Playing Chaotic Neutral, Tips?

First time playing a chaotic neutral character. I tend to stick with CG's but decided to spice up my life.
Any good resources or tips for me running the character?

Basic char specs:
>Female, Half-moon-elf Sorcerer
>Esoteric and secretive religion equates exploring the senses (taste, smells, feelings, actions, and sexuality) with worship of the gods.
>Looking for adventure and coin, a traveler through the lands.

Other urls found in this thread:

dnd.rem.uz/Advanced D&D (unsorted)/AD&D 2E - Accessory - DMGR6 - The Complete Book of Villains.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Have more to your character than religion.

Any dipshit that would wear anything remotely close to that shirt would never be allowed at my table

/tread

Really if all you know about your PC is their alignment your not playing a character your playing a meme

Fur sure, that is why I am here. Planning on running her a little like jack sparrow, but again new to CNs so no idea what I am doing

I do not want meme shit, want to play a decent character. I have the frame work but need to flesh things out.

Really, it sounds like your just wanting to play some sort of erp elf.
You should just embrace it, Slaanesh your way away. Sounds more CE mind you.

IF you really want to play a sex elf that has a personalty I tend to do the "Shadow Boxing" method. Think about my past games, grab a prewritten advenuter or just watch a movie and think about what your PC would of done instead.

That's the worst shirt I've ever seen.

You know that the chick wearing that shirt would be up for anal.

hyeaah dood high five bro

For sure bro. Totally Tubelra

I'm picturing a hedonist. Someone who only seeks pleasure and new, enjoyable experiences. Maybe half-elves are infertile in the setting and she lives this way because she believes without being able to continue the bloodline, something that could be especially important to sorcerers, there's no point to living a more stable life. Maybe it's a way of rebelling against her stodgy elf family who looked down on her human blood.
As a traveler she may generally try to keep a low profile and avoid becoming well-known so she doesn't feel trapped within others' expectations of her. On the other hand, she wouldn't mind souring someone's opinion of her if she doesn't think it'll have any long term effect. For example if she was leaving a town with no plans to ever return she wouldn't do something that would motivate them to hunt her down, but would feel fine if the townspeople think of her as someone they wouldn't let come back. She wouldn't do it out of malice and doesn't have any desire to hurt people, but isn't set out to be a good person either,
With the party she would probably start travelling with them for convenience or because of some sort of interest she takes in them. Maybe they're just going the same direction and she likes having some conversation. To make sure things go smoothly you should have her develop a more permanent reason to stick with them. It can be a simple as her liking them. You can get some good roleplay opportunities with her growing to acknowledge her connection to the party and finally having something to tie her down a bit. Maybe you rebel against it to maintain your freedom, maybe you embrace it and stand alongside your new family no matter what.

Look at order and chaos as how your character deals with society and its rules. A Lawful character seeks to establish law and order to a place in chaos or else to defend it against those who seek to destroy that. A chaotic person is there to shake things up and free people from tyranny, dogma, and rigidity. As a neutral character you neither seek to make a better world nor to impose yourself upon it to selfish ends. Therefore a chaotic neutral character disrupts the status quo wherever they go with no regard to improving or ruining the world around them. Either learn the rules, laws, customs, and status quo so as to be heretical in a way that makes the people your character encounters question their own ways and possibly change or else never bother to learn them and dance to your own tune yet cause no lasting harm (and therefore bring the rules into question). No harm, no foul, but also no real greater moral basis.

>tips for me running the character?
Captain Jack Sparrow and Chiana from Farscape are good examples of Chaotic Neutral.
But that's just playing an alignment and you sound like you want to play a good character.

>Any good resources?
How do you get good characters?
Good characterization.
How do you get good characterization?

The Complete Book of Villains.

dnd.rem.uz/Advanced D&D (unsorted)/AD&D 2E - Accessory - DMGR6 - The Complete Book of Villains.pdf

It is the single greatest characterization tool I have ever seen.
It really helps you design a campaign, too.
The advice works for any system.

I will never stop shilling this thing.

Good luck.

How about this shirt?
It is the best thing to come from an alignment thread.

If you're thinking about your character's alignment before coming up with their backstory, personality traits, quirks and mannerisms etc. something is wrong. You can't play an alignment, but you can play a character. Instead of concentrating on 1 paragraph alignment descriptions in PHB, make an actual character THEN slap a label on it (or don't; our DM is not using alignments for anything besides demons and angels).

Since you seem to be new at this, try answering some sample questions about your character. Marcel Proust questionnaire (pic) is a good start, but you can use whatever else you can find.Marcel Proust

Fucking hate snipping tool.

Its a type of shirt someone who dosn't go outside would buy in XXL .
At least OP t.shirt has a layer of 'wit'

I want to ride the line, Sensual but not a total elf-sloot. The shadow boxing is a good call, I will do so.

A hedonist? Not really, I want to throw in some internal conflict. She is chaotic so seeks freedom and self determination. Although her religious path is one of sensuality and pleasure, it is trapping as it is dogmatic (Daily rituals, formal ways of experiencing the sensations, a duty to engage the world a particular way.
So she has inherent tension, though she has freedom, it had a double edge she would wish to fight. There is no external force oppressing her, it is the very way she reveres the world and experiences pleasure.

Strong advice, I will bake it in.

True, I do not want the alignment to dictate my character, but enhance and flesh her out. Was thinking of seeking a list just Ike this. Thanks!

Here you go. To summarize:

>Neutral: You generally care about friends and family
>Chaotic: You are generally spontaneous.

Therefore:
>"I will help those I personally know without expecting recompense, though it would be nice; anyone else will have to compensate me in some way. I will do so without regard for laws or social mores - I will not necessarily ignore such; rather, they simply will not enter into my consideration."

Perhaps it's more amusing in context.
But, I can't argue that it's not generally unwearable.

This is a very childish and basically wrong understanding of alignments. Pictures like this is why there is so much fight over them, because retards like him spew wrong ideas everywhere.

The picture really fails to understand ALL chaotic alignments, all neutrals, especially lawful and chaotic neutral.

I agree. Alignment is meant to be a tiny thing and people read far too much into it.
Even when I play D&D I tend not to even think about alignment until its something that comes up in game (Spells and such that deal with it directly)

Okay buddy, I'll explain to you what CN actually means, but first what it doesn't mean:

1) Is not the "I can do evil or good whenever I want because I am CN"
2) Is not "I am so random xD"
3) Is not "I steal from the party"

Chaotic means that you value personal freedom, your gut over rigidity, you like horizontal power structures over vertical ones, you don't see value in order just by order in itself, etc.

Neutrality means that you are not altruistic but you don't want to harm others just because, you won't go out of your way to help people you have never met or harm them (unless there is a very good reason to do either). Neutrality can also mean that you are indifferent in the axis of good and evil, or it is not a concern of you.

Examples of very different characters that are close to CN (Aligments is a D&D things, real life people and movie characters don't really have them):

Jack Sparrow (at least in the first movie): The thing he value the most is freedom, he doesn't like to be told what to do, he is "selfish" but doesn't go around doing evil to others and he doesn't like power structures.

Stereotypical American redneck: They value their freedom, they want the government out of their lives, they care about their small community and family only, they love feeling of not needing the authorities (this house doesn't call 911, "I have guns so I don't have to call the police", prepper shit too), basically they just want to be left alone because freedom and the ability of forging their own way is what they value the most.

Non of these examples are perfect, because no one is perfectly an alignment, alignments are just a description of your actions and also a spectrum, you don't need to be the perfect paladin to be LG, but if you value order and generally want to help people in need then you are probably also LG.

>Jack Sparrow (at least in the first movie):
Ok lets take first movie only. No games No other movies
>The thing he value the most is freedom:
I would say the thing he values most is infamy. If he wanted just freedom he would of given up on the pearl and just got another ship. But the black pearl is the best and fastest ship in the world.
Perfect for "Capn' Jack Sparrow"

>he doesn't like to be told what to do, he is "selfish" but doesn't go around doing evil to others and he doesn't like power structures.
Dude is a pirate, he has pillaged and done all the other nasty things, including killing people, he may not of violently raped someone but got a girl so drunk he could do what he wanted.
>3) Is not "I steal from the party"
He without remorse fucks over will for his own ends.
The zombie pirates where HIS crew. Can stuff really be that different under Barbosa .
I feel that the crew where more upset with Jakes lust for fame over profit

While he would STEAL from the party as well as selling them up the river.

(alignment shouldn't be thought about until you have built the person. Even better, the GM should set the it for the player based on how his world see them)

Play a character, not an alignment you fucking shitmonkey. Remove all concepts of alignment from your play.

If you can't do this, either:
Quit playing
Kill yourself

Well maybe I am miss remembering the movie but I recall him being more of a disney pirate than a real one.

The part about the pearl is just personal motivation, he wants a fast ship, valuing your personal freedom doesn't mean that you don't have other goals or that you just value your personal freedom.

But I guess if he is like a real pirate then he's not neutral.

>He without remorse fucks over will for his own ends.

I just realised I remember nothing about the movie, I thought it ended in them recovering the ship and keeping the crew. Holy shit my memory is bad.

Well, he is a disney pirate. But lot of it is implied.
There is the scene where he is slapped by a few ladies in a row and its played for laughs. But he most of done somthing wrong.
He then jokes about How he didnt deserved that one. Pumping up his own fame.

> the ship and keeping the crew.
Well he keeps the crew they get during the movie but I dont think swan and turner stay with him... but I dont remember that for sure.

Maybe it comes down to what do you think when he says
>Take what you can, give nothing back.

All people flow back and forth between LG to CE.
The Batman Chart works best for this.

>Playing Chaotic Neutral, Tips?
I think as I been saying. Play your Sex-Elf. Play her hunger for coin and senses.
Play her reluctance to throw away her humanity (Elfanity?) and embrase these values that her god holds.

But make sure others on the table are ok with you playing an magical reem

Actually it is a concise wording of how the alignments have traditionally been defined since around mid-2nd Edition AD&D, after they stopped being cosmic gangs that you aligned yourself to and instead became character descriptors.

It's basically , but with less words, which was the point.

Nope. The game I have played the most is 2e, in 2e chaotic neutral meant something completely different than it does in later editions or what I wrote or what is written in the screenshot.

Chaotic neutral was the aligment of animals, people purely driven by instinct and randomness. It literally said that it was the aligment of mentally unstable people in the manual. And there is an example in the PHB of what a person of each alignment would have done in a particular instance, for the chaotic neutral it says that it would have thrown a coin to the air and let the coin decide. The manual even recommended you not to play CN.

Like I said, mid-2nd Edition or so. At some point in the mid to late 90s, Chaotic Neutral had come to mean something other than lunatics and madmen. And of course, starting in 3rd Edition (and continuing in 5th), Chaotic Neutral had expanded to do more than just "lolsorandumb".