/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: →
>Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/the-labor-party-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
Which Touchstones are the best? Most stable? Most fun?
>5th edition cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

Wow, that's embarrassing.

Previous thread:

So I guess in order for a praxes to be better than a rote you would need to be a master in the arcanum of the spell. Praxes are better because of the 3 successes for a Exceptional right?

Praxis are for stuff that you cast often and can cast easily, rotes are best for spells you need extra reach for and access to a hopefully decent mudras yantra.

Pick a 1 dot spell for a praxis so you can spam it for ES and regain mana or get arcana beats.

>Can two mages who different arcana join together to create a new spell or make an adjunct spell (like spirit shield with death) or is that a no go?

You were told to read the book....

But no, mages can work together to cast a spell but must have at least 1 dot in the arcana to cast the spell and it works like a nromal Teamwork action, ie giving extra dice to the group leader.

The Mage Errata says that rote mudras can't go above five dice, even if a gnosis 6 mage raises the skill to six dot. Does that also apply to order skills, so that an Arrow with Athletics 4 gets the same dice as an Arrow with Athletics 4?

Yantra TOTAL bonus it cant go above +5 total AFTER any penalties, indiv yantras can be over +5

>told to read the book
English isn't me natieve langedge fren.

One wonders if the +5 cap includes the order rote bonus dice, it says skill up to +5 then a extra 1 dice for order rote skill.

Is there a book about supernal beings/spirits? Like Book of Spirits

Summoners book describes 2 supernal beings per path.

I'm talking specifically about this Errata note:

Mudra Yantras cap at +5 each. It's still possible to, say, give yourself Athletics 5 with one spell before casting an Athletics-based rote for maximum effect, or buy a superhuman skill with a Gnosis above 5, but it won't benefit rotes.

Any new news on Hunter? Been out of the loop for about three weeks

So, a while back an user asked for an Obrimos Death Legacy. Dear user, this is dedicated to you. I decided to play a bit with the Attainment fluff. Take and use of this whatever you see fit. My commentaries are in blue, to try and elaborate on some of the stuff.

May Gate-chan forgive me for speaking ill of her realm. I didn't mean it, I swear.

Now we need a Mastigos Matter Legacy of Caydes to satisfy the other user.

So someone finds a location with an Avernian Gate. Are there any sure fire ways for anyone to open them, or are you stuck hunting for references in occult texts or hoping you stumble on someone with the ability to force one open before you can walk into the underworld?

Three weeks is about an hour when you compare WW release cycles to any normal company's.

Here's looking at you, Deviant

What are you talking about user. W20 and the Jihad Diary are right on schedule! And we'll get Signs of Sorcery any day now.

Hello, I guess this is kindaoff-topic right now but for our VtM Game I need the Book of the Wyrm and the Book for Werewolves/Garou as Player Characters in general.

If anyone can give me links to download those as PDFs or maybe just to read them I would be very grateful, If this is possible at all.

See the pastebin.

I don't see this legacy being even remotely playable during any kind of real game. As it is it's just nice fluff.

Oh absolutely. And Deviant'll be out tomorrow

It's an interesting concept, but some of this is totally bonkers. Just nonsensical. No Vice? No risk of Paradox? I don't even know what the Attainments even do. And needing Resolve and Composure 5 to even be initiated? To be an initiate? What?

I agree that it's too much fluff and not enough substantial rules, but I think the side effect of your Oneiros turning into an emanation realm is pretty cool.

Death arcana can open it, not at my books but prob 2 or 3, giests also prob have ways to open em

Yes. You totally can.

Death 3 to open an avernian gate. It's arcana 3 to open 'iris' phenomena.

All gates have keys it's just that most supernaturals have an alternate way of forcing open a gate in the event that the key is too much of pain in the ass to deal with.

What are the best arcana for slaveholder and slavers?

Mind, matter and life

That'll be relevant in the pirate Dark Eras.

Nah, the Mage part will probably be about Mage shit, not pirate shit.

What could conceivably represent a threat for all Mages ? Something that would either threaten to kill them all without damaging sleepers too much, or outright strip them of their powers ?

>implying the Mysterium won't be sailing the seas and diving down to the depths to search for ruins and artifacts, or stealing artifacts from others
>implying the Arrow won't be involved in Sleeper conflicts and otherwise striving for conflict
>which in the Golden Age of Piracy means high seas battles
>implying the Free Council won't be striving to buck hierarchies and study the culture of Sleepers in the era
The only ones who I can't really think of a reason to be involved with piracy are the Silver Ladder and the Guardians.

>What could conceivably represent a threat for all Mages ?

I imagine that will be discussed in the upcoming Contagion Chronicles.

>GenCon 2035

...The Abyss? Other Mages? Supernal shenanigans?

Seers will probably directly be involved with slavery as well.

I heard that Dave recently left OPP to work on Shadowrun. Is it true?

No.

Wouldn't the Abyss mess up everything forever ?

Yes.

>I heard that Dave recently left OPP to work on Shadowrun. Is it true?
The super majority of Onyx Path writers can't 'leave' onyx path because they were never employees, just contracted writers/devs.

Yes. It is the end of an era. Fare thee well, Dave Brookshaw. The best developer Mage ever had.

Brucato > Dave

This is culturally insensitive hate speech

>I heard that Dave recently left OPP to work on Shadowrun. Is it true?

I heard he was going to publish his own rpg about magical talking lizards.

>KomodoMire

>rpg about magical talking lizards
Adding plagiarism to his long list of crimes

Nothing much if i recall.

yes. He cited the cult like environment and decided he wanted a challenge

I wonder if Brucato ever posts here. Do you think he was /x/fag?

How intelligent is a frenzying kindred?
Could it operate an electronic keypad in order to get into or out of a room?

No. They've got animal cunning, but that's about it. One riding the wave could, though. The Man would still be close enough to the surface.

Brucato was too dumb to figure out how to post on reddit, I doubt he could even find Veeky Forums.

How difficult would it be to run a oneshot of VtR for a group that is familiar to gaming, but not WoD rules?
I have a plot in mind, but I am still trying to iron out details.

Arrow legacy about cutlass and various pirate things when?

For a one shot it would be easy since all the subsystems and other detritus that makes VtR 'complex' only matter in long campaigns.
The core rules are as simple as any other system.

Hey /CofD/ I was the poster a few threads back who asked about how a West Marches style CoD game would run. I've started planning it but wanted to get some hot opinions on Compacts in HtV. All players will know of each other and be members of a conspiracy theorist website I've started hosting but I'm wondering about whether it would be a good idea to:

>A. Make the website a homebrew Compact the players are a member of.

>B. Make the website part of an in game Compact (Network Zero)

>C. Don't make it a compact at all, just leave it as something they're all involved with.

Thoughts?

I am doing this for 8+ people.
I plan to pregen the pcs, 15 in total, and have the players pick them up blind. I do plan to have some, what some would deem according to their own compass, offensive characters, and the iron rule is you pick it up, you play it straight, no frills, no bullshit.
They will all be fairly fresh vamps, the closest equivalent to shovelheads you will find in a new city, each rounded up by the Duke for feeding in his fiefdom without making proper greetings and 3 of the 15 pcs will be a mole working for the Duke.
He will make them an offer: do a job for him and be granted clemency, or refuse and accept the punishment (staked and buried at riverside where the summer floods will eventually expose you to the sun).
Their job will be to locate and bring in ALIVE a daeva going around calling himself Alucard del Lucavi san Girugamesh for flagrantly violating the Masquerade so he can be made an example of. They have 3 days, and I plan to count every 1.5 hours real time as a night, and they need to find cover from the dawn asap.

Why not right here, in this very thread? Let's make one.

The Arrow swore off Sleeper conflicts after WWII. In the age of pirates, that separation had not been made, and Obsessions were chased and wars fought at the same time. Independent warships, both pirates and privateers, appealed to Arrows who wanted to run freelance military units with cutting-edge technology. Some even created a Legacy so connected to this specific technology that it's gone from state-of-the-art to quaint anachronism over the centuries. It exists side-by-side with other Arrow wargear Legacies — artillerists, cavalrymen, the cult of the battle rife.

They'll need oblations and attainments related to swordfighting and ships. Ever read On Stranger Tides? Basically pirates with Spirit magic. Animism is a comfortable fit for the milieu, it's reasonable to have pirates believing that swords, ships, the wind, the ocean, etc. have spirits.

What Path should the Legacy have? If the Legacy's related to the Black Tower faction of the Arrow, they focus on oaths, making them suited to Fate Acanthus. If they're closer to the Crucible, their wild heroics may need Life magic for backup, making them a Thyrsus doubleup (no added Ruling Arcanum, so that's bad). They shouldn't be Mastigos, because you don't need a pirate ship to travel if you have Co-Location. Obrimos could work because of Forces — power over wind and weather, essential to the age of sail. Moros might be the best choice; ghosts go well with pirates, and Matter goes well with object animism. I like Moros with Matter secondary, and attainments that enhance swords and ships both materially and spiritually.

To keep them from being a dumb kitsch Legacy with no practical advantages, I'd like them to be flexible enough that you can get away with having a vintage car and a machete instead of an authentic wooden sailing ship and a cutlass. If a figurehead can help spirit-awaken a ship, a custom hood ornament can help spirit-awaken a car.

I'd suggest A or C. With a West Marches player group, you want them to feel like they're building their successes themselves, not like a crowd of NPCs dominates the larger organization that dwarfs their PC group.

Isn't Space incredibly nerfed since it's mandatory to have a sympathetic yantra on top of a workable connection now?

Space has actually been buffed in 2e, along with Prime. It's a very powerful asset.

Let me clarify then, travelling with Space?

You can just send something familiar ahead of you. Hurts to lose the photograph method but it wouldn't have helped in pirate times anyhow.

Yeah that was my concern, it's just that Network Zero is very similar to what I had already homebrewed. I'll tweak the setting a bit and go with C I think. The players can always try and find contacts from the other compacts if they so desire.
Thanks user.

Yeah, that's why I figure Reality Stalkers as done by Legacyfag would be a pretty potent Legacy for Mastigos in 2e, as your attainments don't require sympathetic yantras, only that you've seen the location in at least a high definition photograph.

Its still easier to travel in 2e than 1e with space

Can you use remote sensory range and cast colocate on locations you are viewing live and bypass the need for using the sympathetic attainmant ?

Legacy structure: conventional Mentor/Student. They used to do pirate crews but there are too few anymore, although one or two Legacy members are involved with modern high-seas piracy.
Initiation: trials of combat, theft, flight, and pursuit. These days, usually a highway heist.
Yantras: human skull, sword/dagger/knife, rum, pistol
Oblations: sparring with swords, a scene of drunken carousing, time spent pleasing the object-spirits of your ship/car/weapons/alcohol/trophies, tribute to a spirit ally

1st Attainment: Coaxing the Spirits, Remote Control. Coaxing the Spirits can only be used with the mage's personal weapons and means of travel. Remote Control can take any valid target. Back in the day, Remote Control was useful for controlling mechanisms on board a sailing ship. It is now much more multipurpose.

2nd Attainment: Opener of the Way (non-Instant, Advanced Duration), Find the Balance. The mage performs a ceremony for a Resonant thing, Opening it to the spirits. A sword may be sharpened and polished, a handgun cleaned, a car washed and waxed. Others can assist in the ceremony, such as when a crew scours the deck of a ship. The ceremony often substitutes rum for some other liquid, such as cleaning a gun with rum. With Matter, Find the Balance is added to the effects of Coaxing the Spirits.

Yes + Live feed webcam equals easy mode travel.

3rd Attainment: Rouse Spirit, Nigredo and Albedo. The mage rouses the spirit of a weapon he has taken a human life with, or of a vehicle he has stolen a treasure with. With Nigredo and Albedo, the mage may spend 1 Mana to fully repair any weapon or vehicle whose spirit he has roused in this way.

4th Attainment: Craft Fetish (non-Instant, Advanced Duration), Windstrike. The mage's Opener of the Way rite can now be used to create fetishes. Any spirit which accepts can be bound to a fetish. Spirits the mage has roused with the 3rd Attainment are favorably inclined to become his fetishes. The Windstrike Attainment lacks most of the spell's normal functions, merely creating or removing the Heavy Winds Tilt at will, with no cost.

5th Attainment: World Walker, Ex Nihilo. The mage may pay 1 Mana to materialize a spirit he has roused with the 3rd Attainment, and a vessel with a spirit so roused may pass between the Shadow and the material, including all crew and cargo, with an instant action by the mage, who must either be controlling the vessel manually or communicate an instruction to its spirit. With Ex Nihilo, the mage may spend 1M to materialize a permanent physical copy of a weapon or vehicle whose spirit he has roused with the 3rd Attainment, although this does not create a duplicate of the roused spirit.

?
What is he plagiarizing with that?

The Brotherhood of the Demon Wind are Awakened swordmasters. They're supposed to be super weeb, but you can ignore that.

Am I the only one who hates wizards using swords? Unless you're Gandalf, of course.

I don't know, I'm kind of really digging this pirate Legacy this guy is writing out, although the fixation on rum is a little silly.

I'm thatfag, take the rum out if you like. It seemed right for the Tim Powers angle — On Stranger Tides (the book, not the almost completely unrelated movie) is basically Pirate Santeria: The Voodooing. But I don't see this as a finished Legacy I wrote, just a starting point for anybody else in the thread to fix up. What do you think is a good spirit-ritual element for the Legacy to use instead of rum?

>Fighter Double Standards
I'll have you know In THIS day and age Eldritch Knight is an accepted class archetype in the core book. Get your dated wiztard politics out of here.

Probably not.

Really though, when you can fuck holes in reality, using any mundane wepaon is a but silly.

At least swords are a potent symbol.

>Katana Wizards have always been the best part about World of Darkness

It's not just about the weapon itself here. You also awaken and cultivate the spirit of that weapon for use as a supernatural minion.

Why matter?

Not that user, but maybe for super shackles, super cages, and DRUUUUUUUUUUUUGS

>What do you think is a good spirit-ritual element for the Legacy to use instead of rum?
Sea water?

Hmm, workable. Maybe a little common in some games. Seawater is about right if your game is set inland.

Is being common an issue? Couldn't you go down to any liquor store and buy some rum?

That really just sounds like the Lords of the Inanimate

is it possible that a person could have Awakened to two different Paths in two different timelines?

Yup, spirit object magic will have spirits as a side effect no matter who does it. I really like the Lords of the Inanimate too.

Yeah, but you at least buy it, it isn't like picking dirt up off the ground. If you're sailing in a whole ocean of seawater, is it really precious enough to be a tribute to a spirit?

Yes

No. I believe your Path is pre-determined.

Maybe sea water from way out at sea, or sea water collected while in a storm?

If their lives go differently enough, sure.

Maybe. Who's to say.

Is it supposed to be part of the joke that Catalyst hasn't actually hired anyone to write a book in almost a year? Shadowrun as a line is pretty much dead at the moment.

No, I think it's more about another established gameline that has clear mage supremacy.

Oh, OK, I thought it was a knock on the one company that works slower than OPP. Shit, this joke has layers.

Is there a gameline with mages where they don't have supremacy?

Yeah, like two. Maybe MAYBE three.

There's mage supremacy, and then there's DaveB Mage Supremacy!

The closest to that would be actual balance. Like Anima, for instance. But that's just annoying weeb shit.

Why should fucking martials be the equals of wizards. Idiots.