco and shit. Only high end will be fresh. Don't be afraid to find some high end places outside city limits and resorts and such that may be neglected. Also don't be afraid to call some of the produce or smaller food distributing companies and try to partner up with them. Most of the really good chefs don't get Every thing from once place like your chains. They got a fish guy, a produce guy, a need guy, etc. A thousand things going on at once they don't always remember to order something special so you are banking on inspiring them,with your product

Lol

that is correct, you have to buy special plants that have been seeded with tuber mycelium(get them form a nursery that has the appropriate lab certificates to guarantee they are in fact healthy and there is enough mycelium)

good thread

it can be very lucrative but it's unpredictable.
You can spend weeks searching and not find a single truffle an then strike gold and find 2 pound in a day.
This year is the worst afaik, i only found 3 truffles in 4 months

he sais no crypto why u mention mycelium

I really appreciate your help my good sir, I will take your advice and run with it. I feel I have come into one of those 1 in a million opportunities and should try my best to make something of it.

what even is a truffle? like a potato or something?

I feel like its gonna work out man

They're like an underground fungus(if you're serious and not pulling the latvian "what is potato")

If you get big and wanna expand I'm in Atlanta area lot of farm to table and stuff around here. Drop me an email at [email protected]

It's a really mushroomy mushroom

I have learned managing a business is managing a business it really doesn't matter what the product is. Quality, service and value are all that matter.

it doesn't taste anything like a mushroom tho.
it tastes weird almost bad, but it gives in small amounts flavor to foods you didn't know existed.

Probably varies with type, I just remember an overpowering mushroomy taste the last time I had some

the smell is similar to gasoline and the taste is...i can't describe it,very pungent its' just truffle( i fucking love it).
95% of truffle oil worldwide is completely artificial and made from bismetiltiomethane and dimethyl sulfide.
Good truffle oil is expensive even here in italy whee truffles are relatively common.

I was getting my hopes up until I saw that email address. I could definitely seeing myself going to Atlanta, don't shoot me down like that haha.

That's a real email if you email me there I can give you my other one but it has my full name not posting on biz

there is a place where they make the best fucking trout you ever had. one of their top selling is the trout with truffles. in itself it doesn't taste anything particularly good but the fish with it is just pure awesome. i have no idea which kind they use.

could be legit...as is mine
as i said i work in infosec.

Veeky Forums has some comfy threads once in a while, like that underwater welding one a few weeks ago

>tfw never had truffles before

Same. All I had is pic rel

i missed that tread but my neighbor did that and was making solid fucking bank at 27, house paid and half mill in investments. on pace to retire at 40.