EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Fuck the World" Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: What's the most spiteful play you've ever made? Been on the receiving end of? Seen?

I conceded before allowing a trigger that required me being in the game to resolve.

The last time I played with my friends, everyone had enough clones or originals of tax cards, such as Augustine or Spelltithe Enforcer to cancel one another out, but after the second Augustine I couldn't cast.
A few turns in, I couldn't cast Fog unless I paid an additional six and/or sacrificed three permanents of some sort.

>What's the most spiteful play you've ever made?

not really spiteful, just took over a guys zurgo and killed him with it, resulting in him sperging out and kept mumbling about blue being a shit color and focusing me the next game

Vampiric tutoring a notion thief with senseis top in play and enough mana to cast when my friend dropped the last card in his hand being Sandstone Oracle.

This dude is hella strong in EDH. Wish I used him sooner. He's a real saltmine desu.
His upkeep doesn't even matter when you can just rape all your friends commanders the moment they hit the battlefield.

so this... is the power... of dimir.........

dude running Circu again.

I'm reading up on U/B storm but people are saying to splash Red or Green for storm effects, but I can't find any commanders that help me mill in Grixis, and if I was gonna splash blue in Sultai I'd just turn my Jarad deck into Sidisi. Besides I want to mill others to death not myself.

What do you guys think, big dick it with Circu because I love the fucker to death, or am I actually missing out on huge storm potential.

>Splash blue in Sultai
I meant Golgari.

Made this mogis deck once that just boardwiped every turn and had every earthquake effect ever to deal tons of damage to everybody

Had to take it apart after too many games where I was dead on board so I nuked everybody with earthquakes and it ended in a tie

I actually think someone was just fucking with them and posted some c17. I didn't see Decree of Pain, Crucible of Fire and Apprentice Necromancer, and I was autistically refreshing reddit and twitter hashtags. Unless they have some insider info it looks that way.

Rosheen did that a lot. Still don't know if tying the game if you are gonna lose is kosher.

Gotcha.
Well, sucks if so for necro and Kiki, but glad I won't end up pulling decree, crucible, or apprentice.
With dragons being "iconic" I can unfortunately see crucible being in, though.

can't decide on my next commander

>1-3 Rashmi
>4-6 Sygg
>7-9 Sydri
>0 Bosh

Does anyone have that one image with all the color combinations with what stereotype they sync up with? I think black/red was edgy and mono-green was new player and shit like that.

That's just a photo of Mark Rosewater's back tattoo, bro

Well, we don't know if they are for sure not in there, There is just no proof currently. If noone posted those anywhere, that probably means whatever the 5 missing cards are, they aren't that good or expensive.

I had a game with Teeg once and I had that kid playing Sydri constantly trying to remove him, while having Teeg on board was absolutely crucial to prevent our combo players from going off. I couldn't do anything in terms of attack damage and tried to convey my idea to him to be pummeled to death with his sphinxes the next turn. Then the combo happened and he lost.

Next game I had an exhumed It That Betrays maul him to death

I want to hold her hand and maybe kinda brush her wings.

Also, anyone have sick flicker tech?

Having both Kuro and Horobi on the board at the same time is a real hoot.

Looks like your digits have you cancerous simic shit

is there ANY card in the game with more flavor than this guy?

maybe if he could turn artifacts, creatures, and walkers into gold he would actually be good

Kamigawa for lyfe yo!
Lots of cards I thought were shit really shine now. Fuck their market research. Give us back our Samurai plane ffs.

>average player doesn't like kamigawa
>average player doesn't like lorwyn

why does the average player have shit taste?

Because the average player is an idiot

I make new rat

If he weren't mono-black he'd be a fun commander of a Vehicle deck. Like a reverse Voltron where instead of being the sole wielder of a bunch of equipment instead he's the sole pilot of a bunch of vehicles that you keep untapping him in order to crew.

King MuhCar~

I kinda wanted to play something that drew a bunch of cards anyway

I was also thinking Unesh but I don't know if he really draws tons of cards

Kamigawa was cool in a lot of ways, but it also focused so much on tribal that there weren't any of the unique kinds of odds-and-ends cards that flesh out a setting beyond its core themes. Add the facts that the non-Spirit tribal archetypes tended to be extremely narrow, that there was a serious bloat of Legends, and that it was the first set to diverge dramatically from a story that was in the very least related to Dominaria, I can see why people have a lot of contempt for it. For a lot of people who dislike modern Magic, it was quite literally the beginning of the end.

Lorwyn was cool, but at the same time it came out a lot of the casual groups I played with where we tried out weird and strange decks rather than efficient ones kind of went "pro"-deck crazy. The set itself was awesome, but the kind of fun I was having kind of died out there, so I do have at least a little contempt for it.

>Lestoration Anger

Why is she asian?

Alright peeps
I want to build something with red in it, i have 4 edh decks and none have red in them
What should i build?
Considering the vampire precon or Alesha.
Someone also recommended Neheb

why the fuck is snapcaster asian

we all know the real reason but why are there asians on this germanic plane

>Playing Intet spellslinger
>Mono black combo player kills intet at ETB until it's uncastably high
>"If you can keep a stack of free counters under your commander, I won't be able to play."
>He's been paying life for various shit, been hit once or twice, so his life is kinda low
>dump all but one life into a moltensteel dragon, taking him out
>"Now you can't play."

Planeswalkers.

>he'd be better if he was a totally different card

Goddamn you fucking troglodytes to hell

I was talking about abusing the inspired trigger, dingus.

Man, the colorfixing in the 2016 commander decks was fucking insane, wish I grabbed a deck while I still could.

>still see atraxa at walmart
Living in the middle of nowhere is great.

>mono black combo player has proper threat assessment
>autistic dragon sperg gets his feefees hurt and plays kingmaker to whoever's left in response

Not so when your whole country counts as the middle of nowhere and the only store in the goddamned country can only afford to stock stuff like commander precons on order and only during a certain period so I'm forced to order singles for literally everything.

Because the artist had a qt3.14 asian model for the art. Who gives a crap?

Maybe she's just in the middle of blinking?

>people in china: 1300 million people
>people in the us: 300 million people

>Why is she asian?

money.

>why the fuck is snapcaster asian
plz b sarcasm

>we all know the real reason

Because he was an invitational card and Tiago Chan is a real person that is depicted as Snapcaster Mage.

>friends are tired of graveyard shenanigans alesha because they hate fun i guess
>new players have joined the fight!
>brago, freyalise, kambal
>one previous player in the game, kruphix
>i pick up damia
>ramp, play some blockers, ramp, counter some bad spells, ramp, cast a few board wipes
>everyone is watching brago, freyalise is amassing elves, kambal is pillow forting up, kruphix is durdling
>geth's grimoire, words of waste, archfiend of Ifnir, Forbid in hand
>melt all the elves, kambal, brago's bullshit creatures
>hold the table hostage until people scoop because life totals were really high
>freyalise, softly: "who hurt you?"

>who hurt you
Is there a phrase in the english language that conveys more asshurt than those three words?

iunno maybe "my ass hurts"?
it was pretty great after i cloned the archfiend and nothing could survive more than a few seconds

If you go up to four, "That should be banned."

>am i being detained?

yes

>Mirrorweave into Lavinia.

what personal rules do you have for yourself?

>never use tutors unless theyre for lands
>never use off color fetches
>never use infinite combos
>never use thran dynamo, grim monolith, mana crypt, basalt monolith, ancient tomb
>never single out players
>always focus anyone who breaks my rules since they can handle it

>Pirate Commander is Grixis
>Pirate Planeswalker is Golgari

Why even live

>Mirrorweave
>Lavinia
>non-legendary

lavinia is my waifu

Shes just pirate flavored. Just cause she makes scary bears doesn't mean shes necessarily a "pirate planeswalker".

Worth it in Queen Marchesa?

Mine too.
You Mirrorweave a creature with CMC

Aaaaaahahaha. Now I got you. That's pretty sneaky, user. I like it.

>Tapped out on my turn for whatever
>Pact of Negation someone's attempt to stop me
>Get hit by an Exhaustion
he sure showed me

>playing for the first time in months
>scrapped the shitty decks I never play in favor of some new hotness

>thran dynamo
>basalt monolith
>not mana vault
>not sol ring
u wot m8?

What have you mangled together, Hal?

I was thinking the exact same thing. I still really dislike sol ring, personally.

>never single out players

whenever I get the choice to attack and it's pretty equal I pull out a dice and say player one is 1-2 p2 is 3-4 and p3 is 5-6, this way people won't hold grudge against me, it's just rng :^)

forgot mana vault, but thran dynamo and basalt monolith fall into the same "good in any deck" type of card like the rest of them, im tempted to throw gilded lotus onto my honor list too

sol ring I leave as an exception since even new players on a preconstructed can get them

IMO I hate all mana rocks that make as much or more mana than they cost to cast.
Things like Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, and Mana Vault Basalt Monolith and Grim Monolith are also in the list, just because of their abuse potential being so high.
Fast mana makes the game pretty unbalanced purely on virtue of whether or not you got your fast mana in your opening hand, plus they take up slots in literally every deck that could be used for other cards that work towards your strat. I say this because there is literally no deck in existence that doesn't run fast mana that wouldn't be made better by inclusion of fast mana.

>Limit of 2 infinite combos unless playing a combo deck
>Never tutor for an infinite combo.
>Tutoring for a combo piece is fine, but only if that piece is still useful by itself and you have no other pieces on the field or in your hand

If you like having creatures around that's a pretty valuable card IMO.

>have to use a precon again because I don't like slowly upgrading my things but just doing it in one fell swoop

I love mana rocks of all levels of garbage
Aside from the requisite sol ring, my Damia deck has three signets, clue stones, and keyrunes
Lots of land ramp for color fixing and acceleration
That's just how I have to be if I want to play a 7 mana commander that gets value by being on the board a lot

>tfw dinosaur commander alter

same, which is why I print proxies and slowly purchase the cards over time
but i'm not gay enough to print super competitive decks, I just play a commander I think looks fun

I don't know why I read that as "7 color commander."

I understand the usage of rocks of all sorts, it's just basically all of what said.
They make decks better rather than funneling into a theme, which, to me, is less rewarding than adding more theme pieces. But, don't take my word for it, I'm kitchen table casual.

Land ramp is totally fine, though.

Mana rocks, like Signets, Keystones, etc, are fine to me since they don't give you as much or more mana instantly the turn they're played.
Signets are a bit on the line since they give you +1 mana after the first turn, but any other mana rock is typically 3 mana to cast for +1 mana every turn after.
I'm saying I hate mana rocks that give you the full investment or more back that same turn, because they also tend to give more mana than comparable mana rocks later. Sol Ring and Mana Crypt give +2 mana every turn for example.

I leave worn powerstone, sol ring, and gilded lotus as still playables since theyre gilded and worn are fair for their cost and sol ring is the edh staple card every player should own

I also refuse to play eldrazi, karn/ugin, extra turn cards, or medalions

rock that give less then what it costs to get them out are fine, its when you toss thran dynamo, grim monolith, mana crypt, basalt monolith, ancient tomb, temple of the false god, mana vault, sol ring, gilded lotus, and worn powerstone into every single deck you make because they just WORK in every single deck is when it becomes dirty

at least thats the honor in me, I think netdecking and edhrec is 100% fine but these cards just irk me

If he couldnt kill anyone else he did nothing wrong. Stay gay fag.

Daily reminder that imposing restrictions on cards you play makes you a salty passive aggressive faggot and that you ARE that guy

>three fingers

It's shit, user.

t. the guy in the shop no one invites to the game

>He goes to shops to play!

>playing edh at lgs
>playing mtg at lgs
Nah man.

Favorite card in Iconic Masters so far?
>pic related, dat seb mckinnon art tho

So I'm currently sitting on this pile of cards to build my Gishath Dino EDH around. Apart from obvious stuff like "every good dinosaur", what are some good things to add/remove? Want to play 20+ dinosaurs, so feel free to be pretty rigorous with cutting shit.

Toss up between Kokusho, New Serra Ascendant and Channel.

i'm happy to see the future sight lands. nothing else i'm super into. might grab a serra ascendant if the price drops a bit.

If you copy an Epic spell (like with Increasing Vengeance), does the copy generate Epic copies every turn as well?

>going to the LGS for anything other than cheap bulk singles

>his lgs stores bulk singles

Yes.

>dont play certain cards because the deckbuilding restrictions make for more interesting choices. It also provides a challenge, increase diversity in my playgroups interactions, and gives me surprise wins
>im THAT guy
seems about right, /edhg/ is over.

The new art on Bladewing, the Commands, and the Kamigawa Dragons are great.
Not really into the Malfegor art though, the original feels like it fit better, at least to me.

this pretty much

>decide to play pickup game with two shop regulars since nothing better to do
>Decide to use Zirilan since I don't want to be a dick pubstomper
>they use BW Daxos and Newlamog
>growing concern
>Daxos players spends the entire game pillowforting while Newlamog player does regular Eldrazi bullshit
>Decide to try to win, start tutoring out Spawn of Thraxis and Scourge of Valkas, pining both players so i'm not "focusing"
>Daxos players says "wow guy take it easy"
>Start getting bullied by pillowfort since I'm bypassing all his gay enchantments and just dealing direct damage, eldrazi player continues to ramp, try to keep him down but not getting any help from the Daxos player
>try to win by tutoring out Worldgorger to trigger my Valakut a jillion times
>Daxos player instant speed O-rings Worldgorger so I just exile my board
>two turns later Eldrazi player dumps a shitload of beaters and wins with annihilator
And so I learned, kill Eldrazi players on sight and pubstomp because you'll get focused anyway

Ancestral Vision and Serra Ascendant also have great new art, but the new O-Stone and Guttersnipe art I'm not a fan of either.

>tfw never going to have every epic spell active at the same time
Search for 5 spells and cast them when?

Zirilan is such a baller Commander.

That's overall piss, but you gotta admit, that's a pretty funny play by Pillowforter
Tell me, when he did it, did you tilt your head and smile a little?

Just cast 1 Epic spell, then cast/copy Quicken 4 times to cast the other 4 before the first one resolves.