Is there a name for that genre that combines scifi and fantasy in that way that's popular in JRPGs and not really all...

Is there a name for that genre that combines scifi and fantasy in that way that's popular in JRPGs and not really all that popular anywhere else?

With some guy wearing modern/futuristic clothes wielding a sword, fighting alongside a beast person wearing stylized medieval armor with a gun, along with a cybersuit-wearing ninja with cat features and a sword gun, and they fight against robots, knights, dinosaurs, soldiers, and dragons?

And there's medieval castles, futuristic military fortresses, ancient primordial temples, and gutter slums?
With tanks, spaceships, airships, cars, horses, and strange riding beasts?

And there's magic, technology, and magitechnology, and also mystical forces are slowly revealed and never fully explained and left for people to debate online indefinitely?

And everything seems to be chosen on account of it looking cool, yet there's a ton of effort put into the setting to still somehow make so many different elements still internally consistent?

>hat's popular in JRPGs and not really all that popular anywhere else
lol whut

>combines scifi and fantasy in that way that's popular in JRPGs and not really all that popular anywhere else

>name for that genre that combines scifi and fantasy in that way that's popular in JRPGs and not really all that popular anywhere else?

Science Fantasy user.

That's an actual genre.

>Is there a name for that genre that combines scifi and fantasy in that way that's popular in JRPGs and not really all that popular anywhere else?

Sword and pPlanet.

That repost time limit is a bitch, isn't it?

>popular in JRPGs and not really all that popular anywhere else?

>and not really all that popular anywhere else?
spelljammer was made in 1989

>

>Is there a name for that genre that combines scifi and fantasy in that way that's popular in JRPGs and not really all that popular anywhere else?
I'm going with "stupid".

It took you a while to Google Image Search up some more stuff.

You're really starting to reach, by the way. You should've stopped before you hit 40k, but then you'd be trying to hold up your definiton of things that are 'popular' with a line of Lego no-one except you has ever heard of.

I feel I made my point, don't try to pretend lego isn't popular just to cling to some broken ribbonposter delusion.

Combining fantasy and science fiction isn't unique, but those all are either self-parodies or not really all that popular.

And though lego is popular, that set isn't exactly one of the more popular or iconic ones, and isn't quite as broad or encompassing as something like one of the Final Fantasy games.

You just described Overwatch. I think 'Kitchen sink' is the term you're looking for though.

Isn't Overwatch pure scifi though, kind of in the way Numenara is?

It's vague, but the Shimada bros don't have a good explanation behind their spirit dragons.

Mainly mentioned it because OP asked for people in future arm or using melee weapons, beastmen, and cybersuit ninjas fighting in ancient temples, medieval castles, military compounds, and slums.

Science Fantasy was the default mode of science fiction/fantasy up until Tolkien, essentially. Your magic was sufficiently advanced tech, or your pulp heroes would be able to make wondrous machines and command mystic Chinkmagic.

Being as specific (read: on FF7's dick) as OP, the answer is Shadowrun. Machine and magic meet man.

Well your viewpoint seems monofocused on upholding Final Fantasy as a unique element and you are deliberately ignoring the wealth of other fiction that also conforms to your criteria as "not popular enough", so I don't know what to tell you.

You are right, it would have been easier for me just to say "science fantasy".

What you're talking about is a giant chunk of 80s cartoons, most notably He-Man and Thundercats. Going back, the sword and planet genre and pulp sci-fi from the first half of the 20th century was of kitchen sink science-fantasy. It's not that it's not popular in the West, it's just not that popular right now.

The biggest thing currently would be World of Warcraft, which has all your basic high fantasy stuff, plus airplanes, submarines, flying aircraft carriers, motorcycles, tanks, mecha, and in the current expansion you take a spaceship to another planet to fight demons.

I think just posting 40k would have been sufficient to make his point. Star Wars would be another example.

How about any superhero setting where champions of ancient gods team up with supermutants to fight robot dinosaurs every other week?

It's called fantasy.

>Well your viewpoint seems monofocused on upholding Final Fantasy as a unique element

It seems to be quite popular in the JRPG genre, with games like Skies of Arcadia, the Tales Series, Summon Knight, Arc Rise Fantasia, and so on and so forth, with Final Fantasy likely being the series that really helped carve out a niche for "Kitchen Sink" in the genre.

"Science Fantasy" is rather broad and can be applied to everything from Star Wars to 40k, but the idea of disparate technologies/magic systems often exemplified side-by-side with characters in the same party while still seeming like a cohesive whole seems to be something that actually works really well in games like JRPGs, which devote arcs to exploring the characters in the party in turn. It's not unique to JRPGs, but it seems to be more popular there than just about anywhere, especially in the west where the divide between science fiction and fantasy sometimes leads to science fiction fans shouting "keep your fantasy out of my science fiction!" while fantasy fans shout "Keep science fiction out of my fantasy."

Maybe just "JRPG-Style Science Fantasy"

That's because video games balance the characters so that there isn't a disparity between technological and magic systems.

As someone pointed out a few posts ago, you're completely leaving out Marvel/DC superhero settings. The upcoming Justice League movie will be about a pulp detective, an immortal Amazon warrior, the king of Atlantis, a cyborg, a space alien, and guy who gained superpowers through lightning and chemistry teaming up to fight a magitech god from outer space and his army of cybernetic demons.

None of the things you're spamming actually fit what the OP described.

also it bears mention that JRPGs are directly inspired/lifted from western fantasy and pop culture, and they are products of an art director vision, and they are protagonist-driven, so they are afforded a lot of "latitude" in incorporating disparate and anachronistic elements, called "rule of cool".

So it's not a particularly impressive aspect that they can 'seamlessly' incorporate different appeals, it's fundamentally a contrivance to begin with.

Warhammer 40k.

Marvel or DC, as universes/settings, aren't really cohesive and unified, and while it has magic and technology, if often ends up with ludicrous combinations that both the readers and writers agree are played for humor or for the ridiculous factor, or just plain don't work together.

However, you're right about the movies, because they do try to make them more cohesive and played with a straight face, though often at the expense of reducing the idea of magic and often even the level of technology.

I'd definitely call Marvel/DC as "kitchen sink" settings, but does that make
a subdivision of kitchen sink, or something completely different since the JRPG-Style approach is rather distinct from simply throwing everything together like what ended up happening with the Marvel/DC universes?

OP just rattled off a bunch of things and,said the only types of,settings that mixed that sort of stuff was JRPGs

Which is pretty much inherently a dumb and demonstrably wrong statement. Everything else has been goalpost moving,about popularity or not 100% fitting the criteria

It should be called "Kitchen Sink but I like it instead of I don't like it"

No, JRPGs are pretty firmly kitchen sink. The first one was pretty much literally old schools D&D, Barrier peaks and all. Others have been more or less modern, but have just as nuxh bullshit with technology and science as they do with ancient gods, magic crystals, and tiny flying cats that cast magic.the fact that the tech is powered by magic crystals doesnt suddenly make the setting 'coherent'

You seem super hostile, AND wrong.
What's your problem?

I think the OP is trying to get at some division in the anachronistic fantasy kitchen sink settings that exist between JRPGs and the west? It kinda feels like a "Sure, I guess" kinda question though.

Let's just call it what it is, Anime.
OP wants to play an Anime game.
There, I said it.

>What's your problem?

The fact that OP has continued to try and bitch instead of accepting that he's just an idiot and the thing he's asking for is all over the Fucking place.

And all he's done is say 'nuh-uh, you're wrong!' To anyone who says otherwise

I was actually just hoping there was a nice term for it, and I guess "Kitchen Sink" is the one to use.
Unless there's a better term?

The division is literally just that Japs like them more because it caught on there and formed the foundation. That's it, but OP doesn't seem to be picking that up

Anime fantasy. It's distinct enough to refer to things like final fantasy, xenogears/saga, and other more modern JRPGs, and doesn't really include these other things you deem invalid.

So WoW or Age of Sigmar? Or WH40k? Or like every other science fiction work since forever?

I think the guy is referring to some more anime/jap tropes that are common in the things he likes, and not common in the things he doesn't.

Literally play RIFTS, it's exactly what you are talking about

GURPS?

That's kind of a cop out. It can do a lot of settings.

Your meme is shit.

>i wanna know about thing
>WHY ARE YOU SHOWING ME THING

That's not what's happening. At all.
Really, what's your problem? Don't like JRPGs or something? Is that what put a bee in your bonnet?

He's probably one of those "Fuck anime" faggots who decided that was a good opinion to throw around on an Indus river valley civilization cave painting temple.

>With some guy wearing modern/futuristic clothes wielding a sword, fighting alongside a beast person wearing stylized medieval armor with a gun, along with a cybersuit-wearing ninja with cat features and a sword gun, and they fight against robots, knights, dinosaurs, soldiers, and dragons?

To be fair, a lot of Western science fantasy is a very different animal from Star Wars or Final Fantasy. But I would argue that Star Wars and Final Fantasy are quite similar. Both are primarily driven by aesthetics and feelings rather than the question of how their supernatural forces would affect people's lives. Why do Luke and Cloud use swords when guns are available? Because it's cool, full stop.

Science fantasy can be speculative (Book of the New Sun, Dying Earth, The Magic Goes Away) or it can be aesthetics-driven (Star Wars, Final Fantasy, 40K). That's the important distinction you're looking for.

One, samefag. Two, you asked for a thing that exists outside of JRPGs and we gave you that thing, and in return you whined that none of the things we gave you are JRPGs. Therefore we are insulting you with image macros as per Veeky Forums tradition.

Hardly. OP asked about a name for something he said 'only JRPGs' do. People pointed out that not only JRPGs did that. OP got all prissy about being wrong and tried to backpedal.

If I seem mad to you, that's probably because I don't really like liars or retards.

I was the dude here OP is definitely a whine goalposting moving faggot, but I don't think 40k is what he's talking about either. Star Wars kinda is, but with how much he's just "nuh-uh"ing, who can really tell.

I think both WoW and AoS are primarily fantasy but with a little bit of science fiction thrown in, and 40k is primarily science fiction with a little pseudo-fantasy, and none really have that many trappings of modern style. Even Faerun has things like guns, spaceships and the like, but those, while existing in the setting, are rather or extremely rare and it would be odd to call Faerun anything other than a fantasy setting, since the non-fantasy aspects are typically left out of the limelight.

But, if you simply disagree and prefer to say that WoW and 40k and Final Fantasy fall into the same genre, what name would you give to it? Just science fantasy or kitchen sink?

>Hardly. OP asked about a name for something he said 'only JRPGs' do

Read OP again.
And quit being so hostile and virulent. You're putting a ton of effort into shitposting, and I'm curious what is it that set you off.

>in that way that's popular in JRPGs and not really all that popular anywhere else?

You're right. He just implied it and then doubled down on his stupid when anyone suggested otherwise.

OP asked for tech alongside magic with both being viable and both being done primarily to look cool.

He-Man was quickly brought up, alongside WH40K (has magic and ridiculous designs), Star Wars (has magic and swords that rival firearms to the point of absurdity), and various 80's sci fi novels (I recall one where the story literally revolved around a mage transported to a modern world while a tech whiz was transported to a medieval fantasy land).

And then OP said that doesn't count because it's not Japanese. While this *is* a Mongolian Story Bead website, it's also the traditional games board, and we don't pick settings for weeb factor, we pick them for coolness.

I don't think giving counter-examples of legos says anything more than "it happens elsewhere" not really "it's more popular". And OP is probably getting nitpicky on the scale of science fiction with some fantasy vs fantasy with some sci-fi sliding scale. It's autistic, but no more than your own.

I'm not the one who brought up legos, because believe it or not, there's more than one person here who knows OP is a factor.

Which we seem to agree on, in spite of how hard you're working to defend him. He already got his answer anyway, like it or not.

>Hardly. OP asked about a name for something he said 'only JRPGs' do.

That's not what I said. I asked about a style of combining fantasy and science fiction that is done in JRPGs frequently (is popular in that genre) and is not done so frequently in other genres. Yes, science fiction and fantasy get mixed, but they rarely do so while also splicing in contemporary aesthetics or trying to present everything as an organically constructed world. It isn't unique to JRPGs and I never claimed it to be, so I don't really understand why you put so much focus in trying to bite off my head about saying it's popular in that genre.

Clarifying this isn't backpedaling, especially because you seem rather hostile from the onset to the point where you've misconstrued something by turning it into an absolute statement and even added quotes to a phrase I never said.

>a subdivision of kitchen sink, or something completely different since the JRPG-Style approach is rather distinct from simply throwing everything together like what ended up happening with the Marvel/DC universes?

This is the critical nail in OP's coffin, his last ditch attempt to make the thing he likes into "something different" because of some subjective opinion.

I guess I'm defending him because I kinda get where he's coming from, or at least I think I do. And I've got not a lot to do right now. I like the FF/jrpg style settings and having a better term than "kitchen sink" would be nice. I do think "Anime Fantasy" is a decent catch all for what he wants, and that the suggestions of other works were kinda too sci-fi and not fantasy enough. OP should have thought out what defined the genre more before asking about it. But who knows, I'm probably a faggot retard.

>And then OP said that doesn't count because it's not Japanese.

Where are you getting this? Can you point to where this was said?

You want people to tell you that JRPGs have a special superior category rather than being lumped together with things you don't know or care about.

This is a very good solution to the problem. Rifts is life

Counterpoint: a good number of 40k fans wouldn't want to have jrpgs in their category.

>Which is pretty much inherently a dumb and demonstrably wrong statement.
You haven't demonstrated how it's wrong. You've been spamming examples of things with magic and technology in them, ignoring what he's specifically asking for.

Lol no, it couldn't be more transparently obvious he (You?) just can't to admit to being stupid so he(you) are clinging to some vague ineffable qualifier to hide behind.

>that set isn't exactly one of the more popular or iconic ones
Fuck you man, CASTLE TANK, YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID!

The people who would complain about that are the ones who take 40k too seriously. 40k is the same category as He Man, LEGO, etc. The toy selling category. Those settings include whatever they want as long as it looks cool. Not to say there's nothing wrong with this though.

What? Read the full post please.

Marvel's and DC's universes are the result of a company combining disparate genres together, with characters written by different authors intended for different audiences, and throwing them all together. That is the very definition of "kitchen sink" in that it's "everything", with no real filter thanks to so many different authors throwing together so many different ideas and aesthetics. Many characters don't even seem like they fit in the same universe (with some science-fiction oriented characters having problems that could be solved by magical means but they remain unsolved, or mundane characters fighting with fists/swords/bows when guns are available), and no real explanation or even attempt to reconcile these concerns. Everything is just thrown together, and it's more of a result of the company's policy than the initiative of the authors, who don't really see any real way to reconcile so many contradictory rules. It's why the Marvel/DC movie universe's are distinct and separate from the greater comic's universe, and have much stricter rules.

That seems different enough from something like He-Man or Atlantis the Lost Empire, where we're not looking at a "true" kitchen sink, but a decisive mix of certain fantastical, futuristic, and historical/contemporary aesthetics with an organic and self-consistent rational behind the combination.

But, they might not be distinct enough, and may simply fall into "kitchen sink." It was a question, and not a statement, because I appreciate that it is somewhat subjective and "kitchen sink" may really be the best to describe it, but I wanted to leave it open since there might be a better term.

Fair enough.
>Everything is thrown together
such as
>some guy wearing modern/futuristic clothes wielding a sword, fighting alongside a beast person wearing stylized medieval armor with a gun, along with a cybersuit-wearing ninja with cat features and a sword gun, and they fight against robots, knights, dinosaurs, soldiers, and dragons
but with
>no real explanation or even attempt to reconcile these concerns.

Therefore lets lean more toward:

I get a strong sense that I'm just not going to get through to you.

Same.

>With some guy wearing modern/futuristic clothes wielding a sword, fighting alongside a beast person wearing stylized medieval armor with a gun, along with a cybersuit-wearing ninja with cat features and a sword gun, and they fight against robots, knights, dinosaurs, soldiers, and dragons?

The word you're looking for is "80's"

>I do think "Anime Fantasy" is a decent catch all for what he wants

This sort of works and sort of doesn't work. On one hand, I understand what you mean to a certain degree, but on the other hand, it's really a terribly inaccurate phrase, especially since fantasy anime has its own conventions.

>what defined the genre more before asking about it

The problem with any genre discussion is always that there's going to be mixes, blurred lines, and general disagreements in classification. Probably the best way to go about it may be to list examples of the "JRPG" style of kitchen sink, so we don't end up with these plucked chicken arguments.

>40k is the same category as He Man, LEGO, etc.

Except it's really not. It's primarily soft science fiction, which is a distinct genre, and it's fantasy trappings are few and far between and most are handwaved as actually being pseudo-scientific in origin in order to maintain that it's science fiction.

>Except it's really not.
No, it is, every pseudo-scientific explanation is just hand-waving so they can sell models of dudes with chainsaw swords...

It still falls deep in the territory of soft science fiction and not kitchen sink.

You could have just answered the question he asked, instead of acting like fucking child

Autism. Or he had to cook his own pizza rolls tonight.

It is kitchen sink.
Even GW admit it.

I did answer the question. Way earlier. You know what I got? Childish bawwing about how it wasn't the answer he wanted to hear.

Can you point to which post was you answering OP's question?

This infinite song and dance lol.

Oh, so you really have just been nonstop shitposting for no reason. Got it.

Preach.

Nexo Knights gets a pass as its explained that the high technology of the setting is actually pretty expensive when you're still working on a feudal system to produce it and the King is practically at the mercy of guilds-turned corperations as well as richer, non-advanced kingdoms in order to fund all his fancy technology in the first place. In spite of its emphasis on wi-fi digital technology, the actual internet in Castle theme is primitive because there aren't any other nations to connect it with so its mostly used as a stand-in for radio. Nobody really knows how to use the technology to its fullest ability because the last time a major war occured was when the Knighton was no different from the other Castle kingdoms, and is implied to be a descendent from the Lion's Crest. Therefore, it makes sense all the cool technology is being held by the knights while everyone else gets a sword or pike to work with. Think Tsarist Russia right before it collapsed: you had units of cavalrymen wearing chainmail wielding lances fighting alongside tanks.

Ski-Fantasy.

Is weeb a genre now?

The way most JRPG's treat it is fantasy with some tech aesthetic.
That's the basic formula. Take a fantasy world, and don't arbitrarily limit their technological development or fashion just because magic exists, and don't forget to magically enhance people's physicality so melee weapons remain useful.
It ends up just being fantasy, which we have a game series called Final Fantasy and not Final Kitchen Sink.

But, Luke uses guns. Light sabers are rarely used in the original trilogy, and are almost ceremonial. But, after completing his Jedi training, he uses it more often because when combined with his abilities, he can deflect oncoming blaster fire and doesn't have to worry about cover.

Likewise, Cloud used a gun when he was a grunt, before he got mako infused. With his ridiculous strength, the buster sword becomes a practical choice, serving as tactical shield while also allowing him to make direct use of his super human strength that easily outclasses even anti-tank rounds with his ordinary attacks, and full missile strikes with more serious attacks. It actually becomes a bit of a question why super-strong, magical warriors would use guns.

Unless they go full Harkonnen II like Seras Victoria.

>Is weeb a genre now?

Weeb's at least a better name than just calling everything "anime".

What is this genre?

Toybin?