Does your table read the PHB?

Other urls found in this thread:

media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf
dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/race-options-eladrin-and-gith
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Making a new thread before arcana releases
JIMMY, PEOPLE GO TO HELL FOR THAT

Reposting my findings for a new thread. Will only post maybe one or two more times for the 'night crowd' to generate discussion.

I haven't been in a 5e thread in a long time, so I don't know if this information has already been sorted out, but I'm going to post my findings. I've been playing in and out of campaigns, one-shots, small adventures, and reading through the different adventures, both official, adventurer's league, and house brew.

I've noticed that some skills are more valuable than others, and have separated them into this tier list. If there already is a tier list, I haven't seen it yet, so you can just take my findings as my own study. Because of word count, I can't explain all of them, so if you have any questions what the tiers mean or why a skill is in one tier and not the other, just ask.

GOD TIER
>Perception
>Stealth
>Insight
>Athletics

HIGH TIER
>Acrobatics
>Sleight of Hand
>Medicine
>Survival

MID TIER
>Arcana
>Nature
>Persuasion

LOW TIER
>History
>Religion
>Animal Handling
>Deception
>Tool Proficiency
>Thieves Tools - On the list simply because you can expertise into it and I find this is usually a bad idea

SHIT TIER
>Intimidation
>Performance
>Investigation

Profusely. But mostly only the races, class, feats and spells sections

Let's make a conclusive tier list broken down by subclasses. Go.

TWO MINUTES, op. All you had to do was wait TWO MINUTES.
Also, jeez, is that an underwhelming arcana or what.

The DM, I, our cleric, druid/barb/fighter/warlock/everything, and one bard did. Our other bard didn't and rolled fucking d20s for stats.

YOU'RE SHITTING ME

I'm really hype for Greyhawk Pillars of AC in the new UA

Top Tier
>Lore Wizard

High Tier
>Wizard

Shit Tier
>Everything Else

I'm trying to make a magical detective. What would be a good class for it?

It's already out you dingus.
dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/race-options-eladrin-and-gith

It's not fucking nothing but it's not a hell of a lot either.

You're kidding me with this, right?

Would the Raven Queen consider marrying a mortal warlock, if he was really loyal to her and rise to immense power (level15+)?

Could you make it the warlocks goal to marry his queen, without it being 100% delusional?

Bard or Druid. Niggas aren't expecting you to bring a talking tree and two pots of moss onto the stand to testify.

I like it.

There's nothing wrong with delusional goals.

>Gith ability is literally called "innate psionics"
>Uses magic system rather than psionics
What did they mean by this?

I did it with a divination Wizard.

Other alternatives are Crown Paladin, Knowledge Cleric, and as always Lore Bard, aka Raspberry Pi

Of course, considering she's a write in DevPC. I'm sure the developer would enjoy a romance line fixated on her character.

Unearthed Arcana never interact with one another.

Save for some immense exception like seeker Warlock or revised ranger

Would swap Medicine with Persuasion
And put Animal Handling and intimidation in Mid-Tier.

Otherwise pretty much the same for my games.

Also it seems easier to just use PHB analogues for those powers anyways. Have a minor form of telekinesis? Mage hand. Psychic ability to teleport? Misty step.

It is delusional goal, but that's fine, Thanos has the same goal and the entire infinity gauntlet storyline is just about him coming to terms with the fact that his goal is unattainable and realizing that even becoming God doesn't satisfy his yearning for his love to be reciprocated.

The new UA is a fucking joke. So many other things to be touched on, and they choose to feature two races that nobody plays. Fucking discarded.

It's better than fucking greyhawk initiative or three pillar experience that's for sure.

...no. By all means have him be besotted by his patron, but she's a god of death. Literally the god of accepting the end of things. Lasting relationships aren't in her purview, and she'd just not be that into him.

At least it's not Greyhawk Initiative revised.

Friendly reminder: it took them a "month" to write this.

Anyone got a list with all the races, classes and subclasses introduced so far by books and supplements (but not UA)?

At least those were funny in a slow descent into nothingness kind of way.

A whole lotta nothing, again.

Seriously Mearls, just quit while you're ahead.

>tier list for proficiencies
Depends on the DM
depends on the setting, too
I'll agree that perception is typically universally good, though.

Meh.

Don't bully Mearls and Crawford, they're really busy with all this pride parades they visit and interviews to Jezebel they give. It's hard work.

Divination wizard, lore bard, knowledge cleric.

I bet you the twat writes it in a day.

Their best content was released weekly, you'd think a shift to monthly release woukd improve quality, but no.

What did you guys want for a UA? No food and provisions

>we waited two weeks for special snowflake shit your DM won't allow anyway

More wizard dubclasses since xanthars is only bringing 1 subclass.

Food and provisions. It would be funny if the meme actually got to WotC.

What's wrong with 3 pillars? I'm using it in my current game.

Medicine is high tier because not only does it gather great info forensically about corpses, allowing you a psuedo back-up detect traps, it also gives you functionality in keeping people alive. Persuasion sounds beneficial considering it's a roleplaying game, but ultimately, I find the usage of the skill is either for a slight increase of bonuses (negotiation or haggling), or if it is plot related, the DM/adventure will have a backup path for players to follow. There is also the fact that most good-great DMs will allow you to circumvent it entirely if you roleplay well enough.

Animal Handling is in low tier because it's information gathering can be easily replaced by nature checks and often is, or people use it for a niche use of training an animal which I find is rarely worth the effort. The animal training can also be cheaply circumvented by merely hiring an animal trainer.

Intimidation is in shit-tier because most DMs don't properly handle it, and in some cases, even when successful on the roll, some DMs will implement a penalty, such as alerting nearby guards. The classes that get it tend to not be Charisma classes as well, meaning it often fails in general.

Not to discount your experiences or anything, just explaining why I put them where I did.

I take that into account. This list accounts for the majority of DMs I played under from Shit to Fantastic. The stuff at the higher end will be used very often by both good and bad DMs, while the stuff at the lower end of the spectrum will have more ways to be circumvented entirely by both DMs.

wasting all that time when you could just use milestones

Best Paladin oath?

Treachery.

Eladrin and Gith races UA.

It was a one page PDF of extremely fucking obvious shit, and we waited a month for some unpaid intern to write it five minutes before the deadline.

Oath of Previous Edition Paladin Rules

>Looking at reddit's response
>"Hmm yes very flavorful yes"

Jesus christ these tards would be happy with actual cocksucking rules.

>wanting 3.5e paladin
no thanks

>tfw in 15 session my DM never had us roll for Insight but we rolled for Investigation 3x/session minimum
>tfw conversations rarely involved Persuasion but Intimidation was used constantly
>tfw I got a chance to use my Thieves Tools expertise every session
There's no such thing as an objective tier list for this kind of stuff, it all depends on your DM's habits and how they use them.

Devotion. No school like old school.

-Better, clearer crafting rules
-Some more revised subclasses
-Another setting UA like what we had for Eberron a while back
-Something that would have taken a month rather than something I could poop out in a few hours
-Revised sorcerer
-More mounts
-More magic items
-Expanded list of suggestions for weapon and armor refluff
-More spells
-Revised started spells
-Fixed 4elements monk
-More epic-tier monsters

You should be grateful for the immense manpower that's put into 5e.

Vengeance and Ancients are really good. Oathbreaker is good if your DM allows it. Oathbreaker is also busted if your DM lets you pair it with a necromancer.

>he thinks anyone was talking about 3.5

I'd say Perception, Athletics and stealth are probably stronger than the rest since they have mechanics tied to them.

2e paladins are the best paladins

3.5 paladins were fucking horrible, why would anyone want that? You were always one step from falling and losing all your class features forever at all times, thanks to retarded alignment rules and omnipresent dickass DMs.

I like that it's something of a balance between CR xp and milestones. Doesn't feel quite as subjective as milestones but it also isn't based entirely on murderhoboing

>he also thinks anyone was talking about 3.5
nice oath of strawmen

>Implying the devs don't spend 90% of their time jerking off about nerd pride

Yes, manpower. Singular.

>not specifying edition and just saying "previous edition"
it's like you struggle with autism or something

>Unearthed Arcana: Black Powder and Flintlocks ft. Matt Mercer

Like I said, I take multiple DMs into account and average the experiences. If you have one singular DM, then the better option is to metagame your specific DM on what they tend to do and include in their game. For instance, your DM seems to have an odd obsession with using investigation, whereas the norm seems to be most DMs will largely ignore it or call for perception. The list also doesn't really account for the oddball DMs that mix and match skills and stats, such as a Charisma(Investigation) check to gather information.

Also, just to mention it, insight is usually a check you ask the DM to make on your own, not one that is called for. The reason why it's so high up is because the information gathering abilities alone are almost campaign breaking, but many DMs will also allow you to stretch the definition a bit, such as getting actual insight into how a mechanical device works. A call I've been allowed by three separate DMs and have seen others do.

>seems to have an odd obsession with using investigation
>An odd obsession with using skill checks as they're meant to be used

Neat! I like em.

I think I'll stick with DMG Eladrin, not that I wanted to roll one up in the first place. Gith seem decent enough though.

Expanded Somatic Components
Alternative Stat Distribution
Random Tables for Determining Race and Class (PHB only)
Guide for Creating Backstories
Common Household Items and Their Weights
Varying Adventure Days by Season
Organizing Campaign Notes Unleshed

Because all Paladins except 3X are valid, we're trying to be as inclusive as is reasonable here. I'm sorry 3.5 has had the biggest impact on your tabletop career, and I don't mean that in the "sorry you're an idiot" sense, but the "i actually feel bad that you grew up with a shit system and have been irrevocably damaged by it".

Oh GOD.

Devotion or OoA

>Bonus Action
>A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. You must use a bonus action on your turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven’t already taken a bonus action this turn. You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

>You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

Well shit, I've completely overlooked this and thought you could cast two spells at the same time as long as one was bonus action. How do I break this to my table? A lot of them love casting spells then casting another if it has the cast time of a bonus action.

>Common Household Items and Their Weights
>tfw I'd actually want this

>Varying Adventure Days by Season
I unironically want this one.

>EARGCVO
what did he mean by this

Don't blame yourself, it took me a while to find out too. They really didn't state this rule enough in the correct places.

>that subclass/subrace that hasn't been made yet
What's it's name, /5eg/?

General opinion seems to be that sorcerers suck.

Can anyone elaborate?

>Remember how it seemed like your classes were really fucking good and managed to trivialize all the encounters? Turns out some of that wasn't intentional.

Hugely DM and campaign dependent, and (especially for int skills) depends on how well your players can differentiate between player knowledge and character knowledge.

That said, this does seem broadly accurate to me. I've experimented with allowing players to 'double up' on modifiers to reward players who've taken the less used skills, with some success.

For example, a PC with both performance and persuasion making a rousing speech to the villiage could add prof + 2*cha to the roll. My group is pretty good nature, and not powergamey so it hasn't broken anything so far.

They're fine

People spend too much time theorycrafting their perfect "build" to actually make characters

Binder, if we're talking about "hasn't been made yet IN 5E"

We went over this last thread
Wizards are much better

>Class that has the flavor of "you ARE magic"
>turns out you ain't so great with magic versus the class that has to study magic and the other one that has to WiFi his magic from some eldritch horror in space

SWORDMAGE

I take Matthew Mercer's homebrew rule.

>Casting two spells above first level on your turn, with one up to a maximum of 2nd level as bonus. (RAW only one non-cantrip spell is allowed on your turn, PHB page 202. For example, you could cast both Hold Person and Healing Word in the same turn under these rules. RAW the maximum you could do is a Cantrip + Healing Word.) The spells still follow the normal action economy of the casting time in the spell description - you cannot both attack and cast Dispel Magic in the same turn, as both of those are actions, but you could cast Dispel Magic and Healing Word (at level 1 or 2 only) under these rules.

If you don't want this at all, just tell them "I'm an idiot and I made a big mistake..." follow this anons idea

Within the 4 dozen adventures or so that I've read, I think I might have seen one or two calls for investigation skills. Even under custom-made adventurers, most DMs would rather have you actually interact with the puzzle or the area directly instead of making an investigation check. It's just a matter of rarity.

I call it odd obsession because even though he's using the game as intended, making three investigation checks per session when the norm seems to be almost never is quite odd to me. It sounds like he might have a bias against making perception checks all the time, but that part is just my conjecture.

>Hugely DM and campaign dependent
Again, I take that into account. I think I'm going to preface that into the text before I post it for the night crowd, provided the thread doesn't survive.

Hey lorefriends, am I reading the new elf wrong, or does it actually seem to actively encourage a lolrandom kind of character? Are these elves known for being out there in the lore?

I know some players that are not going to like this

Swarm druid. Creepy fungus druid. Undead druid. Aberration druid. Anything related to druids that's not cookie cutter goody two shoes. For fuck's sake, paladin has THREE different evil subclasses. And paladin is supposed to be a champion of good!

Tell them that they're fullcasters, and that they'll be fine.

Arcane Half Caster.
Half Ogres.

More weapons, armor and feats.

Psionic fighter.

Some sort of shamanistic druid, or some sort of evil druid
Some sort of ranger that isn't a spellcaster
Unarmored/lightly armored fighter
A cleric archetype that's based around standing back and casting from afar
Dimensionalist wizard

Alternatively, start taking classes from 4e and bring them over to 5th

Yes but not high on the list with monthly UA
Always
Yes please
This would be great but they're too shit to manage it
Yes please, current one is a shitty wizard when they should be at least on par
Meh
Yes
Meh, roll it into something like a setting UA
Yes but roll it into another UA
Meh, especially with what they already gave us on this
Yes
Yes but roll into something

>Magus/Swordmage/some class that can channel spells through weapons.

Pugilist/some strength based monk class that doesn't suck