Terrain General my first thread edition

wip projects and terrain ideas.

got an itch for a new board so i ordered some supplies and while waiting made this lovely outhouse to see if i still got it.

trees and hills are made some 7 years ago with wire and clay.

Other urls found in this thread:

makezine.com/2014/09/24/smoothing-out-your-3d-prints-with-acetone-vapor/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Very nice. I made terrain once as a kid, and I used thin squares of plywood and I decorated them using small stones (real ones) and grass and trees from a model train store.

How did you do that pool of water?

thank you
its pretty relaxing to just build something and let your imagination fly.

i searched for good way to do water from vallejo products to woodland scenics but found out that the best stuff is regular 2 part epoxy resin.

too bad mine was quick dry and i messed up the nice even surface it had, too much green colouring too.

These arent really wip, even though the building on the left hasnt been touched in 18 months.
Made these a while back and they've never seen a table, but I thought the kind of rivets I used on the roof planks might look good on your outhouse.

Nice

I'll post some stuff that might be useful to you anons.

Nice. I'll be doing some shinto shrines and scenery for my Daisho games tomorrow

last thing I made as this

Bumping with my stuff.

Please tell me there's a disco ball in the works.

I wish there were more guides on making nice clean scifi terrain. 90% of urban stuff is 40k ruins or WW2 ruins. I want to make a board for Infinity but it's pretty rare to see anybody making cool cyberpunk boards.

Bump for quality

This thread is relevant to my interests

Some stuff I'm bashing out before Necromunda arrives. 3D printed parts with hard drive packaging for the bases.

This stuff is cute! I require moar!

Every Christmas the Ferrero company sends my employer a display stand topped with a mountain of fake Ferrero Roche... Polystyrene balls, wrapped in golden paper and glued together. I've just been poking cocktail sticks through them and painting them green... PVA wash seems to have taken some of the colour out of the flock though.

Some of you faggots lack creativity.
Good to see you're having a go though, keep at it. Thanks for the pdf tutorials. Heres some wip.

I wanted to do a grimy scifi piece. Could be leman russ storage, or a scene for an alien egg infestation. Im yet to decide.

Large warhouse. Un enterable.

Removable roofing. I drilled holes through the wood the sticked around it. Its a system im going to use alot in barracks id like to builld.

Does anyone have any plans/blueprints/templates for lasercut MDF terrain?

There's a local makerspace that has a laser cutter that I thought might be worth trying out.

If you search Thingiverse for 'laser terrain' you'll get a few hits. Was looking into converting/building my own cutter at some point, plotting your own designs doesn't seem terribly hard; you do layouts in a 2D vector program (Inkscape gets referenced a lot), and I think you designate cut depth with different colors.

Not same user, but here's a bunch of posters that plaster some terrain I made for Rogue Stars. Because most of the terrain we've got is old MDF stuff that doesn't have much detail on, little splashes of colour make it a bit more interesting.

Man I wish I could get some stuff like that for Necromunda. Can't find any decent terrain.

So what do you do with these? Just print them out at home and glue them to your models?

Its just foamboard and balsa wood.

Can be had fairly cheaply if you look for it and is really easy to work with

Great idea, thanks user.
Learning to use a laser cutter (maybe also 3D-printer) might be my winter project.

Well, not to the models, to the terrain - I had a lot of bland, featureless walls that needed something on them to make them a little less dull. Print them out, cut them out, use a bit of PVA glue to attach them to the terrain, and then give them a wash with some inks to make them fit in a little better.

Just pirate yourself an old-ass copy of adobe illustrator and export your drawings as .dxf

That's pretty nice, I'd like to see more similar stuff, it's great!

It's a hell of a lot harder to make than ruins, and less practical in play. Really not surprised that most Infinity players and similar that I've seen go all-in on the laser cut wood kits. So much less effort in the long run.

>Great idea, thanks user.
Woops, meant .

I suspect I am too cack-handed and retarded to produce good templates without much laborious optimisation, so I was hoping to do it the lazy way and skip all that.

But you are right, that is the more appropriate way to go about it.

Still have some stuff I made yesterday that I'll post because it's relevant.

Working on the last three pages of this article now.

Is that yours? Toy pelican on a couple of beads?

I believe it's dollar store plastic animals and beads. When I come home from work I usually swing by the craft room to see what my GF has made for tabletop.

Somebody once told that orc the world was gonna' roll him.

Now, he ain't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Is there anything I can use in a frozen forest other than trees and snow piles?

Snowy rocks?

Big ol' ice shard pillars, if you're feeling a bit fantastical.

There is no way modern GW approves of this nowadays, right?

Or alien? It's for 40k but it works.

Old ruins, frozen lakes and an abandoned cabin

Thanks a bunch

Nah it's not too difficult m8, the toughest part is working out the location of tabs and their holes and remembering to make them the same length as your material thickness.
I drew and cut these 6mm things (roofs not shown) as an experiment a few months back, didn't take me all that long.
Give it a bash you'll like it.

DIY terrain is so comfy.

You have to put in any tolerances when you're designing tab & slot for a laser cutter, or does the burning take care of that?

The amount of burny-ness depends on the speed and strength you set the laser too, and depending on what you're cutting. But I've never had any problems fitting tabs into slots, even with the lowest possible power so as to minimise burning they just takes a bit of a push

This is what real warhammer 40,000 looked like.

user. You're still using expended polystyrene, and you dare say others lack creativity?
>Oh the ironey.avi.jpg

I've been working on this industrial set from wargamestournaments. Trying to get it done quick so its just silver and black and brown washes for oil stains and grime.

Am thinking of blowing it all up.

My 'intact' urban board that is. Would be a lot more handy for games with more holes in everything and some piles of debris.

Nice! That's awesome and very old school.

That looks pretty convincing, got any other terrain for it to go with?

Throwing a whole bunch of Yugos I bought wholesale together for some post-apocalyptic wargaming. Sorry for shitty phone camera.

Any of y'all go balls deep on terrain boards like pic related?

I only really play at my FLGS, I don't have McMansion spare rooms to game in (Bonglish).

I'd love to one day. Alas, I have no room and limited budget.
Currently I am working on a large complex as a center piece for my 15mm modern middle east board.
I'll try and remember to take pics of it once its more than cut up pieces of foamboard.

Same here, no room, no budget. Or rather budget could be had but going all out on a piece like that means not getting value for money in terms of modular terrain. Fancy boards don't get used much after all.

whoever suggested applying a bunch of primer to 3D printed parts then sanding them a few days ago: thank you! It works wonderfully and opened the way to a bunch more stuff. I didn't want to print much scenery because it would have been pretty obvious, but that's not the case anymore.

Left is an untreated piece, right is one I treated with different sprays till I got one that did the job (hence the black and grey mixed up on the part) and then sanded with a fine grit.

You can also use acetone vapor to smooth the part. makezine.com/2014/09/24/smoothing-out-your-3d-prints-with-acetone-vapor/

don't have pictures of the terrain ive done with me but this thread is too comfy not to bump

Only works on ABS. Technically you can vapor smooth PLA, but the chemicals involved are too volatile to make it worth the risks.

>Scnery on the Cheap

I'll not believe GW is good again, until they publish articles like this.

>Tfw Ogre Kingdoms terrain tutorials with mawpits from broken christmas balls and stuff

I've got some of those 'wargames model mods' fuel silos. Neat little kits, if not a little pricey for a conversion kit for a pringles can.

I'm half tempted to go out and buy some Pringles just so I can use the cans in something.

Didn't know those existed. sounds unnecessary.
not my dumpster, but remember kids, scatter terrain is extremely important!

Any advice for what kind of size terrain should be for 6mm games? I'm trying to make my own papercraft fort but the scaling is fucking with me right now.

About 1:300 if you're looking for a scale to work with. 1:285 also works.

Those are great!