/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Richard And Saladin Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/file/qx9y9dnazmtrrhd/Osprey - CAM 161 - The Third Crusade 1191.pdf
mediafire.com/file/da03ri8sc803nca/Osprey - FOR 032 - Crusader Castles in the Holy Land 1192-1302.pdf
mediafire.com/file/5sn46pirygc8zbv/Osprey - MAA 171 - Saladin and the Saracens.pdf
mediafire.com/file/s3w35qfrdp3546i/Osprey - WAR 033 - Knight Hospitaller (1) 1100-1306.pdf
mediafire.com/file/6670fyb57no5jte/Osprey - WAR 091 - Knight Templar 1120-1312.pdf
mediafire.com/file/7t23q9162uor1gv/Knights At War.pdf
onedrive.live.com/?id=BAF113CFB8DCD1CD!11206&cid=BAF113CFB8DCD1CD
mega.nz/#!Ox9TVB7B!Zb57n_MsKjSFtT-e1G2gLnR6zhmHo6unMzRaGze_ihc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Garrett_(Medal_of_Honor)
mediafire.com/file/89r71ptqb813018/NATO Division Commander.pdf
mega.nz/#F!6tV3UCgQ!Vn1tOhgfBobKNZsxVqX2Jg
mega.nz/#!jwcXSY6Y!_jMaHQU9JEnPvrNp54ZOtF5SdQnp8aNb9o4nmUOMCFk
mediafire.com/file/9xxzdx9568ga3gj/A Fistful of TOWs 3 v01-20.pdf
tinytanks3mm.blogspot.co.nz/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Modern Spearhead

September the 7th in military history:

AD 70 – A Roman army under Titus occupies and plunders Jerusalem.
1191 – Third Crusade: Battle of Arsuf: Richard I of England defeats Saladin at Arsuf.
1652 – Around 15,000 Han farmers and militia rebel against Dutch rule on Taiwan.
1695 – Henry Every perpetrates one of the most profitable pirate raids in history with the capture of the Grand Mughal ship Ganj-i-Sawai.
1706 – War of the Spanish Succession: Siege of Turin ends, leading to the withdrawal of French forces from North Italy.
1778 – American Revolutionary War: France invades Dominica in the British West Indies.
1812 – French invasion of Russia: The Battle of Borodino, the bloodiest battle of the Napoleonic Wars, was fought near Moscow and resulted in a French victory.
1901 – The Boxer Rebellion in Qing dynasty China officially ends with the signing of the Boxer Protocol.
1932 – The Battle of Boquerón, the first major battle of the Chaco War, commences.
1940 – World War II: The German Luftwaffe begins the Blitz, bombing London and other British cities for over 50 consecutive nights.
1942 – World War II: Australian and US forces inflict a significant defeat upon the Japanese at the Battle of Milne Bay.
1943 – World War II: The German 17th Army begins its evacuation of the Kuban bridgehead (Taman Peninsula) in southern Russia and moves across the Strait of Kerch to the Crimea.
1945 – The Berlin Victory Parade of 1945 is held.
1965 – Vietnam War: In a follow-up to August's Operation Starlight, United States Marines and South Vietnamese forces initiate Operation Piranha on the Batangan Peninsula.
1997 – Maiden flight of the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor.

It is 826 years since the Battle of Arsuf, part of the Third Crusade, in which Richard I of England defeated the forces of Ayyubid leader Saladin.

The Third Crusade (1189-1192) had been a response to the overwhelming victories of Saladin in the previous years. Throughout 1187 Saladin had conquered the Kingdom of Jerusalem, leaving Tyre as the only significant Crusader outpost.

Following word of the massive losses, the royals of Western Europe answered the call to crusade. Frederick I Barbarossa, the Holy Roman Emperor, was the first to journey to the Holy Land but drowned during a river crossing. His army was mostly destroyed by disease and Turkish horse-archers, the remnants of his forces falling under the command of Duke Leopold V of Austria. Richard, at this time King of England, Duke of Normandy and Aquitaine, and Count of Anjou, traveled by sea, stopping at Sicily and conquering the island of Cyprus from the Byzantines before his arrival at Acre in 1191. Here Guy of Lusignan, along with Duke Leopold and Phillip Augustus, King of France, were already laying siege to the city. Under Richard's overall command, and by his mastery of siege warfare, the city fell to the crusaders, returning a vital port to the kingdom. Phillip, claiming sickness, departed for France, and the crusader army fell under Richard's sole command. He set his army on the march to Arsuf, traveling along the Mediterranean coast, desiring to secure port cities from which he could launch an inland invasion on the city of Jerusalem itself. It was during this march that Richard would met the forces of Saladin at the battle of Arsuf.

The crusader force, along with the Knights Templar and Hospitaller, numbered roughly 20,000-30,000 men. The army would have been infantry heavy, only a few thousand men being knights, along with Turcopole light cavalry. Saladin most likely fielded an army roughly the same size as Richard's, 20,-30,000 men, divided more evenly between infantry and cavalry.

While marching to his ultimate goal of Jerusalem, Richard kept his forces close to the Mediterranean Sea, his fleet logistic being readily available for the army. Closest to the sea marched his baggage train with a screen of infantry, next were the cavalry, the Knights Hospitaller in the rear, the Knights Templar in the vanguard, followed by a line of protective infantry.

Saladin saw the march as a chance to crush the crusaders in the field, push them back into the sea, and thus secure the doom of the Crusader States. He began by sending his light infantry and Turkish horse in skirmishing attacks against the crusader left flank, commanded by the Hospitallers. These attacks began as minor harassment, over the course of the day they intensified to a desperate struggle for the Hospitallers. Saladin's goal was to force the crusader left flank away from the main army, creating a gap he could then exploit by a full charge, destroying the crusader formation and pushing Richard's forces into the Mediterranean. Were it not for the discipline of Richard and the Hospitallers, he may have succeeded.

The attacks on the left flank consisted mainly of archery and javelin fire, the crusaders behind their wall of infantry spearmen and retaliating with crossbows. The Hospitallers suffered few losses, however they were losing horses. Several times they begged Richard to launch a full charge, fearing if they lost any more horses they wouldn't be able to charge at all. Richard refused each request, waiting for Saladin to expose his right flank, when it would be away from the center and left and more vulnerable to a charge.

Saladin continued to commit more men to the crusader left flank, some Turkish horse even dismounting to better shoot into the crusader ranks. More requests were made, and denied, by the Hospitallers to charge.

As the knights continued to lose horses they too lost all patience, and without orders charged into the Ayyubid right flank. Richard, seeing no option but to support the charge, ordered the Templars to charge the Ayyubid left. The Ayyubids, having failed to provoke a charge all day, were caught by surprise, and though they attempted to rally, they were slaughtered. The knights, followed by their infantry, killed over 7,000 Ayyubids, including 7 high ranking emirs, at a total loss of at best 1,000 casualties for the crusaders.

The victory of Arsuf allowed Richard to continue unimpeded down the Mediterranean coast. Though Richard believed he could take the city of Jerusalem, he believed once most of the crusaders returned home, those remaining would be unable to hold it. After several more actions, including the amphibious retaking of the port of Jaffa, and a proposed marriage between Richard's sister and Saladin's brother, the King of England concluded a peace with Saladin and left the Holy Land in 1192, bringing an end to the Third Crusade.

This is a classic subject for a wargame, with two legendary leaders bringing interesting forces to the table in a test of pure generalship.

mediafire.com/file/qx9y9dnazmtrrhd/Osprey - CAM 161 - The Third Crusade 1191.pdf
mediafire.com/file/da03ri8sc803nca/Osprey - FOR 032 - Crusader Castles in the Holy Land 1192-1302.pdf
mediafire.com/file/5sn46pirygc8zbv/Osprey - MAA 171 - Saladin and the Saracens.pdf
mediafire.com/file/s3w35qfrdp3546i/Osprey - WAR 033 - Knight Hospitaller (1) 1100-1306.pdf
mediafire.com/file/6670fyb57no5jte/Osprey - WAR 091 - Knight Templar 1120-1312.pdf

This is actually an Usborne Wargaming title intended for kids, but it has a nice and simple Arsuf game so I thought I'd include it:
mediafire.com/file/7t23q9162uor1gv/Knights At War.pdf

Yes I know it's Borodino Day too, but you try summarizing that in a few paragraphs. Take this pic of a cutie Russian drummer girl instead and go read War and Peace.

An user has provided this folder of Next War games from GMT; if you could add it to your MF folder ASLAnon I'd be much obliged:

onedrive.live.com/?id=BAF113CFB8DCD1CD!11206&cid=BAF113CFB8DCD1CD

The new community project is for a Garrison, Militia, or Second-Line-type unit, and runs until the 16th

Sharpshooting Rifles of the American Civil War (Osprey Weapon 56)

At the outset of the American Civil War, the Union Army's sharpshooters were initially equipped with the M1855 Colt revolving rifle, but it was prone to malfunction. Instead, the North's sharpshooters preferred the Sharps rifle, an innovative breech-loading weapon capable of firing up to ten shots per minute - more than three times the rate of fire offered by the standard-issue Springfield .58-caliber rifled musket. Other Union sharpshooters were equipped with the standard-issue Springfield rifled musket or the .56-56-caliber Spencer Repeating Rifle. Conversely, the Confederacy favoured the Pattern 1853 Enfield rifled musket for its sharpshooters and also imported from Britain the Whitworth Rifle, a .45-caliber, single-shot, muzzle-loading weapon distinguished by its use of a twisted hexagonal barrel. Featuring specially commissioned artwork, this is the engrossing story of the innovative rifles that saw combat in the hands of sharpshooters on both sides during the Civil War.

mega.nz/#!Ox9TVB7B!Zb57n_MsKjSFtT-e1G2gLnR6zhmHo6unMzRaGze_ihc

Baibars was more important to history than Richard and Salad Man combined.

What did he do except defeating a numerically smaller, exhausted and morally weak mongol force which forwent their previous war winning strategies and charged like maniacs?

Funnily enough it was the anniversary of Ain Jalut back on the 3rd
I went to Damascus on a tour nearly 20 years ago, visited the tombs of both Saladin and Baibars
Seems like a very long time back now

Just think, a not insignificant proportion of this websites userbase was born around the time or after that trip.

I was a little over one year old

Total newbie here.

I've been lurking these threads for some weeks and my interest is growing, I might as well spend some bucks in miniatures and properly get into the hobby.

Anyways, Im interested in mostly painting and playing with medieval knights, either mounted or not, i think I will start with these.

What miniatures (either brand or game) would you recomend me?

Thanks in advance folks

Does sort of depend on scale there user
Assuming 28mm, then I'd say Gripping Beast for the earlier half of the period, and Perry, Essex and Crusader miniatures for the later half

You can't go wrong with Perry Miniatures.

Pretty much everything they sculpt looks great and they make both metal and plastic minis.

A tip is looking up what people are playing in your vicinity and going that since it fucking sucks not to have anyone to play with.

Dear /hwg/, while moving I found this kit, that I bought a couple of years back and never got to build. I don't have a lot of space in my new place and so I won't take it with me? Any of you guys interested in it? I am willing to part from it for just the shipping price.

The kit has been opened but nothing has been taken out if I recall correctly.

I recently fell in love with claymore castings miniatures. They look awesome.
Perry is also really good. Don't forget to check out their metal minis in addition to the plastic stuff.
The Fireforge plastic minis are also pretty good.

For games I can't really recommend anything, cause I haven't played anything, but I'm interested in SAGA myself.

>tfw can't decide between Anglo-Saxons and Vikings

It's funny because in reality their aesthetics were pretty similar, but with miniatures you can "play up" Saxons to look like Rohan and Vikings to look like low-fantasy barbarians

Where do you live, user?

Netherlands

Might be worth asking in /smg/ on /toy/.

I like you guys better so I wanted to give someone here a chance first.

Go for frisians

Hey user, I would love to get that kit, live in Luxembourg, how much do you reckon postage would be ?

Hah, fair enough. I fancied the kit myself a while back, but I heard bad things about the quality of the cast and parts.

About 10 euros it looks like. I'm not sure about it though.

13 euros probably

I'd be willing to pay that, how do I go about giving you the information you need? Never done something like this, still a bit of a newfag.

Reading in to it a bit more for SAGA, I might try to make them as generic Dark Ages/Early Medieval as possible, so I can change factions.

Just need to work out if my local Historicals club is still going, they haven't made a Facebook post on their group for a few months. I guess mostly old blokes aren't going to keep that updated like younger people though.

Give the chap an email now (a throwaway if you don't want [email protected] posting on Veeky Forums), then I imagine he will email you which Paypal account to send the €13 to, and give him your postal address.

Facebook trade groups do similar, they always advise to use "pay for Goods and Services" instead of "pay family or friends" as even though the commission is slightly higher, it gives you buyer protection.

Where do I get muh Mesopotamians

just got some Norman infantry from conquest games, did I make a mistake, probably should have asked here first looking back.

No they're good, I bought a few out of curiosity.

I don't even know if anyone else makes 28mm Norman plastics actually.

nice, look forward to it now. newb question, what games can i play with them out of curiosity?

Foundry/Warlord have great 28mm Biblical stuff

Your best start would be Saga

You could use them as Early Crusaders for something like Deus Vult or Soldiers of God.

Could also use them for Chevauchee as well.

is there a system which has a bit of a RPG bit to it, like going on a campaign with a set force and maybe some progression or something?

Do you want your 'force' to be a warband of just a couple of dudes or an army of lots of dudes?

Because for the former there are a fair few choices including Chevauchee like user suggests.

For army-level stuff not that many games focus on progression, but there are still campaign supplements for many systems.

il look at Chevauchee, what systems would work with just an ongoing campaign kind of deal then?

Here's a write-up of a Chevauchee campaign I ran a couple of months back.

nice, are the rules for the campaign in the book or are they added homebrew or something?

They're in the book!

hmmmssst, might start reading then. cheers

Gettin' into ACW. These chaps are meant to be the 41st Ohio, chosen because a very very distant member of my family who went to America was a sergeant in the regiment.

Always fun to adopt a regiment and study them, especially if there's a personal collection
I see they were in the Western Theatre; Shiloh, Murfreesboro and Chickamauga
Also they won two Medals of Honor at Nashville
Casualty count is pretty high too; it says something that they lost more men in combat than to disease, they saw some hard fighting

Aye, it's odd being on the other side of things since normally it's Americans finding a distant connection to Europe, while in my case I'm finding a distant connection to America.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Garrett_(Medal_of_Honor)

The man himself.

A Manxman, even
>With several companions Sergeant Garrett dashed forward, the first to enter the enemy's works, taking possession of four pieces of artillery and captured the flag of the 13th Mississippi Infantry
Nice to have a Sharpe in the family

I made a thread about this already and a kind user pointed me to this thread. Can anyone help with my very specific issue:

I want to set up an operational level wargame where players command brigades down to platoon level but not individual soldiers or tanks.
I also want to use real world topographical maps with hexes where each hex represents say 1km and NATO symbol counters for the units.
I cannot find anywhere online to get hold of this stuff. Can anyone suggest any ideas as to how I can go about making this happen?

You have a number of options
Brigade down to platoon level is pretty intense, most games only go as far down as battalion
We have a range of modern-era hex and counter games in the Modern/Games folder in the OP, you should browse that; start with this:
mediafire.com/file/89r71ptqb813018/NATO Division Commander.pdf
We just scored a full set of the Next War games, a set of modern hex-and-chit titles that go down to battalion level:
mega.nz/#F!6tV3UCgQ!Vn1tOhgfBobKNZsxVqX2Jg
You could take either Cold War Commander:
mega.nz/#!jwcXSY6Y!_jMaHQU9JEnPvrNp54ZOtF5SdQnp8aNb9o4nmUOMCFk
or Fistful of Tows:
mediafire.com/file/9xxzdx9568ga3gj/A Fistful of TOWs 3 v01-20.pdf
and play them in 3mm scale, using counters if you prefer them over minis, on a hex map
There's also GDW's WW3 games, but they were strategic rather than operational:
Check out Tinytanks' blog for some inspiration:
tinytanks3mm.blogspot.co.nz/

Thanks for the advice. I'm not too worried about what rules to use but more about getting hold of real world topographical maps with hexes to help determine movement. Any ideas?

You could literally just use google maps then add a grid on top in photoshop or gimp or similar.

>getting hold of real world topographical maps with hexes to help determine movement
You could plifer them from various hex-and-counter games, these for example are from Avalon Hill's Panzer Leader

Yeah drop the email here, I will contact you then.

Anglo Saxons imo. Not only do they seem to have a lot more depth and character, but you can roll them as Pagan or Christian.

Another system to recommend if you want more crunch is Strike Legion: Planetary Operations (it's an SF game) with the WW3 supplement (which... isn't SF).

FFT3's great though. And board games?

For maps, just add a hex overlay onto google or something, then ideally redraw it yourself to abstract things or simplify them a bit - if a road's all over the place for no apparent reason, it really can make life easier to have it run straight on the map, or at least align to a hexline better.

Does anyone have a scan of an Osprey - The Caucasus 1942–43: Kleist’s race for oil (Campaign)?

[email protected]

Does any one have a pdf of General de Bridgade Deluxe edition?

Thanks!

Anyone here knows of some game like "a song of drums and shakos" but for victorian colonial era ? If not, do you reckon using said rules as is would do ?

I think the normal version is in our Napoleonics folder, what's the difference with the deluxe version?

Are there any big differences between the Beta rules in the archive and the final version? Other than the campaign stuffs, I'd like to play some demo games with friends before actually buying the rules but if they are too different I might just get the final version

The game underwent some pretty significant revisions in terms of readability/play-ability between beta and final release.

I reckon you'd get a rough idea of how it plays with the beta rules, but you'd be better off with the final version.

Thats quite the impressive collection of teeny men.

I think the existing rules would work pretty well.
Breach-loaders need only 1 action to reload, repeaters need none
Point values for them need some guesswork

These the GHQ hex pieces or something else? Was wondering if the cost was worth it.

It's one of the centrepiece games from this year's Joy of Six - Waterloo at 6mm. I didn't get a chance to talk to the blokes running the game, but I suspect it was pretty expensive to put together.

>Joy of Six
Oh wargamers and their puns

Ah. I had the notion that I could find Styrofoam hexagons cheaper then GHQ was offering. Turns out not many people make stuff shaped like hexes.

Wouldn't be the same without them.

It's really annoying, we've had some success with the hexon stuff, but again it costs the fucking earth.

How is SAGA?

I've seen people say it's the ginger stepchild of Historicals.

I have a lot of fun with it, but yeah, it's barely historical.
That hasn't stopped me from putting together some Vikings and Crusaders and having battles down at my club.

dumping some pics of a Chain of Command game I've played recently.

Looks really nice

Noice.
What scale is that?
Looks like 28mm.

Empress Miniatures will be starting a late war German line. I personally find Empress and Perry to have the perfect scale on their minis so I'm quite looking forward to it. I hope they release some late war Brits in the future.

Forgot the image.

yep 28mm

I'd say it's pretty beer and pretzels but that doesn't mean it isn't fun.

It's for when you can't be bothered to meticulously research a scenario and just want to throw down with some goddamn vikings.

Get'em while you can. I'll have to pull them soon. They haven't made it into the ASL trove yet.

On M3d14 F1r3

/file/tm7h7j596vg74w9/ASL_-_Map_Boards_01-20.rar

/file/amupbbf9lm6kqow/ASL_-_Map_Boards_21-40.rar

/file/b12b3zbuxzb61d6/ASL_-_Map_Boards_41-64.rar

/file/52day67655rdq09/ASL%20Scenarios%20-%20MMP%20-%20Core%20Modules%201-144.pdf

/file/9d1aveh9v5tdldt/ASL%20Scenarios%20-%20MMP%20-%20Journal%20Scenarios%20-%20J001-112.pdf

/file/7z34ja82sj6f0nd/ASL%20Rulebook%20v2.pdf

For the trove (OP)

How does Chain of Command compare to Bolt Action?

Has anyone ever seen a modification of Dux Britanium or Saga (or similar) for Caesar in Gaul?

I'm looking for recommendations for WWII and Cold War games that either use 15mm or can easily be converted to use that scale, and aren't Flames of War. Are there any? Crunch-wise, I'm OK with anything from beer and pretzels to "bring a general staff, you'll need it."

Chain of Command is a lot more rooted in the actual history. One doesn't buy units with points but one uses historically correct Platoon structures with accurate weaponry and equipment. Ruleswise it also plays differently. It simulates the fog of war aspect a lot more than Bold Action and NCOs and officers play a bigger role.
I like both and I think Bolt Action is a fine game, especially if you use a historically correct platoon structure instead of 6 five men squads armed with Assault rifles only and 3 flame tanks bullshit.

Battlegroup

Rapid Fire and Command Decision are both originally meant for 15mm

Thank you, I'll look into those.

Force on Force, works fine for WW2, but better for Cold War stuff.

I tend to go for mostly historical-inspired structures for my BA lists, and I do find myself getting swamped by German players with assault rifles everywhere/US players with LMGs everywhere.
I've never encountered a flamethrower vehicle, thankfully.