Exalted General - /exg/

What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: mengtzu.github.io/exalted/sakuya.html
. It’ll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums.

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Core and Splats
mediafire.com/folder/b54o6teut3fx6/Exalted_3e

>Arms of the Chosen Previews
dropbox.com/s/15xddoahzedtkwu/Arms of the Chosen Preview.docx?dl=0
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuam9lbVJBWFhJM2s/view

>Dragonblooded Charm Previews:
theonyxpath.com/dragon-blooded-charms-preview-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/the-elemental-aura-dragon-blooded-pt-2-exalted/

>Other Ex3 Resources
pastebin.com/fG1mLMdu

>Resources for Older Editions
pastebin.com/GihMPwV8

New NPCs and a Behemoth rework
pastebin.com/d8erArwm
pastebin.com/fPSSNQZL
pastebin.com/2pPpjjv5
pastebin.com/fLRD51Hf
pastebin.com/VwCdMgCG
pastebin.com/RmUiuBKR
pastebin.com/MbTG7ZH6
pastebin.com/ccPnXHQz

Previous thread: Which combat ability do you use, why?
Which defence ability do you use, why?
What do you think of Celestial Bliss Trick?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/exalted/comments/3zd552/a_crafters_experience_with_crafting
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

this is a cute exalted
i wanna headpat her

>Which combat ability do you use, why?

Martial Arts. Often like the thematics.

>Which defence ability do you use, why?

Often dodge, as it works with MA unlike Melee.

>What do you think of Celestial Bliss Trick?

Overrated

How do you feel about MA/Brawl separation in 3e?

Wondering why the fuck it didn't happen sooner.

I'm sad I can no longer use Heaven Thunder Hammer on nearly all MA's, but now MA is good for once and Brawl let's me play as Jotaro, so I ain't complaining.

Exalted.

Go punch important people in the gut, raise an army, raise a city-eating tyrant lizard, raise a cult of orphans who shoot fire from their eyes. Preach about the glories of the Sun and topple the Immaculate Order's grasp on the common man. Topple a Great Dynastic House, get yourself a Sidereal maid. What's a Sidereal? Figure that out, that'll help you a lot. See things nobody has seen in millenia, build things nobody has heard of in two. Fall in love so hard you sink a subcontinent. Marry that brown silver-tattoo'd girl at dawn and hold hands on top of the roofs of the steaming workshops of Nexus. Get fucked. Get fucked by a Deathlord and swear revenge in words so potent your eyes turn white from power. Scream "FUCK YOU!" so hard it makes demons around you explode. Try to bring her back, fail atrociously and curse the forefathers of Creation at the laws they set. Suplex a celestial lion at the gates of Heaven when they don't let you in, make a trip to the Underworld on a boat that sails faster than despair to search for her ghost. Learn to stitch spirit to flesh and turn the armies of your nemesis against him. Ride a motherfucking elemental dragon to battle and dive bomb into the Deathlord's corpse fortress so hard every pious man in the Direction falls over from fear. Go berserk. Lose your shit completely. Find yourself clutching a broken skull, drenched in blood and gore and impotent rage bleeding out of you. Sit on that same roof in Nexus and miss her so much your soul might fall into lethe. Watch the sun rise again and know that it's never going to be over for you.

then become the villain of the campaign

to expand on what this guy is saying:

intention of system: to make a major project you first break things down into a series of minor and moderate projects refining and building components.

reality of the system: skyrim's :make 10k iron daggers"

exalted: no explaining things, details restrict mah snowflake's story. theres no wrong way to play.
...except yours REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
literally or figuratively?

>but now MA is good for once
What the actual fuck are you talking about?
If you played your cards right you could be fucking ridiculous with MA

On that last part: just don't lift her veil while you do it and you should be good. Seriously, if demons veil themselves it's better not to inquire about it in any way.

Also, talking about 3cds, I should summon Madelrada to wear a cute, very short maid dress and serve drink for the next calibration party...

But is Amalion or Ligier better Manse maker?

>Amalion’s preferred form is that of a massive, cube-shaped manse constructed of basalt, brass and ebony, inscribed with ten thousand secret blasphemies in beautiful, delicate script over every surface.
>mfw

Actually, in the Ask a Dev thread on OPP, you totally can use Melee alongside MA. You just can't use the two different abilities to boost the same action. So you can stop using MA for a turn or two while in a Form as long as it's not enhancing the same attack, or the same defense.

This includes SP form, so you can use Melee on your turn, but you have to attack with MA on your sword's turn.

>Madelrada
>wear a cute, very short maid dress and serve drink for the next calibration party

>Madelrada appears as a massive woman, tall and barrel- chested, whose indigo skin absorbs the light. Her eyes gleam with blunt, authoritative intellect, and her hair is cut in a military crop. Both are dull gray and flecked with rust. At all times, she attires herself in nigh-impenetrable armor of ivory and tarnished bronze.

The true issue is that the Craft XPs are spent on crafting something.

So to create a Glorious Solar Pump for your plucky princess wannabe girlfriend, you need to craft twenty wooden sandals personalized to twenty different characters, then five metal boots for your party... and then you can craft your Orichalcum high heels.

If you want to craft again, you need to start again at wooden sandals.

This is utterly broken by the very premises of the system.

In 2.Xe?

Unless you where Solar hero? No it was pretty much a trap option. Your native charms did better shit 9 out of 10 times. For a DB it was good, but not the others. You only took MA when you wanted to do weird shit.

bronze's only mistake was not killing the solars sooner. the sids spent too long arguing, by the time they acted the solars had already set the groundwork for every single apocolypse the shogonate had to deal with

Scroll of the Monk

>by the time they acted the solars had already set the groundwork for every single apocolypse the shogonate had to deal with

Can you use Occult Excellency for Sorcery?

Recall that a Manse requires about 200 man years of labour per dot to raise. Amalion can raise such a Manse "With but a word" while Ligier hasn't been given any comparable abilities.

baloran crusade is result of contagon is result of deathlords is result of solars being assholes combined with having previously poked at the neverborn enough to wake(ish) them.

if usurpation happened before the black nadar concordant creation would be orders of magnitude larger than this remnant and dragonkings would still be a thing. (of course it does nothing to help all those other races and gods that got genocided after the primordial war, but it's still better than nothing)

but if you've got a couple centuries to wait then who'd make the better end result?

>dragonkings would still be a thing
I thought Dragon Kings got fucked in the Primordial War?

To be fair, some primordials fuck very aggressively

>Control Spells: All sorcerers have at least one control spell. A control spell is a signature spell at which a sorcerer excels beyond all others, imbuing it with some special measure of her mystic will and personal prowess.
>Many spells enjoy special benefits when selected as a control spell, and many shaping rituals (see below) give special benefits to a sorcerer’s control spell.
>At least one
So can you have more than one Control Spell in a Circle?

Shut up, dumbass. Unusual Hide is probably the stupidest thing in the book. If you want unarmored soak use Resistance or Martial Arts instead of trying to cheat the mote system. This is the same kind of shitty logic that leads to people doing workings to give themselves 10 dexterity.

mostly they got fucked in the aftermath as sol abandoned them for his new favorates and solars pushed them farther and farther into obscurity mostly by accident. and then the contagon raped them so hard nobody was left to uplift the new births and they're just animals now

I love the binding contracts

Yes.

>Dragon Kings
WE

outsider here
what are you two talking about

There wouldn't necessarily be any significant difference in the quality of the end result. Having either Amalion or Ligier spend a couple of centuries constructing a manse would be a colossal waste of either demon's time and talents, though. Amalion could do it much, much faster, while Ligier could spend those centuries creating things that others can't create.

solars are all doomed to eventually go crazy and become monsters, limitbreaking is the least of it(just the rest is too longterm to really come up in play)
the unnecessarily prejudicially named "usurpation "(seriously, where was that term during the primordial war? so solarcentric) happened more or less because it had to eventually.

there was even a prophecy about it with the choices being "lesser but safe" vs "much glory but will almost certainly destroy the world within your lifetime" so the sids and dragonbloods went with the safe path and sealed away the solars.

(lunars have a pale shadow of the solar's problem but you can see it in their elders too. siderals are a stereotypical bureaucracy and so become less competent and more factional the more of them try to work together, and dragonbloods are hardly touched at all but tend to grow into stereotypes of their element and of dynasties in general although their line is blurry as to how much is culture vs curse)

It's worth bearing in mind that demons are perfectly capable of being pissed off at things they were required to do once the binding is over. A 3CD may not have an easy time taking any kind of revenge, seeing as how they're trapped in Hell most of the time, but an enemy like that still isn't something to take lightly.

>there was even a prophecy about it with the choices being "lesser but safe" vs "much glory but will almost certainly destroy the world within your lifetime" so the sids and dragonbloods went with the safe path and sealed away the solars.
It was "Lessened but safe" vs "50/50 on either fixing everything and getting laughed out for suggesting something that obviously wasn't possible we're Solars we're fucking perfect leading to everything getting ruined"

so dragon blood best exalted?

Exigent of Little Death bext Exalted.

Okay, now stop this dumb meme rollplaying. Sidereals make terrible decisions eitherway and humans are terrible beings eitherway and solars only have more time to become more terrible.

>"50/50 on either fixing everything and getting laughed out for suggesting something that obviously wasn't possible we're Solars we're fucking perfect leading to everything getting ruined"
It was never stated or even suggested that it was a 50/50 chance. I'm pretty sure that 1E Sidereals book, at least, specifically said that there was a small chance of everything turning out okay if Sids tried to just guide Solars to a better path.

TLDR
technically inaccurate but if it helps you might think of it as: whenever you limitbreak a tiny piece of you never comes back from it. eventually you just never stop.
this process takes centuries, so even the best and most noble solars "either die heroes or live to become the villain"(for reference, see the original golden lord of ang teng).
the reason immaculates hunt all solars is because the only chance to prevent this is to kill them while they're still young. solars think they're persecuted because this means killing them while they're still heroes. the immaculate's lie is a kindness to spare the monks who preform this wholly necessary cull.
they hunt lunars because solars have them tied up with leashes so you can't have lunars hanging about growing powerful enough to stop you putting down rabid solars.

Don't worry, there is always a backdoor. Once you can summon her, you can take three things from her and be forever more save.
Also once you figured out a demon it's easy to play them.

weakest, most numerous, least crazy.
so probably the best to be running things since it's not worth losing the masterrace entirely as even corrupt bottom tier exalts are really really good at running things, and there are some problems/threats mortals simply can't handle.
...unfortunately there are also problems too big for dragonbloods(most but not quite all of which can be blamed on mad solar godkings) and it doesn't help that dragonbloods as a group are fading with time and breeding.

pretty sure odds were WAY worse than 50/50

not a problem in the first age as liger was probably *constantly* tied up washing glorious solar underwear and never had the chance to plot vengeance ;) wouldn't want to be a slayer made out of that firstage guy's exaltation but that's not really firstage guy's problem now is it.

and add on top of that that siderals have a set lifespan and carjack was told he would live to see the ending of two ages(usurpation was the first end)

First Ages > Age of Sorrows > Age of Tumult

Age of Sorrows wasn't a thing.

>Summoning: (Obscurity 2/5)
How did this shit work again?

One per circle.

Commonality of name and nature/commonality of accurate information.

RoGD2: Roster for demons and ghosts, page 25.

>Mortal sorcerers initiate into the Terrestrial Circle by mastering a shaping ritual, which they may purchase as a five-dot Merit that requires Occult 3. The first spell they learn becomes their control spell. Most mortal sorcerers only ever attain one ritual, but at the Storyteller’s discretion, they might be able to gain more from the same sorcerous archetype, or even different ones.
So Exalted don't need to actually do the effort of getting a shaping ritual, when they gain the sorcery charm they automatically gain a shaping ritual in universe?

>I'm not trying to break the game, I just really like the idea of a shirtless build. I'm not planning on using armor, and I'm not gonna do any Iron Skin Concentration cheese.
Resistance has a charm for this: Diamond Body Prana.

Now take three guesses which charm tree that belongs to.
If you want a shirtless build, don't get hit in thefirst place.

It most certainly was, but I guess the last two are the same.

>So Exalted don't need to actually do the effort of getting a shaping ritual
They do.
>when they gain the sorcery charm they automatically gain a shaping ritual in universe?
No. Sorcery charms aren't a thing in universe (like the other charms), it just represents the fact that the character went on some kind of spirit quest and found a way to use Sorcery, the means of which is represented by the initiation they pick.

>intention of system: to make a major project you first break things down into a series of minor and moderate projects refining and building components

Not only is that not the intention of the system, it's cheating. A major project is a major project, not 5 basic projects strung together.

D E A D G A M E

E

A

D

G

A

M

E

5 base projects strung together BY MAKING THAT ITSELF INTO A MAJOR PROJECT

it doesn't get you out of doing a major project, its just that you aren't supposed to be nonsensically making 10k wooden desks to build craft xp for your warstrider

reddit.com/r/exalted/comments/3zd552/a_crafters_experience_with_crafting
The only craft talk that I've seen is based on actually playing the game and using it.

Wasn't it 2 for the likelihood you'd know enough to call it and 5 for actually knowing all the relevant lore?

Age of Sorrows Time of Tumult

Isn't the setting kinda mashing those two together as a single age who's name the authors didn't agree on?

Also OOC it's weird that the "first" age is at minimum actually the second but I get why it was done that way IC.

Best for what? If you mean "what would you choose to be irl" then I'd definitely go with dragonblood though. Both for the sanity, ability to lead a semi-normal life if we were in the exalted setting while having enough power not to be an extra since mortals are all fucked, and the dynasty feature so my kids would probably exalt too. MWAHAHA world domination.

The major project itself encapsulates all the work that goes into the project. It is the entirety of the project unto itself. Hence the name "major project" an not, say, "final assembly".

Parting out one job into multiple steps is even less the intent than making a bunch of footstools to prepare for building an airship.

Thanks a bunch, time was somewhere in my head writing that out, couldn't just place it right.

Which is useless because it is Scroll of the Monk. Using it in a serious context here makes people laugh at you.

Resistance is good, what are you talking about? I mean if he was using 2.Xe I'd understand.

So when you become exalted you become imortal?
I mean if you reincarnate it means youre imortal right?

>So when you become exalted you become imortal?
No, or at least Solaris don't. They live a long time though.
>I mean if you reincarnate it means youre imortal right?
Your exaltation=/=you. The next person to get it experiences some of your memories at most.

Exalts don't become immortal, they get infused with divine power. A "Mortal" is a person incapable of channeling essence, so an otherwise regular human who can perform sorcery is not, by definition, mortal.

Does anybody remember offhand 2e's age and essence cap rules for dragonbloods siderals and lunars? I don't have my books on hand

They like to call it "past self" but you've got no more in common with the exaltation's previous owner than the guy who used to own your sword. exalted has a 2 part soul, hun is reincarnated and has nothing to do with exaltations at all and po disolves into general lifeforce and is remade from scratch for each lifetime. the only exalts that has either of those in common with their so called "past life" are alchemicals(they even get *both* because autochuthon binds them to a soulgem)

it's just that solars weren't good about facing mortality so they and people who knew them like to play pretend. it helps that sometimes memories leave imprints on the exaltation that the newguy can pick up, but lytek is usually good about scrubbing stains and marks before sending them back out.
for some reason the authors seem to also like to forget this fact and treat it like you're reincarnated. /shrug

Did your character ever fell in love with a fairfolk ?

Remember the rules myself? No. Remember roughly in the rulebook where they are so I can screencap it for you? Yes. Here you go.

fhtagn. even though nobody plays and future books are a myth our hate keeps it sleeping until death withers. now join me in bitching about holdmork Ia Ia holden is a jewfag ;)

Thanks. :)

I wasn't sure if they were the same for all types

Does anyone still plays this in real Life?

I've got a game going on where all the PCs have amnesia and they're trying to discover who they were.

I'm also working on a game with a co-ST for a huge DB game that's supposed to start next week but we don't know if we'll still be here after Hurricane Irma.

Wait
I tought all americans had these undergraund rooms for when hurricanes come
Also why arent you running for your life
I Pity americans one hurricane and byebye mai hause

South Florida has a water table 8 feet below the ground. Or 2.5 metres for you Europoors. So no underground rooms.

In Florida underground mostly doesn't exist, if you dig more than 10 feet you're probably hitting water.

I'm not on the coast so I'm not terribly worried, worst case we'll lose power for a while and have some flooding.

Why can't you have demon of the first circle or summon elemental as control spells?

Both of those are already so useful giving them a control spell would make them even more ridiculous. Or conversely if you nerfed them and gave them their current level of power as their Control spell bonus then literally no one would ever pick up anything other than Summon X as their Control Spells, they're that useful.

So them lacking a Control spells makes it so people actually have to make somewhat of a choice instead of just mindlessly picking up Summon spells since you aren't gaining a Control Spell bonus and maybe you could pick it up later.

so what's the deal with the abyssal's?
what are they, what created them?

Solar killed and imprisoned Primordials. Killed are called Neverborn and imprisoned are called Yozi.

when first age came to an end Solar Exalted became insane, corrupt etc etc. so they were all killed by Dragonblooded and Sidereal Exalted (exalts of destiny and fate). Solar souls were locked into Jade prison so they can't reincarnate.

Neverborn and Yozi said "hey you know those 300 Solars that beaten us? I heard their souls got locked up. So why don't we find a prison and corrupt their souls so they serve us?"

So they send their minions to do the jailbreak but they fuck it up. So 50% of souls are able to escape their clutches. 100 souls are corrupted into Abyssals and 50 became infernal exalted.

Also Solars are humans who became Exalted because they were amazing. Best of the best.

Lunars exalt when they survive or accomplish something they shouldn't have at the first place.

Abyssal exalts when they are on death's door. They are given a new chance to live (and also serve). Also they have a job of destroying the living world and remaking it in the shape of Underworld.

Inernals exalt when they failed at their destiny. For example being destined for greatness and leading the revolution and in the last moment you run away as a coward. They personify corruption. Their job is to corrupt the Creation and make it similar to Yozi/Hell. Yozi gave their oaths so they can't never enter Creation but they still yearn for it. Their plan is to make Creation in the image of Hell so they can return.

one game that executes well the idea of exalted is dominions iv its pretty fun

I'm out of the loop for 3e, but in 2e "what are they" is "disturbingly mirrored Solar Exalted." They're pretty much literally the dark to the solar's light, complete with a great deal of moral ambiguity and personal conflict.

to be fair they do have some house rules that clean it up a fair deal, like any weapon being basic

Random awareness charm idea:

Artistic Discernment Method
Permanent, 1-3m to activate effect
The solar is able to perfectly recognize someone from their depiction in a work of art, no matter how abstract. This also works in reverse (recognizing an artwork depicts someone they've seen before) and between artworks (such as telling that an abstract sculpture and a painting both are about the same person). The effect works with any medium and costs between 1 and 3 motes to activate, depending on the abstractness of the depiction. With the exception of their own past lives, this effect does not work across incarnations. Seeing a carving on an ancient temple wall will not alert the user that the guide that helped them the other day is actually their lunar mate, for example. If the target is disguised, the effect only applies if the solar is able to pierce the disguise.

Alternative name: Recognize the Bulge Technique

Anyone play this online?

What happens if you bang her?

What are some interesting or broken charms you never hear about?

Here is one spirit charm (from alchemials 2e):

>DENIAL OF THE FORGE’S YOKE
>Cost: 6m; Mins: Essence 4; Type: Reflexive
>Keywords: Obvious
>Duration: Scene
>This Charm is most common among metal elementals
>but is not unique to them. While the Charm lasts, the
>spirit is completely immune to damage inflicted by metal
>weapons. This protection does not extend to weapons made
>out of one of the magical materials, but a superior version
>of this Charm exists (requiring Essence 6) that does allow for such protection.

Nothing bad, she might try to awake your Past Life by force if you don't play along with her. You will also be effectively obliged to call upon her every year to chat about what's going on. It's going to be really weird with her all-around though. Talking to someone you've summoned for a job and she talks to you like a wife you last saw before you died on a gods-forsaken battlefield.
The whole thing where she wants to talk about events that you can sometimes, but rarely, remember. The way her Smile of Perfected Joy falters as she realizes that you are not 5 Moon, the way it recovers slightly as she reminds herself that you are the closest she will ever get.
It's weird, but tolerable.
But that's only if you have 5 Moon's Exaltation.

Yozi save you if you fuck her without being an incarnation of 5 Moons.

I wonder if Past Self is going to be a thing in 3e.

what happens if you fuck her without being 5 moons

The same thing if you fucked Queen Victoria after Prince Albert died.

The entire resources of a dynasty would be put towards the express use of fucking your shit up. And unlike fucking Queen Victoria after Prince Albert died, death would not be an escape.

Amalion would just bring you straight to Malfeas just so she could personally fuck your shit for all eternity. In fact, it might even be good for her to have a distraction from the futility of erecting beauty within Malfeas.

but it was not rape if she's willing

Well, if you don't mind her "request" of you dressing up as 5 Moons, then it sure ain't rape.

>Dressing up as a Lunar
Yeah that'll work, for maybe 3 minutes

Are there any Dragonblooded that might compare to Ledaal Kes' greatness?

If a Zenith burns a body does the already existing ghost go to Lethe?

That just makes me fear what fuckery they're going to bring to Autchonia 3E. I hope they don't try to lift the authoritative state needed for survival for something more 'hopeful' or some other tripe shit.

Look, just don't fuck the 7th Soul of Malfeas, ok?