Arby's just made a reference to The Adventure Zone D&D Podcast. Thoughts?

Arby's just made a reference to The Adventure Zone D&D Podcast. Thoughts?

Interesting. This is definitely another sign that these streamers and podcasters are bringing more mainstream attention to our hobby, but I don't know how I feel about it. I've had this gut reaction for a while now that what makes a tabletop game fun at the table just doesn't translate well into being a spectacle observed by a third party, but between the Adventure Zone and Critical Role that seems to be exactly what's attracting so many of the newbies you see on roll20.

We had club day at my college two weeks back when the semester started, and I think maybe over a third of the new signups were from people who explicitly mentioned Critical Role by name, with two others who mentioned The Adventure Zone. It might reach a point soon where it's worth listening/watching these shows as as DM, just to get a grasp on what these new players' expectations for a game are.

checked

I've not watched critical role, but the adventure zone is both assholes goofing around in D&D and also a super epic story with little player agency, depending on how far in you are. So hopefully any person that joined because of that show in particular would be fine with either.

Food for fat people

Streamers and corporate overlords are both terrible and I wish that neither had a place on this board.

its a podcast dumbass

But user, they have the meats.

Normies have already taken over this hobby and destroyed it.

There's no fighting back they've won. The question is where do we go now?

>This is definitely another sign that these streamers and podcasters are bringing more mainstream attention to our hobby

Not exactly, this is just Arby's twitter which has been filled with nerdy references since last year, this is just the fact that whoever is in charge of their twitter is a fucking nerd.

Don't play D&D? I mean, it's got a huge footprint among gamers, but it's even bigger among casual folk. Don't play the super popular thing if you're looking to maintain a select crowd. You don't even necessarily have to play something obscure, just more obscure than D&D. Hell, you can probably still play D&D, just older editions that are more obscure to folks today.

Says the guy who doesn't play roleplaying games.

Good for them. I'm glad Arby's is reaching out to some cool nerd shit and I'm glad that podcast got enough popularity to get that kind of exposure.

It's still too accepted. If you told people you were playing a tabletop game as I have at work they'd go oh wow that's cool.

I contemplated becoming a furry for this very reason, in order to inspire the same hate and revision that tabletop games used to in people but I realised all sorts of degenerate kink is permissible now. Then I came upon the answer. I need to become a nei-nazi. It's really the only reviled thing left in the West. This entirely explains why MRAs and right wing extremist groups have suddenly upsurges. They were literally all disillusioned nerds who were used to being bullied for playing magic the gathering and hate that they have no identity now as they could only have an identity from being contrarian. Hence adopted the most contrarian thing they could.

Of course ironically as more and more right wing opinions become prevalent leftist views will become reviled so they'll eventually just become feminists.

i think that our natural reaction is to reject new people from being "allowed into" our hobby, but i also think thats not neccesarily a good attitude

you're not fooling anyone. way too far, way too fast.

2/10, try harder next thread.

Neither of these things are good.

I'm thinking Arby's

You have nothing left anymore, you might as well kill yourself.

I have no real opinion on this, but it's a neat PR stunt for people who liked TAZ. The McElroys seem like nice, soft boys to me.

I'm sorry girls think you're a creepy weirdo, user.

In their defense, you are a creepy weirdo, though.

Who cares? It's D&D.

>girls are the measure of all things

I'm sorry guys think you're a creepy weirdo, user.

Fucking normies

Fuck. I don't want people to know about my special game.

There's nothing special about DnD.

Well it feels special to me. I don't want the people that used to make fun of me for playing it to get to enjoy it now.

There's always GURPS.

Arby's twitter does this sort of thing all the time.

Hell, I'm not even certain if this isn't some papercraft blog with a weird theme, and not something official

I think that the more people indulge the whims of bored shitposters like you the worse the board gets.

How very spiteful. If you learn to let go of that anger you'll be a happier person user.

Yes gurps!

The game too complex for normies, it shall forever remain pure!

Gurps pure waifu

It's fantastic for the hobby that so many people are getting into it via D&D. With this influx of casuals to D&D, it'll drive people to other systems because nobody wants to deal with the memelords that'll infest D&D.

why? because it was on arby's twitter? arbys twitter has promotions for persona 5 and the new one piece opening

Who's the character?

Gyro Zeppeli

>Oh no [thing I like] is getting popular

I never thought I would get to post this.

Who?

Fuck I forgot they posted that beautiful bastard

I think you should focus on making better threads.

Do you even play roleplaying games?

Kind of bums me out streamers and podcasters are popularising DnD of all games. There are so many more that make more entertaining games and better stories and roleplayers. DnD is like the worst beginners game in terms of bad habits and creating people who only play one system. I hope they start branching out and their fanbase isn't too obnoxious. New blood in the hobby is great and all but I'm not sure I want to listen to a bunch of "And then HE ROLLED A NAT 20 AND SEDUCED THE DRAGON XD SEX!" stories like it's the funniest thing ever. New players can be right fucking obnoxious but it's a small price to pay for new friends and seeing the hobby become an actual industry again.

Gyro Zeppeli
From Steel Ball Run. It's a bad pun.