>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1425/08/1425086033948.pdf
roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Combat#content
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Tell me about your noble (knight) characters

What made them decide to be a knight? Who is their squire and what are their goals in their station?

How can I maximize the number of animal companions/familiars at my disposal.
Harder mode: no UA.

Alright 5eg, find everything wrong with this Dan Dwiki race

GO

All of it. Stop shitposting.

If someone would update the Pantheons section of 5eTools to include all the pantheons and their deities, it would be much appreciated.

Too much text, I didn't want to read it

It's all in good fun nigga

Apparently OrcPub is being kept alive with the selling of add-ons through DMsGuild. Hopefully the owner acts less like a greedy little bitch, Wizards is doing him a huge favor after he was basically caught stealing.

>Magic Initiate: Find Familiar +1
>Ranger 3: BM +1
>Befriend Pseudodragon +1

>Wizard 6 (Necromancy)
>Druid 5 (Conjure Animals)
>Cast Conjure Animals with a 9th-level slot +32
>Cast Animate Dead with a 8th-level slot +12 (11+1 from Necromancy Wizard)

47 total

Ran a deck of many things in my long-term campaign because I'm an absolute madman.

One player lost 10k XP, then gained it. One player got the gift of foresight to ask one question and get a true answer...and that was it.

Went better than expected.

People with two first names are douchebags and can't be trusted.

People with 3 first names are aight though

alternatively.
Long term campaign, finger of death, dimension door.

BPD the race?

>Learns way fewer spells than a wizard
>Has a worse spell list than wizard (It's just the wizard spell list with rituals and good stuff torn out)
>Can spontaneous cast, but a wizard can still prepare more spells
>Can't learn spells outside of leveling up, while a wizard can learn them from enemy spellbooks.
>Bloodline traits are generally less useful than a Wizard's specialty school class
>Has meta-magic, but it's extremely situational, only like 2 or 3 of the options are actually worth using/spending a resource on, and it's STILL less useful than features like a wizards specialty school or spell mastery.

How do we fix Sorcerers?
In before "spellpoints", since that's still the same number of slots per level that they have already.

What's the best way to make a strength-based bareknuckle brawler without digging into homebrew?

>Score increase total being 0
>once ever hour
>doubling melee range instead on increasing it by 5'
>your bones being unattached only causes disadvantage on dex saves
>classes' primary ability
>classes' primary ability as it pertains to multiclassing
>classes' primary ability as it pertains to classes with multiple primary abilities
>3 additional STR skills
>gain prof in any items that are "related" to your class
>that example
>Disadvantage on checks involving speech when you can't speak
>Restless' theme doesn't match it's mechanics
>who takes a 4+ hour short rest
>you have no organs yet you can still eat, drink, and breath
>your mind needs to rest despite having no organs and therefore no brain; magic mind needs rest too though, I guess

You're welcome.

Refluff and expand Wu-Jen Mystics, while retaining meta-magic.

Str-focused monk it's shit

But every other option is worse

I personally would like to see a totally different method of casting spells. Or something like the cleric, with an entirely different spell list.

Was kinda expecting to hear Barb tbqh. There really doesn't seem to be any good way to do it.

Some user posted this a few days ago:

>Metamagic: You gain two more at 6th, 10th, and 14th level.
> Careful Spell: A chosen creature also takes no damage if they would normally take half damage on a successful save.
> Distant Spell: When you cast a spell that has a range of touch, you can spend 1 sorcery point to make the range of the spell 60 feet. (from 30)
> Extended Spell: When you cast a spell that has a duration of 1 minute or longer, you can spend 2 sorcery points to increase its duration to 8 hours.
> Heightened Spell: You can do so after the creature rolls for the saving throw but before any effects of the roll occur.

>Sorcerous Origin: Also have Origin Spells, like a Cleric's Domain spells, but spells know
Draconic Bloodlines
1st chromatic orb, command
3rd darkvision, enlarge/reduce
5th fear, fly
7th dominate beast, polymorph
9th scrying

Storm Sorcery
1st fog cloud, thunderwave
3rd gust of wind, levitate
5th call lightning, sleet storm
7th conjure minor elementals*, ice storm
9th conjure elemental**

* Unless you gain this spell from another source, you can summon only smoke, steam, ice, or dust mephits with it.
** Unless you gain this spell from another source, you can summon only air elementals with it. Wild Magic

Wild Magic
1st color spray, chaos bolt (UA)
3rd blur, misty step
5th blink, hypnotic pattern
7th dimension door, confusion
9th creation

Barb tavern brawler really is a pretty fun build.
Most of your consistent damage is coming from your str and rage bonus damage anyway. Who gives a fuck about the weapon dice.

Pick up whatever is lying around and smash people with it since you're proficient with all improvised weapons.
Max your str and con, of course. Maybe pick up the tough feat and be a bear barb just so that you never die.

Spell Points is good because you can cast 30 fireballs or 50 invisibilities or 75 shields as needed.

Otherwise give them bonus like domain spells... yeah like this. This is what I currently have.

Sorcerer Changes
Can choose to use Spell Point system, combine Spell Point and Sorcery Points into one pool
Pick a spell at each spell level from any non sorcerer spell list to add to your list of known spells, must fit some kind of theme that fits your character

>must fit some kind of theme that fits your character

my sorcerer is eclectic and loves clearing dungeons without dying so everything fits that theme thanks dm

To add to the discussion: spell points is one of the most retarded variant rules, following flanking.
The game wasn't designed around them, specially that you shouldn't get spell points for 6th level slots and after, and 19th and 20th grant spell points for the second 6th and 7th slots but you aren't allowed to cast them a second time.

You can cast one spell of 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th and still be able to cast a 5th level spell 12 times.

good things none of my players are like that then ^:)

I sometimes add a single card from the Deck as a bit of treasure. It's sleeved, so they don't accidentally draw it, but it's always there. I even pre-drew the card and handed it to them in a real sleeve to sell it.

It's been over a year and despite multiple near total party wipes, several dungeons gone wrong, and utter disasters, they are too afraid to draw it. What went wrong?

You gave them 1 card and pre drew it. They know it's nothing good.

By spending more time designing around the strengths and weaknesses of classes who draw strength from their natural abilities (Sorcerer, Monk, Barbarian) and classes that draw strength from gear (Fighter, Wizard).

I gave a real deck to them to draw and let them cut shuffle and draw whatever one they wanted so they knew I wasn't fucking with them.

Trust your players. Trust yourself. Trust the universe.

How do I roll an elf barbarian?

Is there a VERY abridged set of DnD rules that retains all the cool stuff like massive spell lists, acrobatics rope climbing armies persuasion etc and just makes combat simpler and more streamlined? Me and my party of normies want to play, but I fear exposing them to the full rules will just make them leave.

So far thinking of using this:
img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1425/08/1425086033948.pdf
But fear it might be too simple.

It wasn't.

To be fair, when I pre-drew it, I still let one of them do the actual honor. I just didn't let him see it.

It was the one that immediately turned an ally into an enemy.

5e's combat is already pretty simple. How stupid are your players?

You mean the one that turns a random NPC somewhere in the world hostile?

With dice and a character sheet.

Fairly smart but they are not going to take the time to read 114 pages of basic player rules at wizards.com

Tell them to read the 30 pages of chapters 6-8.

Dworf Barbarian, Dworf Fighter, or ganome rogue? I can't decide!

I believe the players are supposed to know them. Or, that's how I would have run it. Had they drawn it. The campaign basically ended with them wanting to move onto a new game/campaign, so I peeked finally.

Tell them to read the their class and race then explain combat as it happens the first time.

Your players might need special ed

D&D: The Imageboard Post
>You play as a hero good guy. You can choose either a sword, bow and arrows, or a magic staff. Also think of two things your character is good at doing or knowing about. You can make up whatever else you want about your guy that's cool.
>You are in a group of other adventurers. You guys are all in a dark dungeon filled with monsters and treasure. Your goal is to get to the end of dungeon and kill the evil Skeleton Wizard at the end.
>The Dungeon Master will tell you where you are and what you see in front of you, and what the monsters are doing.
>Each player takes a turn trying to do something. You can either attack a monster with your weapon, or try to jump or see or mess with an object or remember something. To do this, you say what you try to do, then you roll the 20-sided dice and see what number you got. If it's something your character is good at, add +5. Otherwise just use the dice number.
>If your number is 15 or more, you hit the monster or did the thing you tried to do. Otherwise you missed or didn't do it right. The Dungeon Master will tell you exactly what happens.
>If you have the sword, you can attack one monster right in front of you. If you have the bow and arrows you can attack one monster far away. If you have the magic staff you can shoot a fireball at that hits all the monsters.
>When you try to hit a monster, if you hit them, then roll a six sided dice and see what number you got. If you have a sword then add +2. Otherwise just take the number yo rolled. That's how much you hurt the monster. If a monster gets hurt enough it dies and you get some treasure. The DM will keep track of how much the monster is hurt and he'll tell you when it's dead.
>The monsters can attack you too. When a monster attacks you the DM rolls the twenty-sided dice.
>Eventually you will fight the Evil Skeleton Wizard. He uses evil magic that will mess you up and he can summon more monsters. You need to hurt him a lot to kill him.

How do you handle Retired PC's in your 5e games?

Do they still persist while not being played? (Still having an effect on their world, owning property, perfecting their Craft/Art? Encountered as NPC's?)

I have two players in my group that are retiring their Wizard and Artificer, both level 7. For new PC's.

The players still want to make improvements to their 'HUB' (House) that the Group uses while they are in town.

-The Wizard wants to work on spellcasting in the "downtime" of not playing him, casting Once-a-Day spells on the Home until they are permanent.
-The Artificer wants to perfect his Mechanical Companion and to use his abilities to open a shop to sell his crafted wares (Bags of Holdings, Sending stones, etc.) to create an income for the group.

How would you personally handle this? Advice? Input?

Anything would be appreciated. Thank you.

yeah, it's called 5e.

Your players don't have to read every part of the basic rules, just those that apply to their character. As long as they know 1. how to roll attack and damage in combat, 2. how to do a skill check or saving throw, 3. what their class features and spells do, that's basically 95% of the game right there.

roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Combat#content

This should be enough for players to know how to combat. Skill throws and saving throws are incredibly easy; they're just 1d20 + relevant stat modifier + proficiency bonus if you're proficient like 90% of the time.

For their class features and spells, you can give them the roll20 page on it, but it only has one of the archetypes for every class. The others are available online elsewhere, notably the d&d 5th edition wiki. Or you can just pirate the full PHB and give them just the pages with classes. Again, they don't gotta read every single class, just the ones they're playing. There are options that are published outside the PHB, but if you're a new GM fuck that shit

>Magic is OP
>No Dragon in Dungeons & Dragons
9/10 system would play the shit out of.

I would feel weird about the retired characters still helping out the group so directly. If they're leaving the party, they should probably leave the group too, not stick around and run a lemonade stand. Of course, nothing stopping them from finding their own house together and doing all that, then providing aid to the group every now and then.

Then again, I've never DM'd, so others might have better advice.

Your input is still appreciated.

I've used PCs from previous games as NPCs, If the old characters won't be played anymore, they should be paid for their services by the party that is still adventuring. Maybe a discount because they're friends. Or have the base be attacked late in the day after they've spent all their resources and die defending the homestead.

How good is Arcana Cleric?

I'm going to be making a human fighter. I want to use a pole arm and take the sentry and polearm master feats. What else would you recommend for this build?

Maybe also Great Weapon Master.

Friends, how would you go about making the Cyrinnishad an item? Use Vecna's book as a model?

PCs are in a plot line involving something akin to the times of trouble but in a modified world.

Where was Vecna's book statted?
The Cyrinishad bends all who read it to think of Cyric as the Only One and True God, even Cyric.

Well, at least the Book of Vile Darkness was statted. It isn't really absolutely authored by Vecna, but that is the leading theory.

Perhaps a mechanical effect of reading the Cyrinishad is a hyper charm effect placed against those who read it and you have to be forcibly stopped from reading it by an outside force else the charm becomes permanent?

You have to also give it an absurd DC to resist because the contents of the book affected even gods. I would even say you need to be forcibly removed from reading it by another god.

A way to counter it would be to have another divinely inspired tome, the True Life of Cyric.

If it's that powerful how do we know what's in it isn't actually true? Just wondering

I figured instead of an absurd DC, I'd just make it up to the other party members to pull someone away from the book itself before they complete it as once you start, you can not stop.

Restoration spells perhaps could aid in fixing those intensely charmed by it, but that is a big maybe.

It's divine propoganda in divine artifact form, well mortal created but forcibly inspired by the direct guidance of Cyric. It just affects everyone and you literally can't stop reading it.

Maybe you should read it before ignorantly blasting it as propaganda, I bet you don't even know what's in it

That's not what the book did, once you start reading it you literally couldn't stop reading. If you had started you were compelled to finish it.

You should read it first.

All I'm finding is that you can't willingly stop. Assuming you could be subdued, you can be stopped from reading it.

By then you would've already gone mad, with the absurd DC. There's a reason it's an insanely nasty artifact.

With a divine artifact, just being subdued wouldn't cut it.

Who said I haven't? All I'm saying is maybe it's worth giving a shot, hm?

>Although many paladins are devoted to gods of good, a paladin's power comes as much from a
commitment to justice itself as it does from a god. (PHB, p.82)
You fucking assholes. I trusted you when you said 'nuh uh, in 5e paladins get their powers oaths, not from gods'. But the quote above clearly states that it is 50/50.

Did you bother to keep reading? Where they continue to talk about "whether sworn before a god's altar and the witness of a priest, in a sacred glade before nature spirits and fey beings, or in a moment of desperation and grief with the dead as the only witness, a paladin's oath is a powerful bond. It is a source of power that turns a devout warrior into a blessed champion".
Never go full retard.

Looks like his post was only 50/100

Topkek.

Yeah right, let's totally ignore the text above and just pick whatever fits. The oath is what separates them from clerics, but they're still receiving their divine shit from someone. It might be more like
>I'm totally committing and I wouldn't mind divine powers!
instead of
>I pledge myself to you in particular, divine being.
but they're basically a mixture between cleric and warlock. They're on the receiving end of someone and if the gods altogether shit on them, they're powerless.

Are you illiterate, can you understand the fact they're empowered by their oaths?

Sure, taking one aspect of the text can help you a lot, but if you can actually read, "different paladins focus on various aspects of the cause of righteousness, but all are bound by the oaths that grant them power to do their sacred work".

Never go full retard.

Then where do oathbreakers get their powers from?

By their broken oath, you retard.
There's a box for oathbreaker atonement.

>A Hexblade can throw hand axes, light hammers, and daggers with CHA since they're melee weapons
Nice.

This is exactly the shit people parrot every thread. People legitimately wish paladins were finally free from the gods and uniquely different from clerics, but they're still the same glorified jihadists they've always been.

>By 2nd level, you have learned to draw on divine magic through meditation and prayer to cast spells as a cleric does.
>Charisma is your spellcasting ability for your paladin spells, since their power derives from the strength of your convictions.
>A paladin who has broken a vow typically seeks absolution from a cleric who shares his or her faith or from another paladin of the same order.
>Oathbreakers exist.

Paladins are fighting machines that allow themselves to be fulled by divine energy from anyone who fits their motor type (oath). They don't need to pledge themselves to specific gods, but without them or without them and angels, they're fucked.

If you can actually read, that's from the PHB.
If you can't understand the divine energy empowering paladins can be representative of their oaths and not necessarily empowered by deities, there's no helping your autism.

Why do warlocks form a boon with entities and only receive arcane and not divine energy?

The way I always have seen it is it is like Clerics get their powers from their deity directly while Paladins get it from an oath sworn to the portfolio a deity oversees.

Portfolio =/= Deity. They may worship a specific deity but that is not where the power is drawn.

Nah, they have oaths they have to uphold, the sum of which empowers them.

> Spell points is good because you can cast 30 fireballs or 50 invisibilities or 75 shields as needed
You know sorcerer can do this normally, right? You can turn spell slots into sorcery points and visa versa.

>You know sorcerer can do this normally, right?

With far less efficiency.

This makes much more sense than >the divine energy empowering paladins can be representative of their oaths
Let me try to understand you. Saying
>I swear to spare the innocent and to uphold three or four other things!
and being really confident about this, like really hard, could grant me divine energy? Out of thin air, energy which didn't exist before, simply because I adopt this mindset? Is this the idea?

>Why do warlocks form a boon with entities and only receive arcane and not divine energy?
Because warlocks do not revere their patrons like clerics would. They also don't open themselves to receive power from virtually anything. They don't go around saying 'Who wants me? I take any bit of divinity I get'. They receive a link. Think about fiends. Asmodeus could have a range of warlock goons bound by pacts. Their contract gives them pact magic. At the same time he's revered as a god. The people who pray to him receive divine spells.

So I heard toa had leaked

Anyone got the goods?

How involved are the Gods in your campaign, /5eg/? I mean ever directly evolved.

Do you ever have campaigns centered around them? Do you just use minions and never the deity themselves?

i ask because i've usually stayed pretty far from the divine in previous campaigns and am dipping my toes in

Hasbots halting progress again

>Out of thin air, energy which didn't exist before
I have always thought that the energy comes from the millions of other people who also have faith in those concepts and paladins just tap into that.

I've never played a character with sunlight sensitivity before, but I'm thinking I'd like to within the next few campaigns. How have you guys handled sunlight sensitivity with your characters? Darkness and Devil's Sight seems like an obvious fix, but if anyone else has had success with another method, please share.

Long sleeves and sunglasses, same as a battered wife.

The only logical thing to do is to extinguish the sun.

Reminder that sunlight sensitivity is an allergy to solar radiation and that does no more than a trench coat on a submarine reactor

Getting gods directly involved is a recipe for disaster. I played in a campaign with a shit DM who basically had the gods pop up every five minutes to railroad us into the next pointless quest. He also had "epic" god fights where we sat there and watched him roll fistfuls of dice as gods fought each other. Any player who tried to intervene was zapped for arbitrary amounts of damage.

It wasn't even the worst thing about the campaign.

Just remove the combat penalties, as the makes the races with it unplayable. They're fine after that.

Is this actually defined anywhere? Mostly just curious, seems like every DM I've had has handled it differently.

Why? Because you're an autistic retard?
This guy put it well And why can't you understand the concept of conviction irrespective of faith? The paladin is empowered by his ideals and by his convictions and beliefs in the oaths he upholds, not by divinity, which is more the cleric's province.

It isn't out of thin air, you blithering retard.

The warlocks have sold their soul or a piece of it to the entities in question, which is an intimately more personal relationship, and which is where they gain their powers from. Their link, by your logic should also be divine in nature but it isn't.

>>you have no organs yet you can still eat, drink, and breath
You only need muscles to pretend to do it tho
jaw and tongue muscles to chew and swallow, rib muscles to breath in and out

Yeah, couldn't tell you where exactly though, as I'm on the phone.

On the upside it doesn't trigger on things like the Daylight spell and other sources of bright light

I sort of figured it would need more than just a pair of sunglasses to deal with. A couple things I've come up with while thinking about it now are: Shield Master feat could cancel out the disadvantage. Having a Druid ally with Call Lightning could work. Having an owl familiar to use the Help action is a possibility.

I wonder if simply casting a Fog Cloud in the air above you would suffice? Does heavy obscurement block sunlight?

Ya gotta help me 5e, I have given this ring to one of my PC's as part of their questline qnd I bqsed it on q Ring of Death magical unique item I read about, but now, for the life of me I can't find the info again... it had to do womething with that it was the ring of death itself and the wearer is always drawn to death, magical stuff happens when the ring gets blood on them and every day while wearing the ring there is a chance that death appears to claim his rightful dues. Anyone know what I am talking about?