You ready?

You ready?

I'm glad I sold my magic online collection

What the fuck was this again?

Can you boosters and get them online like with pokemon yet. Because I don't care otherwise.

Looked like a slightly worse version of Duels in the stream, sounded really obnoxious (not every action and mouseover needs to have a whooshing sound attached to it, learn sound design), and it really annoys me how you can't see your own hand fully without mousing over each card. They should focus on fixing that instead of adding pointless animations that every serious player is going to immediately turn off anyways.

Maybe. They talked about planning to have some form of interaction between online and tabletop. One thing they mentioned was stuff tied to your DCI, like getting a promo for going to a pre release.

every serious player knows what the cards do by art so your point about having to mouse over the cards in your hand to see them is void; however there are a fairly high amount of problems with this release. a complete lack of consumer confidence from they dropping support for duels after a lot of people put money into it being a major one

If they had planned something as major as adding an online code to every physical booster pack, they would have brought it up already. They're not going to do it even though everyone wants it.

>every serious player knows what the cards do by art

Bullshit. Serious players don't look at card art in the first place.

Not while it's in beta. Nothing more annoying that opening a pack with an arena code to find you cant use it because you didnt get an invite. I feel like that's something that'd be announced closer to actual launch.

by the mere act of being a serious player you are playing your format enough to see the cards several hundred times a week each; even without actively trying to the human brain will associate the art with the effect.

beyond that the majority of people who are actually high tier: example pro tour level players
do in fact care about art which is why they for the most part use there favorite art for things like thought seize and full art lands
its mainly intermediate level players who do not associate effect to picture as they not playing at a casual level where the art is one of the more important parts nor are they playing enough that they see the cards at such a regular basis that the association between the two factors of a card are made internally

I'm cautiously interested because drafts.

>He thinks pros don't identify cards by the art.
HAHAHAHA

It's funny because this is going to suck too and we're stuck with it for at least the next five years.

Imagine being excited for a paid version of Cockatrice that will disappear with all your money in 2 years like the last three paid versions of cockatrice they made.

So is this meant to be a pure MTGO replacement or is it just another, slightly more advanced Magic Duels they'll support for 2-3 years then ditch

More the latter than the former but also not really either.

I think the real tragedy of this game is not that it will be shit, but that it will be decent and (even though it's not their intention) it will sap away all the players from MTGO. That'll produce a lot of butthurt. They're playing this as conservatively as they can. It's Hearthstone visuals/UI but it's Magic's rules and mechanics. It launches with Standard and Limited. It'll be successful, MTGO will die, and they'll end up bringing EDH/Modern/etc. to MTGA.

So long as they port over my collection and start supporting the same formats, I don't care. Frankly MTGO is a mess from the UI to the code and needs to be scrapped sooner rather than later.

It'll be a while before they branch out past Standard/Limited. I'm not sure how they would port stuff over without screwing it up royally.

Move everyone's collection over to an external database that can be accessed from both platforms?

>Standard

Ya user!
I can't wait to play not!hearthstone where I can't play modern, legacy, vintage or commander!

They'll probably port Modern over and leave legacy untouched. It'd be really easy to gradually introduce a side set from Magic's past to draft each month, with a core set also available, and unlike other CCGs where ranked ladders can become stale once a meta settles, these new and interesting drafts can draw in more casual players more often.

I guess they could just... re-tread all of Magic. Start back in the 90s, hit the rewind button.

>and they'll end up bringing EDH/Modern/etc. to MTGA.
and even then, the game will still die, because WotC aren't Blizzard and are a basic footnote in the vidya industry... both namewise, productwise, playerbase, etc.

People just move to newer vidya anyway. That's why we have DoW3, or Starcraft2 & Starcraft1 remastered.

Even something like Gwent just about gets noticed by gamesites, where I think the last big WotC vidya news item for ages was the closing of Duels. MTGO certainly doesn't get articles.

What better way to drum up support for eternal formats online while also making money than to offer them for draft? Every time an expansion comes out, they put up three sets to draft that are all in the same block and give a single voucher for one booster draft, then leave you chomping at the bit for more. People draft the set if it has good Modern shit in it before it rotates out, and once they've gone through 8th Edition -> now, they can loop it again an print money.

>DoW3
Yeah, not really a great way to support your statement. There are more people playing Soulstorm than DoW3. WotC aren't Blizzard, but this is Magic we're talking about. It's been around since 1994 for a reason.

my statement isn't about that people are playing the newest... but that they won't stick around on older games just because they still work.

DoW3 is here because they couldn't keep pushing DoW2 / 1 expansion packs/DLCs to keep people playing, even though it's basically new content etc. the same thing this "future proof" MTGA will supposedly be.

Magic have been around since 1994, but this is not their home territory. They've had 3~4 "duels/planeswalker" games, and retired each version. They have a couple of super old games. And some DoA games (remember that "tactics" one, that had 3D models, and looked like a mix of FFTA and Etherlords, but was released about a decade too later).

They have the marketting and playerbase in physical cards, but the hot new shit that came out last year in Vidya, is just old shit this year. You've got an ever-morphing attempt to monetise players, from DLC, to microtransactions, to paid mods, to loot boxes. DayZ is dead, long live PUBG.

conversely, this is Blizzard home-territory, and can basically focus-fire their WOW playerbase at anything and make it successful. Even Heros of the Storm, despite never being talked about (outside of promos in Overwatch) sits in the top chunk of Twitch streams.

stuff like PUBG survive Early Access, and Heartstone can keep fresh because they can add new content, and nerf older content... and they can do it fast. Is WotC going to start adopting Blizzard-style nerf-buff cycles on cards?

I know people like to complain about this being exactly the same as duels pretty much...
But in a way... for the better or for worst, it seem this make stuff simpler, and just do stuff faster, or at least the "dealing damage" part is instant instead of showing you each number one by one.
Its magic +heartstone, but the gameplay stay magic....

But... there isnt much to get existed about, WotC have shown again and again that they will just kill the actual game at some point, and then make a new one.

They may not do that specially if Heartstone the gathering is successful, but history have not being kind with magic games.

And even if people have mention how they dislike Neverwinter, I thought it was okay, I would wonder to see how a MTG version would be, even if its just to see how badly they fuck it up. or what good things it have.

>Elvish Archer does 20 damage

jesus christ, that'll end the game right there.

Hope all your cards were Standard.

>WotC have shown again and again that they will just kill the actual game at some point
They have no reason to kill their one moneymaker.

maybe, they said you can get arena promos for playing pre-release/open house etc

ARENA:

Standard only

MAYBE frontier only one day, if that.

draft and sealed yes

it will never be a "pro-tour" format

they MIGHT issue 1 or 2 pro-invites per tour

------

can't buy singles

calling it now

You can't buy or trade singles, confirmed. The game is pure trash aimed only at the most casual of players (and whales who will spend real money on thousands of e-boosters to build their standard decks)