Warhammer 40,000 General /40kg/

Death Guard meme edition

>DG Legion tactic and some psychic powers. Some good stuff here.
warhammer-community.com/2017/09/07/codex-focus-death-guard-part-2-special-rules-and-psychic-powers-sep-7gw-homepage-post-2/

>Top 5 Squigs
warhammer-community.com/2017/09/05/celebrate-30-years-of-warhammer-40000-top-5-squigsgw-homepage-post-3/

>Konor Campaign, fucken rigged
konor.warhammer40000.com/

>GW FAQs (1.1):
games-workshop.com/en-US/Rules-Errata
>FW FAQ (1.1):
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/15/new-and-updated-forge-world-faqs-july16gw-homepage-post-2/

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
>Everything 8th edition in properly converted pdf & epub, fully bookmarked and linked with in-line errata annotations
mega.nz/#F!bF0ExS4D!_XaMECn0K9HiJKUFSopJLA

>Other Megas
mega.nz/#F!64wmnBZR!rWcm37EkOOeToeueqhPjpA
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

>WIP Math-hammer doc (Thanks Chart-user!)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing

Bland

How could I go about modeling these guys? Would it take too much effort to do for a whole army?

Xth for FW has overpowered rules.

Ok

What is your(within the realm of possibility and realism) wishlist for your army(ies) codex release/update?

yep

Primaris Psyker are IG which is the better army than Chaos, by a long shot. They can also be taken in an IG detachment while Malefic Lords need to be slotted in with a Renegade and heretics Detachment. which means you'd need to bring atleast 3

The Primaris Psyker also has Weapons while the Malefic lord (literally) fights with his bare hands.

>Tau
But the worst FW offenders are Malefics, Elysians and maybe Levis

The Primaris Psyker also has TWICE the Wounds of the Malefic-Lord.

Necron body
Fire Warrior Helmet
a file
green stuff

Well I started with Death Guard.

The thing I want is for the Plague Marine kits to be very rich with bits. I've got 17 Plague Marines at the moment, of which I've build/based/painted 10.

If I were to get the 3 man kit again, and a new set I'd have 30.

That means I could run 6 lots of 5 or 4 lots of 7 easily. And I want tons of plasma guns, tons of blight launchers, tons of flamers and stuff from that kit since those weapons are quite good.

They both have 4.
The FW one has a 4+ invul sav, Primar has a 5+ armor save.
The FW one gets much better and more attacks if it ever takes perils. 2+WS S8 5 attacks with -2 ap and 2 damage.
So no, the FW pskyer is much stronger.
And 10 points cheaper.

Doesn't it cost more?

Tau codex

Helbrutes or Predators? What are their comparative advantages and disadvantages?

The Primaris is still in the objectively better army and much easier to slot into your IG army than it is to Slot an Malefic-Daemonhost into your CSM Army.

It is better side by side. but unless youre full Waac and literally spam nothing but them its really no big deal.

RIP user

I am on the same boat. I trimmed from excessive stuff a bunch bought for cheap on ebay, then (I don't think I am original) I used heads and weapons from the blightkings and other nurgle bits. Waiting for new ones got on ebay, I am having a blast just converting.
My only fear is that the Terminator and Power Armor characters that are not unique will suck. That is a lot of conversion work that will be lost.

Some high hopes there
I just want those Enclaves melee options since I like their flavour and style better. Up close and personal when you want etc

I think the real issue, statline and weapons aside, is that their is a real floor on the points cost for "dude with a full smite" and the MLord is pushing it.

user got SMITED

I'd like to see subteranean and spore mine themed stratagems for Nids.

I'd like to see a genestealer stratagem that reveals one of your opponent's units was sabotaged or subjugated somehow before the battle. Like maybe a "hidden traitors" stratagem that allows you to make a shooting attack with one of your opponent's non character infantry models.

My finger twitched and hit the post button on Clover.

By a 30pt full smite 4+ invul model.

And there. Frankly I'm surprised they manage to hold a society together at all if they're all that stupid, but I suppose we've seen a non-representative sample of 85% complete idiots.
Maybe things will improve a bit now we're a proper faction.

Given he seems to have bothered to make all the other factions in said novel less than cartoonishly retarded it seems a little much to just go with "you're all fuckwits because GRIMDARK". It's always been pretty ambiguous how much the Admech actually know, but the BL writers seem to have come down hard on the "they're all a cargo cult apart from the plot devices" recently.

I didn't just use the novel, given it was mentioned he was a main designer for 8e. I put together TWO pretty much completely unfounded assumptions, which is even worse in terms of credibility. I concede that point, although I mentioned it all of twice.

You don't think being able to stick 12 psychic characters in a valkyrie, have them disembark within smite range of the enemy, summon 1500 points of daemons and then get 12 smites off, all for less than 500 points is completely appropriate?

Give us tau walkers please gw

I know this is a custom mini but I thought Tau were supposed to be the reasonable and practical faction. When did they decide to focus on giant stupid mecha?

I think the Lord and Primaris Psyker should probably have -1 to cast and deny or something.

Tau FW units don't seem overpowered at all to me. They had to give R'alai and R'myr errata buffs to make them playable. All the other special suits have only two hardpoints. Crisis commanders are objectively much better. (But tell me if there's something I'm missing. I haven't played with all of it, of course.)

Lol @ the pathfinders laying prone like "guys i sure hope they won't see us"

>Why would you want to have very heavy long range guns in an elevated position and be able to move around
Yeah I can't work it out either m8

actually I think that's a ch mini from way back

This. I also heard rumours about a 'non-Tau Tau affiliate' codex or supplement for this edition.

Stabilizing his gun I suppose.

How does one counter Magnus with a space marine army?

Helbrutes can use tactics unlike predators and contemptors.

1. Better firing position for yourself
2. Snipers will still shoot at you

and makes it less likely to accidentally catch a bullet.

You mean the non empire Tau models? or is there something else

Lascannons and meltas.

Also smite.

How __fun__ are Genestealers?

hellforged contemptors can use tactics theyve been errata'd to have the helbrute keyword

What like gue'vesa?

>easier to slot into your IG army than it is to Slot an Malefic-Daemonhost into your CSM Army.
Use Malefic Lords as your HQs to unlock your Brimstone Horror chaff via CHAOS

>Realism

Bah, give me a plastic hierodule for my nids.

Tanks can do it better.

This doesn't matter however because logic went out the window as soon as 40k was involved.

A tank will give your gun a ground clearance of about 5 meters at the most

Very FUNĀ®

Thank fuck I don't have to cheat anymore.

Smite not so good against someone who can deny 3 powers a turn with a bonus to the deny.

The implication of what I read, so I thought, was something that worked with the Tau empire, but wasn't the Tau species. So or kroot or something. But I'd be pretty pleased with an enclaves codex too. Me want CC crisis suits.

Only Scion I like thanks to the paintjob.

Looks very Blanche-like or maybe GW's paintjobs fucking suck unironically.

You can give a tank a torso, arms, and knees.

The tank vs mech argument has been done to death already by people far smarter than me. Go argue with them.

I want to know the crunch of the new plague bombard thingy, its the dealbreaker if im gonna start DG or not.

not when your tanks can hover/fly

Look I'm with you as far as real life logic and constraints are concerned, but for the Tau, building huge af walkers makes sense

It lets you crash this stormbird with no survivors.

You mean the unit or the genestealer cult army?

Tyranid plastic LoW fucking when?

If I take off Mortys mask, will he die?

This. If Tau were constrained by real logic, they would just use hammerheads and fire warriors. And while we're at it, why are they ever fighting land battles? They should just blast their opponents apart from orbit. And oh yeah, why don't they just enslave or hire psykers to pilot through the warp so they can start doing that all on a grand scale.

It would be extremely plagueful

Theres always room for diplomacy without nuking them first. Mechs are a part of Tau aesthetic. I agree that Tau do need SOME form of better FTL to fit into the larger universe. And the original guy I replied to was trying to ask why the Tau built bigger mechs when it's not "logical" which is why I made the claim that evetything 40k isn't logical so this claim is very minor.

He's a big Primarch.

What was it like for DG players when they learned that DG would get new sculpts and attention?

It must be bittersweet, essentially having your old models invalidated with how stark the difference in quality is. Such a feeling Marine players must feel to a degree with Primaris too.

>With the power to overcome even Chaos, the Tyranids may well signal the end for all life in the universe.
Carnac eternally BTFO

IV U

The army.

7 u

Considering the old models are shitty manlets and the new range comes with all sorts of sweet stuff and new weapons and shit I'd say they're probably not sweating it too much.

The new DG models really struck me with the amount of detail. The old plague marines really looked kind of just shit

Originally Tau used tanks and aircraft to combat shit like knights or bigger.
Mostly because in their eyes it was fucking retarded to build such huge things when you have hover tanks with rail guns.

It leads to a lot of fun posting on this board that's for sure

I've heard that too in 5th edition. Do you have the source?

This is the best 30th anniversary present GW could have given us besides longcoat plastic guard.

oh I remember this image evolving over the shitfest threads

What are some interesting obscure minor races in 40k?

if they where a soda they would be Insane G-rape

The big suits are all designed by one mad earth caste who stole resources for his crazy plans. They let him get on with it because the first few worked. He still doesn't get that much funding.

Old FW books with the manta or tiger shark. One of the aircraft.
It was also in the old GW site when GW at least pretended to care about the hobby and lore.

Tau aren't that interesting.

If they were a top hero they would be Best Geneist

>Mechs are a part of Tau aesthetic.
Yeah, I agree. I'm not the guy you were talking to earlier (I'm only the guy you responded to with this post). Tau can't be constrained to IRL logic, but they're closer to it than the other factions. And that's how it needs to be. With the exception that yes, they need FTL travel because this is absurd. It would be easy enough for them to use a client race. In fact, they must already have a client race that could help them with this. This is my actual greatest hope for the new Tau codex. An update on this aspect of their fluff. We have an entire sphere of expansion that's just missing and could easily have gotten flung off somewhere interesting.

Since it's coming pretty soon-ish, here are my hopes
>give back Doctrina in some sort (maybe as strategem)
>give some other/more HQ options

Just minor things, but gosh please.

>>give back Doctrina in some sort (maybe as strategem)
That's almost definitely 100% happening.

So because there's no WIP thread are there any tips for painting with acrylics that are meant for painting on an easel? Do I thin with water or some of the citadel medium?

Here's some in progress shots trying to get a base plan of action. I want to do neon colors on my Eldar.

felinids

Considering most factions have multiple HQs that give different bonuses. Could see a new AdMech HQ that gives Doctrinas as its buff.

>they're closer to it than the other factions

I think the Imperium have more working prototypes for their tech IRL than the Tau.

On this one I repainted base white before trying to add the pink. It just doesn't want to stay a coherent color/flow.

One way or another would be good.

I do like Dominus as a HQ, but some more diversity besides him and Cawl would be awesome. Especially in lower-point lists or smaller army-parts.

>painting warhams with acrylics
Just... don't. Don't do that. Stop.

>the felinids live on carlos mcconnel
riveting

>stop using acrylics
>citadel paint is acrylics

u wot m8

Dominus is fine as one of the HQs but when you're trying to fill out a Battalion with a second HQ slot we could really, really use a cheaper secondary.

The first tau codex from 3rd edition mentions the manta missile destroyer being their equivalent to imperial titans and ork gargants. IA3 expands on that, and added in the railgun-armed tigershark.

...then GW released the riptide

It was supposedly something outside of the Empire, not non-Tau
So something Enclaves is plausible. Need sprue pieces for Enclave stuff