Starfinder General /sfg/

Starfinder General /sfg/

Alien Edition: How are you going to make alien species unique in your own games?

/sfg/ unified link repository: pastebin.com/BBVzM7tm
Cheatsheet: paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lk2n?Starfinder-Cheat-Sheet
FAQ: paizo.com/starfinder/faq

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-4rgswnjpZg&list=PLMifTffa0JyDa3ogFMBl0H9PkJCvyQcys&index=1
drive.google.com/file/d/0B_uga6da_8HodlVmSDZVMTQwblU/view?usp=sharing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

males have TWO penises.
females have three

I'm stealing this.

You stole my art for my character!

endless spaaaace

That very much makes them specifically not female anymore, three times over.

Pls post more sexy sky jockies.

You could use this for an Icon Envoy from that cosmopolitan water moon and nobody would bat an eye.

Fuck, I want to play a campaign as the crewmen of an intrepid terraforming ship.

I love the lore of these guys, they're aggressive Space bugs whose minds were uploaded into a virtual universe by the setting's precursor race, and have only now "uploaded" their minds to physical bodies to feast and grow.

does starfinder have stuff for planetary vehicles?

Anyone got a new link to the core rule book? Link in OP is expired.

Yeah, all of the Endless Space races are interesting. Amplitude do good lore for space fantasy.

youtube.com/watch?v=-4rgswnjpZg&list=PLMifTffa0JyDa3ogFMBl0H9PkJCvyQcys&index=1

Do you reckon a game on that scale would work? I'd love to see a game that really sold the player on the idea that their PC just jumped out of a ship in orbit, landed on his feet and then just started kicking ass.

>Ignite atmosphere, killing everything currently on the planet
>apply combination of bacterium and nanomachines to begin creation of a new environment from the ground up. One your people can live in.

I dunno it seems it wouldn't really be exciting unless you're doing it to inhabited planets whose people yours don't like.

Marginally.
It covers how to shoot back at them or involve them in chases in the combat chapter.

Was gonna come here and request character art but I see it's already happening.

Expanding to pics of starships and weapons if anybody is interested.

Tell me about your characters or ideas Veeky Forums

How would you guys stat the Vodyani for Starfinder?

Fuck, how'd you do an Endless Space campaign?

My character is Ahkrin, the kobold commando.

The kobolds have left the Golarion system to find their own future, colonizing a habitable moon in a system with no real planets, but many moons, asteroids and large planetoids. They're doing alright for themselves except for all the space pirates, raiders and other undesirables that like to pass through their system, hide out in their asteroids and raid their industrial stations.

Ahkrin joined the military at a young age for idealistic, patriotic reasons, and had a successful career. He started as a grunt but quickly moved into special forces as his talent for rapid assault and stealth infiltration was obvious.

Over time he grew disillusioned though, seeing the soldiers around him being used up and thrown away as part of an unfeeling military industrial complex, pawns to be sacrificed for the benefit of a politician in a cushy desk job.

Disgusted, but no longer able to adapt to civilian life, he quit the military and became a mercenary contractor. He doesn't care all that much about money though, wealth is just fuel to power his own personal war machine, as he fights an unending personal war for no greater cause than satisfying his addiction to battle and military camaraderie.

What's stopping you from being a Helljumper?

Got good guns?

I plan on porting in the Erathi and the Phalanx from the Aethera setting. Kinda iffy on the Androids personally and I'd rather have a more mechanical race personally.

All this art is nice and all, but why is the official starfinder art and designwork so fucking awful looking?

I'm thinking about a vesk technomancer who's convinced that the only way the Veskarium can prosper is to move beyond its obsession with physical might and embrace mass magical and technological augmentation. Grab medicine as a class skill, get used to poking around inside people, and look upon mechanics that go the internal augmentation route with both a quiet respect and a secret pity that they can only embrace the machines, rather than the mystical.

I'm not sure how best to take that mechanically, though, because that -2 Int hurts. I'd want at least 16 int as a caster, but after that... can you melee like that? Can you melee with 12 con and 10 dex? Even grabbing heavy armor, that feels really risky. And dex doesn't get a bonus, so compensating for the Int penalty really hurts trying to go that way. I like the idea, but I can't quite figure out the crunch for it.

it feels like they got the same artist as Pathfinder, but he either wasn't feeling the sci-fi themeing, or he just gave them stuff without doing the last tidy up on them

I'm looking forward to more books on cybernetic and biological enhancements. Would be a great way to customize characters.

Also want to low key have an organic spaceship

I'd also say there's a certain ugliness in the non-human races.

like, MMOs have 95% of their playerbase choosing sexy human-likes, and 5% playing midgets, or ugly races... so MMOs tend to give player 4~5 of 6 sexy races, and 1~2 ugly races.

Starfinder seems to have gone for the inverse.

the lizard guys are okay for bara

Well, lashunta are humans with antennae, and androids are humans with power lines. That's three sexy human(ish) races, three nonsexy races (barring certain interests), and bara lizards as the sexy demarcation line.

yea, I looked again, and you're right, it's just they're all drawn with corpse flesh or something that makes them look really fucking off-putting

>tfw no Lashunta gf

>implying corpse flesh isn't sexy

>it's just they're all drawn with corpse flesh or something that makes them look really fucking off-putting

I don't know, man.

yeah, Lashuntas are supposed to be extremely attractive but the art just showed them as gruff looking dudes

I guess they're supposed to fill the role of elves in that they're just humans but better

Reposting this google drive link so we can continue ripping into these ported races.

drive.google.com/file/d/0B_uga6da_8HodlVmSDZVMTQwblU/view?usp=sharing

Whoever the user was that made this, here's hoping you can edit it from last thread's critique.

>I guess they're supposed to fill the role of elves in that they're just humans but better

Every Space Opera has them, they're the blue alien space babe civilization. They're SUPPOSED to be hotter, more cultured and all-around better than Humanity, b-but they are kinda cute when you get to know them~!

oh yeah
like the sexy blue mass effect aliens (albiet without being remotely weird)

Is the combat in this game much different to pathfinder?
Is there a cover system for ranged weapons?

>but the art just showed them as gruff looking dudes

The art's been pretty consistent in portraying them as gorgeous. Take a gander through the CRB and you'll see all sorts of hotties.

the antennas on them, and syar Trek's andorians remind me of slug/snail antennas, not that insect ones would be any better

like they're going to lay eggs in your ear

>like the sexy blue mass effect aliens (albiet without being remotely weird)

Star Control and Master of Orion had them too, same with Star Trek and to an extent, Star Wars.

>the antennas on them, and syar Trek's andorians remind me of slug/snail antennas, not that insect ones would be any better

>tfw no Andorian waifu.

>syar Trek
Which country would this bootleg come from?

>Dat cape
>Dat power pose
>Dat figure

its standard WotC superhero power pose

1: Pathfinder already had 3 levels of cover system for ranged weapons (behind cover (25% or 50% miss chance), target engaged in melee (-4 to hit), blocked by other creature (25% chance to miss))
2: the combat is a bit different. Full round attacks are handled differently, for instance, and the weapon damage scale is a bit more severe

Okay.

That's not how cover worked. Cover gave AC bonuses, not miss chance.

But yes it was there.

Because you're a jaded dipshit who can't appreciate anything?

Seconding this request.

How's it feel, knowing you will never get into a game?

I'm running a homebrew sci-fi system fdor some friends, but once it finishes, I can see giving /sfg/ and Roll20 a shot

God, I fucking love the Endless races. I understand that the CRB needs to cover broad generic archetypes, but I really hope the Alien Archive will come with some crazy races to roleplay.

Aside from numbers being argued around, has anyone tried putting together a Class guide for starfinder? Kind of like rpgbot.net but useful?

Would you say a Camera is useful for a Mechanic's Drone? It doesn't seem to do all that much mechanically, however it does have substantial narrative power.

Play by post, it's hit and miss but you get in eventually.

What kind of campaign are you looking for?

Why would anybody bother?

It's all going to change when they "fix" the system. And if they don't, well then the game dies.

I don't even know! Just something for Starfinder, it can be almost anything. Ideally, I'd want something that actually has us exploring the Vast and dealing with the hassles of exploration therein, but something in the Pact Worlds would be real fuckin' neato too.

>Paizo
>Fix the system

Just for you user, user's Soldier guide:

>Stats
Decide between 14 str/18 dex, 16 str/16 dex, or 18 str/14 dex. With your level boosts also boost con and wis to help your saves.

Int and Cha are meaningless because your skills are garbage anyway. You are only ever going to have decent odds of succeeding skills tied to dex and str (so athletics, acrobatics, and probably piloting). Any other skills are entirely for flavor.

>Races
Pretty much any will work. Lashunta are the worst because they penalize a stat you care about and give a bonus to cha, and humans aren't great because the extra feat and skill point are mostly superfluous. Human looks a bit better if you want to take an archetype, because you give up a bunch of feats to do so. Android and Vesk are probably the best races because they penalize shit stats and give bonuses to a good stat with relevant other racial benefits.

>Weapons
Two handed advanced melee and heavy projectile guns (due to having the best damage and gear boost options) are the best. Melee soldiers are a little worse than solarians, while ranged soldiers have no equal (drone mechs are close but have accuracy issues if they full attack, operatives are far behind in damage). You are going to be good enough at the other kind of combat, so don't forget to invest in a backup weapon.

>Fighting Style
Bombard and Arcane Assailant are shit. Sharpshooter is the best at full attack shooting, which is what the soldier does best. Armor Assault is mediocre because power armor is kinda bad, but can be a good secondary style if you want to put a titan shield in your heavy armor. Hit and Run is the best secondary style for any primary except Armor Assault because Nimble Fusillade lets you move and still full attack. Blitz is the best primary style for melee. Guard isn't bad, but a lot of it can be replicated by feats which you have in abundance.

>cont

says you, homo.

Wanting your females to have multiple penises and, I'm going to assume, use one or more on you is excessively gay.

>Gear Boosts
All are self-explanatory, so take what boosts the stuff you want to do. Brutal Blast and Bullet Barrage are the same type of bonus and so don't stack (brutal blast is also very limited in the range it affects so its pretty shit). Heavy Onslaught is one of the most powerful gear boosts and is a big reason why heavy guns are the best for soldiers.

>Feats
You get enough feats to take everything good and then some. Weapon Focus is the only accuracy boost available, so you take it every time. Deadly Aim is actually pretty shitty because the accuracy penalty very often outweighs the extra damage. The save-boosting feats are decent enough to take, both because of limited alternatives and limited options for improving saves. Note that the devs have said Enhanced Resistance is getting nerfed to providing DR equal to half your BAB, which is still very good but won't overshadow the DR from Guard style as badly.

>Armor
Heavy armor a best, because it has the most mod slots and has better AC than light armor even with max dex. power armor is bad right now due to limited mod slots and limited options leading to severe gaps between upgrades which will hurt your AC. The biggest boon of power armor is cheating strength, which soldiers don't care about very much.

>this was a waste of time because there's one fucking book and everything is exactly as good/bad as it looks

not if they don't have balls. Everyone knows that.

Getting fucked in the butt by anything larger than a finger makes you a huge fucking faggot. Even the Greeks knew this, which is why fucking men was fine unless you're the one taking it up the pooper.

well i didn't say how big the dicks were, now did i?

>14 str/18 dex

Heavy arms soldier needs only 12 Strength.

At least it's not a drone mechanic.

fairly certain that anybody who didn't imagine three huge throbbing veiny horsecocks lightly beaded and glistening with sweat are gigantic faggots

What's wrong with drone mechanic?

>unarmed strikes aren't operative weapons
>neither are the glove-based weapons
>no DEX to attack or trick attacks with either

Seems like a waste, you'd think tactical punching would be pretty rad. It also seems to be a downgrade from PF, where fists were light weapons (and therefore subject to finesse). There doesn't seem to be much for having an unarmed character, outside of porting over a PF monk. I mean it doesn't really fit sci-fi, but it would be fun to play a martial arts guy in space.

Also, speaking of punching dudes, the scaling for improved unarmed strike damage seems kinda uneven. Compared to other basic melee weapons, it will generally do less damage at early levels, pull even midway, and then start to lag behind again. The only advantage it seems to provide is "hands-free" melee attacks, which you nearly have by just buying battlegloves (which I guess it outperforms once you hit level 20, so there's that), it just costs you a swift action that unarmed strike does not. So the trade-off is do you want to spend a feat or 200k on the best battleglove to punch dudes while wielding another weapon.