15mm Figures

>GM uses 15mm figs for combat in his game

How do you react? Is this in poor taste?

Other urls found in this thread:

theminiaturespage.com/ref/scales.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

me not really into minis, aren't those the ones that are specially small and harder to paint?

How big is the combat?

If he's stimulating hundreds of soldiers, good.

If it's for like dnd and only like characters, then bad.

They are even easier to paint, as there is no need to go in miniscule detail. It's harder to produce AWESOME work of art, of course. But a workable miniature that looks good takes way less time. I know folks who paint 15mm units in time that takes them to do a good 28mm mini. Also, it's a go-to scale for non-40k sci-fi.

Anyway, why scale would even matter? Either you are okay with figures or no. Are you that insecure about doing anything not totally mainstream?

28mm is 40K scale, and general "Infantry are the heroes" scale.
15mm is flames of war scale. N-Scale, I think.
6mm is Historical Microarmor / Battletech / Epic 40K scale.

Smaller scales than that are probably focused on warships, spaceships, etc.

I know that there is even Pendraken's 10mm dungeon series. But 10mm are in most cases sold in bulks, so 15mm sounds best.

>more figures that paint quickly, so more variety
>more place on table, so viable tactical situation will fit on a table that has a screen, books, food and tons of other stuff
>price is better
>plenty of companies sell it
>if you paint them in 4/10 fashion they are small eunough to not look ridiclous

There is also 20 mm that's almost exclusive to historicals (Italieri and others produce in this scale), 10mm (best rank-and-file scale, Warmaster was made in it and some people play Minihammer in it). 3mm is commonly used for Cold War and present conflicts on bigger scale as even ths scale barely keeps sensible propotions. There is also some sci-fi in it.

Smallest wargaming figures I have seen are Irregular miniatures- 2mm scale. But they are whole blocks of minis casted together and even owners agree that it's kinda ridiculous. It's probably for people tth want some miniatures to use with their ships.

>How do you react? Is this in poor taste?
I like my RPG to be heavy on the G. The more like a wargame it plays, the more I'm likely to enjoy it. My ideal RPG is a wargame campaign with some control over what direction the game progresses, like choosing to recon raids or ambushing supply convoys before making a big push on an enemy position. Most people I've played with don't admit to wanting this, but when presented with RP elements, want nothing to do with it. Instead, they want to hurry up and get back to rolling dice, killing zombies, and getting loot.

In the past, when I first started out with Veeky Forums stuff in general, I tried to get my players to use pewter miniatures, since I thought the best part of RPGs is having "Your guy" that more or less was a customizable paper doll with stats, so I wanted my players to enjoy being able to paint their own minis. One player got said mini blown out from under him in the first session.

...Ever since, I've used cheaper, easier solutions. Paper standies do the job, and can be made and/or swapped out way more easily and cost-effectively than minis.

In the OP's case, I'd be pretty impressed with what the GM has set up for us, but between characters getting killed and the possibility of flaky players skipping out on the group only one or two sessions in, would share what I'd learned the hard way.

You need generic miniatures. Like, who cares if eye colour of two ruffians you kill in subsequent encounters is different and still they are played by a single miniature?

It's a bloody token.

Still, you are right that bothering with miniatures is needless.

>15mm is flames of war scale. N-Scale, I think.
Slight error there. Railroad N-scale is very close to 10mm aka Warmaster / Dropzone Commander scale. It gets used by the sci-fi / fantasy crowd who can't decide between "I want a big battle!" (which you can't quite do at 15mm) and "I want recognizable hero characters!" (which you can't quite do at 6mm).

I'll resign to that.
I didn't know that the scale change between Z-scale (6mm) and N-scale was that small. Those clix figures are pretty damned huge in comparison.

If you as the GM know exactly what's coming up, maybe as part of a dungeon crawl or a one-shot, then yeah, it's pretty cool to be able to have a good visual aid.

...but as an RPG group, it seems more trouble than it's worth, and if we're using grid-play anyway, I'd rather see an accurate paper standie than a 3D proxy.

Plus, I've noticed I can still get that "Paint your own mini" feeling by sending players B&W line art to color either via Photoshop or pencil crayons to be scanned later. Just reduce to scale, print, cut, tape it to a penny, good to go.

>I didn't know that the scale change between Z-scale (6mm) and N-scale was that small. Those clix figures are pretty damned huge in comparison.
It's not *that* small a difference at all, it's basically double. 6mm figs typically get put next to 1/285 or 1/300 vehicles. 10mm figs usually use 1/160 vehicles, which matches up with N.

IIRC, Z scale is somewhere between the two, and human figures made for that scale are usually in the 7mm - 8mm range.

theminiaturespage.com/ref/scales.html

The difference between the two scales only seems insignificant because the approximations we're using blur the difference. But if you look at vehicles (esp aircraft) or buildings for the two scales, the difference is dramatic.

We bounce between players' apartments, where a card table or coffee table is the best we can do, not some 4x6 monster with plenty of space. We use 15mm for the heroes, mounted on nickels. We just use beads / dice / chess pawns / whatever for mobs though.

>We just use beads / dice / chess pawns / whatever for mobs though.
But the mobs are the best part, there's so many nice miniatures!

>Those Daemonworld figures

Don't tempt me, Satan.

Cmon man, all the cool kids are doing it, don't you wanna be cool?

>DM actually puts in effort to paint figures for our games

What a dick.
How do you survive OP?

Since we're playing CTrav, I guess he wants to use Striker.

I mean, I am the GM.

Ive experimented a bit with hand sculpting 15mm and for the relatively short time it takes to make them look decent it would mean you could whip up custom minis for almost every PC and major NPC which would be neat I guess.