EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Disappointed" Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: What opportunities do you lament WotC missing or squandering?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/im-set-on-fucking-you-up-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/prototype-vengeance-of-zendikar/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Thread Question: What opportunities do you lament WotC missing or squandering?
iconic masters

>What opportunities do you lament WotC missing or squandering?
O-Kagachi as you posted. Ludevic. Pirate legend being mediocre.

>O-Kagachi
>Killing off Kozilek and Ulamog
>Eliminating Core Sets
>Rashmi not being connected to Mishra

Trying this again because I got nothing last thread.

Making the first card to give a noncreature source Lifelink the Jeskai color identity instead of Naya.

I know that not every card is designed for EDH, but I always get sad when I see a card that's incidentally designed to not be used in EDH.

Will mana echoes ever be reprinted?

>
i rarely run lands that cost more than a dollar and it really doesn't impact my performance much (i win quite a lot)

Linking my post from last thread since I was a bit late.

Sorry, there wasn't a token or counters theme for the limited format :^)

Verdant catacombs worth it for 31$ for my gitrog deck? Its the last fetch I need.

This
They should have called it ManaDrain Masters
Theres fucking cards from theros and m15 in there
The whole thing is a fucking disaster but it will Still sell because mana drain lottery

Doubling Chant always makes me sad. I love that card. GB Shadowborn Apostle, I guess.

Core sets are coming back friend

it's not going to ever go down in value so think of it as renting

It's a great card for gitrog, no doubt, just depends on your budget/if you have a job.

>Too high of mana to be relevant without instantly winning the game in a constructed format
>Too rare to be relevant in a sealed format
>Doesn't do much in commander
What is her purpose? To be a shitty mythic to inflate the value of the other mythics in the set?

>A fuckton of Standard all-stars isn't iconic

They outright said Masters 25 is the nostalgia set and that Iconic wouldn't focus on it.

Inb4marsilmeme

Thanks guys, I think I'll pick it up now and do that paypal pay after delivery thing to delay the payment a bit.

he was playable in standard, not too expensive that is, there just wasnt a deck for him

>tfw already run a bunch of Processors regularly, so I can easily deal with Mairsil
>tfw nobody around here plays Mairsil

So, im gonna try Memnarch as a commander. What things should i include in the deck?

>instead of Mardu
ftfy

>Iconic Masters offers players a tour through some of the most powerful cards in over 23 years of Magic history.

Yeah I remeber the days when bogbrew witch and frost lynx spiked to $50 because they were format destroyingly powerful

Islands

Cheater story from last thread

alright, this is three years ago but I'll give it a whirl
>he was forced to mill Reef Worm, says it comes back as a 3/3, gets called out
>plays karnwalker +4 proceeds to grab at my hand saying he can pick which card to exile
>Karnwalker out, takes all exiled cards he owns and trys to get all the other exiled cards and stuffs them under karn saying "When I get his ultimate I get all these back"
>Trys to spellskite someone's equip ability
>I attack one of his ~20 walkers with a creature equipped with sword of the animist and he says "You're attacking a planeswalker so that doesn't trigger"
>some other damage to walkers bullshit
>He kills the Narset player who had out a global enchantment that would be beneficial to him and he says that it stays
>when we tell him that it actually leaves he tries to tuck it under Karn

There's a few more I'm missing but you get the idea.

As said.
They're returning core sets because they realized they couldn't reprint staples that make standard enjoyable and not a mishmash of hit or miss mechanics without them.
I want to say no shit, but what the fuck Wizards, how did R&D fail that horribly at their jobs

why do people play a social game and also think they can get away with being tremendous cheating faggots?

39 lands
60 counterspells
You are not really playing your own deck you are playing everyone elses

Can I get a second set of eyes on this? Am I missing anything?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/im-set-on-fucking-you-up-1/

You really have to ask yourself
>why did you let him force you into a game?
>why did you continue playing?
>were you that desperate for a game?
>who was phone?

does anyone else print tons of decks entirely made of proxies?
I have 3 whole decks which would have cost $400-$700 but instead they only cost about $30 because I put the paper prints in front of commons from boosters.

I used to feel bad about it but then when I see people with their $1k decks I stop feeling bad.

Starshitty order came in tonight, fuckos. 10 packs each from three sets. Wish me luck.

Why not just build budget? Making a usable deck for under 60 or so is an added level of challenge that still allows for plenty of freedom.

Liquimetal Coating
Training Grounds
Heartstone
Mycosynth Lattice
Etherium Sculptor
Grand Architect
Vedalken Archmage
Foundry Inspector
Vedalken Engineer
Chief Engineer
Lodestone Golem
Thoughtcast
Chromescale Drake
Heartstone
Mechanized Production
Thopter Spy Network
Efficient Construction
Lots of mana rocks
Mana Vortex
Land Equilibrium
Overburden
Mana Breach

Please dont reply to the bait, you know its bait and you will just shit up the thread like it does every time, be smart dont let your asperges take over you dont NEED to reply

>I have no argument so let me cherrypick a common and uncommon
>he's never stomped people with Bogbrew in sealed

It's not R&D, it's Hasbro trying to push packs

Realistically speaking, how much does a decent Angry Omnath deck cost? I'd like something in Gruul, and he seems fun.

>no Demonic Tutor

>commander makes druids tap for mana
>deck is filled with druids that already tap for mana
what

When I first started playing Magic I made a few decks that were like 15-20% proxy. It's lame as fuck to play againsg mana crypts and sylvan libraries and such with decks that cost $65 total so I would build with staples I couldn't afford.

Eventually though I realized that the aesthetic look and feel of real cards is important to the Magic experience for me, and proxies stick out like a sore thumb, so now I don't run any, and I spent a lot of money to do that.

Was it kinda dumb to spend a bunch of money on a hobby when I live in a small apartment? Yes. But if I ever get tired of magic I can sell out and get a nice Windfall of cash.

Seton's ability gets around summoning sickness so you can go turbo when he hits the field

>Into grave.
>I just cage it again by playing a bounced Mairsil or via a blink source.

We all kinda feel bad for the kid, he doesn't have any friends and got "expelled" from school.
He's not a bad kid 90% of the time but then he gets in these zones where he's just really toxic. Aspbergers will do that to you.
I say kid but he's only a year younger than me and 6'6" 300 something pounds, he would destroy at any sport but is afraid to play.

If you're going off with glimpse of nature and shit it helps to be able to tap Druids for mana without them needing haste

Picked 2 at random, but please tell me how the 3 abzan outlast guys were in every legacy deck since khans because they are really really powerful

Is anyone else not able to register on Xmage?

so he's just a pair of lightning greaves with a face?

About $150 after your fetch, Oracle, Amulet and maybe Shared Animosity. He's dirt cheap.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/prototype-vengeance-of-zendikar/

I've put Oracle and Foothills in here since I last updated, but everything else is still the same.

I like the sound of that.

Combofag here. Just built a saffi deck and I'm trying to explain the karmic guide + reveillark combo to playgroup. Can you help put it in layman's terms for me?

>was literally a +1/+1 counter theme and hydras in the set
DON'T YOU MEME ON ME BOY

He affects your entire board and can be activated at instant speed, so no, not really

Ulcerate, splatterthug and firemane angel are in every modern deck ive ever made, that deck is worth $1000s of dollars

Not that guy, but the way I see building any set as R&D is to have uncommons and up get across what you really want from the set (uncommon legendaries, cycle of kamigawa dragons, praetors, etc.) And then use commons to fill out draft archetypes for limited. Judging any set by it's commons is bad practice now that the powerlevel has been set equal to rarity

What exactly is there to play? You get your sac outlet, probably a Blasting Station or Ashnod's into play, you put Karmic Guide into play say it brings back Reveillark, sac it, bring back Reveillark, sac it, bring back Karmic Guide. Congrats, loop demonstrated, collect your trophy.

I don't get it, what's the combo? Recuring your Saffi with Reveillark and using Guide coming back from Reveillark to get Reveillark back?
Did you forget to include that this needs a sac outlet and something to actually combo with or what am I missing.

Are you blind? The set features cards that were strong when they were in Standard, with a lot of notable limited power players like Witch, Eternal Thirst and Doomed Traveler as well. You're asking for something you were never promised.

I'm glad someone noticed that stuff like Topan Freeblade despite being in origins is still pretty fucking iconic to anyone who played limited.

Kinda assumed sac outlet was implied. Soz.

What's a good commander for land destruction stax? I'd like to include at least Izzet colors.

J H O I R A
H
O
I
R
A

Did it really need the bump to uncommon though? Even though it's a nice beater in limited I don't think it warranted a boost in rarity

Sounds like you want Numot, the Devastator
Hes also white so every wrath in the game

I've tried running Jhoira before, but I'm never able to survive long enough with her for any of my suspended cards to resolve. Usually, once she hits the board, everyone focuses me.

Numot looks like a good fit. Lots of nice tax effects and enchantment support in white, too.

My 5 color kamigawa dragon deck won me a pro tour :^)

I'd talk about her casual appeal, but casuals aren't the best known for running 4-offs of things.

Oh, well, at least Baby Kolaghan is nice.

favorite spellslinger in UB or UR?

I want to draw a bunch of cards and avoid drawing attention

Dimir Taigam / Nin

Jori En. Keranos, Mizzix, Melek, and Locust God are all too scary.

>favorite spellslinger in UB
Dralnu, Lich Lord
>or UR
Jori En
>I want to draw a bunch of cards
Definitely Jori En
>and avoid drawing attention
Jori En suits all of your needs.

I do have some budget and edited precon decks, but there's a frustration knowing cards that could win me the game or stop my opponents from winning that cost like $30 and I can't justify that much on one slice of cardboard

>What opportunities do you lament WotC missing or squandering?

The masterpiece series.

I loved the BfZ masterpieces and the Kaladesh ones, they were 2 sets apart, but then they printed amonhkek with the shit looking masterpieces.
They should've just stopped at Kaladesh, waited for phyrexia to print more

Some groups find any U/x commander scary. I can't even get Tomorrow to last a full turn cycle.

>he would destroy at any sport but is afraid to play.
Which is actually kind of tragic, serious sports teams have done more for most gracelessly socially inept people than just about anything else I've encountered.

>RWB
>Came out in 2007
>Destroy two lands
This card is vintage Murika.

Find some friends who also want to play Budget EDH? My friend group has an established $60 limit on any given deck.

What if they buy a precon for $35 and the value rises to $61 or more?

$60 spent to build it, or do you check value every time?

>Find some friends
My friends and I are not inclined towards trying to cheese the limit. We're all broke college students, and the limit is a helpful guidelines to avoid an arms-race the makes us all even more broke than we already are.

I suppose "Ballpark 40-60" is more accurate than "$60 limit". We're not going to refuse to play someone for their deck being a smidge more expensive, but playing with a $40 deck versus a $300 one is silly.

>inb4 obligatory That Guy post

Due to the way that thing is worded, it's actually arguably better than giving the spells lifelink - multiple copies stack, and stack further with a single instance of Lifelink.

>user btfo

Root Maze to fuck people over with Winter Orb even harder

>xyz is a nice format but real men play EDH

what are comemeder players always wrong?

>orc

How's this for a start for Numot:

Price of Glory
Storm Cauldron
Mana Vortex
Mana Breach
Overburden
Aether Flash
Burning Sands
Winter Orb
Static Orb
Arcane Lab
Karmic Justice
Martyr's Bond
Tectonic Instability
Uba Mask
Ruination

>sac all your treasures at instant speed for guaranteed value in response to Vandalblast

Neat

>budget ramos
>every multicolor charm
>shitty tri-lands/taplands for manabse
>door to nothingness and ramos as wincons
>trophy mage and fabricate to find chromatic lantern for fixing

can this hot garbage idea get any hotter?

Dont forget legacy weapon

>play legacy weapon
>pay UGRWB
>exile legacy weapon
Check mate atheists

Tarmanoa is exactly why it is a travesty that Soul Fire got made. The mechanic got firmly established as Naya. But they decided to fuck that color combination by making the first instance of it that references lifelink by name into Jeskai.

Prismatic Omen + Last Stand

Also, my captcha said Terminus

Why not play gay kings and have both?

Yup, make it have Zedru as the secret commander and do the whole harmless offering into all sorts of bullshit.

Well, it didn't exist at the time. I guess now I could, but I really liked that mechanic in Naya. Green's lifegain is surprisingly underutilized by WOTC despite being part of its identity since the very beginning.

Also, unlike Blue whose previous damage dealing (Psionic Blast and similar) is now considered to be mistake, Green still gets Hurricanes and shit so it really makes more sense in Green.

>implying it's not just a RW thing, and Tarmanoa and Soul Fire are just RWx cards that cash in on it