Why is this games art style so cozy?

Why is this games art style so cozy?

Also, warhammer fantasy art thread

Trying to find a better version of this.

Because it looks like the 5th edition, the comfiest edition art wise.

>tfw you got into wargaming after 8th died.
I feel like I could have had so much fun in the earlier editions.

I still have fun playing 8th edition. If you can't find games for that, you'll probable have more luck with Kings of War or 9th Age.
Try to find some local clubs.

ALLAHU RATBAR!

Bretonnian art is great.

6th ed was.... just such a time to be alive

When was that?

Oh man, that pic takes me back. I put it as the wallpaper on every computer in my house back in middle school.

2003-2005

Way before my time, then.

Not all of these are in full HD resolutions, I'm afraid, but I've endeavoured to find the best that I can.

I always loved that grots are a force to be reckoned with in fantasy.

Got one for High Elves?

I only got in to it around the time that 8th ogres came out. It was short but sweet

You don't actually HAVE to move to the next edition.

Even end times had cool shit. I love the lore and concept of the glottkin

I do indeed, although I think this one is 8e. Could be wrong.

very nice quality, thanks. But I meant the previous edition.

Where do you get these?

not as high quality as the others

Fuck you! You know how long it took me to find that!?

Fine, have a smaller one. Ungrateful shit.

I've always liked this pic from the 6th edition rulebook, but I can't find it in better resolution.

You're welcome.

Thank you, user.

KILL THEM

RAISE THEM

They really aren't, not more than some anecdotic powerful tribes like in 40k. Most are still under orc yoke. They're just not completely ignored in the tabletop game like in 40k.

I love WH:F art but hate 40K art and style, it feels like 40K art design is have some 6 year old draw shit then have an actual artist try to save it.

I know exactly what you mean.

I blame people sucking off Blanche too hard as some kinda genius.

>not claiming your John Blanche waifu

the old stuff always reminds me of this stuff

Blanche haters OUT

Most of the stuff he does just looks like he made a sketch and then wiped his diarrhea ass with it. A few gems doesn't excuse that.

Wow, that art, warhammer really did copy old warcraft

I find this mixed art style to be pretty fucking jarring.

Even his sketchy stuff has a great imagination behind it.
He's not a bad draughtsman when he puts his mind to it, but that's not his strong point. He defined the imagery of Warhammer and 40k.

I really like some of the 40k art, especially a few odd pieces of Black Legion marines, some of the art of Armageddon and Yarrick, and pic related. It can get a surprising level of detail, but also interestingly contrast the 'gritty realism' of dirty tanks and ugly guns with the odd beauty of various decorations and colorschemes.

wow they even copied the NAGA from warcraft 3 holy fuck thank god i told my friend i didn't want to get into this shill unoriginal crap last week

He said once in a White Dwarf article that he actually kept going with a really sketchy style because it kept his art from becoming stiff and monopose. He liked his sketchy works for being dynamic and exciting, and I can respect that even if they end up looking blurry.

Mm, I can respect that, but personally I prefer the other guy's art, like this. Got a style to it that I've not seen anywhere else, and which I really like.

Blanche's stuff I often struggle to figure out what's actually going on.

I got into warhammer during 6th.

I'm still playing 6th.

Is that a dwarf riding a boar?

Weak bait, friend.

On the off chance that was genuine: Warcraft started out as a licensed Warhammer game. Blizzard lost the license, changed the name, and made it anyway.

Starcraft started out as Space Marines vs. Eldar vs. Tyranids in 40k.

Quite possibly. Boars are used as mounts in the Badlands. Usually by orcs, but there are Dwarfs in the Badlands fighting them, who might use them sometimes as well.

Frankly I don't like the tanks nor the guns since they look so retarded, like a 6 year drew them (blocky shit things) then an actual artist tried to save it.

I find them a little charming in that cheesy way - they aren't trying to be realistic or tacticool, it has a sense of either the super-futuristic or just playfully outside of the what we consider fitting. Like a dumb action movie or an 80s cartoon. For me that's a breath of fresh air.

nice joke, everyone knows the first warhammer game was bloodbowl and it came a few months after warcraft one

It didn't actually start out as a licensed game but rather just a game that was inspired by Warhammer so the Co-founder of blizzard wanted to get a license to ride the Warhammer name but the rest of the crew didn't really want that since they had bad experiences with previous licensed games they had made.

Yes they were inspired by Warhammer much like GW was inspired by Dune and various other Sci-Fi stories when making 40k

The Co-founder still tried to get a license but coulden't so they made sure the art style was made even further from Warhammer so they could make their own style.

>That hat

From the thumbnail, I thought it was another drawing of The Knight, but extremely detailed.

>Kjarl
>K-jarl
>Jarl of Korea.
Korea confirmed as rightful swedish clay.

The background and concept for the Glottkin was really nice but the storyline about them was really rotten imo.

Holy fuck that dinosaur. 10/10

>grots

Fuck off.

Homie, if you are going to troll at least read the post.

>really rotten
Isn't that the point?

There was a picture with the filename 'free guild vs. orruks' that made me sad. Especially when the art is obviously far older than AoS.

Yeah also just realised got posted earlier as "river trogs".