/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
Firin’ two ways at the same time, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-09-05 - Still getting worked on & now has 15594 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2017-08-30!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=D0d4XpaWukQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I like Thugs more than Warhammers, mainly because they actually have some armor instead of leg armor so thin that if someone sneezes at it you will lose a leg.

I make no apologies for the magical death unicorn of... death. Hell's Horses FOREVER!

It was just as lame when you posted it last thread. Lose the head and you're disarmed.

faggot

I would have made the HD gun to be a Gauss rifle and rest TSM as Unicorns of old where known to be mean SOBs if you wheren't a virgin girl.

>magical death unicorn of... death.

I think we've been down this road before, user, and I can't say I'm crazy about where it's going.

>he didn't put a spike on the head
ONE JOB, user

How are the Goons doing, anyway?
Do they still play BTech? Aside from those two or so dedicated people who still go at it in BTech game MP and rape grognards who think Shadow Hawks are good.

They're still in it. They have a regular thread in the Games forum, which mostly consists of them bitching about how terrible PGI is.

What other scandals/crimes the people working on Battletech has done through the franchise history?

I know about Coleman theft, and just recently heard about Warner Doles child molesting.

What mechs are your favorite brawlers? I'm partial to the nightsky and the Tsi'Tang

Harmony Gold multiple times, Calbeck's furry takeover, FASA's bad money management, CGL's Bad Money Management. The Dark Ages+Clickytech, and the writers being involved in drama. the list goes on and on. It's really a testament to the quality of the IP that it has survived so many attempts to kill it.

i am suddenly struck by the idea of reavers from firefly in battlemechs.

This thought scares me

Maybe a WoB splinter cell gone mad from long term from long-term VDNI use? they just show up on backwater planets, murder every inhabitant they can get their hands on, steal or destroy all the tech and supplies, and if you're really, really unlucky, you wake up on the operating table as they turn you into a new recruit.

Isn't there some story about Interstellar Expeditions sending ships out the Periphery and finding colonies that have been completely destroyed quite recently.

That's the 2spooky edgy ~mystery~ Green Ghosts that they tried pushing for a bit before more or less dumping

The Silver Hawk Irregulars have run into trouble when the dirty rebels had a hidden DEMOLISHER inside one if the buildings that we aren't allowed to destroy or the Exituri observer will get his panties in a twist. Fortunately, he missed one of his shots and another went into the leg of one of out Wolverines, which fortunately has the armour to soak it. And then our locust rolled up and plinked it with an MG to get crew stunned, and so we had a turn to get out of AC20 range.

The enemy Grasshopper continues to harass out company commander in the Crab to which his bodyguard in the Hunchback stomps forward and says "Come at me bro!" The Grasshopper declines to do so, and the Crab escapes to hide behind our assault mechs, neither of whom have managed to do much, despite throwing massive amounts of firepower downrange.

My Wolverine managed to find another tan that decided to play building-peek-a-boo, coming out from hiding under a bridge, and our melee Wolverine managed to get chest to chest the the enemy Wasp, and punched out the CT. Wolverine 4 did nothing notable this session.

Finally, out Marauder and Orion finished ranking the enemy LRM carrier, and crippled the Hunter, so the enemy LRM weight has dropped to a couple 10 racks. Our crab is very happy about this, as he was eating most of it thanks to infantry spotters in one of the religious buildings we aren't allowed to blow up.

Oh, and we killed a vedette, but it's a fucking vedette. nobody cares.

That'd make a cool paint job for a Merc or Pirate unit. Think I might try it out.

As for your question, I'd have to say the game hasn't really released one I like yet, assuming you're just talking 'Mechs with physical weapons besides their fists. Problem is, Light 'Mechs are my favorite weight class, so I get the Scarabus, I guess. It's cool.

A game like this would take all day for us to finish. Looks pretty great though. I usually only have the patience for Lance on Lance.

>youtube.com/watch?v=D0d4XpaWukQ
>That progression from a kid sketch to an amazing drawing.

I take it this is pretty much how all of the guys redoing FASA "artwork" must feel like.
The guy worked on Code Lyoko,
nowadays at Statlight (Macross).

Ah yes, Romain.

He's generally a good source of info about stuff in Japanese animation curcles for those who do not speak Japanese.
He's worked on a load of shows, most of em not Macross.

We play it over several sessions. Last session we got like 3 turns in. Our old unit, which was a full battalion, we'd get one, MAYBE two turns a day.

>He's worked on a load of shows, most of em not Macross.

Sure, but considering where we are (and forgetting for a moment we are on Veeky Forums and I should be shooting people for not having the slightest idea), Macross kind of has some sort of recognition here because of the unseen origins. I seriously doubt you could find 5 people who have seen Space Dandy, at best 2 who are watching Symhgeah, Aquarion EVOL, Nobunaga the Fool and so on.

I think I know at least 1 other /btg/ regular who has seen at least some of those, actually.

I grew up with Robotech (fuck, it was the reason I started playing BT, seeing the Tomahawk/Warhammer on the cover of thebox), Thundersub and Sabre Rider. Thank Blake for Super Channel and their weekend blocks of cartoons. Also, Space Dandy rocks. He understands the secret of the booty.

I'd like to see more awesome melee weapons. Like the Kampfer's limpet mine/chain whip thing as a one use, powerful melee weapon perfect for fast lights or a last ditch weapon for support mechs. Hell I'd even take the otherwise awful IBO's Mech shears.

>perfect for

Can you even imagine how many ridiculous checks they'd make you roll for something like that?

>Green Ghosts
Tell an user more, please?

Personally, I want 'Mech-grade Knuckledusters/Battlefists as more than just a quirk. Claws are lame. I want to punch a motherfucker. When you can't do that though, shotgun knucks are the next best thing. Drew this cheeky little cunt up thinking about physical combat.

The Green Ghosts were a group that hit places like archeological sites, suspected SL bases et cetera in the arc "west" of the JF OZ. They would burn in and obliterate everyone in the area. One of the Jihad sourcebooks (ISP3, if memory serves) had something on them, but as far as I remember who they were and why they slotted everyone near their interests was never fully explained.

Meh. Considering the region and the targets, someone wanted to keep the RWR buried.

bamp

Should KONG Interstellar's security mercs become a canon unit?

Our glorious deeds in MWO say yes

>it's even spreading to /btg/
only a matter of time i guess

To be fair that's KONG, which is like the garbage pool of Veeky Forums plus nerds that only play vidyatech. They count about as much as the OF.

Are there any good pieces of art of reference material for what military outpost and bases tend to look like, I get that they probably wont rely on walls and stuff.
Stuff like do they keep all base facilities in one place or are logistical things kept at a base further in the back. I dunno just need some inspiration.

Actually, they totally do rely on walls. One of the magical things about Battletech are the construction materials available. The concrete is super tough, and most military structures are hardened, which can withstand a brutal amount of damage. You can easily have buildings that basically have the equivalent of 10 tons of standard Battlemech armor, and that's just for something like a seismicly stable skyscraper. Fortresses and Castles Brian all have massive walls, subfortifications, earthworks, moats, ditches, Czech hedgehogs, and barb wire. All the traditional defensive works from the 14th century till the 80s. Also the requisite turrets, artillery batteries, pillboxes, and all that too.

Oh, and Castles Brian could withstand orbital bombardments and nukes.

I don't have any art on-hand, but many of the source books, especially old ones, have images of military emplacements and bases, and I think there are a few pics of Castles Brian.

Don't forget that the Word turned part of the Giza complex into a Castle Brian too.

Newbie question here.
About these fortifications, how effective is LRM thunder infernos on causing fires? Can a fast mech armed with them race by, fire a few volleys to set the place on fire and retreat?

Of course, the trick is that, according to the lore, fortifications are utterly useless if your enemy is
>a):clanners
>b):butthurt
>c):both

Thunder infernos lay mines, not start fires. As far if they are set off, I don't know what roll(s) are made.

Have you grabbed the rulebooks yet from the OP? There's rules in there for starting fires, and both LRMs and SRMs have incendiary ammo, though the LRM ammo isn't tourney-legal I don't think. Thunder ammo lays mines, by the way; it doesn't start fires. I don't personally use fire that often so I don't have the rules memorized. I usually am using MegaMek since it handles all the special rules like that. In meatspace games we avoid the extra bother.

>clanner
>butthurt
Isn't that always both though?

What's better, the Vedette or the Tiger?

>That's the joke.png
(c) is for Clanner.

Sorry, just making sure.

Tiger. The AC/10 and SRM4 is just an enormous boost to firepower and honestly, with tanks, unless you're using Improved Vehicle Survival they are going to get crit to death before they legit die so why bother with it?

Vedette by a hair. AC/5 and 5/8 speed lets them keep the range open.

Tiger's got such thin armor and only moves 4/6 though.

Eh, I stand by the fact that crits fuck Vees so hard in the base rules that the extra armor on the Vedette doesn't make up for it. 6 tons of armor is plenty against an AC/5 popgun.

Actually, the Vedette has 6 tons of armor too. I just checked. So definitely the Tiger.

This is really helpful, thanks a bunch. Is there a general fort design which gets used like a bastion fort or is it different for each faction?

Vedette all day long. You can actually get or make parts for the Vedette on just about any rock there is while the Tiger is extinct by 2900. Actually, since the Vedette wasn't invented until 2943, there's never a time when you should have a choice between them.

Plus you also have to consider the Vedette gets upgrades. The RAC5, LGauss and Gauss versions are actually pretty mean comparatively.

Read McCarron's Armored Calvary. Then read the Castles Brian section of JHS Era.

*Terra

They all look different post-Star League, but the SLDF was pretty big on standardization. After all, it had companies of the same design instead of the traditional mixing we think of when we play the game. Except Dracs; they're used to it.

Well if we're considering all that then yeah, Vedette. I figured they just meant the 'objectively' better tank. Which, if you sicced the two on each other, would usually be the Tiger. But adding logistical concerns then the Vedette is the Bug of tanks, so it's ubiquitous.

>he's a MULfag
The MUL doesn't even say it's extinct in 2900, and "extinct" doesn't literally mean something has no presence anywhere in BT. Just means it's out of production pretty much. This has been demonstrated against the MUL with canon fluff numerous times.
/rant

>"extinct" doesn't literally mean something has no presence anywhere in BT. Just means it's out of production pretty much.

Except that's wrong. They keep stuff out of extinction for even one or two confirmed functional canon machines. See the story of the Shogun.

And the entry of the Tiger says it went extinct at the end of the early Succession Wars. Odds are the date is even earlier than 2900.

>Except that's wrong
Except it isn't, as has been demonstrated in threads both here and on the OF.

Honestly nothing is worse than seeing someone treat the MUL, a non-canon collaborative piece edited by the like of AlexanderKnight, roosterboy and MadCap as some sort of holy gospel.

Cool I will take a look, what is it a novel, source book or something else? make it easier trying to find it in OP

Dude it's been made clear on the OF that extinct can still mean a handful of machines are around. It doesn't mean none exist anymore.

The MUL is a fuckup on many fronts, but it is canon and the Tiger is double extra extinct by 3025 with or without it. And one or two things surviving in a militia garage or a museum somewhere is not relevant. The Tiger is a design shoehorned into the back of a historical with an expiration date so it doesn't fuck with the Late Succession Wars material. Just like the Talos and everything else from that book is gone by then.

>Just means it's out of production pretty much.

It means less than a handful survive.

Sourcebooks.

>I figured they just meant the 'objectively' better tank. Which, if you sicced the two on each other, would usually be the Tiger.

Base Vedette would dictate range and pillbox the Tiger on any kind of open ground with standard crews. Rolling 10's on the AC5 while he's either unable to shoot back or staring down the barrel of 12's on extreme. It's the Tiger that has Demolisher syndrome. It needs some tight terrain or surprise to win. And if you throw in the New Earth Trading Company upgrades, it doesn't even become much of a contest.

>open ground
Are we really going to do this? Of course it goes your way when the circumstances are the exact thing you need to 'prove your point'. This is like, HEW-grade logic man. But whatever.

IF the Tiger can close. Which with an AC/10 as its longest ranged weapon, and only 4/6 to the Vedette's 5/8 is...naw. Vedette is the better tank

Gets it.
Yeah, and? The Vedette has the speed to dictate the engagement. They get to pick when and where they fight, so of course they're gonna choose a battlefield where they have the advantage.

Sure thing, hoss.

I don't mean a flat plain. I just mean room to maneuver. Even in standard woods maps this still applies. You need a city or a rubble fight for it not to matter.

What I find ironic is this is how you're told to use the Vedette in the first place, all the way back in the mid 80's. "Hit him with the autocannon, dictate the range, then hit him again."

Vedette, it's a toss up and situational intro tech but the Ved in fluff is the yardstick all other tanks are measured by for a reason.

Some later models get crazy useful

>the MUL, a non-canon collaborative piece edited by the like of AlexanderKnight, roosterboy and MadCap as some sort of holy gospel.

Are you fucktarded? The MUL is absolutely canon. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you get to ignore it.

>Some later models get crazy useful

The LGR model is the ultimate Troll Tank.

My user,
Yes that's a total riot and I've really done crazy damage with them.

I like that scene, it has that "fuck swords, eat some lead" Indian Jones thing going on.

Too bad the Kampfer is yet another small production run suit, it's one of my favorites, along with the Gouf. Blue paintjob + monoeye is tops.

Since talking Vee's I have a soft spot for Drillson's they always seem to do me right. Am I a bad person?

Not at all. The only bad person I know was the asshole who thought to put improved heavy medium lasers in a Savannah Master.

Yeah it's pretty great

There's a picture of a Castle Brian behind the Omega in this image

It is, hands down, my favorite suit of all time. And it gets all of like 2 minutes in the lime light before being eclipsed by another seemingly generic "good guy" MS.

Kampfers got all kinds of style.

I dunno, I like the Alex okay. It's got a pretty good color scheme and is one of those dead end suits that make sense.

>Turning sacred Devil's Tower into a military super bunker
>Doing the same to Giza
One thing you gotta love about Battltech is the total lack of giveafuck exists beyond the Inner Sphere at large to Terra itself. Like that one Star Lord who bulldozed the Alamo in downtown San Antonio for his vacation home.

I like the Alex, it's got a MBT feel with the autocannons and spaced armor. But I feel the big issue is that the mechs get so little screen time in War in the Pocket, and then are pretty much never seen again.

>STD engine
>gets laid and gets paid
...haha, what? Bravo, user. Much joy, much clapping.

Dude, Space Dandy is >exactly< up the alley of pretty much everyone I know who plays BT. Even the 50-foot Lesbian. In fact, especially her, because she's a goddamned lech to a level that puts me to shame.

>Nobunaga the Fool
Mmmmm, delicious history rape.

Buster-knucks in BT would, indeed, be the shit. I recall there being a taser-knuckle for Battle Armor, but I want to get my Priss on at 12m instead of in a PA(L), y'dig?

Group of mystery troops in green. Strongly implied through insignia and behavior to be Dark Caste from the Reaved Clans and/or Blakies teaming up to push in everyone's shit. Use a lot of old Star League gear, Clan second-line equipment, and limited Blakie and Comstar hardware. They hit a bunch of HPGs in the second Blackout, own a very goddamned nasty WarShip, and have been tooling around the Periphery stealing old Blakie, SL, and RWR shit while murdering anyone on-site.

They're basically the anti-Devil's Brigade, but CGL abruptly started ignoring them once they did the most recent storyline meeting thing about 5 years ago.

Good God, is that "Gentleman Johnny" Clavell I see?

Huh, well that's nothing new in BT, plotlines like that get dropped in earlier books aswell, though I have a feeling they where a brainchild of either Ben or Herbert as that was about the time Herbert stepped aside

Supposedly, they were going to tangle into the Wolverine plot somehow, then they decided to shift the focus to all the Blood nonsense in Blake Documents instead.

I herd u talkin trash bout my GEAAH?s.

Thanks a bunch. I was wanting to make a one-off character that pilots an old modified Assassin that has the rest of his lance buying him time to pyro things in enemy camps then bolting. I guess he'll have to use SRMs with infernos and have a little more danger to the missions.

>The meta-source MUL is absolutely canon
[citation needed]
hey AK

It being canon is the whole fucking point of it existing in the first place. They have a team of staff devoted to it and even has its very own god damn errata thread, the first post of which says "It is every bit as official as any TRO or sourcebook, if not more in many cases."

If you want to be a shrieking retard be my guest, I can't stop you. Everyone else has half a brain and already knows that the MUL, as moronic as it usually is, is also hard canon.

>what is a meta-source
aka, non canon. being "official" isn't the same thing, if you can read.

if you want to shriek over your often-wrong collaborative piece, I can't stop you. everyone who has a brain knows that the rule with the MUL is "trust but verify". honestly the only things hard here are your head and my cock.

>CGL says its canon
>you say it's non-canon

Well, I'm glad you cleared that up for me.

>>CGL says its canon
still waiting on that famalan, because it's not what the thread says and the leads on it have deemed it a meta-source. got something else?

>already provided source
>PTB have always said it's canon
>he's still going REEEEE

I'm out.

>"source" is refuted
>stand by it autistically
>REEEEEE when called on it

Good riddance. The OF misses you.

Does /btg/ like the Bushwacker?

Do you have any custom variants for it? Or for the omni-Bushwacker?

I like the L1 a lot. The S2 isn't bad if you have another mech to open up holes for it.

I'm playing with the -X1 right now actually.

I've dropped the MGs, AC/10 and ammo, and the CASE in its Right Torso, then added an ER PPC for the main weapon.

Then I swapped out the XL engine for a standard, and added Endo-Steel.

I kept the 9 tons FFA and 11 DHS, and have 3 free tons left.

What do you think I should add?

>I have 3 tons left
>what should I add?

If this is for tabletop and not MWO, you need some more DHS to deal with the 29 heat running alpha on the main energy weapons.

If you mean for MWO, you're asking in the wrong thread and should try /v/ or/vg/.