MTG Competitive Modern Genera

Iconic masters reprints edition
What iconic masters reprints for modern are you still waiting on? Will you be pimping out any deck in particular?

Playing, Hating, all that stuff

>RESOURCES:
>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-67-13-tix-modern-mono-red-burn
mtgtop8.com/event?e=16770&d=303711&f=MO
youtube.com/user/starcitygamesvideo/videos
mtggoldfish.com/decks/budget/modern#paper
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I like so much this new art. I'm the only one?

Is that a swastika?

How do I into modern?

What's a reasonable compromise between the extremes of "netdeck the latest PT winner" and "build something out of the cards I have lying around"?

How do I "learn" the format? The staple cards, deck archetypes etc. I imagine a big part of it is simply learning which cards mandatory if you run their colors/which cards are the go-to for a given effect?

Go to a store and get your freebie garbage decks, play on magic night, learn the local meta
Spend a fortune on cards because you're a dumbass playing a CCG
Don't netdick like a faggot. Look through your cards, pick an idea that sounds fun, and run it through the grinder.
Learn from how your opponents play, pay attention to the stuff that gets spit out of their deck to ruin you, pay attention to when and where your deck fucks you over, and adjust it for the next night. Repeat until you have a well oiled rape machine, then keep it up to make sure the Fuckmaster 5000 is well lubricated at all times.

The way in that I see the most is burn. Run a monored budget version, get used to the decks you see, and don't worry about not winning any games. Then you have some choices, either build one of the decks you see that you like the playstyle or upgrade your burn to something competitive. Alternately, you could also just watch youtube and twitch until you have a good idea what's going on. A workable budget burn looks like this:

mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-67-13-tix-modern-mono-red-burn

big boy burn looks like this.

mtgtop8.com/event?e=16770&d=303711&f=MO

That costs about $700. It's really quite good, but it does run into some bad matchups occasionally. If you want something that's good in the meta right now, and don't mind dropping a little more cash, I would recommend Grixis Death's Shadow, Eldratron or Titanshift. However, since these are the top tier decks and are good in the meta right now, you will run into top tier problems. Expensive, everyone and their brother plays them, mirror matches, people sideboard heavily against them, etc.

When you reach god tier is when you are ahead of trends in the meta, beat all the top tier decks with a homebrew, and your list becomes the norm that people imitate. However, frighteningly few players are at this level of godliness (I'm not either, I'm a shameless netdecker with some tweaks for spice)

Another way in would be mtgo, magic workstation, cockatrice, apprentice or another magic online program. That burn deck I showed is very cheap on mtgo, which is a paid program. There are a multitude of free and good online magic programs that would suit you well, mtgo is maybe preferred because people won't just leave your games because you start playing slow. But all of them have a somewhat sharp learning curve, and if you time out on mtgo you lose, so it can be a bit nerve wracking at first.

As for staples, you can get a pretty good idea by looking at decklists on mtgtop8.com or mtggoldfish. Generally I'd say a lot of players run thoughtseize and inquisition of kozilek, lightning bolt, path to exile, serum visions and other cantrip spells, abrupt decay, fatal push, fetchlands and shocks, tarmogoyf, kitchen finks.

But many cards are particular to their deck, for example the cards you see in living end decks and ad nauseum decks don't show up anywhere else. So format staples exist, but a lot of decks have their unique cards that aren't universal at all.

>tfw you sell cards to the struggling LGS down the street for rent money, 5 days ago
>Give guy a decent deal on some edh staples, sell my flusterstorm for 65(it was selling for 95)
>Figure he could make a decent bit off it
>today
>pic related

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know this is a little off topic
But in Magic Origins (it's the set that got me hooked) I pulled these two planeswalker ad cards from boosters. Thought they where nifty as I had yet to find out any of the lore.

Anyway I've been trying to find out if there was anymore of these printed in Origins. Which I'm guessing would have Chandra, Nissa, and my favorite Jace on them.

Would have posted to /r/ but they've seen better days

Can't link you to the exact page because this website is a piece of shit, but www.abugames.com/shop.cgi go the to 'Tips & Tricks Cards' section and Magic Origins starts on page 38. Got no idea if that's all of them because there isn't a consistent amount of them per set, but there's a lot of them.

Thanks my friends. is watching e.g. SCG's channel good? youtube.com/user/starcitygamesvideo/videos

Saw a vid from SCG of a guy playing a WUB control in MTGO and commenting on what he did/played/etc. Is that kinda stuff good to watch?

What were the odds of pulling a foil Tarmogoyf from a MM15 box? Did I use all my reserve of luck?

I'm in Black/Red, do I have any relevant 2 drops that hurt my opponents hand?

Bob. Having more cards than your opponent is basically the same thing.

Straight up no.

Not really, it's $10 a pack

will iconic masters make any decks affordable enough to buy? and when i say affordable i mean like ~$300

this time without the quote

Wrench mind, collective brutality

No it's not, bob doesn't stop combos

Titan shift maybe?

No, these reprints do not matter for modern prices.

Scapeshift is the main cost in that deck, so unless they see a reprint soon then it's unlikely

Holy lord. They used to have cards that have hints on them? Theres even some in there that show basic combos to (took me ages to get something like that going). Anyway thanks a bunch man. I've been looking for YEARS (okay maybe a little longer then a year) countless people on Amazon and Ebay pestered. Still and such a fast response. Thank you

is merfolk a decent deck in modern? ive been wanting to get into the format for a while now and always liked merfolk. i figured since aether vile is about to be reprinted now is my chance since a play set of that was basically stopping me from pulling the trigger

Madcap moon and ponza are two of my favourite decks, is there any other good decks that fuck with people's mana?

It's doing poorly right now, each victory is very hard gained but may change post ixalan, there's quite a few interesting cards that may change the deck around quite a bit.

It's a tier 2 deck. The current meta isn't very favorable to ir though

>no firewalker
>only 8 fetches
>20 lands
>wasting sideslots for lavamancer instead of running 1 main
>4 fastlands
Nope.

It's already brought prices of flusterstorm down $40

Its pretty good, better than original I think.

Now you know why those 'bloodsucking' LGSes always tried to 'jew' you.

>No, these reprints do not matter for modern prices.

Is there anything they're thinking about banning from Gifts Storm? I just lost turn 3 twice to storm yesterday, even through me killing their Baral. Seems kind of busted.

Retard newplayer jumping ship from Yugioh as Konami kills it once and for all.

Anybody able to suggest a low budget deck for me to get started with

mtggoldfish.com/decks/budget/modern#paper

literally git gud

Looking to pick up a playset of Saint Traft. Cheapest option is foils from the duel deck. Is buying those a bad idea? Will I get curved cards or do people generally take care of their foils?

I'm sorry, did the turn four rule in Modern suddenly disappear overnight? If you want to play storm, why not pony up and play in Legacy where it belongs? Or are you afraid you can't cut with decks that have the tools to interact with you?

Because a turn 3 storm kills is the starts aligning or you have absolutely 0 answers to it, by statics alone you should've won the following 2 games easy.

Storm only wins before turn four if you literally have 0 interaction and it gets fucked by hate in games 2/3. What are you playing?

>12 people show up to modern fnm
>lose first round, but go 3 1
>payout is just top 4, take 5th due to tie breaks
>the fatal pushes are given out at random
>1st, 4th, 6th, and 9th
>tfw 3 1 and only got a pack

>next upkeep draw thoughtseize through Bob

That's not possible, like I said I killed his Baral so I DID interact with it. But with three lands he was able to ritual out into a gifts, which went into past in flames, more rituals, more gifts, bing bang boom I'm dead.

>play another Baral and then ritual out

fixed

>I interacted with him once how did he kill me :(
What are you playing? How did you separate the gifts pile since he had no reducer?

I just mentioned he HAD a reducer. He played it right after I killed the first one and still managed to go off that turn. It was absurd.

When he does the gifts pile, I always send Past In Flames and whatever non-rituals he has to the graveyard. Is that the wrong play? I assume it doesn't really matter because if I give him the rituals he has enough floating red to use them and then play the flashback cost, but if I give him the Past in Flames, he still has the floating mana to cast it and one ritual in his graveyard (he was floating five mana when he gifts).

Why isn't this SB against Storm?

storm and adnaus aren't common enough yet and they usually have a counter for your counter

Does Storm run any counter that is not Remand?
Also Eidolon of Rhetoric and Rule of Law are played. What do they hose out besides Storm?

because chalice exists

eidolon of rhetoric hoses aggro if you get it on curve

Rule of Law seems bad

vengevine, snapcaster, cascade spells, possibly ad nauseam

Shit, I just figured out what happened. He was using Baral to reduce the cost of Splicing into the arcane (he'd use two red from Pyretic to do a Desperate Ritual spliced into a Desperate Ritual). Looking up it, that's not how Baral is supposed to work with Splice, is it? Jesus Christ, I should have called a Judge...

You still haven't answered what you're playing so I'm going to assume it's a shitbrew. If he has a second reducer and rituals + gifts there's not a ton you can do if you aren't playing a deck that can disrupt it with discard, removal or counterspells. You just have to hope the hate carries you in the next games.

>I always send PiF and non rituals to the yard
How to split the pile depends on the situation and sometimes it just won't matter because they'll win most of the time, but if they go for the general PiF, Ritualx2, Manamorphose pile and don't have much else you want to send PiF and Mana to hand to to choke their mana since they'd only get half of a ritual essentially as opposed to going Rx2 flashback PiF and recast their GY. There are some situations where you want to send Pif to yard though and some of them are if you have a high life total where they'd need to cast multiple PiF with chained gifts to win, they are going off with out a reducer or they are bottlenecked on blue mana. That being said a good storm player can make a good pile for the situation so that you lose no matter what.

Have we got all Iconics spoiled?
I can't find any source that isn't missing a few and wanted to be sure before making a few purchases.

Asked this last night just as the previous thread got archived. Is there anything fun and/or competitive I can build for relatively cheap by butchering up my Bant Eldrazi deck?

They'll probably be curved, especially if you livw somewhere humid

I'd suggest getting the innistrad ones as I think they look better anyway

You could probably build Knightfall for pretty cheap.

they may run dispel, someone even pact of negation.

>don't netdeck like a faggot
He said on in a thread specifically devoted to the sharing of decks and meta-discussion of the format.

Really activates the almonds.

How is Glenn elendra archmage ? I'm thinking of sideboarding her to protect my platinum emperion

Looking to brew but haven't played for a few years. Anyone have some hidden gems that could be broken?

Burn wins on turn 3 if you have zero answers too, but I don't see anyone calling for it to be banned.

I just put together Vampire Control, aka 4 blood moon, 4 liliana of the veil

I'm still dialing it in, but it seems to fair very well against the majority of the meta right now. The hand disruption is on point, and then you can just grind out with Olivia Voldaren or Kalitas or something

No, they're still shit. That will never change.

It's a shame the FNM are the best looking ones.

Soul Sisters?

I seriously hope no one is going to actually put the new art versions of Ascendant and Auriok into their deck

It's already one of the cheapest decks and nobody plays it, so no, even if they reprint the common pieces the price is gonna stay the same.

Lolno, soul sisters is gonna become FAR cheaper since there is little demand for the new cards

They both look fine, quit being a pedantic douchebag.

Didnt see the common bit. They are reprinting all the expensive staples

>playing burn
>all this talk of soul sisters making a comeback.

It's the most fun in magic I've had in years as far as competitive magic goes. It's really fluid and keeps you on your toes for decision making/reacting while flooding the board with fish.

Out of the archetypes, we only have major issues with Affinity, Elves, and one other i can't seem to recall.

If you can wait until November, Aether Vial is being reprinted, so you won't have to spend $180 just for the playset.

While the main part of the deck is a bit strict, there's tons of slots for tinkering with Smugglers Copter, Kira, the new Ixalan fish, and so on.

There's also fun in splashing white for Paths and Leylines, or splashing green for CoCos and the new green fish in Ixalan.

You'll see, magic has no problems with scarcity, I could easily get any card I wanted if I had the money, the price is decided by the sellers and never goes down by any significant amount, we've seen this with modern masters I & II I don't see why iconic masters would be any different.

While flusterstorm and mana drain aren't in modern, those two reprints would like a word with you.

Currently btfo'ing "investers" everywhere.

I want to brew up a deck similar to Death & Taxes, but with zombies. Mostly so that I can tell people I'm on 'Undeath and Taxes'.

Right now, I have Cryptbreaker, Tidehollow Sculler, Wayward Servant, and Binding Mummy, along with a playset of Aether Vials, paths, and thoughtseizes. Are there other cards I might be missing that are zombies / have zombie synergy? Maybe a couple of Liliana the Last Hope?

rate my shitty shitbrew

4 ornithopter
4 memnite
4 signal pest
4 Bush
4 Whackers

4 goblin grenades
4 shrapnel blasts
2 brimstone volley
3 Howl of the Horde
4 Kuldotha Rebirth

4 simian spirit guide
4 infernal plunge
15 mountains

Bloodghast and Relentless Dead

But Bloodghast doesn't have any type synergies.

Relentless Dead is a good idea. I think I have some floating around.

i want to splash green really badly and do coco

Netdecking does not mean sharing ideas for a deck, it's copying a successful deck 1 for 1 and playing it.

If you want to play Tribal and not suck dick the EDH thread is down the hall and to the left.

>dumb & dumber

It doesn't but you can bring it from the graveyard often and it's good at those decks, it's worht trying.

You can't use Baral to reduce splice costs. He was cheating.

I feel like it might be worth running Gravecrawler over Bloodghast, though discarding either to Cryptbreaker to make a 2/2 is a nice upside. There's quite a few cards that care about the creature being a zombie- Cryptbreaker, Binding Mummy, Relentless Dead, Wayward Servant, Lord of the Accursed. Bringing stuff back for free off of a land drop does seem really nice though.

Who shit in your cornflakes?

But copying a successful deck 1 for 1 is the number one way to learn magic, you fucking faggot.

counterflux is better
chalice

Guys, what do you think about Darksteel vials, are they going to become any cheaper in the nearby future or would it be a waste of time to wait?

I'm playing Cascade Balance online and have been having a blast.

That's not true. That just teaches you to pilot a fucking deck.

Satyr Firedancer is your friend senpai.
Soul Sisters can't gain life if you kill their life-gain sources

Wait for Iconic Masters to come out? Why even ask?

So is opt an autoinclude in jeskai geist/queller or what?
It seems strictly better than serum visions

>misusing strictly better
Neck etc.

>he hasnt seen the new hate-dino

>never goes down by any significant amount
How can one person be so wrong?