/edhg/ - EDH/Commander General

Cadillacs & Dinosaurs Edition

Previously on /edhg/: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
Still on the Dino hype train? Why/Why not?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lazav-budget-3/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rincewind-time/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Still on the Dino hype train? Why/Why not?

Always been. But I wonder if there are efficient ways of triggering enrage besides pingers are red miniboardwipes

>Thread Question: Still on the Dino hype train? Why/Why not?

FUCK YEAH, and every day it gets better!

Need help with budget Lazav
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lazav-budget-3/

Getting back into playing magic and am gonna play edh casually with some friends. Any suggestions would be great

And because I just realised that Ixalan will have 3 sets, so there will be enough nice dinosaurs

I genuinely don't understand the people that want to build a commander deck out of a poorly supported standard mechanic.

Never was, and still isn't. I also don't give a fuck about the pirates, but the treasure lands on the other hand, they are all awesome.

Holy shit I am.
This collection is looking dope.

>spineless
>instead of dealing with his own issues and mentally growing as a person he choses to erase his memorys any time something tragic happens and planeswalks away
>mary sue
>dispite this character flaw he is the unstable head of gatewatch and essencially the "chosen one" in every plane he goes to

I wonder how jace is going to end up killing bolas and making a harem out of every female planeswalker with ajani as his pet kitten

3: Ixalan, Explorers of Ixalan, Rivals of Ixalan

Explorers is a board game.

Oh, okay. Sounds neat anyway.

Except two of the three times he had his mind wiped it wasn't intentional. The other time we know little about. And he's only really the head of the Gatewatch because he can act as a human radio and makes plans that don't always fall through. He's decently clever at times, but he's a neurotic mess and is still somehow the most stable member of the GW except for maybe Gideon or now Ajani. And he's never been treated as any kind of chosen one. In the last few blocks he's been pretty useless outside of his ability to be a radio.

We've had this argument before. You're simply wrong in what you call a Mary Sue and about Jace. As many problems as his character has, being a Mary Sue is not one of them.

I'm fully on board with Arena now that full control is there. Now just make multiplayer a thing.

thats the shittiest way of giving something double strike ive seen. theres way better options

duelists heritage
fireshrieker
true conviction
berserkers' onslaught

Forget about the dino hype train

I'm on the gaea's cradle dreidel

>lemee just travel to this plane here
>oh noo everyone is after me because im so special even niv mizzet the genious dragon wants to take me to his mind sex chamber
>I also have this hot elf partner cause I attract the ladies even though im an intelligent nihilist with a wicked sense of humor

Kinda on it. Probably won't make a dino deck, but some of the Dinos look like they might be kinda cool in my Mayael deck.

Who isnt?

You know you can do that with just about any one of the five original Gatewatch and it'll sound like just as much of a teen wish fulfillment fantasy, right?

And not everyone was "after him" anyway. Besides, he technically was special in that he's a planeswalker. Nothing about him is more "special" than any other. He's pretty average as far as PWs go. He's depicted as handsome, but are you saying that handsome characters are unrealistic? And he's not "an intelligent nihilist with a wicked sense of humor," he's a dork who uses illusions to make himself look presentable when he hasn't had his morning coffee.

that art makes me uncomfortable

>thread question
I'm more hyped for vampires, dinos seem cool too tho might give them a try.

You get the power to remove three commanders from existence entirely. Who do you pick?

I probably won't either honestly. Love the fliplands I've seen, though.

didn't emmara reject him or something tho?

Holy shnikeys

It cantrips in my deck!

>he was special cause hes a planeswalker
>dispite there being two walkers in the same plane both with ZERO people chasing them down to find their secrets

most of the original gatewatch is also a mary sue, its just that they dont show up as often, meanwhile jace is ALWAYS there, lilly was replaced by sorin as the main black walker for a time, garruk was replaced by elfslut after a while, ajani, gideon, and elsbeth take turns as the white walker
the only one with as much push as jace is chandra

sorry I midwiped myself so I dont remember that happening, I dont get rejected
t. jace

>most of the original gatewatch is also a mary sue
Yeah, you definitely don't know what that phrase means.

Animar, Cabal Coffers and Zur.

Zur, Tazri, Arcum.

why is doubling season so expensive reeeeeeeeeeeeee

He's using it to mean protagonist.

My friend got it for my birthday. I fucking hate that card but I am now obligated to use it.

At least none of the monogreen ults are that bad.

>Vraska, the sneaky walker who can't even be tracked most of the time
>Ral Zarek, the walker who was already under Niv's thumb
Yeah, Jace is nothing special. ANd being pushed doesn't make someone a Mary Sue. NONE of the Gatewatch are. They're all flawed characters who run into problems because of those flaws. Poorly written? Sure. But that's not the same as being a Mary Sue, you dingus.

Never been stronger.

I'm trying to run Vorel so I really fucking need it but I'm in college and cannot justify spending $60 on a single card

kms

garruks is pretty decent.

The only badly written Gatewatch character is Nissa. Everyone else is meh to good depending on the block.

I'm thinking of going to fnm for the first time tomorrow

What should I expect as a complete noob? Will people be mean to me

It is fun, which I like. I'm gonna run him since he'll cantrip ().

My point is it isn't like Doubling Season Tamiyo or some of the other walkers where you honestly can't lose.

Chandra is garbage in every block she appears and Liliana is trash most of the time too. Gideon has his moments, but he's usually just a stoic brick. Jace is a massive dork who likes to throw quips every now and then, but at least he's consistent in his characterization. Ajani is decently written for the most part.

I tend to think Chandra is pretty poorly written but I actually agree in general.

Do you even know what format they play?

They do this draft thing that my friend explained to me

I might not even try to play, just watch the first time around

You're going to make the people to your immediate left and right win.

Chandra's written like a cocky teenager who gets angry really easily and has no problem solving skills. She wanted to start a revolution, and did, on her home plane because she couldn't have her fire wherever she wanted. The only problem that needed taking care of on Kaladesh was Tezz and possibly Baral (no idea how he wasn't at least UW), and yet they go and start a whole damn war and massively fuck over the infrastructure of the biggest city on the plane.

Drafting is fun, but kinda a jump in the cold water.

Prereleases are very good to learn the game, and the next one is in only 2 weeks .

Aether needs to be free.

Aether needs to be regulated to be sure everyone gets their fair share.

Well, that was a sudden burst of hype out of fucking nowhere.

You haven't read the Purifying Fire, have you? She used to be so much better before Kaladesh. Even as recently as BfZ she's been decent.

Hey everybody, my name's user, and I just wanted to say I've finally stopped getting my dick in a knot over mediocre standard cards with price points higher than much better and older cards, and I've never felt better

Bless EDH

I don't mind losing as long as people don't bully me

What happens then?

Most of her appearances before Kaladesh were barely better and in some places just as bad. She's a generally poorly-written character who suffers just as badly as Nissa.

Hidden Strings
Mind Grind
Psychic Strike
Mirko Vosk

Good for dinos and fixing, bad for ramp with the land going into your hand. 6/10

The big drawback is that it will often miss on that etb, especially in token deck. But on the other hand it is functionally a ramp spell and lets you put two lands into play on one turn like Zoetic Cavern.

It lets you grab nonbasics, that's worth a lot.

At least it's any form of land, not just a basic

>Still on the Dino hype train?
Not really. Ever since I saw the fucking pitiful list of errata'd creatures I lost interest

Ah didn't see that, 10/10 would play in any green deck.

Baby's first card assessment, how cute

Wish we'd get something as neat as this thing again, the thing can dig for anything from big guys, to nonbasics to toys like Crucible, been using it in Azusa to great effect.

seems pretty good in oloro.dec

It's not. It's not significantly better than greed tbqh. It's faster up front but costs more mana over time, and considering that Oloro is all about "over time" I don't think this has any place unless you're not being super spike about it. Also thankfully the transformation isn't mandatory because the land it transforms into is almost laughable, especially comparing to

A diamond valley that taps for B is pretty good though.

>only flips if you have 5 or less life
Well this probably won't happen in Oloro, plus in EDH if you're at 5 or less life, you're pretty much already dead.

Not when you have to be at 5 or less life and hit an upkeep trigger. Versus having 4 creatures and hitting an upkeep trigger to get gaea's god damn cradle. I SPECIFICALLY COMPARED IT TO THAT CARD.

Oh shit I just realized the fucking cradle isn't even an upkeep trigger, it's a fucking END STEP TRIGGER
ARE YOU EVEN FUCKING TRYING WIZARDS

Proud of you, user, welcome to the big leagues

Yeah, the condition to flip it sucks major ass. Oh and the Cradle happens at the end step, thing's pretty pushed.

welcome, now grab all the reserved list cards you need before investors buy them out.

Then
Now
Forever

>kind of want to try a u/ug/g deck because I haven't build any deck with this colour combination yet
>no idea what to build

help me tg, reki, edric and patron of the moon all look interesting.

So do you guys think the C17 decks are ever gonna drop in price, or should I buy now before they get even worse?

Kaseto voltron
Hard mode + countersnek tribal

buy singles unless you need 20 different cards that are all coming out of the same deck that are going to be worth the price of the deck

I usually buy all the decks every year just to build my stock of commander staples since each deck has a bunch of playable cards.

I wanna build Edgar though, and I own next to no vampires so I'd have to buy at least him.

Edgar has some pretty decent vampires in it. It would be a decent start honestly. Plus one of the cards in there is going for $20 dollars on TCGplayer.

I personally think it would be pretty good start.. even though if you bought them as singles (taking out the $20 card). it would be way cheaper

Guess the deck: It's not Prossh edition

it costs more mana over time sure but you can only use black mana on greed so its not like youre gonna be able to draw that much more with greed than this

Sure, but the front side isn't useless like the one time ETB. They're different cards.

shattergang?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rincewind-time/

Looking for help with my Inalla. I've been able to get Arjun to stick in three seperate playgroups, but in each game I've ended up hellbent in the midgame with nothing to do beyond plopping down one dude and passing.

I designed it to have a VERY low curve to take advantage of the enchantment version of Dark Confidant, but I have $30 left in the budget and need suggestions for efficient draw at or below CMC 4, and things to cut for draw.

Oloro , Oloro, and Oloro

Will keep in mind. Thank you!

What commander do you wish had one/two more colors?

Kresh.

Good job lad. That one was easy.

Try this one on for size

why tazri?

t. EDH pleb

Uril?

I want sultai scarb god

Gitrog + Red

green omnath

Gahiji?

singlehandedly wins the game with food chain and a creature that can be cast from exile

>1% enchantments

Not Uril