EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Loot Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: In your opinion, how are Ixalan spoilers shaping up so far?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/p-u-r-e-c-o-n-t-r-o-l/
youtube.com/watch?v=bOQRB_Y0h5c
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for don't buy mana drain because sheldor will ban it because it's became more avalible

what does the two letters on the right side mean? NM, EX, etc?

Still need a virgin jace and chad Gideon

God I hate you all so much

what deck will make me feel like a female dominating all my opponents

MODS

MILF Teysa

Can I build Karador without spending a shit ton?

Yidris or Maelstrom Wanderer?

I've been leaning towards Yidris mostly cause of his access to black but I'm not sure.

My girl Rashmi.

Liliana, Heretical Healer.

Why not build yidris and then throw big daddy MW in there? Best of both worlds.

Dumb question: If I have a Helix Pinnacle out on my upkeep, and the trigger is on the stack, can I dump a huge amount of mana into tower counters and have it reach 100 to win the game as the trigger resolves?

Queen Marchesa

They have different and conflicting deck constructions.

>when you don't understand a meme

>literally the first ruling on the gatherer page

>Helix Pinnacle’s triggered ability has an “intervening ‘if’ clause.” That means (1) the ability won’t trigger at all unless Helix Pinnacle already has 100 or more tower counters on it as your upkeep begins, and (2) the ability will do nothing if Helix Pinnacle has lost enough counters such that it has fewer than 100 counters on it when the ability resolves.

I'm really digging it. Lots of fun stuff. Shattergang has been given lots of gifts. Treasure Drain is pretty sweet, as are the flip-lands.

>In your opinion, how are Ixalan spoilers shaping up so far?
Leaked rare sheet had a couple of nice cards such as Scuttle the Wreckage being mass-path and Boneyard Parley being reanimation-FoF.
The flip cards' initial reveal made me go "that's pretty cute but quite weak" but after seeing not!Maze of Ith and not!Gaea's Cradle with easily achievable flip conditions, I'm very hyped.

Envoy of Ghosts?

>Guy has Helix Pinnacle at 100 counters
>Hes a massive autist and is literally gloating about his impending win
>"It has shroud btw :^)"
>go to my turn
>set up a Blood Artist+Zulaport Drain with Sac Outlet and a ton of tokens
>pass the turn to him on his upkeep in response to the trigger i drain him for lethal
The salt was fucking palpable

>chaining shitloads of cards with Recycle, Aluren and Seton's ability

This deck is rad as fuck, holy shit

Reminder that Recycle triggers on lands too.

>Thread Question: In your opinion, how are Ixalan spoilers shaping up so far?

Really liking the set so far. Great flavor and surprisingly good cards (for EDH at least).

Halp

Quest for the gemblades or vorapede for Skullbriar?

>Thread Question: In your opinion, how are Ixalan spoilers shaping up so far?
i like the set a lot from a limited perspective. and there a select few cards that will slot nicely into my edh decks. i imagine the dino cradle will be pretty popular.

Quest. 2 mana Boom Veggies.

Quest for the Gemblades has more synergy with Skullbriar.

Thanks.

Scarab or Taigam for Dimir control fun?

Anyone else try building g a competitive Sedris list? I want to be using Unearth to fuel degeneracy (ATM just going off with Deadeye/Palinchron and etb triggers, with Gary as the final kill), and not just use him for the colors because there are way better Grixis commanders out there. I just love the design of Sedris and want him to be worthwhile.

Which commander should I build for spellslinging? Mizzix, Arjun, Kess, or Kruphix?

go Kess, can't go wrong with double spells

Alright. Should I go cantrips and DD, High Tide/Storm, hard control with a "slowly beat face with flying waifu" wincon, or a mix of all three? Also, is Tainted Aether worth playing?

Arjun

go full storm, also run only spells except for creatures that help you cast spells for cheaper and also young pyro but the rest should be spells

Hero of Bladehold or Grave Titan for a creature that makes tokens on attack? Or both?
Or neither if there's a better choice?
Right now I feel like Grave Titan is better all-around outside of the cost, and I doubt the boost in power Bladehold gives will make a difference that often.

Commander?
But the answer is more than likely hero

What kind of utility lands would you run for riku?

Get both.

I might build Arjun on the side.

So for creatures I should only bring Goblin Electromancer, Nightscape Familiar, and Baral? And then also Young Pyromancer and maybe Guttersnipe, right? With that creature base, I'd say I could probably work in Tainted Aether, Overburden, and maybe Shivan Harvest.

you got the right idea going mate, many ppl just shove in a lot of spells and ignore that they have to deal with a board, remember that when dekbuilding

grave titan is the better card, especially in edh

Most people I face love going wide, so I try to work in some anti-creature stax before building on my wincon in pretty much every deck that isn't full jank.

ramp :^)

MODS CANT BAN ME HAHAHA

Scarab is fugged up. Go taigam.

Jori-En

[handrubbing intensifies]

Jori En is fun, too. Might go for a tempo list with her.

why would you play things like opalescence or starfield of nyx?

doesn't the risk of getting BTFO outweigh having a bunch of creatures?

>safe games are better than swingy games
Nah son.

Parallax Wave combos + beatdown with enchantments

but my enchantments are things that help facilitate swinging like collective blessing or true conviction

I don't care if my tokens die, but I want them to be HUGE

>In your opinion, how are Ixalan spoilers shaping up so far?
its going to be one of those sets where its going to seem like shit now then people are going to get all rose tinted glasses about it in about 2 years
cause its a shitty but cool set

Then it's the wrong deck for Opalescence and Starfield of Nyx, ya dingus

gimee a deck that can handle Wort ramping to 6 mana turn 2 and a guy who plays tutors, tooth n nail, deadeye, palincron win

>Scarab is fugged up
in what way?

Dralnu or Kess DD Turbo
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV Stax
Patron of the Moon Stax
Shattergang Brothers Stax
Marisil Turbo (dump Sage of Hours + Phyrexian Devourer + Quickilver Elemental with filter draws, tutors, and Buried Alive, flicker Marisil a couple times, take infinite turns and win however you want)
Animar Storm (Cast Animar, get some counters on him with utility creatures, cast Ancestral Statue for free an arbitrary number of times; either swing with a large/large Animar for game, or drop a Storm card with however many copies you want)

anyone wanna take a look at this and help me make edits?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/p-u-r-e-c-o-n-t-r-o-l/

im thinking about dropping scour from existance but I dunno what to add might want another early counterspell for more early plays

might go with a mana leak

This is the most underrated post I've seen all year.

Aven Mindcensor might be worth running. Maybe Mana Tithe or Lapse of Certainty?

Unless you have a player in your meta that runs Iona-Lock outs scour is not worth it.

As for white counterspells. I run both in Queen Marchesa long may she reign! mostly because I have no other option than forking some one's counterspell in response. Mana Tithe is super situational. But there really is nothing like countering a turn one sol ring or stopping a lethal exsanguinate/fireball by making them pay 1. The salt that Mana Tithe sows is unbeatable. Lapse of Certainty good for surprises and rallying the table into stopping some one from winning but it does not do much in colors that have better options. If tutors are a problem then Leonin Arbiter/Aven Mind Censor is the way to go. I don't really do hard control through and the last time I played against it was Inn-RTR and RTR-THR standard. So I want to tell you put in a creature wincon like Aetherling but that is probably bad advise. Or switch the decks head out for new taigum and get double duty on the spells. Or put in Baral to get more umph out of your counterspells.

Forgot about maybe putting in Tarland the Sky Summoner.

Is the commander a pet card? It really doenst do much, there are alot of decent UW commanders if you wabyed to stay in those colors, grand arbiter does pretty much everything you want

Can't jerk it to Augustin.

I dont want aven since hes a perm and I dont want to run anything that im just going to end up getting wrathd away same with talrand

as youre saying this deck is based on the RTR-THR cleansing control that won with mutavaults and elixir in the same way

also if im looking at a card to put it on top blue has better options than the white card, taigum is just another creature thats going to lose me land pressure and get wrathd away, the reason lavinia is the commander is cause she has an etb effect that serves as a spell that saves me a turn, there is no commander that would be better in this deck specifically at the moment because of that

like I said grand arbiter is just going to be wrathed away and there isnt really a point in the game where I want to tap to get him out
lavinia keeps me alive for a turn against things like elves

think ima just drop scour for muddle the mixture

If you're building Azorius control, you want an Augustin in the command zone. Also you're in blue, just counter the fucking Wrath and then Rift everyone's shit.

counter my own wrath?

thats the dumbest thing ive heard today

I want to run this in a proliferate deck

>one of those sets
What would be some other examples in your opinion?

YOUR Wrath, OK, I thought it was someone else's.

Still, control like this is tough in EDH, seeing as you need a 1-for-1 with every threatening spell, and that's against 3 other players. You'll run out of a hand pretty quick.

Xavier...

A man of great taste I see.

i make wurm

are you dumb enough to answer a rhetorical question?

Not that guy, but the premier example is probably Kamigawa. It was absolutely shit to play, but now it has so many "fans" that only really experienced it through EDH and the flavor always asking when Return to Kamigawa is.

We really need a legendary Wurm.

I may also be willing to accept a Wurm Planeswalker. Wurmwalker? The Wurm That Walks?

Who is decorating wurms?

On a similar tangent, when are we going back to Jamuraa?

Come on, Wizards, it's full of black people.

What's the best commander for Enchantress? I wanna use the best card type in the game.

threat?

Jamuraa is just part of Dominaria, so maybe we'll see a bit of it.

thats what the cleanses are for, same with lavinia who holds the entire field

which is why shes much better than augistine

>Desert set
>No Shai-Hulud homage

Rude.

youtube.com/watch?v=bOQRB_Y0h5c

I've been having fun with derevi, I use her to untap lands I've enchanted with Utopia Sprawl and the like, although I will say about 80% of games I don't use her. I just really like bant for enchantress and there's not really a commander that suits the strategy perfectly

There's also Uril who can do enchantress with auras, draw a million cards and suit him up to swing for millions. I'm not into voltron personally but I've played this deck before and it's fun to draw lots of cards and have a 25/25 double strike lifelink pro creatures in play

Abzan doesn't have an enchantress commander per se but I could see Ghave working since a lot of the best cards that combo with him are enchantments

For pure GW, Karametra is popular because she's an enchantment herself, I'm not crazy about her though because you need a pretty high creature count for her ability to be useful, and I like my enchantress decks to be more controlling rather than playing a bunch of creatures.

There's also sigarda who works like Uril, more protection less power. And I've also seen captain sisay used, mainly to tutor Serra's Sanctum and nykthos every game

I don't recommend playing enchantress without both green and white, some people like playing BW daxos but he seems like dogshit to me. I've also seen people try bruna or Hanna, which are a little bit better commanders but not really enchantress in my opinion, because you need green

Green is actually more important for enchantress than white I think, I could potentially see a UG or BG enchantress deck working, for instance rashmi would be fine though you wouldn't be maximizing rashmi's potential (she likes to have a high number of instants)

>want to play artifacts
>want to play B/x (hard two color limit)
>want to play theft
>want to kill any creatures I own/don't own

who would you guys recommend

Olivia

Glissa?

>tfw dying from my own commander 3 games in a row
>died with over 60 life

Do you play Karona? The fuck are you doin'?

W/U has access to the best instants for temporary, EoT exile
Running wraths with GAA IV is a cinch

>Lavinia is much better than Augustine

She's really not, not even close, but they are different decks. If you want to flicker Lavinia a bunch that's cool, do your thang.

karl. both games got him to 30+ counters and had either laxodon warhammer or my enemy had unblockable

so I have to drop better cards just to get cute with eot exile cards so I can play a commander that doesnt actually save me from a swing and instead makes me lose untapped land pressure just to cast him

I dont want to flicker lavinia, in THIS deck shes better than augustine because this is a straight control deck that doesnt use perms

in this deck there isnt a SINGLE moment I would ever want to play augustine unless I have zero cards in hand, and if I have zero cards in hand Ive fucked up so hard I deserve to lose that game

No nigger. You keep a better commander on the field and tax out the table while you enjoy a continued cost reduction on all of your spells without fear of losi g your commander.

>asks for help
>people help
>but I dont want that help, I want help that agrees with me, no bully pls
K den

Wht wouldnt you just exile him your self in response to getting stolen?

WHEN would I EVER play him???

turn 4 when I can and let the table have free reign over the fact that I have no mana for counters

or lategame when the entire table doesnt give a shit about some extra mana lost or gained?

hes fucking useless in this deck because this isnt stax, I dont WANT any non-land perms in play EVER, and if I ever have to cast lavinia its a last resort because there should be other wipes in my hand
if the enemy has a lethal swing on their next turn and I have nothing in hand I can use lavinia to get me another turn at life, if I had augustine instead Id just be dead to that

there is zero reason to run any creatures in this deck, and lavinia is a pseudo-creature, basically shes a reusable mass detain spell who sides as a 4/4 pro red

>ask for help on specific shit
>get given stupid changes

maybe I shouldnt expect much from /edhg/ timmys, that was my b