EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Oldfag Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Search for primers at your own risk.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: What Reserved List tech do you wield?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/avacyn-is-best-angel/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/06-02-17-the-queens-army/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for compaining that Regal Behemoth is no dinosaur.

What commander do sociopaths play?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/avacyn-is-best-angel/

Looking forward to buying the cards for this, but I am worried that I don't have enough tutors.

The deck isn't meant to be a super competitive build, but it still needs to be somewhat consistent.
It used to run tamiyo's journal, should I put it back?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jhoira MLD

Kambal as combo control

Does this mean my commander flips as soon as it etb's?

blue with a standard kit of counterspells and then different colors for siferent flavors

always control

If you have 30 or more life.

>stuck between a King's game type thing for the winner to force the qt3.14 femboi in the group to wear a dress or simply sexually assualting them

>you begin the game with 40 life
assuming you have not fallen below 30 life by the time you cast this, then yes.

if you have 30 or more life, just like divinity is a 8/8 when it enters, most of the time atleast.

None, sadly. There's a few card I'd like to own.

Mairsil?

Metalworker and academy rector, the other reserved list cards I'd like to use are stupidly expensive sadly.

Who else is hyped for big lizards?

Hot

This guy!
>except maybe everything on this list

I'm (strangely) more hyped for merfolk

Yeah, the list is absolut shit, there are so much more creatures who would have helped making a working dinosaur edh.
>Regal Behemoth
>Brooding Saurian
>Maybe Aetherwind Basker, but that would be to farfetched

Anyone actually have luck playing Mairsil instead of just brewing him? I'm losing hope. I'm worried the deck just won't work.

Honestly, I'll probably end up running some of them to fill slots. Not excited about it, but there it is.

>him

Alesha, Mairsil, and a freyalise Precon with Ezuri leading and like 2 cards swapped out. Have a Breya Precon I will probably be upgraded next. Either that or I'll reconstruct Inalla since I ended up having almost no cards from the wizard precon still in mairsil.

Only really started playing magic this year so as far as I'm aware I don't have any reserved list cards (nor could I probably afford/ be willing to pay for anything worth playing on it.

I'm pretty hyped for vampires because of edgar. a shame the new legend only triggers when nontoken vamps attack.

Intelligent ones play stax and lockdowns. Dumb ones play chaos, but overcompensating ones desperately trying to fit in play grouphug.

Yes, him.

Hey guys, I found a way to make this guy balanced
>T1 swamp, Lotus petal, Dark Ritual, Necropotence, necro for 11, sac petal and play Ascendant

What is the lowest budget deck you've built and how effective was it?

Jolrael lands was only $25 and has pulled a few surprise wins from the table.

I'll probably have my first real game with him tonight. But in 1v1 with my friend who has a low powered deck I consistantly was able to perform degenerate comboes. Still need to acquire anthroplasm and sage of hours for that infinite combo, but I'm not 100% sure I want to be doing that. There seems to be a few of different ways to take him though.

>gnathosaur is not a dinossaur
>pteron ghost is not a spirit dinossaur

fuck this list honestly

Why is a GnathoSAUR no dinosaur?

Or you just throw down a Hex Parasite and use its ability 6 times.

>Withstand Phyrexian Oil

So the key to stopping Phyrexia is literally giant lizards?

Only way to complain about this is through the feedback thing when Ixalan comes out, right?

Mairisil & Bosh because the power of jank and throwing artifacts at people usually wins.

>tfw the plan is to use a planar portal on Ixalan to use the power of friendship and dinosaurs to defeat New Phyrexia

I suppose, though I'll likely have an even bigger complaint to make when that time comes.
>the complete and utter ruination of pic related
>probably in every way imaginable once we see her in the story

I have played a couple one vs one games with him and played him a few times in 4 man pods. He is much stronger in multiplayer allowing you to activate him every turn if you have a untap effect and a guilded lotus or decent mana rock caged. (Thought it rarely wins its worth the tough time to brew him.)

>What Reserved List tech do you wield?
I have a bunch of dual lands in my decks.
Yavimaya Hollow is in most decks that have green as well. Wheel of fortune obviously. I also have two Gaea's Cradles.

For those that play 1v1, do you prefer Duel Commander or MTGO ruleset?

>people recommending taking Cliffhaven Vampire out of Karlov
It and Vizkopa Guildmage are both wincons as backup Sanguine Bonds.

Remember Rampage, kids?

No.

Brago stax
Formerly they used to play Leovold

>at EDH night last night
>one of my friends is being a faggot
>bring out skittles infect
>suicide him for the rest of the time
>feel bad about it today

Rampage could have been a cool evergreen mechanic if it activated simply starting from the first creature blocking.

The deck has a very glaring weakspot, that is Mairsil itself. As long as you manage to protect him you should be ok, just be careful of counterspells and sacrifices.

If phyrexia invades Ixalan, we'll get robot dinosaurs

I came to /EDH/ a month or two ago looking for feedback on my first deck. I've done some tweaking and wanted to get some feedback from anons

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/06-02-17-the-queens-army/

31 lands is way to low if you want to be casting Avacyn and other high cmc angels. I'd increase that to at least 37. What do you want to tutor for?

If Kamigawa invades Ixalan, we'll get Dinosaur Samaurai

But the whole point was to discourage multiblocking. Like Banding, the mechanic is a relic of when creature combat were viewed as legitimate forms of removal.

>Not using Sensei Golden Tail to make Gishath a Samurai and equiping General's Kabuto on it.

>Shogun Gishath

Is Diamond Valley worth while instead of High Market for a monoblack deck running Urborg and also in a meta where Urborg is fairly popular?

Is pic related a good deck for a new player? My friend wants to jump into commander and I really don't want to discourage her but I'm worried that this deck might be too weak compared with other C17 precons.

Weak is a good place to start when you're still learning the format. It lets them start brewing and thinking of what to clean up and replace. Plus, you're there to help figure out what works and what doesn't and suggest replacements. The commanders in that deck are perfectly strong, so it isn't like they won't end up with a good deck eventually. And it won't break the bank.

If you have it, use it, but I wouldn't shell out 400$ for it.
It's got a bunch of good cards at least, so just rip it apart and rebuild it how you want it.

The power increase is not worth the actual cost, no, though if you're the kind of person who has faith in the market then you can always sell it later.

I can see the value of these in Standard play. EDH if you can find a way to ping them without killing them
meh

Oh god, they're so cute
Best I can come up with is Eldrazi Monument+Pyrohemia for token/land per R you spend.

Adorable.

I love spoiler season.

Haha, fuck. I knew it was pricey, I didn't think it was that pricey. Miren the Moaning Well it is.

I've been using Miren as a sac outlet and it's been doing fine even if the 3 mana tap cost can get annoying at times, it's worth it if it lets me keep my eldrazi and other big guys from getting exiled.

I like High Market, but I want something that works with Alhamarett's Archive in my green deck and something that gains me lots of life in my monoblack deck.

It doesn't tap for mana unless you have Urborg out so I would just run Miren. Are you using it in a combo to gain infinite life or just for a sac outlet/value? High Market and Miren is enough for those reasons imo. White decks can use pic related as a budget replacement. I've got it in a cleric deck that can make infinite toughness creatures because I don't want to spend 300$.

The response to being a faggot isn't to be a faggot yourself
Congratulations, you're learning

Season of the Witch in Monoblack control.

>ranging raptors and pic related in marath
mmh oh yah

In Grixis, in something other than Nekusar, do you do Wheel of Fortune or Windfall?

Wheel of Fortune for the redictability.

Handing someone brand new to magic a 3 colored deck is a great way to make them not like magic. Start off with a regular mono green or red or black or something like that.

I'd say 2-colors with a strong theme is the best way.

I initiated my girlfriend with Rakdos Goblins and she enjoys it very much,

How long until the buyout?

>If Mairsil has an equip ability, activating it won’t cause anything to happen. Mairsil doesn’t become attached to a creature. They may remain friends.

What's the final ruling on Quicksilver Elemental and the King of Jank? Does it work or no?

"Yes."
You get a copy of Quicksilver Elemental's ability, so you just have to pay blue to copy the effects on Mairsil. However, you also get copies of any copies of abilities that he has.

So, first activation, one copy of abilities, second, two copies, third time four, fourth time, eight, etc. etc.

Do you really think enrage will be viable outside of standard?

I fucked up my commas. Don't bully me

I curious to know good ways to force other players to cast spells I cast, but prevent me from casting my own spells.
I really want to force some shitty Epic onto everyone else.

>pay 7 life: Vindicate
>on a five drop
It could be worse I guess.

every new set has some breakout modern cards, some even find their way to legacy

wonder what cards are gonna join the fray this time

>good ways
I don't think there are any.

You could have Hive Mind in play, cast an ebin spell, Disenchant your Hive Mind, then counterspell your own ebin spell though.

Activated abilities to counter spells would make it a bit easier too. Ertai, Patron Wizard, etc. If you built the whole deck to pull this off I could see it happening.

Having 3 or more opponents gunning for you with epic spells would be hilarious and still a difficult game.

I suppose Abjure would be good for that.
Totally forgot about Hive Mind, so thanks.
I thought there was a "Counter target spell. Each other player may copy it" spell, but maybe I was dreaming, or got Fractured Identity confused as a counterspell.

Damn, good idea. If Abjure works then it would be the perfect card. It sacrifices Hive Mind as part of the cost so I guess Hive Mind could not copy it?

I had a friend who lives across the country visiting and introduced him to mtg by making him a ravnica themed Gruul beats deck that I made from random cards I had lying around.

While we were building it he told me he had a roommate who was always bragging about his super bad-ass vampire deck that never lost, so I made the deck assuming he was going to be playing against a heavily tuned vampire deck.

Later he told me that his Gruul deck went 15-0 against the vampire dude and his roommate refused to play anymore.
Apparently the vampire deck had zero curve and was just all his vampires thrown into a pile, he only had 1-2 of each, I made him a deck with 4x Lightning Bolt, 4x Burning-Tree Emissary, 4x Rancor, 4x Ghor-Clan Rampager,
4x Bloodbraid Elf etc

No, that doesn't prevent speculators though.

I'm pretty sure. Targeting comes before cost payment, and payment before actual casting, I'm pretty sure.
If not, then I've just given everyone a free counterspell to negate their Epic spells. :^)

Also, I suppose ideally you'd want either the snek spell or to have hexproof before casting.

How do I build Kruphix without just making it UG goodstuff?

My plan is something like card-draw/Maro tribal with mana doubling effects and X spells thrown in, but I've seen some ideas for group hug that massively favors Kruphix.

Any ideas or decklists for an actually on-theme Kruphix list?

Making the obvious lizards in Brooding Saurian and Aetherwind Basker into Dinosaurs is incredibly stupid. Regal Behemoth was far more of a miss but I'm honestly shocked it was never a Beast or Lizard Beast to begin with, it looks like Gahiji's best bro.

I guess that's artificially "pay 3 life," but... wow. Just vig and lifelink on a 5cc mythic? Fuck's sake, Wizards.

In a world of massive dinosaurs and decently strong other 5cc shit, how often are you gonna get to swing with this asshole?

Go ham with Hydras.
Challenge Mode: Go ham with Wurms

this is just painfully overdesigned to be weak

>only on your turn
>7 fucking life
>tap ability on a 5-mana creature (ie. enough cmc to be a removal magnet)

why wotc

im getting triad of fates flashbacks