media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
Is resurrection magic common in your setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No. Necromancy is forbidden.

Generally yeah, but I'd take it on a case by case basis. Which Dark Power are you thinking of playing?

You're technically not even allowed to have magic items according to the king. His soldiers are.

I'm too busy being a pirate to care about what he says.

Alright lads, are you ready for the expanded trinkets list UA?

I'm ready to read up on what Mearls had for lunch that day.

Hey Veeky Forums, I'm currently undertaking a project to try and flex my lore skills and practice making monsters, ideally mechanically interesting ones. Could I trouble you for feedback on what I have so far?

And yes, I'm aware of the other Pokedex some dude from Reddit made. It's neat but it's kind of sloppy and I don't think its marriage between Pokemon abilities and DND mechanics is as elegant or interesting as it could be. It's also really barebones and I'm trying to go beyond.

I feel like GOO and Dark Powers are completely different if not opposite.

A GOO has no idea you exist, they don't care about you; they CAN'T care about you. That's the whole point of Lovecraftian beings.

The dark powers, on the other hands, know you exist. They know everyone and everything that goes on within ravenloft and they do care. They care about creating a living nightmare for you, or corrupting you irreparably.

Posted about this a couple threads ago:

I'm gonna' DM a game in a couple months and I'm setting some stuff up early. I told one of the players I'd homebrew a vampire race for him to play as.

Everything replaces his "chosen" race.

Ability Score Increase
Your Constitution, Strength, and Dexterity increase by 1.

Vampires do not age, but they remain at the stage of development they were in life.

Alignment
True Vampires tend toward Lawful Evil, but there have been cases of reluctant undead maintaining a Lawful Good or Lawful Neutral alignment.

Size
Vampires keep the size of their base race.

Speed
30ft.

Darkvision
Accustomed to prowling the night and living within dark castles, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 120 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Languages
Vampires speak the languages they knew in life. (See base race.)

Undead Nature
You do not need to breathe air, eat food, or drink water. But you must drink a bloodmeal once per day. This can be accomplished by seeking out a mark during a long rest.
Similar to elves, you do not need a full 8 hours of sleep, but may sleep for 4 hours and go out to feed for 4 hours. If you are away from civilization, you may still attempt to find someone to feed on – the DM will determine if you are able. You may also use your Bite attack to feed on humanoid enemies while in a dungeon.
If you fail to find a bloodmeal, you will gain one level of exhaustion per day. Additionally, you may not be healed by any means that has no effect on undead.

Cont. in next post.

>lore skills
>pokemon

Chained to the Grave
Every vampire remains bound to its coffin, crypt, or grave site, where it must rest by day. (Or by night if you are trying hard to blend in with a group of adventurers.) If a vampire didn't receive a formal burial, it must lie beneath a foot of earth at the place of its transition to undeath. A vampire can move its place of burial by transporting its coffin or a significant amount of grave dirt to another location. Some vampires set up multiple resting places this way.
As a traveling vampire, you have placed some of your original grave soil into a pouch that you wear on your hip – so that you may sprinkle it onto your bed each night and collect it again when you awake. If you become separated from this dirt you will be unable to rest and will gain one level of exhaustion per day. (This can stack with the penalty for not drinking a bloodmeal.)
You also cast no shadow and have no reflection.

Damage Resistances/Weaknesses
You are resistant to Necrotic damage.
You are vulnerable to Radiant damage. (Damage from direct sunlight does not double.)
When you receive any amount of Fire damage, you take an additional 1d4 damage.

Unnatural Regeneration
When you are shrouded in darkness at the start of your turn, you regain hit points equal to your Constitution Modifier. This effect is canceled by being in indirect sunlight, running water, or having taken Radiant damage since your last turn. (Note: When outside on a sunny day, wearing a cowl turns direct sunlight into indirect sunlight. When outside on a cloudy day, a cowl turns indirect sunlight to darkness.)

Sunlight Hypersensitivity
When you begin your turn in direct sunlight, you take 1d4 radiant damage. You also have disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks.

Wicked Wetness
You take 1d6 Acid damage if you end your turn while in running water. Holy water can also trigger this effect.

Cont. in next post.

I never said it was anything complex; part of the fun for myself is extrapolating their canon "lore" to the broader, more generic fantasy world of D&D.

Stake Through the Heart
If a piercing weapon made of wood is driven through your heart while you are resting upon your grave soil, you are paralyzed until the stake is removed.

Forbiddance
You cannot enter a residence without an invitation from the occupants. (A business's OPEN sign counts.)

Spider Climb
You can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check. Climbing speed uses walking speed. Both hands must be free.

Frenzied Bloodlust
Starting at Level 3, if blood is shed in an enclosed space around you (in a room / cave / dungeon chamber) then you must succeed a Constitution Saving Throw or enter a state of Frenzy. When frenzied, you lose control and will move and perform a melee attack against the nearest unit (friend or enemy). You may repeat the saving throw at the start of each turn. Once you overcome your frenzy, you will not frenzy again until you've completed a short rest.

Unarmed Strike (Vampire form only.)
Melee Weapon Attack: +(DEX + Proficiency) to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 1d8 + Proficiency bludgeoning damage.

Bite (Vampire or bat form only.)
Melee Weapon Attack: +(DEX + Proficiency) to hit, reach 5 ft., one willing creature, or a creature that is grappled by the vampire, incapacitated, or restrained. Hit: 1d6 piercing damage plus 3d6 Necrotic damage. You regain hit points equal to the amount of Necrotic damage dealt. The target dies if this effect reduces its hit point maximum to 0. A humanoid slain in this way and then buried in the ground rises the following night as a vampire spawn under the vampire's control. (Bite counts as acquiring a bloodmeal.)

Cont. in next post.

This is an absurd amount of abilities for a fucking race. You should just stop because it's clear you have no idea what the fuck you're doing.

Vampiric Charm
At Level 3, once per short rest you may attempt to charm a humanoid you can see within range. It must make a Wisdom saving throw, and does so with advantage if you or your companions are fighting it. If it fails it is charmed by you until the spell ends or until you or your companions do something harmful to it. The charmed creature regards you as a friendly acquaintance. When the spell ends it knows it has been charmed. Use your Charisma stat to set the DC.
Casting time 1 action Range: 30ft. Components: V,S Duration 1 hour

Shapechanger
At Level 5, if you are not in indirect sunlight or running water, you may use your action to polymorph into a Tiny Bat or a Medium Cloud of Mist, or back into your true form. While in bat form, you can't speak, your walking speed is 5 feet, and you have a flying speed of 30 feet. Your statistics, other than your size and speed, are unchanged. Anything you are wearing transforms with you, but nothing you are carrying does. (Held weapons are dropped, sheathed weapons are safe.) You revert to your true form if you die.
While in mist form, you can't take any actions, speak, or manipulate objects. You are weightless, have a flying speed of 20 feet, can hover, and can enter a hostile creature's space and stop there. In addition, if air can pass through a space, the mist can do so without squeezing, and you can't pass through water. You have advantage on Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution saving throws, and you are immune to all nonmagical damage, except the damage you take from sunlight. Magical damage is doubled.

Children of the Night
At Level 10, once per long rest you may use an action to magically call 1d4 swarms of bats or rats, provided that the sun isn't up. While outdoors, you can call 2d6 wolves instead. The called creatures arrive in 1d4 rounds, acting as your allies and obeying your spoken commands. The beasts remain for 1 hour, until you die, or until you dismiss them as a bonus action.

Anyone seen Green Ronin' book of the righteous? Wanted to know if it is worth 24 bucks.

>Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, range 80/120 ft.,

The only reason I made it so that wearing a cowl prevents the radiant damage and disadvantage rolls in sunlight is because I don't want this to turn into the party always deciding to wait until nighttime to do everything just for one member.

Though I am considering putting the disadvantage on ability checks back.

Has anyone made a list (homebrew or not) of weapon & armor durability AC and HP?

>When you receive any amount of Fire damage, you take an additional 1d4 damage.
Just make it vulnerability.

>Unnatural Regeneration
Still completely overpowered.

Nothing from Green Ronin is worth money.

Although they contract out for half decent art.

How do you feel about magic weapons that require a certain act or ritual to take place before their powers are awakened?

I think you're right about the Fire vulnerability.

How about the regen is half their CON modifier? Maybe it only triggers when they're below half health?

It's a nice storytelling trope, and with a half competent GM players should enjoy it.

Unnatural Regeneration is just silly. Compare this to a level 1 human - the human would stand no chance at all. 5e tries to be a balanced system and this just isn't.

is right. That's a ludicrous amount of stuff for a race. This isn't how the game functions.

Getting ready to DM but we have a new player in the group and his character concept might be a red flag for me as a new DM. He wants to play as an exiled Prince which sounds ok except for the fact his dad was a red dragon that raped his mom the queen in his human form. Now the Prince is half dragon and can assume his true form as an adult red dragon. Should I just outlaw this? I wouldn't know how to balance the party when one member can become a dragon.

In my experience, players go crazy for that shit.

Just make sure it's actually cool and not just some ridiculous busy work.

This is incredibly bloated and overpowered

>Adult red dragon
What level is your party?

>Now the Prince is half dragon and can assume his true form as an adult red dragon

Abort, Abort, Abort.

The Half-Dragon stuff is fine, if not massively cliche, but being able to transform into a dragon makes literally no sense and would be completely busted. Let me guess, level 1 character too?

If this is an online game, drop the player.
If this is an in-person game and you aren't friends with him, drop the player.
If he's a friend...
No. Just tell him "no."
>Exiled prince
Absolutely not. He WILL try to leverage it for authority. A player shouldn't START with that type of authority.
>Transform into dragon
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAONE

Has anyone scanned Tomb of Annihilation yet?

How about none at all

You didn't notice anything wrong with your "race" when you couldn't even fit it in one fucking post?

Have him play a normal human that can unlock the half-dragon part of his heritage (fire resistance, red dragon wyrmling fire breath on a recharge) as a feat.

Any Britbongs around Lancaster area looking for a group and/or with an established group looking for members?

MAYBE below half-health, AND at half-con.
Even better: don't have it at all. If you really want the regenerating flavor, have him regain all his hit dice on a long rest.
The whole concept is a walking, talking balance problem.

Tell him to play a regular red dragonborn

>Absolutely not. He WILL try to leverage it for authority. A player shouldn't START with that type of authority.

This isn't *that* bad, because realistically as long as they take the Noble background and they're truly a disgraced exiled prince, then whatever leverage they can gain wouldn't be anything more than the Noble feature grants you to begin with.

The rest is a gigantic fucking hot mess and user is way too green of a DM to allow for homebrews like this if he can't spot the issue from a mile away.

Holy fucking shit, you absolute sperg. You were told EXACTLY how to not make this "race" fucking retarded last time you posted this and you still went ahead and stuffed your head directly up your asshole. Go back to the earlier thread and do exactly as you were told AND NO MORE!

The Half Dragon template isn't too absurd on a regular human (Not Vuman)

I don't really see how having a lot of information to the race is a bad thing beyond "no one will be able to remember all that."

90% of it is basic vampire tropes. Can't go into a building without an invitation. Takes extra damage from holy sources. Can climb on walls. Etc.

I get that it's a lot, but I thought it would be fun to roleplay around as long as it was balanced in the end.

Yeah, here you go.

I honestly felt bad because I became 95% sure I was just failing for bait. Now I feel bad because someone like this actually exists.

New campaign so every one is at one
In person game and new guy is a friend of a friend haven't met in person yet. I don't want to boot him before meeting him though
I will see if he agrees to this compromise. I doubt it though he seemed set on being a dragon

Shut up. He obviously shouldn't be playing at all, but if he has to he should be a dragonborn.

There's a world of difference between "noble" and "royal." Even if the character is """exiled,""" he's going to want to claim his birthright at some point. This might work for very specific groups and very specific players. Considering the rest of what that player wants, he's not one of them.

I cannot express my sheer amazement that this wasn't the cat girl pdf.

Tell him that it's fine as long as he plays a Wizard and transforms into his true form by casting True Polymorph.

>In person game and new guy is a friend of a friend haven't met in person yet. I don't want to boot him before meeting him though
In that case, you need to talk to him and explain what sort of game D&D is. It's not a game about playing monsters. It's a game about playing an adventurer from a relatively normal "person" species, and accomplishing things while growing in personal power through training and experience.
If that's not the sort of game he wants to play, then he shouldn't play D&D.

>1115 pages

wot?

Holy fuck this huge list of abilities is more along the lines of a whole fucking class not just a race.

I thought the same thing too, but it's really large print compared to a normal book. It would probably be a 350~ page book if it was formatted normally.

I'm having trouble with adventure pacing, never quite sure how much I need to throw at my players to keep them excited or at least focused.

Working on a big plot idea now and I'm afraid I have to convert and homebrew a lot of stuff. How common and acceptable is homebrew material to 5e?

My DM put up with my bullshit and allowed this for a character with a actually similar setup: Character can use Polymorph on himself to transform into a dragon that is equal to lv./CR and each time he does so he gains exhaustion equal to the stage; Wyrmling = 1, Young = 2, etc..

Furthermore, since I'm using Polymorph which is concentration, every time I take a hit I have to roll a Con saving throw to keep the form.

Yeah I was gonna say this, let him be a half-dragon, sure. But being able to turn into a dragon, or thinking that being related to a dragon is going to help him at all, is laughable.

Fuck off

To be specific he gains exhaustion after turning back to normal, not when in dragon form.

So artificer 1 rogue X is better than regular artificer right?

It seems a half-dragon dragon blooded sorcerer is what this young child is looking for. He'll even get to polymorph into a young dragon later on.

>How common and acceptable is homebrew material to 5e?
Very, just make extra sure it doesn't outclass official things.

Or just give them the abilities from the "player characters as vampires" box in the MM.
Or preferably, don't let PCs be vampires cause it's busted.

is there a good resource which shows all the races from every official book somewhere? i have them all in separate books but it would save some time as i'm building characters
the same for classes and subclasses would be nice as well

Go back to pf, this does not belong in 5e and is nowhere close to balanced.
Also this man is correct , you obviously know fuck all about balance so do as you were told exactly a few threads ago.

etools:
>astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

perfect, thank you friend

Have you guys noticed that Wizards seems to be doing the same setting theme for D&D and Magic? They did that with Strahd/Innistrad as well.

>watch D&D shows like Critical Role or Acquisitions Inc.
>there are stories and memorable NPCs
>there are clearly defined goals with things at stake
>lots of in-character talking

>join a campaign on Roll20
>there's virtually no story, just one fight after another
>the group's motivation for the current destination is...to...get loot and sell it for money I guess?
>hardly anyone speaks in-character ever and being the only one to do that would be embarrassing
>GM doesn't speak as NPCs
>D&D isn't like muh action RPGs where you constantly get slightly better equipment so there's no motivation there
>D&D isn't like RPG vidya with complex skill trees so there's no motivation there

Maybe this isn't for me.

Artificer 2 seems like a smarter dip for rogues.

That aside... I dunno. Depends what you wanna do as an artificer.

Your DM was shit.

because there's a difference between professional voice actors/media personalities and generic autists that play dnd
that doesn't mean you cant find groups that are more rp heavy, but the majority aren't anywhere close to shows like critical role

Never played Pathfinder, friend.

I posted it here because I was hoping for better advice than "fuck you, it's unbalanced."

I understand that it's busted, but I'm here trying to fix it.
I made it vulnerable to fire damage and changed the regen to half-Con modifier, and only when a half-health, and it's still only at night or indoors. The regen is to make up for the fact that most healing spells won't work on him.

I'm also going to change Children of the Night to be more like a once-per-long-rest Conjure Animals spell.

Those D&D shows are "shows". The people playing are there, not just to have fun, but usually to get paid, and to get notoriety, they have to work hard to keep things interesting for the entire duration of the campaign.

A typical D&D campaign isn't going to fire on all cylinders 100% of the time. There's going to be slow, and boring parts. It sounds like you just had a particularly bad DM/players though.
I recommend that you not be concerned with being embarrassed about being the only one to speak in character though. For enough, it greatly increases your skill and confidence at roleplaying, as well as, if other players see that you're having fun with it, they'll be more likely to start roleplaying more too.

Hey guys, I'm joining a group for the first time. I'm making my character today to bring to the session in a few days.

I was thinking of making a Deep Dwarf Druid that reveres some sort of hive god and thus most of his wild shapes will be large insects if possible.

Is that an OK platform to build off of or am I gimping myself?

Sounds sick as fuck. Either be a wild shaper who has insect and weird cave monsters or go land druid and go for the underdark path.

Fuck resurrection magic. It makes characters act like retards and robs death of all meaning. Resurrection spells have a 25% chance to work in my setting. If they fail then that person can never be resurrected.

>party supposed to get into a fight with some bugbear mercs who are bored
>party is scrawny and short, they try to intimidate the bugbears into not fighting
>yeah alright but it's a high DC
>rolls a 19
>other bugbears back down
>leader bugbear challenges Bard "who's the biggest in the party" to a fistfight
>Bard accepts
>proceeds to insult the bugbear until it gets so mad it runs into a wall and knocks itself out

All in all this campaign is going swimmingly. With how much they avoid combat where possible I'm thinking I'll make the next campaign a lot less combat focused. Anyone have experience with running a campaign where combat is the last resort type deal?

well that seems kinda arbitrary
i do like matt mercer's idea with the ritual and increasing dc per death, although it may need to be scaled even harder

>land druid and go for the underdark path

Could you elaborate on this?

I was planning on having him specialize in the whole wild shape thing. I don't have access to my phb at the moment

I give the players a free feat with the caveat that dropping to 0 health is an instant and permanent death.

What is like playing a Thief Rogue?

To put it really simply there are two druid circles. There is Druid of the Moon which is 'less caster, more wildshape' in which you'd just focus more on wild shaping into cool spiders and shit.

Then there is Druid of the Land in which you are 'less wildshaping, more spells'. You pick a specific terrain and gain bonus spells based on which terrain you picked. Pick underdark and get things like invisibility and whatnot.

Yes and you got that advice two threads ago and ignored it. The race is bloated as fuck and unbalanced to hell, it's shit and you should listen when people tell you that. Look at any official race, stick to that formula or fuck off to a game like pf where shit like this can work.

You want to fix it, axe most the shit that people have told you to, not modify, cut it down to match the amount official races get. So in other words, fuck off because you aren't actually trying to fix it because you've been told how more than once now.

The problem, for most people responding to you, isn't the balance. It's the overloading.
You've got a race that has something like 20 things it needs to keep track of, on top of class and background features. It's going to require some tedious attention to detail from both you and the player.
It's got several actions that it can take, on top of all the actions it gets from its class (the main source of abilities and actions for any character). This will slow down play as he considers his vast suite of options.
Combine the two, and add to that the fact that the other players probably aren't going to like it. There'll be one party member with more stuff, who's more unique, who requires special consideration. None of this is fun for other players.
Even if you discuss this with all players beforehand and everyone agrees that these problems are acceptable, I semi-guarantee you they'll become thorny sticking points once you actually start playing.
I COULD be wrong. Everybody here COULD be wrong. But that's our mindset when we give you feedback, because we're assuming you and your players are fairly typical - and we don't think your current philosophy and approach will be fun for typical D&D players.

In my setting resurrection can only be done with one use items that are relics from when gods walked the earth or through Wish. But it's a 9th level spell and costs 50,000exp and ages the caster character 1d4+2 years.

So it sounds like he'd be a Druid of the Moon then, right? I see him as shifting in to a big beetle or scorpion, etc. He'd lose out on some spells but I guess his wild shapes would be better than a druid of the land?

Thank you for the help by the way.

>Tfw been toying with the idea of making these spells require special ingredients
It does really take away the risk of being killed with how piss easy it is to come back.

Any good prison maps? Been googling and checking Pinterest but none seem to match the prison I have (a tall towering rectangle brick prison at the edge of a cliff overlooking a torrential sea). I've drawn some but my map making skills aren't up to snuff.

Characters are gonna break in to smuggle out an NPC who happens to be a long lost heir to the throne and he's key in stopping a conflict between two nations. I'm hoping to make this special but I can't seem to find that inspiration to make a satisfying prison map for them to explore and interact with the NPCs inside.

Those are two extremes. Critical Role is barely a game at all, and these autistics usually just want to kill stuff.

Why are you so pissed?

We're all just here to have fun with our imaginary game.

>Critical Role is barely a game at all
wat

Yeah your wild shape will scale better as a Druid of the Moon but you miss out on some really good spells. Not a big deal if you are constantly a giant bat or something.

Because someone has been told how to fix their special snowflake homebrew multiple times and continues to ignore that advice while claiming they want to "fix it". At this point it's fucking annoying

>Not making ressurection a quest where the party needs to save the character's spirit from the astral sea.

Pleb

i mean they have a really bad grasp of game mechanics even after five years of playing
sam is basically the only one who knows how to use his spells effectively, and they have no concept of how to budget their resources and prepare for dangerous encounters

He's right, even as someone who likes watching CR, only two of the players really know how to play the game. The rest are a bumbling mess that make it almost painful to watch. Even worse is one of those two is stuck with a six intelligence character.

Have you considered that a single diamond worth 1000 gp can be really hard to come across?

>Guy spams thread wanting his edgelord race balanced
>People tell him it's fucked and how to fix it
>Guy refuses changes, asks for more advice
>People tell him to fuck off if he didn't want the advice
>He continues to spam in the thread