Equipment and Armour

What is adequate armour for a woman setting out on your standard fantasy adventure?

Leather? Brigandine? Mail? Cleaving showing cloth to distract foes?

And what is some *ESSENTIAL* starting equipment Veeky Forums would recommend for any fantasy adventure?

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/-4_Str
loverslab.com/files/file/2103-plate-armor-plus-from-oblivion-to-skyrim-by-rhodanum/
ejmanager.com/mnstemps/34/34-1410375823.pdf?t=1431210729
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Something that'll increase her strength by 4.

Brigandine because brigandine is fuckin rad

Eh?

Now I feel old. 1d4chan.org/wiki/-4_Str

That's a little toxic, don't you think?

Anything you want. It's fantasy after all

>that's toxic
fucking kill yourself. cucks like you are the the reason society is failing.

Not really, females are objectively weaker and more fragile than men. It makes a lot of sense

>getting mad in a troll thread

There's a reason the emperor decided to make all SM males...

Friendly reminder that nobody who uses cuck as an insult ever has, or ever will be vulnerable to cucking, because that requires women to be willing to even pretend to be in a relationship with you.

As for the first question, I'll go with a classic and say: It depends on the setting. The beginner adventurer is most likely to be equipped with something of cheaper end, that could be different things depending on settings technological level and such.
Essential starting equipment for me is:
backpack, rope, canteen, weapon that could be also used as tool ex. hatchet

Veeky Forums never disappoints when there's bait to be taken...

Depends. They're more resilient to most diseases, for example. One of the reason they have a better life expectancy than males.

But you see SM creation process doesn't really need male humans - as genitalia is removed and hormones of both genders are used (And they use young humans where gender dimorphism is almost non-existant) So yeah as far as space marines go - female or male in the end you would get a same thing

P.S. Sisters of Silence can kill space marines in droves anyway

Yeah also more resistant to gene mutation, this is why it would actually make more sense to have female mutants in most sci-fi settings

(Also life expectancy has to do to the fact that men are a bit more suicidal when it come to things like extreme sports)

You must be at least 18yo to post here.

I have to ask, are you refering to an actual historical brigandine (like pic related) or some gay-ass studded-leather-tier DnD meme armour consisting mostly of gaps?

*Laugh*

Uneducated city dweller

If you're playing in a game that is supposed to simulate reality, then yes, *realistically* women wouldn't be adventuring much because men are just better combatants by nature.

But even if I was interested in running a game like that, which I'm not, I'd probably just cap women's strength max rather than just put penalty across all characters.

It would be assumed that a Man and a Woman who both have 15 Strength (using D&D's stats) would both be objectively the same Strength, but the woman would be assumed to be a lot more buff-looking than the man would.

Go be a retard somewhere else.

How is this for armor?

t. cuck

Gamberson is the basic protection of all soldiers. Anything else is added layers of defense.

Good. If you can get any protection at all, get a metallic helmet.

>SM creation process doesn't really need male humans
Oh so you have no clue how the process actually works, because it's been explained why they need male humans.

I think he's mostly saying it is both an old AND tasteless joke. I mean, I got it right away but it's not even funny anymore how ancient that one is. Not even you laughed in fact, and you know it.

So basically you're just being tasteless and boring in lieu of actually having anything interesting to say. Which I guess explains why you're on Veeky Forums anyway.

Pretty good. The "brigandine" is kind of shitty, though; you'd want the plates to overlap, otherwise thrusts will just glance right into the gapr. The leather will mitigate that, but it*s still an issue. Still, it's probably better than nothing. Will definetely be helpful against cuts.

It honestly doesn't matter.
Fantasy rules means whatever armor she wants to wear will work for her, so she can wear whatever armor she wants.
If we're talking D&D, then whatever armor she can afford or gives her the best bonuses and suitable needs for her class.

"Studded leather" was just a misunderstanding. Brig is usually plates affixed between layers of leather, sometimes with studs holding it all together, so the outside looks like leather with studs. If you just assume that all the "studded leather" you see is light brig, things make a little more sense. Not total sense, of course, this is still fantasy.

(I'd love to talk about armor with you, but calling things "gay-ass," talking about "tiers," and calling things you don't like memes makes it hard to take you seriously.)

Amusingly, most brigandine vests aren't even made with leather so whoever looked at one and saw studded leather way back when probably didn't even get the basic visible material right.

BIG DIRTY MILKERS

Overlapping plates requires twice as much metal, making it twice as heavy and (more importantly) twice as expensive. It's better protection, but less accessible to the common soldier.

On the other hand, the light brig shown is still pretty good. It's better than nothing against a mace, and because it's faced with leather blades glancing to more vulnerable areas is less of a problem. The blade catches in the leather rather than bouncing or gliding.

>What is adequate armour for a woman setting out on your standard fantasy adventure?
Whatever is appropriate to her class or profession, obviously. What kind of silly question is that? Do you not actually play Veeky Forums games or something that you don't know that?

You sound like a gay ass

mid-late 14th century in one picture

>genitalia is removed
wat

you are literally asking for rape at this point

You do realise that a gambeson of the combosition from will do nearly nothing against a mace? Due to the plates being fixed only to the leather (and not overlapping), they can move on their own to such a degree that the impact is only spread over the area of the plate, and the effect is nearly nothing in this armour configuration.

That said, the gambeson will eat a lot of blunt trauma, so the setup is good in that regard. No thanks to that ""gambeson"", though.

>I bit down on this metal hook and now my mouth hurts!
Thanks for sharing

At least he did not shove the metal hook up his butt like you did.

This, and it's true for men as well.

It's got excellent coverage, protection, and mobility. It's brilliant for fashion as well. Of course, it's also expensive. Hence why it was independently developed in both Europe and Asia, but never recorded to have been used for concealed armor or for use by criminals. It was the armor of nobility.

And yeah a version designed for women abnd fashion/sex appeal would probably be both functional and hot as hell.

>What is adequate armour for a woman setting out on your standard fantasy adventure?

The tankiest one she can get.

> It was the armor of nobility.

English archers wore them during the medieval period, which would mean they were used in peasant rebellions, like Jack Cade's sack of London, as well as by Routiers in France who were essentially bandits when they didn't have a contract.

GURPS recommends that "average" women have -2 strength. That gives them 20 extra points to play with, which they can throw right back into ST if they want. Adventurers are above-average, after all. So basically a -2 ST is an option that anyone playing a female may or may not take at their option, exactly as if they were playing a weaker male character.

The guideline reflects the known differences in overall strength between men and women. Since everything is a point buy, it isn't like D&D where bonuses and penalties could be used for power-gaming.

>Veeky Forums never disappoints when there's bait to be taken...

I still remember the days when we happily chowed down on bait and produced a good solid informative conversation.

Hell, a few months ago there was an islamic superheroes thread that was fucking amazing, despite everyone assuming it was doomed to /pol/shit. The project rho bait thread ended up being productive too.

nigger, leave

They do overlap. Each plate doesn't overlap as much, but you have way more plates and so the flexibility is actually superior and you have full coverage.

A rope and a horse to get your man.

People who post stuff like also post stuff like

A chastity bell.

Boil 'em mash 'em put 'em in a stew.

Null set. Women can't be adventurers at my table, just like in real life.

Unless we talk magic or females that are outside of averages when it comes to physical appearance and build, they should not adventure and they should not fight.
Their muscoskeletal system is smaller and weaker than male's, their joints are more prone to fractures, a large part of female population suffers from anaemia or some sort of mineral/vitamin deficiency (due to idiotic dieting habits), they become a hindrance to a party when focus becomes "protect the female" and not " defeat the enemy", not to mention their need for regular camping, attention to bodily needs and lack of split-second decision making.

This being the case, whatever you want, since it's already fantasy and has no relation to reality from the outset.

So you are retard and shitty DM?

No, just one concerned about maintaining a realistic feel to my games.

So yes you are a retard and a shitty DM that no one wants to play with. Ok then

Being a adventurer itself is being a odd ball, anyone that is a adventurer is outside of the averages.

Source?

If you're not underage, why are you feeding a troll pure unrefined butthurt

>One of the reason they have a better life expectancy than males
It's about gene dosage, man

eww no

Brigandine did not come into the world fully developed. is a possible way in that type of armor may of been in the mid 13th century.

Thing is we do not know what mid 13th century looks like brigandine. We have both later and early examples and the design clearly changed a lot.

>otherwise thrusts will just glance right into the gapr.

Thrusting swords were just starting to come back into fashion around the time I am talking about, so that would be less of a issue then what you may think. The medieval arming sword got a lot of improvements as time moved on.

>he doesn't play a commoner

It's a joke, newfag. Although some autistic shits will tell you otherwise.

>Overlapping plates requires twice as much metal, making it twice as heavy and (more importantly) twice as expensive. It's better protection, but less accessible to the common soldier.

Use thinner plates.

And no, there was no major problem involved with doing it that way, because historical brigandine has overlapping plates. Not as a rare exception, but as a rule.

>is a possible way in that type of armor may of been in the mid 13th century.
Basically no one has ever made use of non-overlapping scale or lamellar armour. That they'd just happen to make an exception for early brigandine seems a bit much like wishful thinking from lazy LARPers and deadline-chasing prop makers, especially since we have things like the lamellar in the Wisby mass graves showing us that such would have been around in the CoP-days to guide the creation of brigandine.

>Thrusting swords were just starting to come back into fashion around the time

Never mind the bolts, arrows, spears and lances.

Not on that pic, they don't (, that is
). You can clearly see from the rivet placement that the plates are placed isolated. Unless the guy wears another one underneath, were the plates are shifted accordingly, it can clearly be seen that there is no overlap.

I completely agree there should be, though: see (seen from the inside, obviously).

>needs power armor to challenge a man physically
Yeah, sick burn there brah

I'm currently playing a full plate pally. I almost always wear light armor/robes clerics and bards and stuff, so it's new to me. But it's fun.

I always have a pretty heavy backpack full of gear though. Lots of rations, some snacks, water, a journal to write about our quest, some sketching supplies and book to paint pretty vistas we come across or to give an account+picture of something later, grooming kit, I usually like to play people who can cook so stuff related to cooking, and a musical instrument are some regulars most of my characters tend to have.

>genitalia is removed
Blatant lie

>doesn't really need male humans
It absolutely does.

Maybe the dumbass should not started shit with someone wearing power armor.

Unless she is the type who prefers using her feminine wiles and a hefty CHAR stat or she's a powerful magic user that can cast powerful shield spells I don't think she will wear anything that exposes her vital organs. She also wouldn't wear a form-fitting breastplate because it is less likely to distribute the force of a blow from a blunt weapon like a warhammer or a mace, which will make her more likely to suffer damage to the ribs and maybe disrupt her heartbeat, perhaps even stopping her heart beating altogether. A good compromise would be a breastplate that loosely curves around the breasts vertically but spreads evenly across horizontally, like a metal sports bra.

Her background is also likely to affect her choice of armor. Historically plate armor was more expensive and could only be afforded by royals, nobles, and knights while common infantry wore either leather or padded cloth armor, maybe chainmail if they were a bit more well off than the average peasant.

As for weapons it would depend on how much martial training or practice she has had. Swords and bows require years of practice with in order to even be considered competent wielders of whereas either a spear or mace coupled with a shield would require much less skill and practice to master. However the bow and spear are also the cheapest of those choices so it is the most likely she will be able to afford if she is a lowly peasant.

That said if she is a peasant with no skill whatsoever she would use a spear and wooden shield in battle and wear leather or padded cloth armor, maybe a bit of chainmail worn over the torso area on top. If she has had the requisite practice she would wield a bow instead. If she is a noble or knight with considerable skill she would wield a sword, maybe a shield too and wear plate armor like Brienne of Tarth's in Game of Thrones or at least like the one in this Skyrim mod: loverslab.com/files/file/2103-plate-armor-plus-from-oblivion-to-skyrim-by-rhodanum/

Just started a campaign level one and used all of the extra stuff I bought. My party just bought their armour weapons and rations whereas I had written out all of my gear. Rope, pitons, hammer, crowbar, ball bearings, caltrops, oil, later, etc.

I ended up using the majority of the items. At low levels you need a lot of equipment as you can't use magic to bypass obstacles.

Stress levels caused by hours spent working cut down life expectancy to equal levels in both genders. Granted men will still have their dumb risk taker death applied but in the modern world those who work to support someone at home die first. This is more likely men taking on that burden so long as it's seen as a male role to be the provider.

And polka dot PJ's! Essential for any adventurer

It was modestly expensive and somewhat fashionable. To put it in modern terms it cost roughly $1200 to 4000 USD. Not a trivial cost, but nothing like chain mail ($6000+) and really not like bronze armor ($20,000+)

I'd say good armor for an adventure starts with rugged clothes. Decent boots, trousers (or if you must, a overdress, skirt and hose) and a long riding coat with reinforcement at the elbows, a mantle to keep water out of the shoulder seams and tough enough fabric to survive a long while.

>It's another medieval equipment autist episode
>It's a rerun of the episode where everyone plays armchair historian about what was best or not in combat

I've always hated this argument. That "adventurers are like, totally super unaverage people or whatever, so anything should go!" No, you fuckwit, even at the extremes, men are vastly superior physically, and top tier women can get beaten out by slightly-above average men in terms of raw strength. It's why weight classes exist.

And I'm saying this as someone who encourages the thought of female adventurers. There are actual legitimate reasons why a woman should be out murderhoboing, such as the fact that:
>Women make the best assassins in the world
>Women are not naturally afraid of blood
>Many security and detective teams are comprised of a healthy does of women
>Women can comfort men, and I don't necessarily mean sexually
>Many adventuring classes don't rely on physical strength/output, such as casting classes and classes that benefit from flexibility like rogue
Seriously, focus on making decent arguments, like pointing out -4 strength is only an argument for why women shouldn't be fighters as opposed to this lackadaisical response of "durrr just be wahtever even that 8 yer-old loli barbrain"

YAASSSS SLAY QUEEN

A cooking set, a set of needles and threads, lingerie and condoms.

This thread is not about what you need.

>Women are not naturally afraid of blood

Women are more likely to faint at the sight of blood than men...

>ejmanager.com/mnstemps/34/34-1410375823.pdf?t=1431210729

I like this

Your paper you have isn't really conclusive of anything. Blood-Injury-Injection phobia covers three fears, blood, being injured, and needles. Not only that, but the paper only states it "is more prevalent in women than it is in men" but never states by how much or how prevalent this specific phobia is in general with a test group, and the only other test I could find only tested a mid-sized group in a small area of Canada. Neither state whether or not a woman who does not have this phobia fears blood.

However, in attempting to answer the question, I couldn't find anything, and was being bombarded by dozens of articles from sites like huffington post saying that Trump is afraid of periods and we should all hate on him for this. So for now I will say it's "inconclusive" in my eyes.

Coat of plates or jack o plates where often leather faced and they can be considered early/proto brigandine.

>Due to the plates being fixed only to the leather (and not overlapping), they can move on their own to such a degree that the impact is only spread over the area of the plate, and the effect is nearly nothing in this armour configuration
Nah it'll still be somewhat effective, a single plate is still much larger than the impact point of a mace would be, plus the riveted leather construction will spread some force to neighboring plates. Its not as good as overlapped plates, but irs certainly still a lot better than nothing.

>your standard fantasy adventure?
That would be D&D, Forgotten Realms - so the best mundane armor that can be worn by her class and is within wealth per level budget. With shield if applicable.

i see a lot of shit going on here but it all really depends on what they're fighting. If its super high fantasy and everyone is wearing full plate armor and slinging magic then it doesn't really matter what you're like physically, just about everything is going to be magical in some way.
If this is grounded in reality a woman with equivalent training as a man can use a sword or spear just as effectively. Most fights come down to skill in a gritty, realistic fight.

After doing HEMA and kendo for the last 5 years ive seen plenty of women beat guys who had 50 plus pounds on them

>Be female warrior
>Get captured
>Be gangraped by the enemy general and all of his guards
>Little did they know I have AIDS
>By losing the battle, I have won the war
What now mysoginists?

Sssshhh, don't disturb the idiots, they won't be able to cope with anecdotal eveidence.

Saw a 5'3 blackbelt in jiujutsu get picked up and cieling smashed by a 6' 3"
brownbelt. But he only ever managed that trick once. Mastering your center of gravity and body positioning is some weird shit..

>JJ
>ceiling smashed
Were they fighting in zero-G?

seriously, ceiling smashed? where do you practice that you can hit the ceiling?

Whatever is adequate for a man, just in her size.

>And what is some *ESSENTIAL* starting equipment Veeky Forums would recommend for any fantasy adventure?
Rope, a good shovel, a pole and some pitons will carry you farther than many specialized pieces of equipment.

how amazing would zero g mma be?

>If this is grounded in reality a woman with equivalent training as a man can use a sword or spear just as effectively.

lmao, nope