I feel like a Glorantha thread. How about you?

I feel like a Glorantha thread. How about you?

Six Ages is officially in alpha. What are the odds of a release in Q2 2018? What's the weirdest thing to happen to you in a Glorantha related game? What's your favorite obscure deity? Why, if the Lunar Empire is more interesting than the Orlanthi, does it never get any focus? Why does the artist of Prince of Sartar suck?

>Why does the artist of Prince of Sartar suck?

Because Glorantha is an aged universe that would have died decades ago were it not for a brief bit of life thanks to KoDP, but now is even more aged and decrepit?

It should be glad it has any artist whatsoever. Hell, it should be glad it even has a system.

>aged universe
What does that mean?

It's 50 years old. Not all of those years have been glorious.
The halfwit above does have a point however. The fact that it is still a thing is quite miraculous (which is good, bc glorantha is pretty neat).

>It's 50 years old
How does the age effect the setting? I mean I could see if you're arguing it's a product of its time and somehow simply can't be enjoyed by a modern audience for that reason but no such argument seems to have been made.

It's not my argument. If anything, the older supplements are that much better.
The last few decades haven't done the setting many favours. Whether 2018, when we have it "modernly" represented by heroquest, runequest and 13th age will be a resurgence or a blip before it slinks back to grognardland remains to be seen.

>It's not my argument. If anything, the older supplements are that much better.
They were definitely pulpier if you're into that.

Glorantha is really cool, guys. Why do people hate it?

Didn't that chick used to be a human?

muh fetish

I'm going to start a new game of KoDP and randomly roll for every creation choice and every choice for the first two years (that doesn't have a clear "your ancestors would do this" outcome) then RP that for the rest of the game

wish me luck guys

I believe she did. She went into the Gods World and through strenuous effort become more or less a demigod.

She's the only Chaotic named character of the Hero Wars that I am aware of.

How do I run a Heroquest in Runequest?

No one for 50 years has given a good answer.

Make it up as you go along. Really.

I'm really not sure why this is such a difficult subject for so many people.

Run your myth, throw in some surprises, and give the players rewards or penalties based on their performance. Don't get wrapped up in the statistics.

If you really want to delve into stats, use the three domain model below to guide you. Each should be roughly an order of magnitude more difficult than the preceding version.

ancestor < hero < god

Indo-hellenic look the Lunars have is so much cooler than generic gallic/viking barbarians. Why does everything have to be Orlanthi?

Because they're honestly the most relatable and the easiest to roleplay. They're also the most palatable to modern sensibilities.

Are they? Just focus on the less patriarchal parts of the Lunars and they're pretty modern compared to the backwards and violent Orlanthi.

Violence is much more palatable to most people than the Dara Happan ideologies.

And I don't disagree that the Lunars are more "modern", but they're also more complex, more subtle, and an "evil empire". Not to say that you can't run a game set in Peloria, or even just with Lunar characters, but I do think it would be more difficult.

In the end, though, the real answer is simply that the Orlanthi are the protagonists of Glorantha, and have been since Greg Stafford made the "White Bear and Red Moon" wargame.

Fucking writer's pets.

Who the fuck are She Who Waits and Gina Jar?
Why is Arachne Solara friendly with the Red Goddess?
Was Nysalor evil?
What's the deal with Orlanth and the dragons?
How do the Invisible God, the Celestial Court, the True Dragons and True Giants coexist in the same creation myth or even coexist at all?

>Who the fuck are She Who Waits and Gina Jar?
They're both Ernalda.

>Why is Arachne Solara friendly with the Red Goddess?
Because the Red Goddess tames Chaos and makes it part of creation, just as Death and the Middle Air had to be tamed before it.

>Was Nysalor evil?
No, He was perfect.

>What's the deal with Orlanth and the dragons?
He's a barbarian that kills and steals things he'll never understand.

>How do the Invisible God, the Celestial Court, the True Dragons and True Giants coexist in the same creation myth or even coexist at all?
They're all the same thing, they just haven't realized it yet.

So much imperial propaganda I don't even know where to start.

She Who Waits was probably killed with Chaos magic at the Battle of Castle Blue, so it's hard to say what she was. It's my belief that Ginna Jar is related to Arachne Solara, or possibly the goddess Glorantha.

I don't think Arachne Solara is friendly with anyone; she just *is*.

Nysalor was an illuminant, so it perhaps would be more correct to say that he transcended the idea of good and evil, though those ideals can still be applied to him. Argrath would say that Nysalor was the Devil come again.

Orlanth took the dragon power from Sh'harkazeel. The famous slaying of Aroka is actually a deed done by his brother Vadrus. There are certainly deeper mysteries, but I am not an expert on them.

One of the fun things about Glorantha is working out how all the myths fit together. It's too easy just to say "they're all the same". Sometimes it's true, and you can and should draw parallels. Other times things are quite distinct, and it would be a mistake to say they are the same. Embrace the multiplicity rather than struggle against it.

On here it's one guy who has built something up in his head about Glorantha being taken too seriously. Other people just think the ducks are silly.

>So much imperial propaganda I don't even know where to start.
by abandoning your barbaric beliefs and accepting the Lunar Way

Let's have a moment of silence for the user whose life is so empty that he must denigrate an imaginary game world because other people enjoy it too much.

The wise know better than to fuck with the ducks.

>Who the fuck are She Who Waits and Gina Jar?
I'm not sure about She Who Waits but she could be one of the parts of Sedenya and the future dominant one of the White Moon.

Gina Jar is the Wyter of the Lightbringers, their collective soul as a whole more than the sum of their parts, she's kinda the first form of Arachne Solara so that's probably why she is associated with Ernalda through the Arachne Solara - Glorantha association.

>Why is Arachne Solara friendly with the Red Goddess?

She's the Wyter of everything in the recreated cosmos of the Dawn, the force holding everythig together despite the absence of the Spike.
She's surprisingly accesible for such a transcendant entity (Many Lunar New Gods choose to recreate the part of Sedenya heroquest where she meets Arachne Solara and there also mystics having a personal relationship with her if she don't give any magic) so Sedenya (as a mortal/demigod) just heroquested what she needed to do to meet her.
She's uphelding the Great Compromise and Sedenya did nothing against it (it's possible she used a break to be reborn as a mortal in Time but she never was a god within time; being chaotic is not a breach of the Compromise either)

>Was Nysalor evil?
Nysalor is accepted and respected in the East and mysticism is done "right" there.
The whole thing with Arkat is that he seems to represent that aspect of gloranthan Heroes that they get caught in their own created mythos and lose free will like Gods and he was defined by being the opposition to Nysalor.

>What's the deal with Orlanth and the dragons?
He's the Great Utuma, from the orlanhi viewpoint he is a killer of dragons and conquered some of the dragon power of the Great Ancestral Dragon but from a draconic viewpoint he is the liberator of dragons and has a draconic aspect. (The EWF used it to develop a draconic soul and Alakoring used it to destroy dragons but it's the exact same power)
At some level Orlanth is the emanation of the Great Ancestral Dragon while Ernalda is the one of Glorantha herself but it's so abstract that it's almost symbolic. (Even if both are relevant to mystics of both gods as the involution used to transcend the world)

>>How do the Invisible God, the Celestial Court, the True Dragons and True Giants coexist in the same creation myth or even coexist at all?

Most detailed creations myths don't contradict themselves, the Powers were born from the Heart of Chaos, the Cosmic Dragon too.
The Cosmic Dragon stole Infinity from Chaos and based the world on it, Disorder created the first element (Darkness).
The Cosmic Dragon was entrangled by his actions and accepted to be reborn as the Great Ancestral Dragon, other dragons are his offsprings a bit like other gloranthan entities except they are dreams of the Cosmic Dragon instead of devolutions of the Powers and Elemental Rulers.

Guide to Glorantha confirms the Invisible God as always have been the Owner of the Law Rune and the Five Actions are an intellectual way to see the God Time Ages so he's probably some kind of demiurge or more likely the cosmos itself (Glorantha herself is larger than that).

The True Dragons are the lowest rank of actual dragons and only somewhat more powerful (able to mystically and magically grow, more insightful and hard to fight with normal magic) than most gods.
They had a conflict with the Elder Giants, mythogically obscure beings.
That probably happened during that period in the Creation Age where the world was created but the Cosmic Court and their first children dwelled in the Spike.

>Why does the artist of Prince of Sartar suck?

He doesn't suck, he just have a simpler and more stylised artstyle.