astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=l60MnDJklnM
astranauta.github.io/crcalculator.html#0,1,13,1,3,false,Medium,1,10,false,0,false,0,traits:undefined
astranauta.github.io/bestiary.html#Fire Elemental
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you're not using alignment you're not playing D&D.

Eberron for best setting.

tfw terrible roleplayer

>no question
What classes do you think best fit the Gith mechanically?

captcha: ISIS Plazas

>Speaking with authority

Where do you think you are motherfucker?

Reminder that having a living family is asking for an awful edgy DM wankfest.

Strength int and int wis classes, duh.

Ask a real question.

What if I like edgy

Someone who is baiting and you are subsequently responding to.
Of the two of you, he is the bigger dick but you are by far the bigger idiot.

Say what?

Now we're up against an anime tittymonster.

He's right, you know.

Magitech is best.

You realize you brought this on yourself, right?

I mean, they're robots, so probably STR or INT classes.

Ohh man you definitely are right. As a gun toting penguin I sure was being serious but you showed me the way! Man was I stupid!

Yeah, but I gotta see it until the end. I'm starting to enjoy this trainwreck.

I kind of love the Kenku's token for this, because everyone else looks so fucking serious and meanwhile he's just "What the fuck am I doing here"; something we would all ask ourselves while up against anime titty monster.

>players think they can just "check for traps" with a single roll and no critical thinking whatsoever

>players feel like they need to check the floor, the window, the rug, the door, the ceiling, etc. for traps individually to know they're safe

How do I condition my players, and design dungeons myself, to find some sort of happy medium that makes checking for traps require thought without making it too obtuse?

>the faint edge of a token resembling Raven from Teen Titans

Dude that's what I'm saying. I love that kenku token and I want the full pic.

Wait, what? How are they robots?

He's more like "KRA KRA COW COW AAAA" in the voice call

You better seduce that blue bird

Can your DM not even fucking align his maps to the grid? JFC.

So when do you think your breaking point is going to be? Or at least when you go into give-no-fucks mode and go "I'm gonna splatter her tit with my mace/warhammer"?

Why not just design traps that can still be meaningful/dangerous even if they are noticed? It could be hard to disarm or get around even if the party does know where it is.

I wanna make a chill, surfer fire genasi hermit who lives on a volcanic island in fantasy Hawaii, maybe with a marine iguana familiar/companion. Specialization in fire spells.

Druid, ranger, sorcerer, or something else?

I have never had a GM go more than 10 sessions without killing someone's family member.

How many magic items is too much for a fifth level party?
I'm converting an old module to 5e and there's a shitload of magic items.

They were made by the Quarians, who they drove into exile

>the faint edge of a token resembling Raven from Teen Titans
That looks more like one of the player's Roll20 avatars that show up on the bottom of the screen unless your DM is smart and sets it to "names only" so they don't cover up so much of the map.

>WoTC's definition of CE
That's why you use TSR's definiton before everything went full retard.

Disney Princess tier

Definitely Bard.

oh fuck, that makes a hell of a lot more sense. I forgot those appear because I personally set it to names only in the top corner.

>oh cool gith!
>they're shit

Quarians? Is this some alternate setting or something?

I think he's joking about gith vs geth.

Oooh that.
That is a good point.

I've killed off family members of PCs though I try to restrain myself. I didn't mean to kill off the cleric's surrogate father but he went and got himself killed by a wight and the poor elderly man used up the last of his strength to cast the ressurection spell.
(I also killed off the ranger's identical-cousin at the hands of a vengeful white dragon the party caused trouble for in order to set up a "you're supposed to be dead" running gag)

Has anyone played as a character whose background was so mundane that it was abnormal? I thought it would be interesting to play a nameless rank and file town guard with a living family. Maybe he gets jealous of all the adventurers passing through and decides to try it for himself.

This is good advice. I was in a game a few days ago where basically all of the traps were slow burns. Rooms that begin to flood, alarm bells going off, simply being sealed inside with no visible way out. Finding the trigger is simple, but once triggered you need to use your head to get out.

I suggest Sorcerer just so you can make the biggest booms. Plus fire dragon blood for even more fire.

Be the chill dude who parties HOT.

I'm gonna read a dictionary to him so he can speak everything. Maybe I'll pray for his soul or something like that.

>"I'm gonna splatter her tit with my mace/warhammer"? I'll do this in my next attack, thanks senpai.
I've talked to the others players and if I die I'll roll a monster race as well and we'll murderhobo around.
But the session ended now. We'll keep going next monday. I'll post screenshots again next time.
Good night, senpai.

>Githyanki
Str/Int lends itself best to Eldritch Knight or Muscle Wizard, and Str/Cha is best for Paladins, Bladelocks, and Stone Sorcerers

>Githzerai
Super good for Monks and Druids due to the AC bonus. Wis/Cha is also pretty good for Bards, Clerics, Sorcerers and Warlocks, most of whom also benefit from the AC bonus.

My jokes are not very funny

In case anyone else was curious. AD&D was before my time.

Noooooo, nigga. You posted the PHB ones, those are dogshit. Use the DMG ones.

That's what I was initially thinking (maybe even a Stone Sorcerer though, combine fire/earth for lava yknow?) but Bard has potential, too. I was even thinking Valor Bard.

Speaking as a GM, I may eventually use family members as threats against the PCs for intimidation tactics, but that's only when I have smart villains in play, not your rank and file, "I'm a bandit/thug/soldier abusing the poor folk because I know how to use a sword."

The only time I used it was having the BBEG kill the PC's mother when she was in childbirth with the PC, because the PC's father was a bright-noble hero and wanted to throw him into a pit of despair, both literally and figuratively.The PC thought he was an orphan, only thinking his father was a worthless piece of shit who abandoned his mother when she got pregnant with him and wasn't there for her to try and save her during childbirth.

>party encounters an undead Mage Eater
mummy I don't want to be in the shadowfell anymore

I liked it, user.

Wait, Randian heroes are CE.

was meant for

>Wait, Randian heroes are CE.
Exactly. Now you can be CE without being blood for the blood god. Go forth.

That's an excellent description. Sets characters up as social Darwinist rather than juvenile delinquents. You could easily roll an adventurer that doesn't lolsorandumb all over the campaign.

Just a dude chilling with a ukulele on an island with his pet iguana? Sounds comfy as fuck. Bard list doesn't get any real fire spells, though, so you don't get any until Magical Secrets at level 10, and then only if you go Lore bard.

Technically he posted the 2nd Edition ones. These are the 1st edition PHB ones.

>randumb used completely unironically

>tfw birthday today
>tfw dad meets me at FLGS
>offers to buy me something
>I think of the treasure nest and how much i wanted it
>end up picking out some gay-ass 5e books instead cause 10 dollars felt like a waste of money for a dice bag
>on the way home i imagine it, alone on the shelf
>start to feel bad like i abandoned it
>think of how lonely it would be if it had feelings
>start to think about how the world is such a fucked up uncaring place
>actually feel like crying
>end up almost running a red light thinking about this
>go to dinner with family
>open another present
>go to sleep thinking about the treasure nest

It won't be long, Veeky Forums, I know I am going to give in soon. I am the guy who always gets the shelter cat and picks the most fucked up one to nurse and care for. I don't know what is mentally wrong with me but every time I see or think of the treasure nest I get this pang of guilt. I know this seems like a troll but it is really bothering me a lot, I feel really fucked up inside.

Are there rules on researching spells?

Like if you're a wizard, can you spend downtime to learn a spell if you don't have access to it via a scroll or another spellbook?

>the world is such a fucked up uncaring place
>how lonely it would be
>dice bag
fucking lol you faggot

>I am the guy who always gets the shelter cat and picks the most fucked up one to nurse and care for
>I don't know what is mentally wrong with me
I know exactly what the problem is.

Nothing official or in UA

I am going to start filtering posts with the words "treasure nest" in them
Either you're crazy or just pretending but I don't wanna hear about it

youtube.com/watch?v=l60MnDJklnM

>Learning Spells of 1st Level and Higher
>Each time you gain a w izard level, you can add two wizard spells o f your choice to your spellbook. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots, as shown on the Wizard table.

>Eladrin get a free Misty Step on short rest recharge

Nice desu

That's not what he's asking and you know it

baka desu senpai

I love how there's no explanation for how this works. You just wake up with new spells.

He's asking for free shit and I'm showing him the only time he gets free shit.

Barbarian Helf with Elven Accuracy and some levels in Champion Fighter - is this the best crit fishing build?

stop spamming this shit smdh tbqh family

Finally finished tales of the yawning portal and now I own tomb of annihilation. Wizards needs to stop coming out with book so damn fast I can't read that fast god goddamnit...I got CoC gathering dust on my shelf fuck...

What is it?

Dude I'm not crazy I just have a mental issue, I don't understand it.

That's why I'm asking you guys for help. Please.

?

Really old editions had rules for researching spells, but that was mostly because there was no "automatic" spell learning. You needed to either research it (researching cost money and downtime, and you couldn't do it on very early levels) or copy it from elsewhere.

In 5e, the ability to learn spells from books etc. is still there, but only as a drop in the bucket of wizard OPness

>That's why I'm asking you guys for help

anything past the original line was shit

Any chance you could scan it? I could make it into a readable pdf, you know :)

Assuming everything is Forgotten Realms core. Mystra just shits the spells in your head.

Are traps inherently more fun than combat?

It's so easy to munchkin your way through combat but the trap is simply the trap.

Not in 5e

>Are traps inherently more fun than combat?
kinda depends on who the trap is.

In 5e the spells you learn when you level up are the spells you spent time researching on your own.

Huh, neat. Well, there ya go.

Not to mention absolutely nothing prevents you from roleplaying getting new spells. For example for a paladin you could spend time in meditation/praxer or have your conviction/connection to diety improved as a result of an ordeal or event. Sorcerers might manifest more of their power, and so on.

>spend 99 years studying magic
>stuck at level 1

>kill a couple rats, and drop a boulder on a troll's head
>become a magical savant

That's one way of explaining the feature, and works perfectly well as fluff, but the practical reason is so the wizard gets his choice of spells when he was expected to do so by the designers

Welcome to Doorways and Doggos!

DMG says they should have like one uncommon item per player

but fuck that, give them all the goofy shit you want

Or, more realistically

>spend 10 years studying magic, be a level 5 wizard

>spend 6 months studying magic while also being forced to protect yourself with it and test in practical real life situations, be a level 5 wizard

It's all relative. You could give them 54698395687309485 magic items but as long as everyone is having fun who cares? Make sure certain players arent getting too big of a power advantage over each other and it should work out.

>magical savant
>level 2

If you spent 99 years studying magic and didn't even get enough exp from that to hit level 2, then obviously you're not a very smart (good) wizard. Meanwhile, perhaps killing the rats gave you an intellectual break through about the nature of the multiverse.

>but
The practical reason does not counter or contradict the explanation.

It's worth noting that spellbooks and scrolls are not the only way to learn spells besides leveling.

I've asked once in the last thread, which didn't get answered, and once here. So either contribute to the fucking thread or don't give me more (You)'s than I need.

Are three fire elementals a fair challenge for a level 6 party? The casters in my group mostly have fire damage spells. It's 3 casters (2 wizards and a life cleric), a paladin, a sun soul monk, and a battlemaster fighter.

Rate my loot pile that's been accumulated over multiple encounters worth of loot credit. There's no gold (rust monsters), so I bought them more magic items instead (because rust monsters don't eat those)
Figurine of Wondrous Power (Marble Elephant)
Bracers of Defense
Gauntlets of Ogre Power
Berserker Axe
Animated shield (sentient)
Immovable Rod
Circlet of Blasting
Potion of Waterbreathing
Helm of comprehend languages.
Potion of healing (2)

Forgot to say they're level 5

>write stupid backstory
>write yourself as 99 for no reason
>be an idiot

I bring you this:

astranauta.github.io/crcalculator.html#0,1,13,1,3,false,Medium,1,10,false,0,false,0,traits:undefined

And this:

astranauta.github.io/bestiary.html#Fire Elemental

I think you'd be fine with them. 300hp between the lot, doing 10 damage per attack that hits, with an AC of 13. They're gonna do well enough on dex saves though. Also don't forget to use fire form.

rip campaign, players are now invincible.

>The practical reason does not counter or contradict the explanation.
It does when using common sense would cause you to go against the intended design. Let's say the players level up after a cliffhanger, or that there hasn't been any offscreen time for the wizard to actually research anything for several sessions. Would you tell them "sorry mang no new spells until the group has downtime"? Because that'd be a somewhat reasonable RULING, but not something you're expected or intended to do