Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

What's your favorite fighting style? What fighting style do you wish was mechanically stronger?

/pfg/ Link Repository: pastebin.com/JLu5xXML
Current Playtests: pastebin.com/quSzkadj

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/FYt5hcvg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Shield of swings is neat both mechanically and narratively but the damage penalty is ridicolous

>What's your favorite fighting style?

One-handed swordsmanship, like with the Aldori Swordlords.

>What fighting style do you wish was mechanically stronger?

See above, it's a damn shame how terrible that style is without heaping helpings of Scarlet Throne.

>What's your favorite fighting style?
Polearm/spear combat.
>What fighting style do you wish was mechanically stronger?
Crossbows and throwing weapons

>Crossbows
>Not strong
Only if you're dumb

>tfw come up with a fun and crazy build idea
>tfw normally it would be kinda trash to build, but I still wanna do it
>tfw find some 3pp and homebrew stuff that can make it much more viable
>tfw my meatspace group is pretty chill about allowing 3pp and homebrew, since we generally trust eachother to use good judgement and to allow other people to look at it to avoid the broken stuff
I love my group!

I mean beside requiring to be a Bolt Ace

I made a thing
pastebin.com/FYt5hcvg

>what's your favorite fighting style.
Two-handed greatsword.
>What style do you wish was mechanically stronger?
All of them. Fucking wizards.

Hey guys, I've started to browse Drivethru, and decided to look up some more of Jolly's works. Now, I know that the KoP line is well recieved here, as is Legendary Kineticists, but I would like t know how you all feel about his other product.

Preferably, the Legendary Kineticist 2, Kinetic Shinobi, Asian Archetypes: Martial, and the Eternal Mage.

Also, is Legendary Vigilante's any good, because all I generally hear from it is memes about a feat to allow other people to take Companion to the Lonely

Also, do we have an ETA on Legendary Gunslingers?

>what fighting style do you wish was mechanically stronger?
Disarm. Half the time it does nothing, the other half you're fighting creatures that can't be disarmed. It'd be cool if you could use disarm to dislocate limbs or stun appendages or something to actually reduce a creature's ability to fight regardless of its used weapons. Or hell, just bladebind which becomes a weapon-based grapple as an alternate thing you can do.

Kill yourself.

>Tauric
>Equine penis
>Not taurine
Educate yourself

Wait user, you've given me an idea!

>Publisher makes a new book "Maneuvers Remaster" or some other such name

>Introduces alternate rules to expand upon combat maneuvers

>Instead of adding feat taxing, it alters the combat maneuver progression. For each maneuver, once you reach a specific BAB threshold, you gain additional and altered uses of it

>This allows for normal 1pp maritals to learn them easily, improve their overall capability, and allow interesting interactions with the existing feats without adding bloat

Actually, I wonder if some other 3pp has already come up with this idea yet. Anyone know if such a thing exists already?

Has your character been involved in some monumental event in Golarion's history?

>sparkledogs caused WWI
I believe it

Hell if I know, but that sounds like a damn good idea user. Sounds kind of like the Dirty Trick feats, where as you progress you can inflict more severe forms of Dirty Trick. Think of the options though.

>disarm
>becomes dislocate
>becomes bladebind
>becomes sever limb

>grapple
>becomes trip and throw
>becomes suplex
>becomes piledriver

Holy shit that picture.

To answer your question, sadly my GM hasn't played any part of Golarion in the past, only the present.

But we did meet an old Lich who called Aroden a "right cunt that deserved all of it."

When the bard of my party meets ancient undead, the first thing he wants is a history lesson.

i'm actually playing in a campaign that takes place in avistan around 1030~ AR. so odds are, this wizard of mine is probably going to be basically the mother of modern magic on Golarion....

Wtf is up with this picture? does the author approve of Franz Ferdinand's assassination? (since it's aiding the shooter's (i forget his actual name) aim) does he think it was somehow harmonious with the balance of the universe or something (since there's a Tao symbol in it's wing). Does the author even realize that this event is what set off the whole domino line that results in WW1? Do they think the First World War was a good thing?

I have so many questions, and concerns...

Yes, this is someone who believe they are the furry in the picture, the symbol is a part of what they idealize themselves to be.

In a nutshell they are a furry nazi who thinks they are part angel and believes they set in motion the events of WW1.

Gavrilo Princip.

>a furry nazi who thinks they are part angel

Jesus H. of Nazareth.

I don't even, I-I want to find this person and hit him with a stupid stick until they stop being stupid.

>Gavrilo Princip.
Thank you.

user, if you make it a point to try and hunt down every stupid person on the internet to hit them with a stick, you're going to have very little time to do other things on the weekend. Ignore the stupids, and enjoy your weekend.

I can only tell you of Legendary Kineticists 2:
Fuck Yes.

It rebuilds the standard kineticist with burn becoming a strength/dex penalty (just check/skills, not attacks/damage/reflex/etc), includes a small amount of battle-burn as well, lowers the first expanded element to 6 and all-around does minor improvements here and there.

It also introduces a bunch of new archetypes. Favorite there's the Onslaught, which does require some different build methods but can be a somewhat better blaster than regular kineticists if done correctly; not by all that much but a little while also allowing a different and more dynamically-allocated blasting playstyle.

Legendary Vigilantes and its Villains extra book are pretty decent, though yes there's some possible cheese if you really want (what doesn't, including CRB though). Probably more importantly it includes a lot of universal vigilante talents, since nearly everything in 1pp was purely stalker-only or avenger-only.

>Favorite Fighting Style
Missile Spam (Homing Beam Spam also good)

>Fighting style you wish was mechanically stronger
Crossbows and Autofire.
Preferably combined.

In your personal opinion, what is the silliest monster in all 6 bestiaries?

bonus points will be awarded if the monster is both silly, but also a viable adversary

Repeated nut punches followed by axe kicks to the groin and sometimes finished with headbutts directly to the testicles.

you just gave me a boner with that grapple progression user, you better take responsability

I'll take responsibility by using my soft, wet,
STEAL COMBAT PROGRESSION
>steal item
>becomes steal weapon (meaning the target doesn't realize they've been disarmed)
>becomes steal memories (which prevents them from forming new memories and erases the last few minutes)
>becomes steal prepared spell
Because spells are only the final bits of an already prepared ritual, so you should be able to jack someone's currently casting spell to redirect the target.

>Favorite fighting style
Tough call, but sword and board is my favorite aesthetic, despite something like einhanding getting way more support. Mechanically though, I'm a sucker for unarmed, and UMonk is on my list.

>style you wish was better
Many. Crossbows (especially in the hands of an alchemist) deserve better, shields shouldn't need to spend 5 feats to be remotely useful, and thrown weapons being so janky is a crime. The biggest disappointment is TWF for me, though. A style that should emphasize being mobile, but it's actually the most immobile style of all? The fuck is this bullshit?

Double attack as a standard is just something you should get at BAB +6 with the twf feat, double slice and rend should be merged improved/greater being separate was a mistake

You had me going at weapons, but memories is just silly, should've been worn/protected item
Spell redirect is amazing tho, but should require at least a few ranks in arcane knowledge or spellcasting to properly bamboozle the spellcaster into fucking it up the way you want it to go

>memories is just silly
I dunno, there's plenty of examples of smacking a guy so hard he forgets what happened in fiction, not to mention you can already do that with Cytillesh Extract.
Nowhere near as silly as stealing attributes of something which is what I was originally going to add, which is why I made a soft and wet joke

>TEMEEEEEEEE!

But that would just be the consequence of a sneak attack to the head, not a maneuver
Also my idea would allow someone to steal worn equipment, something that is not allowed by RAW, and which would have much more severe consequences than a simple mind altering spell would

Qlippoth are my pic

Very true. There's needed to be a way to literally steal the shirt off of someone's back for years.

Spheres of Might sort of does this to an extent.

Asian Archetypes just got 5 stars plus seal of approval from EZG, I think kinetic shinobi got 4.5.

I've checked out the eternal mage myself since it sounded cool, and it's actually pretty balanced for 'infinite' spellcasting.

What about a Crossbowman? They're kinda cool.

>5 stars plus seal of approval from EZG
Didn't that guy unironically write a glowing review of the grimoire of lost souls, the book that has the glaring fetish shit, and didn't even acknowledge that there was a single issue with it?

the only new thing of jolly's in asian archetypes was the mercurial duelist, which is fucking awesome and lets you play kenshin (vacuum blade and all)

I dont normally look at or post in these threads but I just wanted OP to know I liked the image they used

Sunder. It doesn't work on anything not wearing armour or using weapons, and your team gets mad when you smash the loot. It should be able to target natural weapons and armour. Also it should deal bonus damage to Golems and constructs.

My group and my DM are relatively new to DND (been playing for 6 months max). Would our group be able to Branch out and do Pathfinder?

Yo, personally I really liked kinetic shinobi, I worked to give it a distinct feel from the base classes. Fun fact; it originally started out as an archetype that just grew into a class.

For eternal mage, I don't think it works for every game, but the internal balances in there help make sure everyone's keeping balanced.

is right about asian archetypes, that's literally the anime swordsman archetype.

Also if you haven't already, check out the city of seven seraphs kickstarter, mostly because it's like 1k away from funding, and I really wanna have this awesome setting come out!

I still feel bad for some of my suggestions for the MD, because I directly contributed to it being so goodnight talent hungry and holy fuck that was such a mistake.

Hey question on your onslaughts since an user mentioned them earlier:
How do you split those blasts up? If I have a physical composite blast, is it x blasts of 2d6+2 or 2x blasts of 1d6+1? Seems it would be the latter but just to be certain.

If they grow or get more dice added? Say you use an amplification for bigger dice from 2d6 to 3d6s, or use complex negative admixture, are those all split off as extra dice, so you have negative blasts and normal blasts? Is +1/die +1 per 2d6 if that's "one die" grown from a meteor blast, or is it +2 damage per 2d6?

And if doubled with the high level ability, do you double the base, or everything after accounting for burned blaster and kinetic railgun?

Basically I want to know just how many shots I can put into the air since it's the closest thing to a force missile mage.

It's the latter, yeah.

And I've always played that as separate dice, yeah.

My endgame statement here is that if you think it would add more blasts, it almost certainly would, as pic related was the inspiration for the class.

Hey, at least both books give new ways to get vigi talents.

True, I just look back in hindsight and think it probably would have been better to suggest that at 11th level, rather than the mandatory "hope you have two Iaijutsu talents bitch" ability, it was just an automatic Greater Weapon of the Chosen effect, so you didn't need to take that particular talent.

So in the case of complex negative admixture, one basically has to target 2 blasts at a target, minimum, in order to generate the third negative blast?

I am very okay with this. Thanks for the answer.

Yeah, but to be fair the actual content of the book is really good. It could have been a staple at a lot of tables if Augunas didn't beat off on the pages.

Have some beams in the middle of splitting into more beams.

What if we made some new spirits to replace the really egregious spirits from Grimoire, make subtle changes to the less bad spirits, and maybe port the older 3.5 spirits to the new system?

Would it surprise you to learn that picture was originally titled "guaranteed replies"?

Does stopping the end of the world despite nobody knowing of it count?

>Not linking the prequel
user pls.

To be fair I think I just don't like his reviewing style, and I definitely don't like a lot of his opinions on balance. Some of it I could agree on (advanced grip should have been the "let them do Str-einhanding" talent that didn't boost your offhand, imo) but a lot of it just looks like dumb bullshit.

Is the paracosmist summoner overpowered?

As a furfag, all I can say is HOLY SHIT KILL IT WITH FIRE GAS THIS FAGGOT PLEASE!

I need a shop with Newton replaced with Augunas, and the book replaced with one of his rulebooks

Historical revisionism at it's best: Angel-devil-Taoist-King sparkledog has a man murder the archduke of Austria-Este, Super Mario.

You're talking about the binder? Because if you are, there was a binder-like class that was in production, the "Harrow Deck" Medium, but which was - judging from the last forum posts - scrapped because it took up too much space.
Obviously, we need more fat warriors in our game, rather than a beloved mechanic that people asked for many times.

Aldori one handed with crane style.

>Would it surprise you to learn that picture was originally titled "guaranteed replies"?
Well he wasn't wrong. But that does not mean that the concerns the image raises are no less legit. After all if you know your opinions are controversial and make light of that, it doesn't make your opinions any less controversial.

>murder the archduke of Austria-Este, Super Mario.
pretty sure that's their best attempt to portray (pic.).

Though the drawing does look more like Mario now that I look at it.

>Someone destroyed this glorious mustache
Truly a great loss

Truly

How do you feel about societies that regulate the kind of spells someone can have/sell (as scrolls, to learn, etc.). In most of my settings any lawful society with a sufficiently large government rightly controls what sort of spells it's magical population knows. Fireball as an example.

If you're a wizard or similar you need to produce you spell books for inspection. If they find spells on the banned list in it they'll remove the pages until you leave the city and return to you the removed pages (And even cast mend to reattach them).

If they do find the spells in your book they will also probably subject you to magical scrutiny on whether you have any such spell prepared to stuff like scrolls and wands. Scrolls and wands get confiscated.

Now this only applies to certai spells. Most people aren't even high enough level to know most banned spells. Something like scorching ray isn't banned as long as you pay for a permit as it is considered viable for self defense. Fireball is considered not something that can be used for self defense since it just explodes. It's a case by case basis but I generally produce a list for people when they enter a regulated city.

Foreigners are also subjected to tighter scrutiny.

Of course some people determined by the government are allowed to have what ever they want. However most of these people work for the government.

Is the Broodmaster archetype for Summoner any good?

... Gas him, user?

Not especially. You can do better with just the one eidolon, or by going Master Summoner for full minion spam.

It's bad

>The Furred Reich

This is not okay.

Is it bad from level one to begin with, or can I make it work for a couple levels?

This is essentially near impossible to properly regulate. Plus, this will essentially garuntee that Sorcerers will be highly sought after and quickly taken into the control of crime syndicates

Is there a way to attack multiple enemies during a mounted charge?

I'm building a lancer and I envision some sort of anime style charge where I pierce through multiple bads.

1pp only for now.

Level 1 is the only point where it's decent enough for combat.

Basically, if your going to be a Broodmaster, you should forgo combat nearly all together, and instead use your Eidolons for utility and scouting. Maybe also as wand/scroll monkeys

>Shota Eidolon
Everyday We Stray Further From God's Light

It stops being useful past level 5, if your dividing levels across Eidolons evenly.

If you instead have a singularly focused combat Eidolons, with one significantly weaker one built around support or utility, it could work

>people talking about Asian archetypes reminded me that I want to play a Mercurial Duelist because I am weaboo trash
>mfw every time Jolly content is allowed so is PoW
>Bushi templated initiators are infinitely better at the weebshit
>mfw games without PoW are almost universally 1pp only, including my currant group

I can't really be mad, since I greatly enjoy Mithral Current, but it still stings a little y'know?

You imply we were ever in His light to start with.

This is the one archetype that I desperately want to work. Unfortunately its just not good enough.

Unlike Pack lord druids who can get boon companion to keep things in working order for at least a little while longer, the brood master just won't cut it even if you go half elf and put every feat in extra evolution.

At best, you can do ripper swarm but you won't be deploying a varied swarm of raveners, tyrant guards and guargoyles anytime soon.

user, just to let you know know, if I were a DM, or had any confidence to run a game, I'd use those rules.

Personally, while I like much of PoW, I'm just not a fan of manuevers in general as a mechanic.

Then again, I like the Wardancer from DDS, so what do I know?

Do you think God stays in Heaven because He fears what He has created?

This is actually something I have thought of, the sorcerer bit.

How they determine whether someone is truthful is just that. A permanent circle of truth. You can tell when someone passes their save inside one. You require they choose to fail the save, then answer a series of questions, then depending on their answers send them on their way.

Why do players freak out so much about possibly dying after they hit level 6-7? Death by this point doesn't really matter, it's just an expensive debuff. If you have a paladin in the party it might not even be expensive, just inconvenient.

I had my level 8 party, who had a paladin with Ultimate Mercy in it, basically turn themselves inside out with how butthurt they were over their alchemist dying.

What's complex negative admixture from? I'm looking at an Onslaught Blaster for my next character.

Waitaminute, I just went a looked again at the Beginning myself, and found this stuff
>Regardless of the number of eidolons in the brood, each eidolon has the same base attack bonus and base saving throw bonuses, but the rest of the eidolons’ base statistics must be divided between the eidolons,

>Example: A 2nd-level broodmaster can summon two eidolons. Each eidolon has 1 Hit Dice, BAB +2, +3 on its two good saves and +0 on its bad save.

I don't remember this from the original release of Ultimate Magic. Was this Errata? Since you can still have a not only a Full BAB eidolon, but also 2, doesn't this make it somewhat better by virtue of having both combat and action-economy coverage?

But how the fuck are you supposed to even find a Sorcerer when the Syndicates are sheltering them, and would likewise use illegal means to counter federal attempts at control?

Death is supposed to be serious and not everyone plays in campaigns where GM's allow easy "just pay 5000 GP resurrection" if they even allow resurrections at all.

How the fuck do you tell someones a Sorcerer/Psion/Kinetcist whatever just by looking at them.

You don't. Everyone entering the inner city (the regulated part) passes through a zone of truth and has to answer a couple questions.

Basically magical customs officers for 'are you capable of casting magical spells?', 'do you have with you any items capable of casting magical spells?', 'do you have the intention of procuring items to cast magical spells once you enter the city?', etc. You would answer 10 questions or so then be let through.

>tfw our characters have started to die at a reasonable pace, but we always have a 5k gp diamond on hand to bring them back.

Are you ever going to update your guides (especially the Kineticist guide) with some of the newer options from Leg. Kineticists 2, or is it too weird to review options you wrote yourself?

I allowed the guy to take Ultimate Mercy. He doesn't have to pay 5k gp. He just has to take a temporary negative level and can bring him back to life on the spot. He doesn't need to spend a diamond. Heck he can do it before a cleric can.

>where GM's allow easy "just pay 5000 GP resurrection"
I have never encountered a GM who bars all forms of resurrection in pathfinder.

Friend of mine want to run a session of Pathfinder for me and two other mates (me and one of them will be 1st time players in RPG ever).
Setting is ancient egypt themed, so we're all hyped and want to sink into that world.

I checked classes avaliable, and I'm thinking about starting with a shaman.
Backstory would be simple: my character would get near-death-experience because of exhaustion on dessert during his travel. In last grasp of consciousness, he'd pray for mercy to gods. Fact is, that one of his ansestors was a shaman, but he in person never showed any kind of that abilities (he was regular human, small trader, noone more). Those abilities manifested that time (uncontrolled), and he was posessed by spirit of Bast (or just one of her minions), who kept him alive, but for price - spirit is controling his body as long as spirit/familiar is present.
During adventure he would be competiting to get control over his body with spirit, but for most of time it will be spirit talking and doing stuff - most of dialogues would be in 3rd person, spirit and character would have diffrent motives and vievs on people/quests etc.

What do you think?

> 'are you capable of casting magical spells?', 'do you have with you any items capable of casting magical spells
So Psionicists, Kineticists, Avowed, Monks with Quigong Powers, Alchemists, etc slip by. You need a lot more than 10 easy questions unless you intend to hold people up all day.

Yeah, but that ends up being completely useless against people that are born citizens who are capable of magic.

Plus, this also makes it so that there will be increased business for the criminal syndicates to smuggle casters into the city as well.

Plus, a caster could just erase/hold his allies memories of him, smuggle himself in by hiding in a crate or barrel or something, then either ditch those losers once he gets in or restore their memory once they leave customs.

Magic isn't firearms you dumbass, its are infinitely more difficult to detect and suppress by their very nature

Strong enough people can just ignore the zone of truth

>So Psionicists, Kineticists, Avowed, Monks with Quigong Powers, Alchemists, etc slip by. You need a lot more than 10 easy questions unless you intend to hold people up all day.
Probably 15 would be able to cover most things actually, or catch all ones.

"Do you have any form of magical prowess?", "Do you have any items or have the intention of procuring any items while in the city that can produce a form of magic effect?"

Then if they answer yes you go into the more detailed questions. You start super general because 95% of people answer "No" to both of these and pass through.

The first questions covers all form of Su abilities and racial magical abilities.