/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/the-labor-party-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
Worst character deaths? Yours or an NPC.
>5th edition cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

Other urls found in this thread:

img.fireden.net/tg/image/1446/95/1446957588933.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=lOtuZ00NkVE
youtube.com/watch?v=nSDVK_snQIs
youtube.com/watch?v=-pRROs8oerU
youtube.com/watch?v=6lbmzbOTBZI
youtube.com/watch?v=7AJMhFAxG98
youtube.com/watch?v=9l-DtidfD2M
youtube.com/watch?v=Jm-upHSP9KU
youtube.com/watch?v=inxPwmXHC0E
youtube.com/watch?v=GRIiXuYULbY
youtube.com/watch?v=M9BNoNFKCBI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Themes: Out of the Frying Pan into the Fire; Chains, metaphorical and literal; Internet and Dreams; Greed, both Human and Fey
Mood: Futureshock

Important element for this to work would be incorporate human megacorporations with True Fae or Hedge. Any suggestions?

Just turned down a guy with "she was raped and now seeks revenge" character. I am doing it right, /cofd? Why do they keep sending me literal attack helicopters? I heard that wod attract friks of all sorts but it's simply getting ridiculous at this point. Not even one(!) normalfag character.

>Worst character deaths?
Trying to save friend from a weird rehab facility run by tick-people. We thought the pregnant nurse at the door was okay, turns out she'd just recently fed. Sold us out, I got latched with two or three of their 'spawn' and sent out into the world. Walked in front of a semi on the interstate just to end it rather than die drained, insane, and being an incubator for tick-people.

Why did you turn it down? A lot of people write trauma into their backstories, which is even more likely to occur considering the world of darkness itself. Was it just written in a cringe way?

What game are you running? And yeah, I would have turned it down too.

God-Machine Mortals

But it was like... a central concept of his character. All she was about is how she's 18, and had those parent problems, then raped the trained and now seeks revenge. I mean I specifically mentioned that if you dudes wanna play a chik then make her a fleshed out character, a person. No magic realms, no whoring. Though warlord, bitch criminal boos, professional prosecutor, mom with her kids killed, a hunter. Those are ok. But the bio he gave me...
Vampires

Anyone got the Fedora homebrew book?

>Players borrow car from another vampire
>Travel to another city
>Get caught up in the local conflict
>Stake another vamp and pack him into the trunk to interrogate him latter
>Return home and hand over the car forgetting they left a guy inside
So what was the important thing you forgot while playing(either as a player or as ST)

Why is it so easy for Mages to dish out Aggravated damage? They seem to be the biggest nukes. Everyone else is stuck with situational shit. Even worse, Mages can do it at sensory range and give it an AoE effect.

Define "easy".

img.fireden.net/tg/image/1446/95/1446957588933.pdf

For a point of Mana and a single Reach, Unraveling becomes a bit much. Don't you think? Paradox hits aren't going to deter a Mage who really wants to kill that Vampire.

I didn't read the sheet, but your description about the pc doesn't seem bad at all. Not sure why you turned it down.

Who is the best artist for World of Darkness character inspiration and why is it Oingo Boingo?
youtube.com/watch?v=lOtuZ00NkVE
youtube.com/watch?v=nSDVK_snQIs
youtube.com/watch?v=-pRROs8oerU
youtube.com/watch?v=6lbmzbOTBZI
youtube.com/watch?v=7AJMhFAxG98
youtube.com/watch?v=9l-DtidfD2M
youtube.com/watch?v=Jm-upHSP9KU
youtube.com/watch?v=inxPwmXHC0E

Almost missed one.
youtube.com/watch?v=GRIiXuYULbY

Good taste user

Thank you!

Insanity is on my MtAw playlist and boy do I love it

Do you think it works as an analogy for a specific part of MtAw or just Awakening as a setting in general?

Also some of the tracks seem like they would fit surprisingly well for Beast.

Not really. It's not as easy as you make it out to be. You have to pay 15 Experiences to get to Adept level from character creation, or go into the game with absolutely no Merits and then pay 5. It's also still subject to spellcasting and Paradox rules, so it's not like Unraveling spells will be an instant win. An Adept can only up the Potency by 3 for free, and then beyond that he has to take penalties and use yantras if he wants to spell to be especially powerful and reliable. So with no penalties that's 4 agg damage. Aimed spells can always miss. At Adept level, using Reach for sensory range on top of instant casting and agg damage means at least 6 Paradox dice you have to contend with, meaning the spell will either be expensive, warped, or hit you with resistant bashing damage. And can still potentially stick you with a Paradox Condition. And it would of course take more penalties or more Reach (meaning at least another 3 Paradox die) to make the spell aoe.

It's doable, but not exactly "easy".

Hmm imho you could fit it either with Banisher who was badly scared by his awakening or order mage who has particular problem with the fallen world and the way exarchs control it.

It's easier to lock enemies down than blow them up. It's also far more dangerous. Mages end threats, they don't make fireworks.

Don't werewolves have the easiest access to agg damage, from a mechanical standpoint? All they have to do is eat you.

I'll try asking again since my post was right at the end of the thread. My only experience with WoD is from playing Vtmb, but it got me wondering about the lore of Vampires. Specifically, how do vampires deal with summer? I'm talking lorewise. In game, it's always night, and I imagine you guys take liberties with time in your game sessions except for when tension is needed. For a good chunk of the year, it's only truly dark outside for a couple of hours. I imagine vampires can barely manage to go outside for a sip of blood before they have to start running for safety, or just stay in their havens for several months each year and rely solely on their ghouls. Do they just have longer nights since it's, y'know, the World of Darkness?

Many vampires keep ghoul retainers, or otherwise have people in their employ, to take care of things for them during daylight hours. The answer is kind of simple. Allowances are obviously made for the story in the sense that your ST probably won't be keeping a totally strict and realistic deadline for you, but vampires just go out when they can, and make it back to a safe place before sunrise.

Anyone shared CtD20 yet?

That would require them to actually get you down. It's not that practical.

Mages get it the "easiest", but it's still not *easy* per se. Well, not usually.

The nights are the same in the WoD. Vampires probably prefer Winter over Summer for that very reason.

If vampires have a mage as a buddy, they could get them to make a 'sunlight protection' artifact.

But vampires fear wizards, so it's highly unlikely.

Only works on humans, spirits and other uratha.

No beasts have the easiest access to aggravated damage through limb from limb and lair traits

So a Gangrel w/ 'claws of the unholy' frenzies and the Rahu enters death rage. They both tear into each other. Who wins?

Debateable. Though I did consider it.

The Mastigos hiding in the bushes. Responsible for instigating the encounter.

>But vampires fear wizards, so it's highly unlikely.

In the CofD, unlike WOD, there's no inherent or default antagonism among the various templates. The splats are generally assumed to mind their own business, and any individual or greater relations are left solely to the discretion of individual chronicles.

"Vampires fear wizards" only to the extent that mages actually know about vampires and possess the supernatural wherewithal to defend themselves against their machinations.

A "sunlight protection artifact" is a bad idea for no other reasons than the mage would be inviting unwanted attention to himself and other mages, with other mages very likely to stop such a foolish idea and castigate the offending mage.

Was getting at OWoD, not CofD. Don't know enough about the latter to refute or debate you further.

>A "sunlight protection artifact" is a bad idea for no other reasons than the mage would be inviting unwanted attention to himself and other mages, with other mages very likely to stop such a foolish idea and castigate the offending mage.

This is assuming the Forces Mage in-question is handing them out like candy, which just won't be the case. A single artifact, or a couple, isn't going to start drawing nosey nosers.

I don't buy the idea that "mages are ignorant about other supernaturals", myself.

Likewise of the opposite. It's a shared setting.

>Only works on humans, spirits and other uratha.

Mages are humans.

While a Forces sunlight protect magical item would protect a vampire against the damage caused by sunlight, would it also prevent the physiological and psychological pull of the daysleep?

>The Mastigos hiding in the bushes. Responsible for instigating the encounter.

Nope. it would be the douche Acanthus who set his plan in motion for the Mastigos to manipulate the woof and leech.

Good question. Maybe Mind would help.

I doubt it. It also wouldn't prevent them from frenzying under direct sunlight.

If the Forces Mage also has Mind, then yes. Otherwise, nope.

Every single Order Mage has at least 1 dot in Occult, so the thought of them being ignorant about other Supernaturals is pretty fucking retarded.

Sure they might not all know about the intricacies of the Vampiric Curse, or of the existence of Prometheans, or where a Demon gets their Covers.

But Mages being ignorant of other Supernaturals is retarded bullshit from oWoD.

Is there a qualitative or quantitative difference in the extent and accuracy of the information possessed by different beings all with Occult X.

For instance, would a mage with Occult 2 really know the same things as a plain vanilla human with Occult 2?

Would Mind be enough to circumvent a vampire's need for daysleep?

Isn't daysleep a physical component of the vampiric curse?

In additional to Forces, I would probably require both Mind and Death.

Not for the purpose of eating for essence

I wouldn't say so.

I mean really CofD doesn't really have the best rules for differentiating levels of knowledge within their dot and test system.

I guess Mages just have more opportunity to 'fact check' the results of their Occult tests than Mages, who have to stake their lives on whether they're in the know or not.

A vampire could probably pull it off for a single 'day', but that's pushing it.

All of use here could stay up 48 hours, but that's not very healthy now is it?

I imagine you'd only need to visit the Mysterium to learn about the other Templates.

How do you figure mages and werewolves have easier access especially since mages have to be adepts and woofs only work on a very limited amount of splats?

Don't expect to get that information for free.
Remember, the Mysterium only gives information to the worthy.
Which in most cases means "people who do favours for them".

This thread is dangerously close to another splat war

You'd probably have better luck, if not necessarily as wide or extensive a selection, at your local Free Council Lorehouse.

Really? I feel that it's running the smoothest it has in a very long time.

>"I want to know more about this woofs. I want them dead. I refuse to say why"
>"Don't care for the 'whys', I will give you the rundown as long as you bring me back their corpses. For reasons"

Done

It's not like it matters. Magefags will win it. Like they always do.

Was it ever revealed what the Secret Concord in the Boston stuff actually is? I heard it was really lame.

Yeah, just wait until all the shitposters wake up.

According to this Not really.

Could we not start?

The talk on splats working together has been great.

>user thinks aggravated damage is what gives mages an edge over the others

>splats working together
We are the World (of Darkness)
youtube.com/watch?v=M9BNoNFKCBI

Woops, missclicked for the second one.

Sounds like something a werewolf fag would think.

Ah, got it, just one guy trying to instigate splat wars way too hard.

>visiting the local Free Council Lorehouse.

I would rather fornicate with the Abyss.

Not only do the Free Council still expect something of "value" like cold hard cash for access to non-members, but you're just as likely to find useless Sleeper crap than items and resources of legitimate supernatural value.

If you want DVD's of all Sleeper movies about werewolves, visit the Lorehouse, if you want good information and assistance in learning about and combatting werewolves, you talk to the Mysterium (or maybe the local Arrows).

Has anyone watch the new NBC show, Midnight Texas?

Does it have any good inspirations for CofD?

Mysterium has it's own issues, didn't think of Arrows though. That's a pretty solid idea for finding weaknesses.

If by inspiration you mean a mary sue vampire and what looks like your average cross over chronicle idea, then yes.

Also with the gypsy focus its more OWoD than CofD.

The local Arrow might not be able to give you a lecture on werewolf pack structure or politics, but they're a wealth of information about killin' supernatural stuff.

However, they're going to want to know the who and why about your werewolf hunting. On the plus side, if they agree with you, they just might offer some active assistance.

Werefaggots still sore over the kinetic shield discussions

Isn't there a witch character in Midnight Texas.

Is she in any way similar or representative of Awakening mages?

Reminder that werewolves only think with their claws

Stop making fun of woofs,

As an enlightened and superior being like a mage, you should not needlessly or gratuitously demean lesser species and animals.

A truly cultured mage always has a sense of noblesse oblige.

Finally, someone who gets it! Its not their fault their splat sucks, they were chargen'd that way.

>Stop making fun of woofs

Indeed. Any vitriol should be saved for those filthy, parisitic undead leeches.

>Is she in any way similar or representative of Awakening mages?
No, nothing about any of the magical practices in Midnight correspond to Awakening in anyway, because Awakening is boring and not based in any real practices, unlike OWoD

If you can stay awake, you can do stuff during the day, provided you're fully protected from the sun. A basement office is nice to have.

Is the witch in Midnight Texas representative of Ascension mages, and if so, what Tradition?

Acanthus only doin' it cuz an Obrimos duel arcaned him.
Obrimos only doin' it cuz a Thyrsus healed him.
Thyrsus only doin' it cuz a Moros paid him.

Or good sense from nocrossoverland.

That's absolutely hilarious. Because katanas, trenchcoats, cyborgs, and wuxia kung fu just scream real world occultism, right?

She kinda reminds me of a Verbena, but more likely fits one of the crafts that I'm less than familiar with.

Yes, in fact they do. Because real world occultism is filled with retards who think their magic is real.

>retards who think their magic is real
That does sound like Ascension.

Yeah far more than awakening DaveB cocksucker.

I've been playing a bit of Vamp and mortal recently.
But i want to try a something new, wich system would you suggest for a new WoD player?

While you wasted your time dating girls I studied Vicissitude

How do you manage to type when you're bent over and taking father's thrusting cock?

If you've already got Vampire under your belt, you might as well see what all the Mage fuss is about.

Literally no one likes that book.

It's still Ascension though, isn't it?

Avoid Ascension like the retarded plague it is.