What card game has the best resource system...

What card game has the best resource system? Like magic that you have to draw lands or hearthstone that gives you a crystal every turn.
What card game do you think does it the best?

Poker

Duel Masters, but it could be made better.

Unironically Yugioh

WoW TCG

This

Yugioh is a clusterfuck of a card game, but the resource management is simple, yet has a surprising amount of depth. If you play Yugioh without extra decks it's actually pretty /comfy/

I like NetRunner's system.

You have a set number of "clicks" a turn and you can use them to draw/get creds(the "mana")/take actions.

Alteil and the HoMM card game used spheres.

Yes, you got some mana each turn, but you had to spend them on spheres first before you can spend them on units/spells of that sphere.

Alteil also had this cool thing where you recover the mana spent on the monsters when they die, or you can spend 1 mana to revive them; reviving a monster that just gets killed every turn is a mana sink, and letting it die to then play a bigger monster next turn is often the winning move, which was a very fun back and forth gameplay mechanic.

My nigga!

I second this. Its like a less shit version of the MTG system.

I created my own card game, and I think the resources work quite smooth in the game. Basically, you have 3 types of resources:

1) actions (each player has 5 actions per turn)
2) cards in hand (you discard cards in hand to use other cards)
3) health of your characters (some effects consume health of your own characters)

With these, the game works like a charmer. Its a system really easy to understand, even for non-gamers playing the game for the first time, but also have room for a lot of complexity that more advanced gamers like.

Doesn't have enough granularity. Too many effects wouldn't be able to find the right cost, with the costs either being too low or too high.

I agree that granularity is always an essential thing to take in consideration when thinking about resources for a game, but to be honest, I never had problem with it. Right now I have a little bit under 300 cards (for the first set) and I never had any major problem with granularity - if an effect should cost between N and N+1, I give it a little side effect (or drawback) to fit it into its cost.

Also, considering it has 3 resources, its a lot more to offer than most card games where you have only one main resource (lands, mana crystals, whatever). (though only 1 of the five "colors" actually use all three resources)

I feel that lowering the extra deck to like 4 and having restrictions for only using it in later turns would make normal monsters get more mileage and make the monsters special summoned be much more "special".

Yugioh has the absolute worst resource system of any game.

How does WoW work?

Duel masters, every card being mana was a great idea.

those lands are top tier

This is a really smexy concept, I wish it caught on in other stuff

I wish duel masters got more support over here. It's a shame wizards killed it and turned it into an abomination before we got all the crazy sets. And then killed it again.

>I made my own game and it has never been play tested therefore it is perfect

you have land like in magic but you can play any card from your hand face down and it'll count as a land

WIXOSS, you draw two and you can turn a card into ener(mana) in your upkeep, when you lose life it turns into ener and destroyed monsters usually turn into ener too

It's been a while, but if I recall, if you played a creature or something face down, you could later play its cost, like Morph to turn it back up? Or once it was lost it was lost?

Raw Deal. It translates a wrestling match perfectly to TCGs,

MECCG.

It's like duel master system

I've heard a lot about Duel Masters having a good resource system and that every card can be played as a resource, but how did it work? Is every card playable as one resource of the card's type, or were there ones that provided more?

Force of Will.

AFAIK it's similar to magic but you have a separate deck for your lands and get to play 1/turn.

oh my, a Duelmasters question, my favorite!

back when I played, every card can be used as a resource, as mentioned, there wasn't any major deviation, the only minor change before the game flat out died in NA was that rainbow creatures, they went in that resource pile already tapped (because multiple civs in one card already is kindof the big thing).

The extra deck is one of yugioh's really good design points though. Like to the point that magic is always on the fringe of doing a similar thing of their own but just can't because it isn't built in like it is for yugioh.

Force of will?

New l5r is pretty good.
I like Ashes, too.

Wixoss is a work of beauty. Honestly one of the best designed tcgs I've ever played. Magic and yugioh both feel like 'gen1' tcgs in the sense that a lot of what they do, while foundational to most current approaches, feel clumsy and unrefined in comparison to the modern tcgs that have released in the last few years.

Raw Deal, where you built momentum by successfully playing cards that enabled bigger ones to be played was excellent, and nicely simulated the feel of a match.

I LOVED FFG's Call of Cthulhu, where you attached any card to one of three Domains that you exhausted to play for cards, but had to think carefully about which cards got attached, because only one could be expended to pay, and some cards needed to be paid entirely with one colour of resource.

Using any card as a resource is a mechanic that you see in a lot of Japanese games.

This is what makes me want to play this game. I live Magic, but having to build around fetches, mana sinks, thinning, and screws/floods can be annoying when you JUST want to play a fun game with friends and neither person's deck agrees.

It really is, but the difficulty of getting the cards and the sheer fact that the art is too weeb for most people kills it outside of Japan. And that sucks.

Your hand can be energy, damage you take becomes energy, and your dead dudes become energy, which means your level of aggression and play style affects not only how close you are to winning, but how ready your opponent is to use his toolbox of Fuck You.

It will never be successful though

Are you actually high on your own farts? Yu-gi-oh's resource system literally requires you to break it in half in order to play at a more than casual level.

This
You can still have plenty land matters strategies and also things that punish greedy mana bases or interact with them but it's extremely reliable, doesn't screw much with your deck building and doesn't screw with your hand and draw.

Duel Masters, but every card also has mana reburst and there are action points as well. This would establish an acceptable level of granularity.

There's credits too right? I've never played but it looks like a lot of fun.

>tfw no Battletech CCG

L5R is pretty good too

MTG probably.

>ctrl+f shadow era
>0 results
Best system I ever played imo. You can sacrifice up to one card per turn from your hand so it becomes a resource. Resources work like crystals in the HS but you don't get them for nothing - you have to decide which card can you sacrifice this turn or if you want to keep them all but you will have less resources than your opponent to use

>Ashes
Man, fuck plaid hat and asmodee for fucking that game up to high heaven release schedule wise.

Such a fun game, love the die resources and die mechanics, but only one release wave of overpriced decks per year, when you claim to be an LCG, that's just sad.

idk if anybody played the Naruto tcg (dont judge me) but it had a turn meter and every card had a required amount of turns that had to pass before it could be played.

Really basic but if you forget to up your counter you can get a little screwed

I never played WoW, but one day I thought about this mechanic and it sounded like a really nice idea.

>I made my own game and it has never been play tested therefore it is perfect
I made it (and playtested for the first time) on summer 2014. Since then I haven't focused 100% on this game because I have at least other 3 games of my own that are good enough for publishing (in my opinion, of course).

pic related: people I don't know playing my game on a gaming event here in my city. Showed my card game once to this guy, a few weeks later he invited me to come as a guest to this gaming event to show my games.

Oh yeah that was neat..
[Spoiler]mlp [/spoiler] had a unique system where both players get recources based on victory points of the highest player, so no screw...
Also allegiances shared resource pool of three resources (economic, religious, and political) sounded neat.

Rant about how great Wixoss is incoming:
>No "life points" you need to keep track on paper or with dice, life is tracked with cards. You don't need anything external to the cards themselves to play (no dice, etc).
>Combat and the resource system are integrated. Most games have a resource system, and a combat system, and they both muddle along more or less independently. While more recent games integrate the two in some way, making the game a more holistic experience.
>Excellent mix of predictability and randomness. Most games, you'll see every card in your deck, but the order you see them in changes, and their relevance in a given matchup changes.
>No mana screw, without creating an overly predictable resource development timeline like Hearthstone, Duel Masters, or FoW.
>Disposable resources, as opposed to ones that renew every turn. Ones that renew every turn lead to more static gameplay and require less long-term planning and prioritization.
>Good card flow, as opposed to mtg's .6 cards per turn.
>Probably more I'm forgetting.
Fuck I love Wixoss.

Man that's a lot of dice. I'm trying to get together a card game as well, and I have a strong personal aversion to dice. But that's a personal preference. I wish you luck in your endeavor.

too bad I don't play games that pander to loli

> Man that's a lot of dice.
All the D10 are merely counters. The only dices used in the game are D6. The character attacks have a 2d6 base damage. Besides this, some cards use dice as well (sometimes heavily, like "deal 10d6 damage"), but only the cards from 1 of the 5 "colors").

> and I have a strong personal aversion to dice. But that's a personal preference. I wish you luck in your endeavor.
I know some people don't like dices, especially in strategy/competitive games where they want to plan their actions ahead and not get buttfucked by bad luck. But having this in mind, I made the game in a way that certain strategies are more based on dices, while others are not. If you want, you can build a deck that wins without rolling a single dice (its a viable build for 3 of the 5 "colors").

Its honestly, a really good game :)

> I'm trying to get together a card game as well
I'm a game design (and a good one, in my opinion), and my focus is on card games and their mechanics. If you need any help/feedback, let me know :) I would be glad to help you

You're missing out.

End you're life

I actually think I tried that out with my cousin or something, as he was big into it. Didn't jitsus function link mtg instants/combat tricks, but only by "exiling" certain cards from your "grave of the same type?

I only vaguely remember that, because I actually like how the more things you "lost" over a game became more resource to quickly turn a one-sided battle with your "special move," in an attempt to make it feel like an animu fight. It was actually a fun game, even if I didn't recognize half the characters.

It's actually dice as counters that I dislike. They're easy to bump (what was my life total again?), easy to forget (literally everyone who plays mtg has forgotten their dice at least once), and create visual clutter. Again, it's just a preference, but I prefer to minimize the amount of non-card pieces people need to play a card game.

Although with stuff like "2d6 base damage", it sounds like you may be aiming for something more rpg-invoking, so dice may be a good fit.

> They're easy to bump (what was my life total again?), easy to forget (literally everyone who plays mtg has forgotten their dice at least once), and create visual clutter
I don't think dice as counters are easy to forget - I think any counter can be forgotten just as easily. For the other two reasons, they are valid, and the "easy to bump" is the one that most bother me. There is also a problem in my game that the characters may change position (position if relevant), and then the player needs to change the dices as well, while having the chance of changing the number in the dices accidentally. But even with these problems, it really brought more good than problems when I started using dices as a counter. It looks better than a sheet of paper with numbers, and I find it easy to take with me (I like to put it all in a small bag so I can have it with me all the time, in case I have an opportunity to play at a party or something).

> Although with stuff like "2d6 base damage", it sounds like you may be aiming for something more rpg-invoking, so dice may be a good fit.
Its not really RPG-invoking, to be honest. Its heavily MTG-inspired: it has 5 "colors", they have very strong colorpie (maybe stronger than mtg), etc. But I also tried to come up with mechanics not used in mtg, and the dice was one that made sense. It works well, especially when combined with non-dice effects, because it lets you use the dice effects first then, depending on the outcome, think whether or not to continue what you were initially going for.

Btw, I'm considering to try and publish the game, and if I do so, I think I won't use dices as counters (because that would make the game more expensive), and instead use a little notepad + pencil. I have considered other options to use as counters (health cards, etc), but so far I couldn't come up with anything better. One point to take in consideration is that usually the game features 6 characters (3 from each player) that have around 50hp

I'm glad that you can decide that a mechanic doesn't work off a single sentence, knowing nothing else about the game.

I personally like the GoT LCG where you have to choose a plotcard that determines initiative gold(mana) and claim vue(how good for violence you are on this tun) also a global effect

The best part of WIXOSS is when both players eventually have 1-0 life and both are trying to get that one attack through and kill each other as soon as possible

Some people here just assume everyone else sucks at everything. This one at least raised a question that is actually valid, which is taking granularity in consideration when coming up with a system for resources. This comment on the other hand, is just offensive for absolute no reason. Its the "user claims he is good at something, so he must be 30yo lying virgin full of himself" mentality that is always present here.

Yes, anons can be good at whatever they do :)

Zach Bell had a really interesting one. Instead of a deck, you put all your cards in a spellbook. You could only play the cards on the currently open page, and some cards had to be slotted in after a certain page number. You can voluntarily turn a page on your turn, but the real nifty part is taking damage forced you to turn pages, and if you ran out of pages you lost.

Shame the game never got off the ground.

L5R

Also, Lord of the Rings

>I prefer to minimize the amount of non-card pieces people need to play a card game
I like games that do this too, but I've never had a problem with bumped dice or decks or counters, and I played regularly in a busy school lunch room. Sure tat shit can happen, but you deck can be bumped or your card's position/orientation could be changed too.

Forgetting pieces is valid though. Games with neat too many pieces can't as easily be solved by phone-based life counters or pieces of scrap paper.

Cute Servant.
Regular reprints that makes a lot of staples less expensive.

>regular dice rolling
Remember that players hate random. Adding more elements that are out of the player's control could result in a lot of salt, and the idea itself could turn away players once they hear about it, just like how some people will never play anime games or pokemon regardless of mechanics.

>Regular reprints that makes a lot of staples less expensive.
I remember when BD promos were expensive, I am glad that they fixed it

Sounds like it's something that could be successful if it lost the anime/manga aesthetic.

Yeah, if it wasn't tied to a (relatively) unpopular anime there was some really cool stuff there. I never even watched Zach Bell, the game was just a gift from a family member who had no idea what I was in to.

no it stays face down, unless it was a quest also stash was a fun mechanic

I quite like faeria's system of gaining mana per turn, which can be stored between turns. And actions that can be spent on playing the field, drawing a card, or gaining additional mana.

never comeing to the states ever sadly. game was super fun, would buy back in but no one plays it here

Duel Masters/Kaijudo has the best resource system. It's simple, effective, and non-obstructive.

Force of Will has the best resource system of any game that's still being released though. My only complaint towards it though is that shuffling a second deck is kinda annoying though.

What card game has the WORST resource system?

It's FFTCG, right?

Though it pretty much only works in UFS, the UFS system is fantastic,

Each card has a difficulty (top left) and in order to play it you flip over the top card of your deck and check the control value(bottom right), if it equals or beats the difficulty, you can play the card, if it doesn't your turn ends. There's also "Foundations" that either enhance your attacks or add to control and a penalty added based on the number of cards you've already played that turn.

I've been making a card game recently and I'd like to know user's opinion on the resource system I've been using.
Basically each deck has a hand size and a resource value. Each turn you draw up to your hand size and gain resources equal to your resource value.
Both of these are tied to deck construction and generally decks with cheaper cards will have a large hand (and 0-cost cards are a common occurrence in the game) and more expensive decks get more resources.

So does each card have a deck bonus value that increases the hand/resource size by 1 for every some points?

Deck construction is more like a mix between Conquest with 3 warlords that are Supports rather than units and Star wars.

You pick 3 sets of cards to construct your deck from, each of which give some amount of resources and hand size. They also come with mandatory cards and some more optional cards used to fill out the rest of your deck.

>Using any card as a resource is a mechanic that you see in a lot of Japanese games.
This actually is exemplified in Mottainai, which also explains why the concept is so prevalent. Japan has an interesting concept on "waste" and Mottainai is a game where every card matters as material or points/ability, and even what you can and can't do.

star wars destiny has a pretty good resource system. Your characters and cards can generate mana as one of the things they can do, among everything else in the game like shoot or create a shield or whatnot, and you have to consider the statistical liklihood of getting a mana every time you roll your dice, dependent on how many mana symbol results are on the dice you include in your deck.

I come from years of mtg and this game is refreshing and fun.

I play a lot of elder scrolls legends and hearthstone too, but those by far have the worst resource systems of them all. Simply being given one per turn eliminates the deckbuilding aspect regarding considering the statistical liklihood of getting the mana you need that is present in Destiny or Mtg etc. That isn't to say those games are bad.

After seeing it boasted about on here I actually bought a few super clearance booster boxes from the first set online, it's greatly interesting and I wish there was some more interesting application of mechanics of some kind. The book thing is great but you can really boil it down to math regarding which Mamodo did the best spread of damage and ability.

Everybody's talking about TCGs.

Are there any deckbuilding games with good resource systems?

Not as cool as each card having its own deck bonus value.

y'know... I really, really miss Duelmasters...

I think that would probably be way too fiddly for most people and just clutter up the cards. Plus I like restricted deck building.

That'd require a lot of keeping tabs on each individual value.

Sounds like how Codex uses gold. Because Codex has a deck-building aspect, it can be advantageous to pitch a surprising amount of cards out of your hand over the course of the game.

>You slowly build up resources over the course of a game, making the actions played late game considerably more powerful than actions in the early game.
>Players get the same amount of resources to use every turn so the actions are consistently powerful over the course of a game.

Which is better?

I hate to come across as a broken record, but Wixoss really hits the best of both worlds. Ener production is relatively constant turn to turn, but in the early game it's tied up with fairly procedural actions (leveling up), while in the late game there's more freedom to start throwing powerful arts and spells.

Neither. The superior option is:
>You have a limited amount of resources at the start of the game, and must carefully decide when to use your most powerful actions because your opponent may be able to counter those actions if you use them too early.
>aka: all spells cost HP to cast

>Your deck size is your life total.
>All damage is done via mill
>Your resource is removing your discard pile from play
>(Obviously some cards cost no resources)

Time to get cuhrazee

Is this an actual tcg, or is this some user's crazy idea? If you can get the number right, this could actually work.

Yeah, the deck building limitations came from your hero rather than resource color. IE: a horde tauren shaman could have horde cards, shaman cards, or tauren specific cards. Some sets had some limitations like picking scryer or aldor faction stuff for your deck.

But, the quests as resources, plus any card put face down if no quests are in your hand, let you meet your resource curve more easily than in MTG where you specifically must have land cards. It removes the possibility of getting 'mana screwed;. You can still effectively get the same effect as mana flooded, if you draw a hand of nothing but quests, however. The removal of one of the least fun outcomes of a MTG game is nice.

Decipher's SWGGC operates sort of like that. Your 60 card deck is your 'life force'. there is a cycle between your reserve deck, force pile, and used pile. At the start of your turn, you move cards from your reserve deck to your force pile, and you pay the cost of cards out of your force pile. cards used to pay go into the used pile. at the end of your turn, the used pile goes to the bottom of your reserve deck. There are may options while playing to force discards from the various piles (loss of combat, force drains, etc). when your reserve deck runs out of cards, you loose.

What about
>You start with lots of resources and your income slows over the course of the game.
or
>Your performance in the game determines the amount of resources you gain.

It's not really a question of better, but more about what sort of feel you want the game to have.

Try UFS

Of all card games I played I likes resource system in MMDoC the most. Mana gain and increase (+1 each turn) are automatic but cards require stats to be played. Each hero has starting stats and every turn can use action to increase one stat by 1.

For example, you nice earth magic board wipe requires 3 Magic and you hero has 1 or 0 at the start. If you want to play it early you have to invest in Magic stat which means your Might remains low and you have access only to weaker creatures. If you are against slower decks you might chose to invest in better creatures and raise Might but your spells will be playable only later and you can switch fast.

>likes
C'mon now

>TFW you aren't as much as an embarassment as this chick

>>You start with lots of resources and your income slows over the course of the game.
Sounds like Megacorp, except how much resource you start with depends on how much you "bet" against the other play to decide who goes first.