EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Gruul Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: What's your least-favorite color combination? What would it take for you to play it anyway? Do you?

>Thread Question: What's your least-favorite color combination? What would it take for you to play it anyway? Do you?
WURBG. it completely sucks the fun out of deck building and necessitates an annoying level of mana fixing. any player who gravitates towards WURBG decks is probably missing half the point of the format. i hate when people run a commander for it's colors and never actually deploy it.

reaper king and atogatog get a pass tho.

Mono-Blue. I'll only play if it's possible not counterspell shenainigans or so broken in terms of power might as well not having friends. And I don't think it's coming soon.

>tfw playing draconic domination
>tfw everyone gangs up on me
>tfw never get a chance to win with it

>People playing anything other than mono green beatdown

wew what's it like to be shit at mtg lads I wouldn't know

>What's your least-favorite color combination? What would it take for you to play it anyway? Do you?
Boros and Mardu. I'd rather die.

Shit opinion, 5c can be just as flavourful and interesting as any other colour combo.
t. Reaper King player

>Thread question
UW no question. I get about as much enjoyment from knitting as piloting a UW deck. As someone who heavily favors a more proactive playstyle, twiddling your thumbs until an opponent does something puts me to sleep. Generally speaking it feels like your win condition is making your opponent scoop out of boredom when they realize all you do is make them do nothing.

I'd be down for spirit tribal though.

What's good for Marath? (That costs circa 100)
Tokens?
Big smashy creatures?
Combos?

Not sure, what it's like to lack self-awareness?

It's probably because you have the personality of a frogposter.

>He's never messed with Sakashima Clone Tribal

Combos, but your budget is going to make life... irritating. Not impossible, but you'll have to skimp on good lands.

>t. Reaper King player
I SAID YOU GET A PASS

Could you suggest some decent ones to look into?

>What's your least-favorite color combination?
Gruul. Boros is probably worse but I've spent too much time messing around with Depala

>What would it take for you to play it anyway?
Having a good Wort deck. She's got a lot of promise, could even kick Boros back to the curb.

>Do you?
Not yet.

HARVEST TIME

>friend plays token aggro in standard
>makes a commander deck
>it's still token aggro

Whatever happened to that user who told a kid to kill himself at his LGS?

Temur. I can't play a colour combination that doesn't have white or black in it, tho Maelstrom wanderer and Riku look interesting.

>Sakashima deck
Maybe one day.

But then again I got a Yasova "Borrow your friend's deck and beat them up with it" Dragonclaw deck so I don't want something too similar.

Chromat, Child, and Progenitus can also be done well, but are commonly built as goodstuff. The problem is people, not colour.

How can I make wearwolfs better.

*werewolfs
is a place to start

>least-favorite combination

Blue/Green/anything.

Have you guys ever come across a combo you didn't realize was in your deck?

>We're wolves and we wear wolfs to be werewolves

>Thread Question
Boros. No good card draw besides Wheel of Fortune, and so few tutors it's almost sad. You either draw what you need in the initial hand or you go the entire gaming hoping you draw what you need.

Do you even Land Tax + Scroll Rack?

Unfortunately not, though considering I play Kaalia, Atraxa and Inalla my stuff tends to either all combo with pretty much any other card in the deck or is straightforward "play big things and kill people".

I think those are both covered under hyper efficient/non-vanilla. I did leave out haste as an important part of any aggro deck.

>Least favorite color combo
I have to say selesnya. I started in RTR and always thought it was bad mechanically/flavor wise very faggy. Everytime I end up wit GW in draft/sealed in inevitably lose and have a bad time. I think it would take a some really cool flavor and me delving into how each color covers the other one's weaknesses more. I wish the Unstable faction wasn't shittier GW simic scientist but instead was Militant Hippies. I'd play that legend.

You described my legacy deck. Most fun combo there is

You're not alone, i can't do shit because as soon as i get my first dragon up i'm at 15-20 life and it gets removed before i get a chance to swing with it

Grixis objectively a shit except for our Lord and Savior.

Have y'all ever gotten an expensive card for commander and gotten wrecked by it later?

It's happened to me twice. Both times I bought a Commander with the intent to build a deck but something happened where you couldn't?

The cards were Kaalia who I bought days before Queen Marchesa was spoiled and after some research I went with the Queen, Long may she reign. And Leovold, who got banned 2 weeks after I bought him. His deck is now Bug Sidisi. What should I do with the cards. I currently just am holding on to them because fuck it but I might try and trade them off/store credit them into a Zedruu Deck.

Speaking of the goat lady, Would it be better to try to either find her precon/convert GAYKANGZ to her or start from scratch?

How do I stop this cocksucker? God damn I hate izzet so fucking much.

Just tutor for Skullclamp and feed it soldiers, you've got like 8~10 tutors for it in boros colors.

You still need to get both pieces in play to do what someone else can do with a Sylvan Library or Necropotence. But I'll admit, it's a neat interaction when it does happen.

Is anyone else disappointed the Iconic Masters Necropotence uses the FtV art again? I'd have really liked to see the old art, especially in foil.

you know what you must do, user

Dovescape Taigam

zedruus precon will be damn expensive because it has flusterstorm in it which is like 80$ by itself or something. best to start from scratch.

Same here. I'd love to see the old art in the new frame. I know I can alter it, but it's just not the same thing.

I used to run Riku and he's a great balance of being fun to pilot and being strong. Unlike Sakashima who is just clone tribal, Riku can copy anything and everything.

Also, kicking Rite of Rep on Biovisionary is a hilarious way to win games.

Imagine if Necropotence Guy showed up as a planeswalker.

that's why taigam has appeared to lead us non stax playing UW players to the promise land
>spells can't be countered
>spell sliniging
>not super comander reliant

he is the hero we deserve

Trinisphere does work.

he has to attack tough
you have to lose half of your spellslinging power just to keep him around,

>Want to do Mono-Black and Mono-Blue since my first deck was Naya
>have to run Mana Crypt in them both
>$70

reprint when?

>>have to run Mana Crypt in them both

lol

:)

Instant speed removal

Kinda sucks that he has to attack though. Is Daxos any good? He seems a bit more reliable.

he has to attack
not deal damage
:)

>HAVE to run mana crypt in them both
No you don't, try budget alternatives if you don't want to spend that kind of dosh on cardboard you silly willy

You don't have to you fucking idiot

No the state of standard is making cards so underpowered they never transition to eternal formats and thus never maintain any value causing new players to lose interest in the game as all of their cards they spent money on are both monetarily and trade wise worthless.

The only time I buy cards in standard anymore is if they somehow manage to break into eternal formats like Fatal Push and Fetch Lands or they'll be wanted for EDH like Chromatic Lantern and Ramunap Excavator

I thought the state of standard was NO FUN ALLOWED?

Seconding this. Riku is fun, can be strong and is really versatile. I run a pretty straightforward Goodstuff with a focus on creatures and ETBs, but doubling both creatures and spells means you can do all sorts of things with him.
Also, can someone recommend some fun spicy cards for him?

Not really zombies aren't as relevant anymore and rotate out in a few weeks

>NO FUN ALLOWED

It's also NO RAMP ALLOWED which leads to Nu-Players coming into eternal formats and bitching and moaning about the slightest bit of ramp.

>Playing Modern with a friend at LGS
>I'm running Eldrazi he's running Death's Shadow
>Cast a T3 Thought-Knot
>Standard babby 18 year old sits there watching us bitching and moaning how unfair it is that I got a 4 cost creature out turn 3

play your midrange creatures on curve, ramp is badwrongfun.

>ywn have a good standard with lots of viable strategies and complex rock-paper-scissors interactions
>ywn have a standard with ramp, control, reanimator, aggro, suicide aggro, mill, stax, combo and tribal decks
Why live?

THE TEEG

>viable strategies and complex rock-paper-scissors interactions
We did. Everyone memed it up as the Rhino format. THS-KTK was great up until BFZ had fetchable dual lands, turning everything into 4c goodstuff. IIRC we had
>Tutalige mill
>Esper Dragon Control
>Atarka red
>Mardu control
>Jeskai midrange
>Abzan Aggro
>Abzan Midrange
>Abzan Aggro
>U/W Heroic
>W/G devotion
>R/G devotion
>Jeskai Ascendancy combo

>tfw you sack into hardcasting turn 2 OG Kozilek in Kozilek EDH
Mono-Brown is some hardcore stuff, folks, would recommend.

>Nu-Players: I wanna play Vintage! Reprint the P9 Wizards!
>Also Nu-Players: What the fuck a T1 Black Lotus and TWO moxes?! BAN IT NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW!

My Japanese Scourge of the Throne came in today, which I had to buy on impulse because Scourges were spiking up to 35+ dollars and the foreign ones weren't affected yet.

God damn I hate this game.

>bought t. chinese patriarchs bidding for 8.50€
>tfw english version is at 18€

who starts buyouts in a casual format anyways

Idiots who think investing in non-foil/non-reserve list/non-lottery singles is a good idea and who will always get blown the fuck out.

I remember two years ago there was some guy seriously saying he was going to kill himself because of the Wasteland reprint because it was over $100 but now it's $25 and he had a huge stack of originals.

Well if you're actually playing Standard you'll know that Thought Knot and Chandra turn 3 is a everyday thing.
I think you want a Meta with Deathrite into Liliana turn 2.

I know this isn't the right place, but there's no casual general so maybe you guys can help. I play casual free for all and there's a good chance I'm going to be buying a playset of o-kagachi cheap in a couple of days, what kind of deck should I make? I would rather not do a stupid "goodstuff" deck since I'm a poorfag. Also, what the fuck is wrong with ramp? My group has no problem with it, so I don't get why others are bitching about it.Hell, sometimes we all pick our ramp decks, mine being W/R/G, and my friends being R/G and G, and those games are always fun.

What the fuck? When did these guys spike? Also why?

>the salt when you pop someones only land before their lotus bloom comes in

I love it

I'm planning on using Dreju as my commander and want some cards that will bounce him from the battlefield and return him. Any recommendations?

that one enchantment that bounces a non enchantment whenever you play an enchantment

I have one real Mana Crypt and proxies in my other decks

I don't like proxies but when your playgroup is at our level (not cEDH level, just high power) I feel like you can't compete without having as much fast mana as your opponents

Why? Probably because of the dragon pre-con.
When? I'm not exactly sure. I just saw someone here complain 4 days ago that wheel was 50 dollars and scourge was climbing up to 50 itself (at the time, peaked at 45). goldfish says it's been climbing since early september.

That's an artifact that bounces a non artifact, it's called cloudstone curio

Oh I can afford it I just can't afford to pimp out two decks at once. Plus now that I've got one deck I can build these two much slower. There's no rush to get a deck out so I can play. The only things I rushed to get were my Yawgmoth's Will and Revised Demonic Tutor since I got a good deal on the Will and I wouldn't be surprised if Revised Tutor starts going up since it's significantly cheaper than the reprint.

I think he means this

Yup! The commander isn't part of the combo, but it's there for reference.

Remove her until she becomes impossible to cast.

Eldrazi Displacer (the best)
Conjurer's Closet
Restoration Angel
Flickerwisp

what's the best boardwhipes for GW voltron

preferably that won't kill my dude if i chose not to give it industructable

Give that bitch regen and use wipes that don't have the "cannot regenerate" clause

Mass Calcify, Divine Reckoning, Winds of Rath.

Worldslayer into Timber Protector but you gotta do GW treefolk

Teeg?

Tragic arrogance, gearhulk, sunblast angel, austere command.

Adds for Inalla? Any auto-includes?

reaper king players must be protected and loved

>Watching that Overrated Cards in EDH video by those Command Zone guys
>Damnation
>"Mutilate is better"

How does one have such awful opinions?

Mutilate is better.

You always have Urborg, do you?

Toxic deluge sure but mutilate? maybe in monoblack.

Yes.

>i can literally tutor for one or both in W

Thanks anons!

Why would you listen to literal retards that build their decks exactly the same no matter what commander they use?