EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: Do you pimp out your deck? If so how?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/niv-mizzet-the-firemind-16/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/animar-edh-51/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/oloro-control-26-01-14-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hi-inalla-mays-here-with-lots-a-dudes/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Do you pimp out your deck? If so how?
no

>Do you pimp out your deck?

No. I would rather buy powerful or effective cards instead of premium cards.

Currently foiling out my Gwafa deck.

Buy them boosters, anons.

Not by most people's standards. I hate foils, so that rules out a lot of 'pimp' options. I pick basics that fit the theme of the deck, which is rarely full on 'pimp'. But I do generally get classic frame editions of cards if it's at all reasonably possible

>Thread Question: Do you pimp out your deck? If so how?
Yes. By removing good cards and adding more flavourful ones. It shows that I'm more thoughtful in regards to deckbuilding than my opponents.

>Built
Pic related

>Building
Brago, King Eternal (not stax)

>Brewing
The Scarab God and Edgar Markov (I'm a sucker for tribal)

>Built
Ramirez dePietro 100% Vorthos
Reaper King clone tribal ft Mirror Gallery
Isperia, the Inscrutible flying tribal toolbox
Azumi competetive combo ft MoM, Glen lockout, Paradox Engine, and Isochron Reversal
Xira Arien spellslinger, rebuilding to jund lands soon
Kemba voltron + token support, oldest deck
Solemnity Zur just built and untested
Karador goodstuff, not fun to pilot, might pick apart to feed Damia

>Building
Crouching Faggots Hidden Nephilim
Damia goodstuff
Raidmother Wort "make as many copies of plow under as possible"

>do you pimp your decks
I might be addicted to it, yes.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/niv-mizzet-the-firemind-16/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/animar-edh-51/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/oloro-control-26-01-14-1/

Also, did you guys notice tappedout has an image export function now?
Doesn't show the foil icon on the leftmost row though.

I'm foiling my Ayli somewhat, but of course, there's some cards I'll never get a foil of, such as my spicy secret tech that's still "on theme", which is cleric tribal. It forced Mayael player to scoop, since apparently it and Phyrexian Reclamation are 2strong4u wombo combo.
Some of the cards in foil are outside of my budget or I don't care enough to get them, like Angel of Despair costs like 50 euros, but I'm satisfied with my signed copy.

With the off chance that this is not bait, how are good cards somehow not as thoughtful or flavourful as the bad ones? Good cards of goodstuff cards can still be flavourful and the deck can still function while being the fanfic deck you want it to be.

I've got the same deck and it's extremely expensive. I cut some corners like FBB Sol Ring instead of Beta and I don't think I'll ever buy foil Grim Monolith.

t. spike

I got my foil grim monolith for $60, thank god.

>Enchantress
What does that mean?

Lots of creatures with enchantress in the name that draw a card when you play an enchantment. So basically an enchantment deck

bunch of enchantments, it can be incredibly powerful

There is zero chance that it wasn't bait my man.

>muh Spike boogeyman
How does it feel to be such a brainlet that cannot into deckbuilding?

Thoughts on Balan cat equipment deck?
Cut most of the artifact/equipment out of arahbo to go wide, now I got all this kitty equipment

>dont want to lose every game you play because losing every game isnt fun
>huuuuur spike

maybe its someone who likes to have fun AND isnt shit at deck building?

t. brainlet who thinks hes impressing anyone with his """optimized""" edh decks

>unironically not caring about anything other than winning
Stay classy and kys you'reselfs

not as good as sram

I won a game with it. You need protection for your Magnet Cat. Greaves, Boots, Cloak.

I try to make my commander foil if possible and not too expensive and try to run full art lands. Don't aim for much more, but tend to play the foil versions of cards that I have already.

you know you can build fun flavorful deck and a deck that can win at the same time right? its not build flavor or win. you can totally do both, its not hard

Leonin Shikari and Greaves means you laugh at targeted creature removal.

I bet you think it's okay to run Eldrazi and Phyrexians in the same deck, fagtron.

>i will see your point and raise you an ad hominem

Wew, lad. Never seen that one before. Sure got me.

Not him, but not an argument Dec.tec
Obligatory
I keep circling back to that thought. He's in the list I'm brewing anyway and may end up the commander - not sure yet

>not an argument
>a post literally telling the guy he is quoting that his post was not an argument
>im not the same guy i totally swear

feel free to fuck off to at any time

M8, we're not the same guy, and I haven't been to /b/ in over 8 years. How is it these days?

>feeling the need to impress anyone with their deck
No one cares about your "flavourful" trash deck. Only the foiled or super optimised decks with fuck expensive cards get people impressed.

>guise
>im totally not the same guy i totally swear

is right there bud, no one will miss you

Pretty boring. Most Public stunt shit happens on pol now

There are two different people replying to you - you're delusional kek

>impressing others over impressing yourself
You truly must be a brainlet.

55302612(you)

Pity. Not that it was all that good back in the day either.

>was about to post in this thread
>look at these posts
>guess I have to wait for the next thread
Get it out of your system, girls.

What were you going to post user? I need a reason to stop shitposting.

Just run Sram and put magnet cat into the 99.

Damn, this card is really good for the dino deck

It
>Activates the enrage ability
>Gives the creature trample
>Lets you draw a card
All for R

>pimping

Does anyone here like altered art cards for EDH? Do you have any cards that you would like altered?

>zada
>shit out goblins
>use that card

R8 my Inalla Tribal list and give me some suggestions what I could add or alter in it.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hi-inalla-mays-here-with-lots-a-dudes/

Supposed to have a bit of a revival/recursion sub-theme and sac outlets. Feel like I could make more out of it with some "sacrificing matters" cards.

I've always wanted some alters but I don't know where to go to get them

>using Rile to potentially kill your board with it instead of running a red cantrip without damage

I maek new wizard

user, you're not thinking like a goblin, if goblins die and do damage to enemy from dying, then it's good enough

>built

Marath, Will of the Wild

>building

Sidisi, Undead Vizier or Razaketh, the Foulblooded not sure which as either or could be the commander. I'm leaning Sidisi because her cmc is less.
Teferi, Temporal Archmage

Why not both, and Crimson Wisps for good measure?

>autismo keeps back seat playing
>will look at the next few cards someone is going to draw and tells them what they should/shouldn't do

What cards user?

Another jank king Mairsil question guys. If I cage Dragon Arch with Mairsil, activate that ability, then respond to it by returning Mairsil to my hand, can I effectively blink Mairsil?

Also the once per turn rule, how do I work around it? Quicksilver Elemental works right? If I blink Mairsil does it get around the ability?

Dumb question, but does this thing affect all players or only the guy who controls it?

>all spells
>all
>ALL
What do you think, Einstein?

read the card, it says ALL spells.
Is something a spell? it now costs one generic mana less.

I'm not a clever man. So it's global, gonna give it a skip then, not fond of grouphuggy stuff.

Wrath of God, Damnation, and similar board wipes can't kill indestructible permanents right?

"Destroy" can't kill Indestructible. -X/-X and exile cards can.

>702.12b A permanent with indestructible can’t be destroyed. Such permanents aren’t destroyed by lethal damage, and they ignore the state-based action that checks for lethal damage (see rule 704.5g).
What's with the retarded questions today?

well, if you want something that only reduces the casting cost of your spells..

A guy at my LGS was trying to argue that a Boros charm did nothing in response to his Armageddon so I wanted confirmation that he was retarded.

If torrential gearhulk lets me play an instant at no cost, but the instant has an X in its cost do I consider the X to be whatever I want?

Seems pretty cool, found these two while going through magiccards.

X will be 0

Nah, it's 0

so I'll have to tap some lands to get the X to get bigger right?

>50$
>40$

You can't pay it.

the unstable lands would look so much better without the text box

if you cast a spell without paying its mana cost, you can't pump more mana into it to increase X
that's legends for you

They're kind of shitty cards since by the time you have the 6 to cast them the discount is seldom useful, but I absolutley love the art on both those cards. Old magic art, that didn't have a theme to stick to, had a LOT of misses to be sure, but when it hits you get some seldom if ever recaptured mystical shit, modern art being too heavily guided to be that weirdly creative.

Yeah, shit's from Legends. Pretty sure Gate is like 80$ on average.

Yeah, they're only good if you can abuse artifact ramp to cheat them out but if you could cheat them out you might as well have cheated something dangerous out instead of even more ramp.

fuck, now I can't do dominate shenanigans

You could still take control of an ornithopter.

How many double strike dorks would you run in Sram?

What are essential strategies within an agro EDH deck? Usually my EDH decks are rather slow and methodical, I'm looking into setting up a grixis deck that will be have a lot of 1, 2, and 3 cmc creatures that want to get in early and fast.

But I've never built a fast edh deck so can anyone give me some tips?

Don't do it. Fast aggro doesn't function in EDH. You can kind of win with crawwurm midrange, but 40 life and multiple opponents is WAY too much time for traditional aggro to function.

If you're doing victory though combat you need haste enablers and ways to get huge alpha strikes going along with the ability to protect your board or ways of rebuilding it instantly.

can you go infinite with palinchron and panharmonicon by tapping your lands in between the triggers?

Well the agro serves a bigger purpose. It'll be a pirate deck with Beckett Brass, lots of extra turns and fast pirates with evasion. Swing in hard and fast to steal the mana rocks of my slower opponents and use those to fuel my extra turns which will in turn steal me more shit to win the game with.

fast aggro decks dont really do well in edh, the closest thing you are really going to get is voltron but even then thats not very good

>will look at the next few cards someone is going to draw
Murder is the solution here.

Aggro in EDH is not your classic aggro with low cmc creatures, it's more like:
>ramp like a motherfucker
>cast really big dudes
>give them haste and pump them
>kill someone/the table

Xenagod is a good example commander for this kind of strategy

Yes, Dragon Arch chooses the creature when it resolves, so if Mairsil is in your hand you can pick him. The thing about Quicksilver Elemental is that if it's uncaged it'll always have its own ability, and if it's caged then Mairsil using that ability will give him another use of that ability. If he can produce blue mana he can keep giving himself more uses. And yes, if you blink him he gets his abilities again.

Well that's a horse of a different color. what you need comes down to two factors

>Evasion
Your pirates have to get through for Beckett to work, which means that blockers are a drag. Anything that limits or disables blocking is to your advantage. Intimidation (+ Thran Lens) could be OK here. Beckett Highway Robbery isn't going to be ultracompetitive, so give into the jank side a bit if it works.

>Relentlessness
The doom of most aggro is that something stops it and then it can't just restart. Wrath of God will leave you asking "What now?" even if you've got great evasion, as will virtually any chaff-clearing. Depending on how good your draw is, even attrition will grind your pirates to dust since there just aren't that many of them (Though if you Xenograft/Conspiracy that's a thing). You're in black, though, so getting some consistent graveyard recursion as well as some splashy recursion isn't beyond hope. Both Patriarch's Bidding and Oversold Cemetery will help you recover.

Good sleeves and any foils,full art or old prints I can get my hands on. I'll probably foil out a tasigur deck since it's my first commander when im a old stanky wizard

Yes.

> Do you pimp out your deck? If so how?

I usually try to foil up my most worthless cards in my deck, so as to trick timmys into thinking I value those cards more than others

How's this guy as a voltron commander?

If you want to try a solid mono green deck, I've won many games with this guy and a deck full of creatures that cost less than their P/T should warrant. Garruk's Companion, Terra Stomper etc. Super super fast.

Kodama of the North Tree is better.

I dont understand. How in any situation would I ever play that card in any format?

>Kodama of the North Tree
>can't fucking attach equipment to him
>better
>voltron