Malifaux General

Cake Edition

Faction Stat Card Almanac:
mega.nz/#F!a8QBgCaD!mMN8jvLMuNKHA5G3nJ0FSg

>Books
Malifaux: mega.nz/#F!cg00BCoD!mDHocpgWP_hkkM3CpCBwrQ

Through the Breach: mega.nz/#F!Z9sVSYTS!U2J243KhVsUuOqAnsqTj4A

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models
Book 4 - New models
Book 5 - New models & Master upgrades

Through the Breach 2E - Core Rulebook

Discord voice chat for malifaux chat and memery: discord.gg/xWkuFRz

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives

Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules: themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/123837-gaining-grounds-2017/

Previous Thread: Have the wave five upgrades actually changed how you play the game?

Other urls found in this thread:

themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/120815-august-15th-app/?page=4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

wow, she is much worse than i expected at slicing.

I mean, she is blind.

This wave is going to be big for resers. Especially Nico.

>she is blind
suuuure

Nico sounds like so much fun now. I have never played Ressers, but I now really want to run a mindless zombie spam Nico crew to get my "Rise my minions" fix in.

Just for models, would Nico's box, Asura de Roten, the Carrion Emissary, and of course two boxes of mindless zombies be a good start?

Nah man, Hamli er I mean outcasts really received a boon this release.

I'm thinking I'm going to base Rotten differently, and use her for 2 more mindless zombies. I've got the old metal ones too. 8 might be enough. But I'll probably grab another box.

For Nico you probably want all the models, although most if the time you'll be summoning punks or necropunks. I think the new horse guys are going to be huge both as a summon and as a fielded model for extra early game mobility.

I will probably do the same when I got her, and replace the empty slots on her base with gravestones or something. The Kentaroi sound like tempting options, and I will probably use them to speed up an otherwise slow crew. I am kicking myself for not getting them when they were three to a box during the Gencon sale. I didn't expect them to actually have a deal on any of their models.

I'm thinking I'm going to base Rotten differently, and use her for 2 more mindless zombies. I've got the old metal ones too. 8 might be enough. But I'll probably grab another box.

For Nico you probably want all the models, although most if the time you'll be summoning punks or necropunks. I think the new horse guys are going to be huge both as a summon and as a fielded model for extra early game mobility.

Man, Marlow really is awesome in Broken Promises. It is fun to watch him try to unravel the quagmire required for playable factions to forever coexist.

added more models to Malifaux TTS as well as quick sheets. still WIP

I'm pretty thrilled with McMourning's new options too. Even beyond the upgrades, the Little Gasser is surprisingly great for him.

They're honestly great for the price, and they work well with dogs and poison stuff too.

Very true. He actually took a reasonable approach to the Arcanists. On that note Lucius was a smooth criminal in his brief appearance.

Also, was this Barbaros' first in-story appearance? I can't recall him actually appearing before.

I think so, unless it happened in Chronicles, I don't think we've seen him in the fluff.

He appeared in Crossroads, helping Lilith and Pandora chase down a guy.

I think "Freikorps-land", as Parker put it, feels a bit contrived as a story device to get the most disorganized faction into a more unified shape. But the chapter itself was pretty fun; Tara, Parker, and Leveticus kinda steal the show.

He had his background and bff friendship shown in chronicles

Seems to me like they are preparing for a new edition faction shakeup.
I'm betting on
>M&SU faction with some of the remnants of the arcanists like kaeris, collette, ironsides, maybe some others
>Mercenaryland
>Since nico fucked up all the ressurs at the ball ressurs split into "spooky ghost people" and "psychopaths"
>Spooky ghosts get JD, Pandora Molly, Kirai etc maybe hamelin or something
>Psychos get nico, seamus, raspy, dougie, sandeep, maybe hamelin or something
>Lillith leads a half neverborn half "nature" faction with Marcus, Zoraida, herself etc
>Titania leads new kind of neverborn faction
Not sure how thunders will reform though and gremlins would probably just change to become "bayou faction". Right now though Hoffman and Nellie are the only two guild masters with any actual fucks given about the guild, everyone else either hates the general, is out of a job or never had much of a connection to the guild anyway.

>Ironsides sells out the man working to end all prejudice including that against magic users in the entire world to cause a bunch of race riots in america
I didn't think ironsides was meant to be that dumb.

I'm cool with some more faction shifting, but I'm not sure what would make sense.

Other than Gremlins, I think ressers make the most sense as a faction. They might not be organized together, but they so get their power/inspiration from the grave spirit.

She is punched in the face, professionally. I'm not even mildly surprised when she acts dumb.

Kirai, Molly and Yan Lo pretty much explicitly work against the grave spirit or at least other ressurs. Nico wiped out "ressurs as a faction" at the ressur ball. Tara has no connection to the grave spirit either.

I think that gives Ramos' motives too much credit. Ramos is primarily out for Ramos' best interests

Ramos is working for his own interests. He doesn't give a shit about anybody else.

I don't think the grave spirit is overly concerned about it's followers killing each other.

Good point about Tara though.

After reading Broken Promises, I think this is the worst story line in four M2E Books.
Ramos acts like an idiot.
Lilith failed too easily.
McMourning left Guild away.
Parker would like to steal the Hanged.
ETC

Oh My Goodness, did I watch a Gremlin drama!?

When the branching path for mcmourning appeared I expected him to fly in the face of conventional morality and find a way to be both, justifying his behavior as a small price to pay for the medical insights that save ir improve lives. Hes no saint but hes hardly any more immoral than sonnia or lucius. The story would have ended better with dougie secretly sabotaging the ritual or better yet convincing the death marshals the ritual was going to do more harm than good.

Whats a good small shenlong list? Like 30 stonesish. Thinking shen, yu, obsidian oni, dawn serpent maybe?

Damn, the new artist in wave got all these units looking like garbage, bunch of fatties or weird jolly grins. Like people at wyrd have a santa fetish or something.

Samurai might work nicely, what with free Focus /Defensive.

I think that some of the decisions and motivations were dumb, but I did like everything else about the stories. I am glad that we had henchman like Angel Eyed and Toshiro make an appearance.

I really need to read these stories

I'm almost convinced that factions are going to become a LOT looser than they already are or go away entirely in the next edition. I'm not sure how removing factions would be handled though.

Karina resurrected Tara though and Karina is an OG necromancy, so she definitely has ties to the grave spirit, although looser than the other ressers.

>I'm not sure how removing factions would be handled though.
A lot of unit tags maybe.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, fat people and Tim Burton characters. I liked it when weird body shapes were saved for the truly creepy characters, like Sebastian and Mortimer.

The artist also managed to make gremlins look evil, pic related is not the way gremlins are supposed to be. Gremlins are supposed to look happy, excited, stupid and kind of cute - they're supposed to be fun! Not this angry goblin trash, save that for MTG or Warhammer.

The new artist just does not understand the aesthetic of m2e. It looks like fan art.

At the very least their established artists have been able to do decent stuff with some of the art in Book 5, and ToS. There is more original art overall rather than just dudes on the same recycles backgrounds, so it has its advantages. I feel like they shouldn't let the new lady design the entire range, as her art at least works for some gribblies. It's ironic that everything gets more cartoony, with the exception of the Gremlins who get less cartoony and more like scary monsters as you have pointed out.

Out of curiosity, would damage from blasts follow the same rules as the regular damage from an attack would? For example, if I had an attack that ignored armor, and it did a blast, would the damage from said blast ignore armor?

Yes.

First pictures of the official malifaux app.

themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/120815-august-15th-app/?page=4

>In progress shot already looks better than War Room 2
Neat. If it has all the stat cards then I am more than happy to switch from Crew Faux.

>The artist also managed to make gremlins look evil
Very true. It was almost shocking how little gassers turned out. I was expecting them to come out as too comical, instead of legitimately evil/threatening.

At least the models in your pick don't look so bad. They definitely look more evil-imp in that art work though. Since when have gremlins had glowing eyes?

I think the Little Gassers might be one of the very few models in the new wave that I like the art for, because the style owrks with the model.

I like it too. It just wasn't what I was thinking

I'm still not sure what they were thinking with Hamelin's upgrades. I get the sense he is someone's favorite.

Yeah, I've definitely go that impression too.
I think we've even discussed it before.

I personally like that McMourning had to choose. It's a more dynamic change than letting him have it both ways forever

Just realized Doug could take the Oxford Mages if he wanted, but is there a point without their upgrades?

Just had my first game against Nicodem using Colette. He sure can drown you in activations. Coryphees pretty good against all melee though.

Not really, I would say.
With the stacked Runes, plus Warding Runes, plus the magic armour, plus being cheaper, they are still only quite good in Arcanists.

They lean a bit too heavily on having other models push them around, otherwise they are slow as fuck, and 10" isn't incredible given the spread, even with decent triggers.

Real excited by Toni's new upgrades. Who do you guys like to take with her? Hand picked men choices?

Are these generals just a shill for toadpainter?

Never got in to Ironsides.
She seemed a little too "strong independent woman who don't need no man" for me to really care about her character.

I just like her on the board

Is anyone going to be taking Ying/Yang in the future? It seems like a good deal as Shenlong isn't hurting for upgrade slots, but I am not sure if he really wants to be switching them and giving them to Yu.

New artist can definitely draw monsters and undead, they just fall flat when they try to draw humans or gremlins.

I've had tons of fun with her using Captain + Rail Golem. Just the pressure given from the Rail Golem and Ironsides means the rest of your list can do what it wants to do.

For McCabe players, what is your general order of activation and where do you keep McCabe on the board? For me I try to activate anything holding an upgrade first, and then activate McCabe so he can hand out the upgrades again and reactivate someone. It works best when I can chain activate a dog immediately after him so my opponent can't respond to the dog saber charge. I am keeping him in the back (But within range for Promises). However I am not sure if it is a good idea to put him farther up and take advantage of In the Thick of it Misdirection if need be. I am just trying to figure out how to play him ideally.

To a great extent that is the problem with her. She only has one good story, the one where she fights that cold using arcanist gone rogue by teaming up with a witch hunter.
The Captain was originally envisioned as the master with Ironsides as the henchman, i guess they swapped it around for better representation but is it really better representation when she was so poorly developed?
I mean fuck this latest story actually made her worse as a character too, since it 100% confirmed her father died just due to being black, if they had said "because he was a magic user who was black" or something it could have really made her connection to the arcanists clearer.

Fancy posting an AAR?
Always interested in how folks beat Nico with non-killer crews.

He paints a bunch and he paints well.
I'm not going to go out of my way to crop out the logo if it takes half a model with it too.
Calm down.

I appreciate seeing painted models, even though you often seem to post the same ones. That's some nice NMM; and I need to learn to paint that sort of skin tone.

I will have definitely like the captain as a master. A relic hammer master would have been cool.

You could have a cool relic hammer list, and flush out more about their part in the setting.

Also: cool mustache

Explain how Malifaux does art for me.

I've always been impressed by the direct 2D to 3D comparison of the models and art since no other company in the market comes even close to their reproduction level.

Are the 3D modelers themselves the artists or are the 3D modelers just really good at copying?

Wrastlers look pretty fun.

Criers make sense being agitated and politically active, they ought to creep ya out.

They aren't active though. They actually have a rule where they turn into a regular bayou gremlin because they stop giving a shit or forget what they were supposed to yell.

They could have at least given ironsides the captains jetpack. Rocket powered flying punch!

I try and rotate, but I don't curate or track what I've posted all that closely.
I think the thread just looks nicer with images on the imageboard, you know?

Post desolation engines.

I don't think I can post anything resembling a battle report or such. Also I didn't win exactly, we had to call it after turn 4 and score was 5-5. I think he might have won with one point or so had the game gone all the way. It was my second game with Colette ever, so some mistakes was made. Mostly it came down to Ice Dancers being awesome and Centauri not being able to do shit against Coryphees.

> Centauri
Kentauroi I mean

I want to practice a "core" set of masters or even one master but I keep coming up with new combos I want to try like burying a desolation engine that rusty has given reactivate and dropping it into the opponents crew with tarra to rip shit up with two crazy activations healing itself to full.

Preference?

I am of the opinion that the plastic's head looks retarded, even though the pose is better.

Having said that, the face on the metal is pretty retarded too.

Plastic. Also its great, what are you on about? Pic related.

Coryphee are next in my queue after Samurai.

Just about gives me all the Showgirls, except the Ice Dancers - I didn't prioritise them because Colette can usually get the girls organised Turn 1, so the rapid runners didn't seem so important.

I started with Colette, and I think she's probably still my favourite Master.
How did you find her?

Who ever painted those minis must be a beginner cause it looks really bad !

>All those gaps
>No base work done
>"Highlights" are just a sloppy drybrush
More effort is needed.

>Gaps
I was agonising over whether or not to use that picture for exactly that reason.

Nothing fucks me off more that people putting nine hours into paintjobs on miniatures they spent four minutes building.
Shit, you could fill those gaps with a bit of excess polycement when building, you don't even need putty.

Strong and weak at the same time really. Prompt has amazing potential it feels like, but it's hard to activate her late to get the most out of it. I really liked the Doves and the "All Together Now", even thouhg I failed at summoning a dove twice. Lots of options though.

Not sure about her upgrades though. Besides Cabaret Choreography, I ran Shell Game and Arcane Reservoir which was a bit underwhelming, especially Shell Game did nothing. I want to try out Seize the Day next time and maybe Imbued Energies or just putting Practiced Productions on herself.

In vanilla schemes collete was considered tier 0, the best master in the game, with dreamer, levi and kirai trailing behind her. Now she has been nerfed and schemes have changed quite a bit but still i think she is pretty neat.

>Strong and weak at the same time really.
This is probably the most interesting part of Colette's style.

I had a buddy who played Colette, it seemed like half the games even with him winning, after being tabled.

Unfortunately both of them are pretty bad. I keep telling myself if I ever do Levi, I'm going to have to scratchbuild something. Engine should look like it's actually an aggregate monster made out of a bunch of aboms, shouldn't it? Something like the Zygote creature, but with some machine parts mixed in there.

Lot of work though, which is why I haven't got there yet.

I like both the models. I do agree that they seem to fall short of the concept.

Buy two boxes of abominations and actually combine them voltron style. Chainsaw arms coming off the open ribcage with the tiny snake tail instead of legs and knifeyes as the head.
Alternatively grab a university of transmortis box and use the snake tail from that with an abomination ribcage and a mixture of various weapon arms from the transmortis plus a bunch of heads.

I usually take Arcane Reservoir, Cabaret Choreography and A Lady's Secret.

With your free Stone suit per turn and a low Mask, you can drop two Showgirls onto a hired Dove 14" up the board Turn 1 before they activate.
That's Carlos and Cassandra holding the centre, or Cassandra with a 29" Charging threat range.
If you have the Masks, you could ping an Oiran up their to Lure people forward while blocking rush charge lanes.
If you want to set up the Prompt action for Turn 2, you can put Ms Du Bois herself up there, so you can spend all her AP doing work.

I fell out of using Shell Game, but it can be handy if you plan on relying on Doves a lot - that 4" place can up their buffing range an effective 5", which makes a big difference if they are Slow from being summoned.

I like that colorscheme.

The yellow and purple/blue is a really nice pairing.

That and it's well painted yellow, which still disproportionately impresses me to this day.

Damn, did not consider that. In general I forgot a lot of Colette's abilties - I spend AP on interacting all day long forgetting Rehearsed was a thing.

Disappearing Act seems really strong now that I think about it, gonna have to try that out some more.

I'm contemplating the possibilities of modding Colette's box into undead, so as to fit Seamus' thematic. Not sure how I'd want to go about it yet beyond painting flesh.

Shenlong tends to only take one upgrade and they're still not worth taking. That 1 SS can be anything from a bigger model, a Recalled Training or, y'know, an SS. Also Yu doesn't get them when they're discarded.

probably wouldn't be too difficult to drill and cut into them and then greenstuff organs or something of the sort.

Colette is more about the other tricks than she is about Prompt since the errata, doubly so with her new "Showgirls get free Focus" upgrade.

Disappearing Act is Minion or Showgirl, so you can do nasty things like Prompt a Dove to fly through the enemy crew to their support models, then drop one or two Rail Workers (or equivalent) on them.
If you use the A Lady's Secret trigger to not discard the Doves, then you can activate the Dove to give them +flips to damage or Df to make sure they get the job done.

Looking at the dead hookers we've got already, they'd look pretty normal with the right skin tone.

You could do some modelling, aging scars or wounds or bullet wholes but I'm not sure how much is needed.

Doing a thin cut on the back and painting it up like a shot throat+congealed blood might look cool.

Ugh the thought of collette dropping a razorspine rattler onto a scheme runner or something with that trick is irritating. Even if they manage to escape without taking wicked damage AND manage to avoid a charge angle it can just slither right back up next turn.
Speaking of which i should use the student of viscera more often. That slither has really come in handy for me and my meta has shifted towards living heavy crews...

4 more years!

I really hope we see him getting some Gremlin General upgrade.
Maybe even something that bunps him up to master level like:
>This model generates 1 additional ap when it activates
>Take this upgrade only if you take no master in your crew. This model counts as the crew's leader
Maybe some other stuff too.

>Captcha: LaCroix luarca

What's the consensus with Oirans with Colette? Just a more expensive and worse performer? Or is the WP aura decent in the right matchups, like pandora?

With Von Schill being Venom Snake now, I'm wondering if warmahordes style "Epic" masters are gonna get made.