How practical would this type of weapon be realistically?

How practical would this type of weapon be realistically?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=M_XwzBMTJaM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The Indians created a weapon like that, it already exists.

Yell from Akikan.

A Katar?

Not very. At least not that design. Maybe if there was a knuckle guard and a grip. Like a actual Katar. THAT was used as an actual side arm for a while

If it's attached to your arm like that, it won't be quite as useful as a weapon in your hands. Like it's not as easy to get it to the spot you need it to be because it being attached to your forearm limits where and how quickly you can move it around compared to a held weapon.

Well congrats, it's even more awkward and useless than a katar, since it appears fixed to his forearm. You can't angle the blade or do quick feints and parries when you can't use your wrist.

It'd be good for stabbing, since there's fewer joints between the blade and the body, but it's so long you'd be unable to get a good approach without being six feet away. It's not very good.

It's not practical at all as a primary weapon, but as a sidearm it has uses, especially if you can retract it and trigger it to extend out violently.

Depends on its bankai.

Only if you have really, really fucking strong wrists and forearms. Otherwise you're just asking to have your arm dislocated by a half-decent deflection or parry.

You can't maneuver it as well, either.

But Gottwald is a robot so it hardly matters. His arm probably rotates through 360 degrees if he wants, and also has a martini shaker.

>It'd be good for stabbing
hacking and chopping too, that's pretty much all elbow and/or upper body, though in that case you'd expect it to be unusually heavy, awkwardly weighted, or have a completely different design than OP's pic.

Much better given that Jeremiah could retract it back into his cybernetic arm.

Since it retracts, pretty good.

youtube.com/watch?v=M_XwzBMTJaM

If it's used like how the zealots are doing it in that clip where you constantly retract and deploy, it's actually a pretty useful weapon.

He can, he is also a cyborg capable of fighting giant robots through shier loyalty alone

Patas are cool.

Depends on your Loyalty level.

>Only if you have really, really fucking strong wrists and forearms.

Patas have support for your wrist, and you are supposed to use your entire arm/upper body to swing them, so if anything it's less intensive on your wrist/forearm than a normal sword (which isn't saying much, swinging a sword is kinda hard).

Well give that man a hat and call him Commissar.

Code Geass was ruined to me the moment mechs started to fly.

Bruh it looks like it could be an épée or foil for fencing. Fight with it like that.

Code Geass was ruined from the start.

Really Japan, you are gonna write a story about how awful foreign occupations are? You fucking hypocritical fuckers.

My wife for hire.

They never said that foreign occupations are bad. They said that foreign occupations of Japan are bad.

this desu, they don't say shit about the REST of the world even though IIRC it's equally fucked up everywhere else

Jesus christ, how many bags of cement do you guys eat for breakfast? Because you guys are dense.

They're absolute shit compared to non-meme swords. So the answer to OP's question is still "not really".

Are you saying that all Japanese people are guilty of past imperialism and/or currently support it?

The weirdest thing is patas were cavalry swords.

People who deny Rape of Nanking and other nice stuff by Imperial Army? Yep, they support past imperialism by protecting its public image.

>How practical would this type of weapon be realistically?
Not really practical
But why do you care about realism in a game of pretend?

I didn't know that.

Makes some sense, considering the way it's attached to your forearm you'd be able to deliver a lot stronger blows without fucking your wrist, or possibly use it as a mini-lance for a stab I guess?

I wonder how that worked.

And have the creators of Code Geass publicly denied the crimes of Imperial Japan? Because if they haven't your comment is stupid and nonsensical.

Orange was one of the best things about this show. Well that and the bullshit keikaku moments.
>onemillionzeroes.jpg

Maybe it let you have some grasp of reins?

>Jap has learned Forget War Crimes

it also protects your wrist and upper arm, which would be one of the most exposed parts for a cavalryman, if he has it out there slicing peasants

well, that's not an inaccurate description of his job later on

Cavalry and infantry, actually. You use them to cut and slash with, and historically were paired with a shield or another pata. You DON'T use them for thrusting like a katar though, as you'd have trouble dislodging it, especially while on horseback. You cut and run with it, with a partner or group going with you to maximize casualties for enemy forces.

It's actually a fairly modern weapon too, started seeing use around the 1600s and continued until the late 1700s/early 1800s.

Dude's a cyborg, its built into his arm and extends out as needed along with other enhancements

The drones of Imperial Nippon weren't even human before the nukes cleansed them.

Yeah, it's called a Quatar.

>or possibly use it as a mini-lance for a stab I guess?
since all the force of impact would go into your arm and shoulder, probably not that well. You can let go of a lance if the strain is too grat. this thing... not so much.
for stabing people from a standing/slow moving horse i think it could be a quite effective stabbing tool thought.
still i just love old indian weapon styles

Loyalty is an excellent weapon.

They learned from the best, they learned from the USA.

I can certainly agree with you the second they made everyone fly was a negative factor on the series.

And of course it was done entirely out of animator laziness/being cheaper, much easier in series like this or the Gundams of the Cosmic Era etc just to have the robots float in midair instead of animate them walking and running around.

india had much more creativity in creating weapons than europe did. I wonder why that is and if is did provide an advantage.
In fact all of couthern and south-east asia had a lot of original weapons and martial arts. Shme they're never used.

Europe had stuff, some of it really weird.

But whats practical works.

You could chalk alot of the unusual examples you are talking about as inspired by particular parts of their culture or religions, but was never meant to be entirely practical.

I'm going to make a very uneducated guess and say that India may have been a more stable area during the Middle Ages, leading to more meme weapons for meme purposes. Europe on the other hand was always a giant moshpit for supremacy, leading to constant arms races in which everyone tried to have the best swords, the best armor and (later) the best guns. That doesn't really allow for a lot of space to create meme weapons like the Indian Throwing Vagina.

>I'm going to make a very uneducated guess and say that India may have been a more stable area during the Middle Ages, leading to more meme weapons for meme purposes.

These meme weapons are almost exclusively from the early modern to modern period, brah.

Also the Indian Middle Ages was basically an Age during which every prince claimed full right to burn everything down while the Muzzies and Huns were just doing that.

It's also very likely the more unusual weapons were regional and never caught on with the major empires that forced the acceptance of their weapons as standard, thus being lost to history.

I think it's more likely a combination of particualr prts of culture and weapons forged for very specific uses or situations.
Like the whipsword. It's fairly useless against armed opponents or in a pitched battle. But it would be great against a group of armed peasants. Not only for its ability to injure a large number of people at once but also because it identifies the user as a aster of arms.

Looks useless to me. You completely lose any wrist action, and it would put huge stress on your forearm. No ability whatsoever to flex and absorb shock. Would easily get in the way if you want to use your hands...

A katar is a better option, but still shitty. Maybe as a status symbol. A knife is far better.

>Europe on the other hand was always a giant moshpit for supremacy, leading to constant arms races in which everyone tried to have the best swords, the best armor and (later) the best guns.

Europe was anything but that.
Ottomans raped our ass because they brought in mass firearms to the field. Europe struggled to make anything comparable for ages and only had an upper hand in cannon-making... because we were racing each other to cast the biggest and baddest bells for the cathedrals and crap like that.

European ship making and warfare was also one massive crapshoot that allowed just about everyone with a navy to rape the European coasts, it's why Venice was so extremely rich, those fuckers were the ones who made alliance with the Mussies and gave them tips on where to find the opposition.

European castles? Absolute crapshoot before the steppeniggers came about and fucked up most of Europe to build something even resembling a viable defense structure.

Europe was never a place to push boundaries of warfare. The military powerhouse we ended up being came about because we were aware of just awfully behind we were and had to trade with everyone you could imagine to get anywhere.

Actual push for optimising tools of war, standardising training and equipment, research into these matters. All of that only happened after the Industrial Revolution which is centuries after the Middle Ages. We weren't stagnating before, but we sure as fuck didn't have anything even resembling a developing arms sector. Weapons were used and slowly improved but they were just as ornamental, rugged or impractical as everywhere else in the world.

They actually have a lot of anti-Japan parts in there.

I agreed, though I do still think that first flying mech was cool (the Gawain, I think it was called?), but the fact that every mech in the second season could do what that one did but better was fucking lame.

>European castles? Absolute crapshoot before the steppeniggers came about and fucked up most of Europe to build something even resembling a viable defense structure.
They never got further than Hungary what the fuck you talking about? Stone castles were the norm in western Europe since the 12th century as well.
Europe was also ahead in arms and shipbuilding by the 17th century, when European ships could sail all over the world, the Ottoman conquests were stopped at every turn and they fell into decline. By this century the America's had also fallen to Europe and the colonisation of Asia started, with the Dutch for example fighting and winning many wars with the indonesian tribes.

L O Y A L T Y
O
Y
A
L
T
Y

They are fairly usable as weapons of war. If they weren't, they'd have been phased out much quicker. Again, the Pata is an infantry and cavalry weapon that you use to slash with. Katars in contrast are punching daggers that deliver a lot of force in a relatively small area, meant to be used more like a Gladius or other sidearm.

They're only a fraction of India's weaponry from the early modern period, though, and most other ones look fairly familiar. Armies of the time also relied on spears, battleaxes, maces, various other kinds of swords and daggers, bows, and gradually, matchlocks and other firearms. You also have to consider that their arsenals included war elephants as cavalry forces, which can have drastically different functions in combat when compared to horses. I believe some of them even had custom-fit "tusk-swords" to help them slaughter foes in combat.

>It's super effective

Came here to post this

Not very.
>tfw your girl doesn't destroy mechas with the power of her [L O Y A L T Y] to you
It hurts

>Gottwald

You mean Orange?

[autistically schreeches in moonspeak]