Dealing with setting assassination

How do you guys deal with settings you like getting completely and irreparably fucked by official sources? I'm not just talking killed off, I'm talking getting its very core concepts corrupted and twisted irrevocably.
I've seen it happen to too many settings over the years. Shit like the End Times of WHFB are easy - you just ignore the material with ET label and move on. It's not really intrinsic or important to the world and it's easily isolated and ignored. But what GW has been doing to 40k the last ten years or so makes it hard for me to enjoy the lore anymore, even the older stuff. I could ignore 8th Edition/Dark Imperium stuff if I didn't like it, but thanks to Horus Heresy delivering canonical and mostly retarded depictions of events, characters and secrets that made a lot of 40k intriguing in the first place, even the old lore is tainted. You can't discuss concepts or events of the Horus Heresy like you used to, because somebody will come in and explain that the reason for Istvaan was actually that Corax shoved up a toilet brush up Lorgar's ass or some other bullshit. You can't theorize or enjoy the lore as-is anymore, because there's always some explanation and you can count on it being the absolutely dumbest there is. By the time we get to the final battle, they'll probably retcon Ollanius AGAIN and make him a time traveling clone of Horus or some other nonsense.

It happend to Dune, Star Wars, Magic and god knows how many other settings. So how the fuck do you guys deal with that?

Why user, you ignore them!

Yep! Or you take the things you like from various settings and make your own, then play games with your friends there.

You just do what you want. Unless it's an extremely aggressive metaplot, nothing should change. If it is that, you pick the version of the setting you like and roll with it.

You take shit less seriously and borrow what you want and ignore the rest, just like in real life with everything else you do.

In regards to 40k, you are basically ignoring everything published after 2004 at this point which me and the lads are doing

>I could ignore 8th Edition/Dark Imperium stuff
yeah, i think i won't follow them into warhammer 41K. don't like the direction it is going.

>Horus Heresy
ignored it completely. so i enjoy my 40K.

but then again I am also the guy who quit Shadowrun on early 3rd edition when the metaplot took off and who never saw any Star Wars except the original trilogy. i think it's just a matter of time until more neckbeards stop just gobbling anything that gets published and will become more selective, less blinded by brand.

>because there's always some explanation
all settings get milked as far as possible. just know your drop out point.

op has a point though in that it makes it harder to come together as fans to theorize, speculate and shit. not that i need this kind of thing but i can see how it would hurt someone who does.

>ever enjoying 40k lore
How fucking stupid would you have to be to do that?

This, honestly. I fondly remember the early 2000s and speculating with fellow neckbeards about the Horus Heresy, what happened to Omegon and wether or not Horus was justified. The ramifications all this bullshit has on the setting are too great to cut out. Yeah, you can ignore it, but at that point you are full on writing your own alt history fanfiction setting.
It's stunning how Black Library manages to always, without fail, come up with the dumbest explanations to questions no one really asked.

I just freeze everything at the point I like, that's all.

By ignoring the shitty spinoffs?

Since you mention Dune I can only assume you mean that the series was ruined by the Brian Herbert novels, which would make you literally the first person I've ever met to even consider them part of the Dune universe

Yeah, the lost of speculation is really shitty.

It was always fun to imagine what the Primarchs were like and what crazy power level they were at.

It was also super cool symbolically that the only operating Primarchs had become daemon princes.

I'm really bummed they shat on all that.

>It's stunning how Black Library manages to always, without fail, come up with the dumbest explanations to questions no one really asked.

All they needed to do was keep making stories about all the crazy shit people live through in the 40k universe. Then someone was all "Let's talk about the Horus Heresy"

Dune is easy, yeah. Just ignore anything from Brian Herbert.
Star Wars also was workable, you basically only had to say "No Expanded Universe" or "Movies + Old Republic Only" and you had your canon.

Shit like MtG or 40k is a lot worse, though. Especially 40k where they actually go out of their way and portray the Emperor in the dumbest way possible. It makes the entirety of the Imperium much less compelling when you know for a fact that the Big E was a giant dumbass that kept making the dumbest decisions possible.

>Yeah, you can ignore it, but at that point you are full on writing your own alt history fanfiction setting.
So what? You are ALREADY talking about literally made up bullshit with zero basis in reality that nobody who matters in real life cares about anymore.
If nobody else minds and you're not talking about RPing and it's just your headcannon it literally doesn't matter anymore because it ALREADY didn't matter.

Don't take this shit too seriously.

Worst thing is when it happens gradually over time and you feel the setting become increasingly shitty, then when the camel's back finally breaks you don't know what to do because you are now disillusioned with the last ten years worth of development

>when you know for a fact that the Big E was a giant dumbass that kept making the dumbest decisions possible

Here is my 3 step program to enjoying 40k again

1) Plug your ears
2) Close your eyes
3) Remember the good ol' days until you forget that they ever did anything to the setting.

I ignore everything after Warcraft 3.

Yeah, it's basically go full Oldhammer Grog and tell everyone to fuck off with their post 2000 bullshit, or nothing.

Your example isn't as bad as most however. Personally I enjoy a lot more of the new Warcraft shit than I do "40k: Endtimes 2: Electric Boogaloo".

I remember when I couldn't understand gronards.

Now I am one...

the reason is that the official fiction creates common ground between strangers

You already have the common ground established, and it sounds like that OP isn't even talking about an RPG but a wargame where the fluff is literally just meaningless flavor that doesn't change anything in game.
Even if he were talking about Dark Heresy or whatnot none of this newer info shit actually changes anything about the game itself.

>the fluff is literally just meaningless flavor that doesn't change anything in game.
>meaningless flavor

You primarily play Warmachine, don't you?

> that nobody who matters in real life cares about anymore.

It's a positive trait for a human to think that they themself matter.

It's also important for humans to recognize the worth of their "generic" kin.

>mfw red twilek siths are noncanon now
:c

>a wargame where the fluff is literally just meaningless flavor that doesn't change anything in game
You don't know the joy of historical wargaming, do you?